• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Ross61

So a few things. Stephen Byrne is likely to be drawing more issues of Green Arrow in the future and probably other things.

Also this apparently leaked:
9vn8i667sbrx.jpg

The rumored Writer/Artist are
Tom Taylor
and
Stephen Byrne
. Also it rumored to be embargoed and to be released tomorrow.

And here's Didio and Lee on next REBIRTH Wave, Their 2-Year Story, & the Inevitable DC/WATCHMEN Crossover

Also, we may be getting a: Batman/TMNT, Wonder Woman 77', and Swamp Thing animated movies.

VanWinkle

Grinded Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone today to finish it up, as I was missing reading comics. GREAT book, though. Really exceeded my expectations, since everyone who has told me to read it first read it themselves when they were very young. But yeah, it was awesome.

Anyway, going to read this now:

9npKW7g.jpg
1ZnbaPh.jpg

eW3KsjR.jpg
oKoLHip.jpg

mreddie

Okay,

Howard the Duck, the little series that could (of course Hickman kinda messed things up).

I was really astounded he got a new solo, all because he was in a movie, not the main movie but popped up for 7 seconds after the credits of that movie and all of a sudden, he was put back on the main Marvel scene.

The preWars run was silly, but it was a right tone for it. Howard somehow tying up to Secret Wars....the first one was clever and Tara was a good sidekick to Howard who was a sane man in a insane world.

Post Wars, Howard decided to go home but then again, would it still be home? After all the years on Earth, it was his home and after meeting with his opposite sex clone, becoming a temporary Herald and trapped in a Deadly Game hunt with Squirrel Girl, I think he had more fun than beefing with Dr. Bong.

Spoilers from Issue 8-11

Meeting with Bev kinda put things in perspective for Howard and despite being his main companion, it was kinda sad to see both drift apart but then, in comes Bev...Lea Thompson who leads into the last arc where it becomes a meta commentary on writers controlling a comic characters fate. Howard then died only to be alive because Strange but in the between, he thought he lived a full life and the powers that be gave Howard a choice, he gave it but it wasn't to be rich or powerful, he just wanted his friends to be happy. Bev was one of them and it seems he'll be the first customer of Bev's new Vet Clinic.

It was a great run, Chip and Joe got Howard right and I was kinda nervous the last issue but overall, if Marvel does mew series with Howard, it would be hard to top the Zdarsky run.

howard-the-duck-2015-001-007.jpg

Grinded Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone today to finish it up, as I was missing reading comics. GREAT book, though. Really exceeded my expectations, since everyone who has told me to read it first read it themselves when they were very young. But yeah, it was awesome.

My parents just started that book and they are loving it too. :) Which surprised me, they are both book snobs ha ha. But we are taking them to Harry Potter Land next week so they were well motivated.

TRYING DESPERATELY to get my daughter through the famous spoiler in Book 6 before we get there but still several chapters away. :( Fingers crossed that nobody wrecks it while we are there. Or that I can rock those chapters out while we're hanging out in airports tomorrow.

That Matt Wagner Trinity book is AWESOME btw

VanWinkle

My parents just started that book and they are loving it too. :) Which surprised me, they are both book snobs ha ha. But we are taking them to Harry Potter Land next week so they were well motivated.

TRYING DESPERATELY to get my daughter through the famous spoiler in Book 6 before we get there but still several chapters away. :( Fingers crossed that nobody wrecks it while we are there. Or that I can rock those chapters out while we're hanging out in airports tomorrow.

That Matt Wagner Trinity book is AWESOME btw

Great to hear! And, about Harry Potter, as I was reading that I kept wishing I hadn't watched the movies already. Most of the big points of conflict are already solved in my head. But I was still surprised a few times, since it has been a long time since I've watched.

tim1138

In no particular order:

Marvel
Squirrel Girl
Moon Girl
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Devil Dinosaur

DC
Kenan Kong
Supergirl
Midnighter
Apollo
Casey Brinke (Doom Patrol)

TheFlow

Banned
Doctor Strange #9
That Bachalo art is strong. This is a set up for the final battle. All the last bit of magic items are gathered and strange fingers out what his butler has been up to. overall decent, but a rather quick issue.

