• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Owzers

I didn't care for Trinity War and Forever Evil was when I dropped almost every N52 book I was reading, but I enjoyed Darkseid War quite a lot. I appreciated how easy it was to jump into, and that it managed to tell a big, important story while remaining fairly self-contained.

Yeah yeah yeahhhhh
im waiting for a deluxe hardcover for darkseid, it's one of the few new 52 things I skipped that I'm still interested in.

TheFlow

Banned
Cage is a weird product because if it came out when it was originally supposed to people would be higher on it.
What got me was the article complaining about him being an angry muscular black dude. From what I saw that was all the dude was about back in the day then he mellowed out into what we have now.
Also the cage drawing of him is way more proportional. In the new book he hardly has no leg muscles.

But yea 2016 was probably not the best time to release a tribute to late 70s Marvel.

Sandfox

What got me was the article complaining about him being an angry muscular black dude. From what I saw that was all the dude was about back in the day then he mellowed out into what we have now.
Also the cage drawing of him is way more proportional. In the new book he hardly has no leg muscles.

But yea 2016 was probably not the best time to release a tribute to late 70s Marvel.
I think that's a legit complaint because Luke and recently Mariah have moved on from those depictions for good reason and going back to them is a questionable decision.

I still am not sure where to land on Cage, though it has managed to stick to my brain since I read it. I am going to wait a couple of weeks and read it again.

I certainly had no problems with the way Cage himself is drawn or depicted, however.

We're getting info on this a lot earlier than I expected lol

NOPE. Marvel already tricked me into buying Death of X #1.

Also.
Fuck you doom patrol. I'm out.

Man, you dislike some really cool things. Are you by chance a Skrull?

Had to stop my comic marathon due to the xenoverse 2 beta.

Yet to read a new release comic

Be sure to let us know how it is. If it's basically the same as the first game without some big improvements, I'll probably pass. Grinding in the first game was so lol-bad.

TheFlow

Banned
I think that's a legit complaint because Luke and recently Mariah have moved on from those depictions for good reason and going back to them is a questionable decision.
oh no doubt. I think the writer for so focused on trying to give us a faithful adaption of the old school comics that he didn't think of ways to modernize the designs

Edit: yea black Mariah is drawing is so damn exaggerated it isn't even funny.

Man PSVR is really great. Rez and thumper were amazing. Also the depth water demo was way more fun than I expected. The tech is still early of course but I can't wait to see where things go after a couple of iterations

As a long time gamer I see this in a similar way when games in 3D first started coming out and everyone was still learning and the engines were rough. It the creativity was crazy fun.

Downloading Batman tonight!

ElNarez

Banned
you know who's a cool guy? kris anka's a cool guy

tumblr_of1zneH2pC1qaotjto1_1280.png

So who do we think is the returning Inhuman/Mutant?

Probably Logan, right? Movie out in spring, ANW sales dropping could be saved by a relaunch into Wolverines etc.

Edit: FigureGAF might like these videos.

Sandfox

oh no doubt. I think the writer for so focused on trying to give us a faithful adaption of the old school comics that he didn't think of ways to modernize the designs

Edit: yea black Mariah is drawing is so damn exaggerated it isn't even funny.
That's actually how she used to look before Sanford and Greene redesigned her earlier this year.
So who do we think is the returning Inhuman/Mutant?

Probably Logan, right? Movie out in spring, ANW sales dropping could be saved by a relaunch into Wolverines etc

Logan could come back, but the thing about having both OLM and ANW is that it allows them to focus on two different parts of the character and neither of those books are preforming at a point where they need to be saved. Regular Wolverine however has more sales potential so I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced OML. Also, the new movie is about Old Man Logan and Laura lol.

I don't really think this is just going to be about one Mutant/Inhuman coming back though, but Xavier and Jean would be interesting.

Also.
Fuck you doom patrol. I'm out.
You ain't man enough for Doom Patrol anyway.
Man PSVR is really great. Rez and thumper were amazing. Also the depth water demo was way more fun than I expected. The tech is still early of course but I can't wait to see where things go after a couple of iterations

As a long time gamer I see this in a similar way when games in 3D first started coming out and everyone was still learning and the engines were rough. It the creativity was crazy fun.

