• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Vision
Remender's Uncanny X-Force

I mean, those two maybe. Vision is certainly a comic we'll be discussing in a decade, but the scope doesn't really compare with what Moore did with The Watchmen.

I'm a massive Uncanny X-Force fan, very biased here. I think it's in the running. It will never have the industry impact, but it's a scary good superhero story.

I'd argue Invincible works as a stark contrast to the bleakness of Moore's work.

The further you break from the superhero restriction, the note contenders you'll see. Fort example, Y: The Last Man is so much more realized and enjoyable to read than The Watchmen that it's not really fair.

VanWinkle

watchmen1.jpg

Is this still the GOAT superhero comic, if not the GOAT comic that still hasn't been surpassed to this day?

Planetary
DC: The New Frontier

Boogiepop

So this has been discussed to death and long since known, but man does the current mutant status quo baffle/annoy me. Like, we had a nice long stretch between House of M and AvX to do stories of "oh no, mutants are on the brink of extinction and there won't be any more". And then we get a bit of time for them to actually start recovering, and we're somehow already back to "no more new mutants" with a side dish of "oh, and most of them are dying from the mist too." Just seems dumb to jam them back to such a similar situation so soon, but I guess Marvel has decided that "nearly wiped out and dying off as a species" is the necessary status quo for all X books, for some reason.

TheFlow

Banned
So this has been discussed to death and long since known, but man does the current mutant status quo baffle/annoy me. Like, we had a nice long stretch between House of M and AvX to do stories of "oh no, mutants are on the brink of extinction and there won't be any more". And then we get a bit of time for them to actually start recovering, and we're somehow already back to "no more new mutants" with a side dish of "oh, and most of them are dying from the mist too." Just seems dumb to jam them back to such a similar situation so soon, but I guess Marvel has decided that "nearly wiped out and dying off as a species" is the necessary status quo for all X books, for some reason.
I just want to read books about mutants going on adventures again and having fun. I shouldn't have to read an avengers book to find out what's going on with new mutants

frye

I like when heroes get serious but man, I get tired of people following Watchmen like the damn bible.

people say this a lot but Watchmen's influence on contemporary superhero comics is pretty difficult to spot these days and I think Moore as a writer's influence is also pretty hard to trace aside from Tom King's stuff as well

also is it me or is this website slow as molasses today

TheFlow

Banned
people say this a lot but Watchmen's influence on contemporary superhero comics is pretty difficult to spot these days and I think Moore as a writer's influence is also pretty hard to trace aside from Tom King's stuff as well

Something wrong with GAF. Someone made a thread about it and it is close to 300 post. Mobile works fine but I can't get it to run on my pc

Sandfox

It makes sense from the perspective that the X-Men should have some kind of issue that will make humans fear them and threaten their existence with the goal being to find a way to change things. The issue is that the current status quo went too far, doesn't reflect the issues minorities go through anymore, and has been done to death among other things.

The site has been real slow for me on both PC and mobile. It's been like this for like 3 days now.

I hated that movie. I should totally buy the comics. I even considered the Crow, because I'm a great judge of quality
I wasn't keen on the movie either, but I really enjoyed the comic. Picked it up on a whim and it was one of my most anticipated for its entire run.
My only real problem with the X-books right now is the TM because I think the current books would be better if the writers didn't have to focus on it.
All-New X-Men didn't really focus on it and it was still mediocre. Uncanny dropped its focus after the first arc and it was still terrible. Again, Extraordinary hasn't focused on it since the first arc and, yet again, it's an above average book STILL.

The Terrigen Mist has nothing to do with the quality of those books, but I can agree it certainly isn't helping

Some really quick reviews of stuff I read today...

Clone Conspiracy #1: Definitely better than Death of X!

Daredevil #12: Easily the best issue of this series yet. Muse is a cool villain, visually, though
sadly not blessed with a terribly interesting power set.
Soule seems to have a vastly superior grasp on the impact of New Attilan on the US compared to most writers churning out guest inhuman appearances, and he is completely at home with the material that results. This is one of the first times I've read a story about the inhumans of New Attilan that actually makes sense to me from a real-world perspective. Souls gives an impression of concerns normal people might feel about this development that sets them apart from mutants.

Also, I'm not sure when this happened, it's in line with all of his other characterization recently, but when exactly did
Karnak morph from the most boring inhuman into the patron saint of shitheads?

Darth Vader #25: Man I'm gonna miss this book. Sure, I'm hyped for what's next but this book was wonderful. I didn't think I'd care at all about the Star Wars line, and for the most part, that has proved true; I haven't liked any of the minis I've tried, and while I buy and enjoy the main book it can be hit-or-miss. Darth Vader was a cut above, though. The characterization of Vader was fearsome and awe-inspiring, the conflicts he ended up in were wonderfully varied and creative, and it turned out to be a tale worth telling after all, something I never expected (as so much of the material surrounding the movies ends up feeling tertiary or even completely disconnected). Here is the story of how Vader got his groove back after his embarrassing defeat at Yavin IV. If you're even a little bit of a fan, read this book.

