• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Reading this one today

23077.jpg

It's a fun one, and Lawrence Campbell's first work on the books I believe. Really love his stuff. Pretty funny side by side a Latour drawn story too, they are so different. Also one of the very few things we get set during the second world war, for all the Nazi imagery there is in Hellboy. Where you at, torch of liberty?

I had.forgot how absolutely incredible the colours by Dave Stewart make Latour's pencils look in this volume. Some absolutely jaw dropping stuff, especially during the
dream/spirit talk in the barn.

What would you want it to be about?

A Batman/Ninjak team-up book in reverse. Bruce and Colin are forced to work together, and they eventually turn on each other because Batman can't stand the arrogant prick and Ninjak finds Batman's sense of justice insufferable. They eventually arrive to amicable terms after beating the shit out of each other, but still hate each other's guts.

VanWinkle

Haha, my man. You even did the spines and under the dustcovers. Those look phenomenal, they even kept consistency on the back covers, I love the contrast of the red and blue. If you are reading by OHC, how exactly does vader down fit in, in terms of collections?

Darth Vader Vol. 2 will have the Vader Down stuff, presumably in proper order.

VanWinkle

Have you ever read Star Wars Legacy? If not, you'd better buy that Epic Collection that just came out. You can read it while you're not reading the 4th Goon Library edition. ;)

I want to, but I hate how expensive it is. There are so many books on my wishlist that are cheaper that it's hard to make myself buy it.

Have you ever made terrible life choices? I have! I also already own the complete TMNT run and Locke & Key. Also, most of Transformers from a Humble Bundle sale.

DC/Valiant crossover next :D

Spoiler: Batman pats Ninjak on the head and says, "There, there."

Star Wars and Vision are the only things I read from Marvel so they won by default. But I could see them winning out even if I read other Marvel books. I love Vader and the cast of characters that were introduced and actually getting their own book in December. The droids are fantastic.

I'm behind on everything by six months because MU, but I agree with you. The Star Wars stuff is consistently quality, and I look forward to it more than anything else. I have to hit up the miniseries next.

TheFlow

Banned
Star Wars and Vision are the only things I read from Marvel so they won by default. But I could see them winning out even if I read other Marvel books. I love Vader and the cast of characters that were introduced and actually getting their own book in December. The droids are fantastic.
Unless you have a robot/sci-fi fetish there are some other marvel titles on par if not that better than vision.

The Death of X was my last hope to get back into X books. I'm off them all now. That book was a POS, but luckily I got it for free for buying Champions.
Hopefully this leads to an X-line relaunch and maybe we get some good X books out of that, but right now the only hope for a good X book lies with Extraordinary and, well, that's a mixed bag as it is.
Have you ever made terrible life choices? I have! I also already own the complete TMNT run and Locke & Key. Also, most of Transformers from a Humble Bundle sale.
You couldn't have picked up Edward Scissorhands?

Oooo good idea.

Already bought her Legends of Wonder Woman but whyyyy not

edit: oh she already read the first three and hated it :p

Heh. My daughter also didn't like the first arc of Legends of Wonder Woman, but once the story moves off the island, she fell in love with it. I'd almost skip the first two issues since they're so heavy on unnecessary table setting.

Unless you have a robot/sci-fi fetish there are some other marvel titles on par if not that better than vision.

No robot fetish. Big Tom King fan. I really don't know the Marvel universe. Only tried Vision because of King as I had no history with the character at all. Underneath the characters though, Vision is just a smartly written comic that explores what it is to be human. Could have been any robot family.

Top 5 DC

Supergirl/ Nightwing
Power Girl/ Aquaman
Harley Girl/ Wally West
Ivy Girl / Swamp Thing
Batgirl/ Damian
Phantom Girl

Marvel

Rogue
She Hulk
Kitty Pryde
Hulk
Spiderman

Mindwipe

Almost all of it. It's just missing Dark Prelude, Dark Cybertron, Last Stand of the Wreckers and the last few issues of the main books.

Don't sleep on the other stuff either. G.I. Joe: The Last Laugh is great.

And I would say Dark Cybertron is the only thing that's actually essential to understand the other books, though the others are great.

But those books are 50% off on CMX right now...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
finished Saga vol 2 on my lunch break

OK, i remember all of this now. i'm about to be introduced to a couple of journalists soon and i think that's the last issue i read of the series.

do things start to come together a little bit soon? it still very much feels like a sprawl.

finished Saga vol 2 on my lunch break

OK, i remember all of this now. i'm about to be introduced to a couple of journalists soon and i think that's the last issue i read of the series.

do things start to come together a little bit soon? it still very much feels like a sprawl.

I'd say the next arc does have some major payoffs, yea.

I have a better answer haha but I don't want to infer anything. I feel like 3 brings a lot of things together and has some major payoffs to shake things up for vol 4

People will probably read it till after JLvsSS when JLA launches.