Downloading Batman tonight!
In non-VR stuff are just staring at a flat screen in the distance?

I would love for a book that's just Abe and Hellboy traveling the world and fighting monsters and demons and stuff, that'd be so great. They are both very pensive characters, I love it so much. My Hellboy top 5 would be:

Hellboy
Abe
Liz
Howards
Iosif

Mmm, definitely Hellboy, Abe & Howards/Gall Dennar. After that it gets tough. Iosif is a great shout. I love Kate.
Johann & Andrew
can have a circle of hell reserved all for themselves. I love Daimio, he is really cool, and his whole backstory is really compelling.
Well, was, but i'll spoil tag that haha
. Liz is amazing. Lobster Johnson & Edward Grey are both great in their own ways. Varvara. And of course, let's not forget the hugely important Edmund, Duke of Gloucester ;)

It's actually pretty funny when you think how few stories there are that actually involve HB, Abe and/or Liz together on an adventure. Even as of Wake The Devil Mig starts to split them up. You hear about the good old times, but they don't really exist in the comics. I kind of hope that is the kind of thing we get once the main story draws to a close.

You ain't man enough for Doom Patrol anyway.

In non-VR stuff are just staring at a flat screen in the distance?
Yea it's just the tv but just in the headset. Given the wired up setup I don't know why I'd use that.

One odd thing is the notifications for trophies don't show up when you have the headset on. So you hear the chime but aren't sure what it was.

tim1138

Mmm, definitely Hellboy, Abe & Howards/Gall Dennar. After that it gets tough. Iosif is a great shout. I love Kate.
Johann & Andrew
can have a circle of hell reserved all for themselves. I love Daimio, he is really cool, and his whole backstory is really compelling.
Well, was, but i'll spoil tag that haha
. Liz is amazing. Lobster Johnson & Edward Grey are both great in their own ways. Varvara. And of course, let's not forget the hugely important Edmund, Duke of Gloucester ;)

It's actually pretty funny when you think how few stories there are that actually involve HB, Abe and/or Liz together on an adventure. Even as of Wake The Devil Mig starts to split them up. You hear about the good old times, but they don't really exist in the comics. I kind of hope that is the kind of thing we get once the main story draws to a close.

So when I started reading Hellboy, my only knowledge of the and characters came from the movies, so I was super surprised that it wasn't about Abe, Liz, and Hellboy having adventures and fighting stuff together. I do like how as BPRD progresses new recruits are jealous of the people who worked with HB.

Dude, Andrew can eat a dick. He's second only behind Johann for the worst. Fuck that guy, letting Abe get shot.

So when I started reading Hellboy, my only knowledge of the and characters came from the movies, so I was super surprised that it wasn't about Abe, Liz, and Hellboy having adventures and fighting stuff together. I do like how as BPRD progresses new recruits are jealous of the people who worked with HB.

Dude, Andrew can eat a dick. He's second only behind Johann for the worst. Fuck that guy, letting Abe get shot.

Haha totally, I was actually going to mention that. All things considered , the movies, especially the first one, are quite an odd take, in comparison to the books with their take on the original gang. John Myers though, the agent...ugh. haha. Thank god they never felt compelled to add him to the books. The funny thing is, if they took another shot at adapting the hellboy books into movies form, I think I'd like to see a hellboy that hews closer to the folklorey stuff later on in the books, once he's outlived all the nazi madness - and I still can't really think of a better director to take a crack at that than Del Toro. Just something much closer to Pan's Labyrinth, in visuals and tone. (Also, I'd think in the world of shared superhero universes, hellboy would fare better now - no reason why they couldn't do seed of destruction then have a BPRD movie on it's own alongside hellboy flicks).

Fuck that guy to death. I think I spite him more than Johann for pulling that.

Grabbed a couple of TMNT trades. Ended up going softcover, found a really really good deal where I could get five trades for the price of one of the HCs, and given one of the most off-putting factors for me giving these a shot over the years was price, it seemed worth jumping on. Could have went deeper but I didn't want to go into huge territory in case I don't like them. £30 isn't too big a gamble.