(Wasn't too keen on one part of the very end - felt a little like
Return of the King with all the endings and epilogues.

Deathstroke #4: Getting better and better! Slade heads to Gotham and the resulting battle of minds is fun to read. It's still a hard book to recommend: the supporting cast is still pretty rough, the art doesn't quite fit the subject matter, and Priest remains firmly committed to laying down track for a Deathstroke epic he is probably never going to get a chance to finish. But the character feels a lot more fleshed out with every issue, and Deathstroke/Batman is a fucking awesome matchup. Probably why they're doing a movie about it! ;)

Night of the Monster Men 5-6: I still haven't figured out a way to express my thoughts about this coherently other than to say the last issue is very very bad and aside from a few decent moments early on this crossover was shit. It just turns into a laundry list of complaints. Things happen too quickly and events are compressed to a ridiculous degree so as to honor the premise behind the title. The monster designs were almost all Some of the monster designs were so bad. Magical detective work is becoming a big, big problem in Rebirth's batbooks and this story is easily the worst offender. Strange's plan is laughably dumb (and oh god, oh god,
the monologuing
in part 6. The way the story resolves is embarrassingly dumb, does not hold up to scrutiny AT ALL. Characters were underutilized. It REALLY screwed up what was happening in Detective before it started. Crossovers exclusively featuring characters in one family of books need a better premise than "b-tier villain attacks city."

See? It just becomes a list. I feel like it could go on forever.

Really gotta disagree with the Monster designs being bad, those were my favorite part of the event.

That's cool, of course. The ones that stick out like sore thumbs for me were
the transformed heroes, especially Nightwing, which incorporated his costume in a way I thought was super silly, and the final combined monster thing that felt totally uninspired. Like there is a way to do a monster like that and make it freaky looking. The Thing is one of my favorite horror films. You don't just stick some boils and spikes on an oversized humanoid and call it a day, not for your Big Boss monster.
The early designs were definitely better, I admit.

Dusknoir

That "fight" between Deathstroke and Batman was awesome. It became one of my highlights for Rebirth.

Wonder Woman this week also good. A issue of Cheetah trying to gather info on the Amazon race.

Ross61

I don't think DC would cancel Deathstroke so soon. He's been getting a major push from DC recently. He's had two ongoing even though they never sold well, getting another chance when they're were books far more deserving. They clearly been trying to get him to work, and now they have the perfect writer to do that. Coupled with the fact that Warner barred him from Arrow universe(which gave him some more attention), and having him in JL and The Batman. Plus he's even rumored to be in more DC movies.(Black Manta as well)

Also I got a question: Near the end of Darkseid War when Grail used the baby the steal everyone's God power, what happened when she used it on Shazam?

DC All Access' Top Ten JSA Moments.

I'm actually surprised there isn't a JSA sale on CMX.
Wildcat solo-ing the Injustice Gang was amazing. Best issue ever.
So who do we think is the returning Inhuman/Mutant?

Probably Logan, right? Movie out in spring, ANW sales dropping could be saved by a relaunch into Wolverines etc.

Edit: FigureGAF might like these videos.
The Nightwing one is so godlike I NEED IT NOW.
Logan could come back, but the thing about having both OLM and ANW is that it allows them to focus on two different parts of the character and neither of those books are preforming at a point where they need to be saved. Regular Wolverine however has more sales potential so I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced OML. Also, the new movie is about Old Man Logan and Laura lol.

I don't really think this is just going to be about one Mutant/Inhuman coming back though, but Xavier and Jean would be interesting.
God I do not want Xavier and Jean back. Or Logan. I like Old Logan and Laura. If Logan comes back, I will not have anything other than Professor Logan.
Mondo selling this Batman statue by Francavilla.
Damn that's fine as hell
Don't know. I've only seen the movie.

Same, and I really like it and think it's a genuinely good movie.

watchmen1.jpg

Is this still the GOAT superhero comic, if not the GOAT comic that still hasn't been surpassed to this day?
It's hard to directly compare when it comes to just superhero books. Watchmen was a complete deconstruction of the genre, in addition to touching on several philosophical themes. In addition to being a good superhero story, it does all of those other things really well.