JLA, sales wise, will probably end up like all the other Justice Leagues that aren't JLI and don't have all or most of the Big Seven. Then we'll get the "return to core values" Justice League (in time for the movie?) and the cycle will begin anew.

TheFlow

Banned
No robot fetish. Big Tom King fan. I really don't know the Marvel universe. Only tried Vision because of King as I had no history with the character at all. Underneath the characters though, Vision is just a smartly written comic that explores what it is to be human. Could have been any robot family.
Man if you ever get marvel unlimited we can fix that for you. Sam Wilson and black panther are the only two I can think of atm that are on the same level writing wise

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spend the 8 dollars. Tizoc wrote a whole guide to transformers comics, including where to start with the humble bundle. It really is quite amazing

can / should I skip the $15 tier then? because $15 is a bit steep for me right now

can / should I skip the $15 tier then? because $15 is a bit steep for me right now

If you're not interested in Revolution, then yeah. A lot of the setup for Revolution is missing anyway like the All Hail Optimus arc of The Transformers. Even if you are, it'll be on sale before the year is out anyway.

I bought the $20 tier because it ended up saving me money on the MASK and Micronauts one-shots, and I wanted to read ROM anyway.

And I really wanted those trading cards. I have never ordered a physical item from Humble Bundle, so we'll see how that goes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what do you use to read those humble comics?

Rhaknar

On a computer: ComicRack
Android: Perfect Viewer

iOS has ComicZeal which is meant to be pretty good.

Humble offers PDFs as well but I'm not really into PDF readers for comics.

is that android app free?

Heh. My daughter also didn't like the first arc of Legends of Wonder Woman, but once the story moves off the island, she fell in love with it. I'd almost skip the first two issues since they're so heavy on unnecessary table setting.

I meant she doesn't like Moon Girl...we will see soon enough if Legends was a hit.

First leg of journey complete! I only read three comics, sigh. One of them was pretty hefty and one of them was...well. Some quick impressions.

All-Star Batman #3::Are you kidding me with the deep cuts in this book? Fucking
KGBeast
is in this book and he's a god damn monster. That page with
the Royal Flush Gang
ha ha ha holy shit. Just a fun, fast-paced book. Duke shines in this book. My one complaint is the
back story about Bruce and Harvey's "real" first meeting
which is heavyhanded and dull and undermines established developments between these characters. Still...really happy with this book.

Black Monday Murders #3: This book is so insanely good. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite books. I love the way it plays with format and expectations.
You will never understand what I really am
...FUCKING CHILLS. These characters are so fascinating, I really can't wait to read what happens next.

Black Science #25: And this was the stinker. This issue was so boring I literally fell asleep dozens of times. It probably took me an hour to get through the damn thing. Granted, I only got an hour of sleep last night, but I managed to keep turning all 50ish pages of BMM just fine.

I feel like Remender has kind of checked out on this one. The major new character, what's his name...
the boss man
? God he's boring, and his motives are so simplistic. In fact everyone is pretty boring, including
returning characters lIke Pia's mom and Kadir
. Especially the latter. The witch arc was a horrible mess and this story actually manages to be worse. Bums me out to drop a Remender book buy I've grown to hate this one. A shame, it had such a strong start.

TheFlow

Banned
I meant she doesn't like Moon Girl...we will see soon enough if Legends was a hit.

First leg of journey complete! I only read three comics, sigh. One of them was pretty hefty and one of them was...well. Some quick impressions.

All-Star Batman #3::Are you kidding me with the deep cuts in this book? Fucking
KGBeast
is in this book and he's a god damn monster. That page with
the Royal Flush Gang
ha ha ha holy shit. Just a fun, fast-paced book. Duke shines in this book. My one complaint is the
back story about Bruce and Harvey's "real" first meeting
which is heavyhanded and dull and undermines established developments between these characters. Still...really happy with this book.

Black Monday Murders #3: This book is so insanely good. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite books. I love the way it plays with format and expectations.
You will never understand what I really am
...FUCKING CHILLS. These characters are so fascinating, I really can't wait to read what happens next.

Black Science #25: And this was the stinker. This issue was so boring I literally fell asleep dozens of times. It probably took me an hour to get through the damn thing. Granted, I only got an hour of sleep last night, but I managed to keep turning all 50ish pages of BMM just fine.

I feel like Remender has kind of checked out on this one. The major new character, what's his name...
the boss man
? God he's boring, and his motives are so simplistic. In fact everyone is pretty boring, including
returning characters lIke Pia's mom and Kadir
. Especially the latter. The witch arc was a horrible mess and this story actually manages to be worse. Bums me out to drop a Remender book buy I've grown to hate this one. A shame, it had such a strong start.
Dropped it at 21.

Top Bottom