Ross61

watchmen1.jpg

Is this still the GOAT superhero comic, if not the GOAT comic that still hasn't been surpassed to this day?
Personally, I would never call it the GOAT. I think it a phenomenal comic that's influenced a generation of comics, but not the most enjoyable and inquisitive comic to me.

tim1138

Haha totally, I was actually going to mention that. All things considered , the movies, especially the first one, are quite an odd take, in comparison to the books with their take on the original gang. John Myers though, the agent...ugh. haha. Thank god they never felt compelled to add him to the books. The funny thing is, if they took another shot at adapting the hellboy books into movies form, I think I'd like to see a hellboy that hews closer to the folklorey stuff later on in the books, once he's outlived all the nazi madness - and I still can't really think of a better director to take a crack at that than Del Toro. Just something much closer to Pan's Labyrinth, in visuals and tone. (Also, I'd think in the world of shared superhero universes, hellboy would fare better now - no reason why they couldn't do seed of destruction then have a BPRD movie on it's own alongside hellboy flicks).

Fuck that guy to death. I think I spite him more than Johann for pulling that.

I don't mind the differences between the movies and comics (other than Abe being psychic which is just weird), now that I'm fully versed in the comics the movies act as sidestories. I would love to see BPRD and Abe get adapted to movies, as well as a more folklore take on Hellboy. There's just such a wealth of material to mine there. I actually tracked down the book of folklore that Mignola said inspired a lot the Hellboy stories, it's super out of print so I had to get it from the library. It was pretty cool to read all the original tales though.

I don't mind the differences between the movies and comics (other than Abe being psychic which is just weird), now that I'm fully versed in the comics the movies act as sidestories. I would love to see BPRD and Abe get adapted to movies, as well as a more folklore take on Hellboy. There's just such a wealth of material to mine there. I actually tracked down the book of folklore that Mignola said inspired a lot the Hellboy stories, it's super out of print so I had to get it from the library. It was pretty cool to read all the original tales though.

That's epic, what's it's name? I never thought to do that before. I do really enjoy his little forewords though, I love how much of it consists of "it was inspired by such and such tale...then I just made this thing and thing up and threw it in there on top" like the baba yaga counting fingers or the stuff with the demon head and it's organs soaking in vinegar. His imagination is nuts.

There is definitely money on the table with the franchise, although who knows what the rights situation is.

watchmen1.jpg

Is this still the GOAT superhero comic, if not the GOAT comic that still hasn't been surpassed to this day?
Omega Men
Vision
American Alien
Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Superior Spider-Man
Soule's She-Hulk

I'll throw in Gaiman's Death even though she isn't a superhero. But I'd argue Watchmen isn't purely a superhero comic.

You guys went too easy on Night of the Monster Men. What trash. By the end of part 6 it was offensively terrible and made no sense at all. I will try to write more about it later. Right now I'm just kinda in shock at how bad that issue of Detective was.

VanWinkle

You guys went too easy on Night of the Monster Men. What trash. By the end of part 6 it was offensively terrible and made no sense at all. I will try to write more about it later. Right now I'm just kinda in shock at how bad that issue of Detective was.

:eek: :-(

I may have to skip the trade for that. Glad it is being collected separately from the mainline title trades.

tim1138

That's epic, what's it's name? I never thought to do that before. I do really enjoy his little forewords though, I love how much of it consists of "it was inspired by such and such tale...then I just made this thing and thing up and threw it in there on top" like the baba yaga counting fingers or the stuff with the demon head and it's organs soaking in vinegar. His imagination is nuts.

There is definitely money on the table with the franchise, although who knows what the rights situation is.

The book is called "Passport to the supernatural; an occult compendium from all ages and many lands". At least in the States it's long out of print, so you may have to do some work to track down a copy.

TheFlow

Banned
Omega Men
Vision
American Alien
Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Superior Spider-Man
Soule's She-Hulk

I'll throw in Gaiman's Death even though she isn't a superhero. But I'd argue Watchmen isn't purely a superhero comic.
How you going to put omega men and vision and then say watchmen isn't a superhero comic. Doesn't add up

Top Bottom