So when it comes to superhero comics, as Tragicomedy said, it's hard to find one (especially when it comes to the Big 2) that hits the scope that Watchmen does. I mean, there's tons of fantastic character pieces. Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men might not be grandiose in touching upon anything philosophical, political, or anything meta, but goddamned if it isn't an amazing character-driven superhero story with some of the singular definitive versions of those characters (as far as I'm concerned). It's my favorite superhero book of all time. Remender's Uncanny X-Force does a solid job of creating compelling character arcs, but also dealing entirely with the nature of killing itself. Is it ever truly justified? Do we do it because we have to or because it's easier? What effect can that have on us? Can we really become numb to it? Can we really enjoy it? Why do we demand it? It's deep on that level, and so I can consider it to be up there. Morrison's New X-Men is...honestly I have no idea, but it felt ambitious. My pick though, the one I'm putting up in the ring, is a book that's stuck with me every day since I've read it:

Kingdom Come

And now I'm too tired to explain why. Give me some time. I'll come around. But for now, this is about the closest thing to a review that I dropped on here:
Fantastic. I absolutely loved it. Two major things: Alex Ross does a fantastic job of portraying even the most street level hero as a god, and I love that the story not only deals with the political implications of a rising metahuman population. Not only that, but the main thing I love is that it deals with what happens when heroes are so focused on fighting villains that they forget why they bothered to be heroes. It's just gang wars. This whole thing is embodied with Billy, who is a complete tool. He forgets how to actually be human and think for himself, becoming nothing except for a superpowered weapon to be used. Pretty much telling everyone who thinks the Punisher is a superhero to go fuck themselves.

Fantastic story. Can't get over it. One of my favorite books.

what is the consensus on Coates Black Panther run so far

heard really mixed things
Really good, but hefty. A very politics centric book.
Karnak I feel is boring because his book never characterized him
His book is playing him a certain way that I'm not fond of, but it works. I enjoy the action a lot, though. I would say he has been characterized as a largely nihilistic person, who believes in nothing but himself. It's actually a pretty big regression, in my eyes. Go back to the Lee/Kirby era, and he's very much a pompous dick. Massively full of himself and his talents, even having so much hubris as to challenge Black Bolt and Medusa. However, look at him now, and while he's back to being full of himself, he's no longer someone who puts his intellect above others so he can project himself as the best. He just doesn't give a fuck anymore. I mean, he broke death.

It's why the villain of his book is so interesting. Spoilers for Karnak:
he -- a man who believes in nothing save for his own power, and only sees things for what they are -- is going up agains a group that has powers because they believe in something bigger than them and a world that's "better" than what it is now. It's a very intriguing clash. The book is litsrally philosophical kung fu. The problem is that the philosophy feels incredibly shallow, so it doesn't seem to hold much weight. Karnak is effectively used just as a vessel for action and nothing more.

Ross61

I hope that January solicit for Titans means that Lee Weeks is taking over art duty from Booth. I personally don't hate Booth's style, but I'm not a fan of it. I will be getting the first trade too.

Messi

Read 6 issues of Amazing Spider-Man to catch up to the Clone Conspiracy and I love that book. Just stupid fun with great artists. Love seeing Otto get repeatedly crushed. Anna Maria absolutely crushes him in one issue. Ock really is just a deluded psychopath.

PsychBat!

Banned
Read 6 issues of Amazing Spider-Man to catch up to the Clone Conspiracy and I love that book. Just stupid fun with great artists. Love seeing Otto get repeatedly crushed. Anna Maria absolutely crushes him in one issue. Ock really is just a deluded psychopath.

messi noooo :(

Sandfox

God I do not want Xavier and Jean back. Or Logan. I like Old Logan and Laura. If Logan comes back, I will not have anything other than Professor Logan.
Xavier being dead makes sense, but I don't really get why Jean has been gone for so long, especially when we keep getting substitutes for her. I personally don't really miss any of these characters in the current X-books, and think them coming back would probably be more to send a message to the fans than anything else.

One interesting thing I saw the other day is someone blaming a part of Wolverine losing his "edge" on the role Logan took after Schism, though I think that's a flawed argument.

Slott has been stepping his game up the past few months now that he can tell this story.

Xavier being dead makes sense, but I don't really get why Jean has been gone for so long, especially when we keep getting substitutes for her. I personally don't really miss any of these characters in the current X-books, and think them coming back would probably be more to send a message to the fans than anything else.

One interesting thing I saw the other day is someone blaming a part of Wolverine losing his "edge" on the role Logan took after Schism, though I think that's a flawed argument.
I don't want Jean back mostly because I'm sick of the same, tired, old stories with her: Phoenix and Scott. That's it. She's so damn boring. Young Jean was interesting because of how petty and dumb and intrusive she was, but then she became the worst. And now she's boring again. I can't stand Jean. We have three Phoenix successors in Rachel Grey, Hope Summers, and Quentin Quire and they are all far more interesting characters than her. Even though I hate Quentin.

Top Bottom