Doctor Strange #10
This is supposed to be the big ending, but instead I didn't feel anything from this. This feel like a regular issue instead of an conclusion. The first 7 issues of this rival Jason Aaron's work on Thor, but then each issue after starts to feel lifeless. Not sound corny but when the magic started fading this fictional word so did the awesomeness of the title. Even though magic hasn't returned, and we got a vengeful
ghost thing on the loose.
I fee like they won a tad to easily and too fast. IDK I just did not enjoy the last 3 issues as much. they feel ordinary.

Doctor Strange #11
This one hell of a cover. simple but complex. I love it
STL013488-360x240.jpeg

Finally a return to form to the series. I love the colors, Strange figuring out how to deal with no magic, and that flashback scene. I actually noticed a lot of Marvel books and some DC books love to start an issue with a flashback. switch it up for once guys. I enjoyed The flashbacks in this issue; to beat a dead horse. I never read anything from Strange before this run so I live for this stuff. To get to know what he was like when starting out. Ah of course the flashbacks led to
Mordo
. Sorry about the back and forth on this one guys.

Doctor Strange Annual #1

eh pretty solid issue, but I didn't really care for the whole plot of fixing up the house. Clea was the bigger plot point but because I didn't know much about her I couldn't give a care. The art is awesome though, and the action scenes are bliss.

Now unto the second half of the annual ;)
1.Amazing art
2. awesome panels
3. witty dialog
4. The greatest wizard of all time
Merlin

This was basically a preview or w.e for Sorcerers Supreme and man did it work. soooo good.

Doctor Strange #12
Damn the Doctor can't catch a break. it is like every bad guy found out about his magic. I guess this is a good time to find out what Strange's rogue gallery is capable of. Solid start to a new arc, especially after the dull conclusion of the last arc.

Falchion

Just finished Darth Vader 25, sad to see it end since it was such a great run, but I'm really pumped about the Doctor Aphra series. She was my favorite character by far and I'm glad they didn't kill her off.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hah we have this for the couch, got it from Tesco.

What were peoples thoughts on the Preacher TV adaptation? I'm on episode 3 right now and it's very much in the wtf am I watching territory.

I liked it, but it wasn't very good

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait

Justice League/MMPR crossover!? BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT EVA

Thanks for the birthday wishes, echo xx

I liked it, but it wasn't very good

Well.
You nailed it.
Honest opinion: After the pilot I thought I was going to love it but tbh by the time it finished, I cared very little for anything in it. That's not a dislike or anything, I just didn't care at all. I doubt we will watch it again.

Best quote though:
Preacher shot my dick off.

God dammit Marvel. Trying to pick out recent stuff for my wife and daughter to read on the plane...having to disqualify about 90% of Marvel's books thanks to all the god damn tie-ins.

Sandfox

God dammit Marvel. Trying to pick out recent stuff for my wife and daughter to read on the plane...having to disqualify about 90% of Marvel's books thanks to all the god damn tie-ins.
Just get some Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. That's my answer to every comic problem involving kids.

Duress

I got a copy of Neal Adam's Batman Vol. 1. It's kind of corny in a bad way. I'm regretting the purchase. The art is nice, though.

TheFlow

Banned

9npKW7g.jpg
1ZnbaPh.jpg

eW3KsjR.jpg
oKoLHip.jpg

thought this was the new trinity book for a second and got confused.

Messi

DC
1. Harley Quinn
2. Poison Ivy
3. Catwoman
4. Zatanna
5. Power Girl

Marvel
1. Gwenpool
2. Jane
3. Singularity
4. Sam Wilson
5. Carol Danvers

anaron

Marvel:

1. Mockingbird
2. Black Widow
3. Jessica Jones
4. Ms.Marvel
5. Wasps

DC:

1. Wonder Woman
2. Midnighter
3. Supergirl
4. Vixen
5. Batwoman

kmfdmpig

DC
1. Batman
2. Green Arrow
3. Black Canary
4. Zatanna
5. Power Girl

Marvel
1. Ms. Marvel
2. Peter Parker
3. Daredevil
4. Punisher
5. Nick Fury

shingi70

Banned
If we're talking favorite characters of all time than it goes.

DC

1. Superman.
2. Firestorm (Ronnie/Stien
3. Green Arrow
4. Swamp Thing
5. Batwoman

Marvel

1. Spider-man
2. Cyclops
3. The Thing
4. She-Hulk
5. X-23