• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

PsychBat!

Banned
tumblr_maavvzbhqu1rc53qro1_500.gif

cut my life into pieces

Damn, these Harrow County trades are incredible. Dark Horse really has it down with it's trades. The inside looks gorgeous too. I was initially a little reserved on Tyler Crook when DH used him as Guy Davis' replacement on BPRD (it feel a little like a downgrade but to be fair, what wouldn't). This stuff looks fantastic though, it really evokes a fairytale feel with a hint of creepiness in the twisted tree branches:

The book is called "Passport to the supernatural; an occult compendium from all ages and many lands". At least in the States it's long out of print, so you may have to do some work to track down a copy.

Hahah damn, challenge accepted!

Midnighter and Apollo #1
So this is basically Midnighter #13 and I'm more than okay with that. Great start so far.

Superman #8
A good start to a very enjoyable story. It's an old trope, but I like it. It'll be a fun adventure arc, and if you can't have a fun adventure in a Superman comic, where can you have it?

Sandfox

Bishop
Shatterstar
X-Man
Adam-X
Jubilee

This team should happen.

Jean Grey is the Gwen Stacy of X-Men. No reason to bring her back because her death became a to important point plot point
I haven't read New X-Men, but was it really?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if both of those characters came back in 2017 as a way to return "familiarity" to their respective brands

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Familiarity? After over 40 years without Gwen?
I expect her to be maybe be back due to Clone Conspiracy for a year or maybe, but then she will vanish to dust.

Sandfox

Familiarity? After over 40 years without Gwen?
I expect her to be maybe be back due to Clone Conspiracy for a year or maybe, but then she will vanish to dust.

The funny thing about Gwen is that she was killed off because she's boring and now people seem to actually like her for various reasons.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The funny thing about Gwen is that she was killed off because she's boring and now people seem to actually like her for various reasons.
But is this Gwen Stacys or one of her subsistsries like ASM Gwen (where this wouldnt make sense due the next batch of upcoming movies) or Spider-Gwen?

I dunno, I think this would be similar to bring Uncle Ben back

Hagi

The impact of bringing Jean and Gwen back would be negligible. They've been back in different forms several times throughout the years so might as well make it stick for a while. I do think you'd get more out of bringing Gwen back then Jean though.

Sandfox

But is this Gwen Stacys or one of her subsistsries like ASM Gwen (where this wouldnt make sense due the next batch of upcoming movies) or Spider-Gwen?

I dunno, I think this would be similar to bring Uncle Ben back
People used to say "nobody stays dead in comics except Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben" and we all know what happened there lol.

If Gwen did come back it would probably just be regular Gwen so they can give Peter a notable love interest. I also think what your saying would be a legit complaint.

Oh wow, just spotted this on twitter, always really wanted to read this book, but the final issue never came out/book didn't get collected as a result.

In Latour's words:

LOOSE ENDS starts at @ImageComics this JAN. In the family tree SCALPED is the momma, SOUTHERN BASTARDS is poppa, & LE is the prodigal son.

Damn, these Harrow County trades are incredible. Dark Horse really has it down with it's trades. The inside looks gorgeous too. I was initially a little reserved on Tyler Crook when DH used him as Guy Davis' replacement on BPRD (it feel a little like a downgrade but to be fair, what wouldn't). This stuff looks fantastic though, it really evokes a fairytale feel with a hint of creepiness in the twisted tree branches:
I've been hearing people praise Harrow County for a long time so I grabbed the first trade on Comixology last night. Read through it in one sitting, and fell in love with it. Unsettling, gorgeous, and evocative. My only disappointment is that there isn't a hardcover collection yet.

I've been hearing people praise Harrow County for a long time so I grabbed the first trade on Comixology last night. Read through it in one sitting, and fell in love with it. Unsettling, gorgeous, and evocative. My only disappointment is that there isn't a hardcover collection yet.

Oh awesome man, I'll get back to you once I dive in myself. I bought vol 1, 2 & 3 together from the same place, dispatched at the same time. Volume 3 arrived yesterday, volume 2 arrived this morn...lol. So backwards. Really looking forward to diving in. I know Bunn gets a lot of shit (not a fan of his big two work myself) but some of his own stuff is great. Have you checked out The Sixth Gun?

You might awhile on a HC btw, Dark Horse are quite up and down on this stuff, a lot of the time there isn't one. With stuff like Conan, sometimes it's HC first, with Mind MGMT it was HC only haha. You never know.

Ross61

Finally finished The Office. I've never been more satisfied with a series finale as this. This has become my top 5 all time favorite show, even with those less than spectacular last season. Those last two episodes were well worth it. I can't even put into words my enjoyment.

this is your best post of the week. Can't wait!

Lol cheers man, I put alot of effort into that one ;) definitely should be good.Brunner has been working on the final issue for quite awhile if you follow his blog thing, I guess they were waiting for publishing rights to revert

MartyStu

Red Hood and The Outlaws 3

Yup. I am definitely enjoying this series. But I want to say almost in spite of Lobdel.

The general plotting and the ongoing narrative is actually quite strong. The issue is the dialog. It barely flows at all. The very strong art is currently covering for it, but that will not last forever.

Changing my vote. Shanta Parasuraman is the best Ms. Marvel voice.
Graphic Audio is the best thing.

"A Movie in Your Mind!"

Love GAs stuff. Their Ms Marvel series is very fun, and their version of Civil War is my favourite.

I'd recommend their No Man's Land adaptation to almost everyone.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, Donnie, I've been thinking about this tradewaiting thing. I would still have to buy as single issues: Black Hammer, Black Panther, The Black Monday Murders, Doctor Strange, Saga, Doom Patrol, Shade, Mother Panic, Cave Carson, Seven to Eternity, Reborn, and Archangel (though that's a limited run). And some of those I may stop buying if they don't go anywhere after a few issues. I will stop buying single issues once current arcs are over of the rest of the stuff I buy, though if Hickman or Remender come out with something new, I'll be all over those.

That's the plan; let's see if I stick to it... I will shave off $80 from my monthly comics budget if that happens, too. Which will make my wife extremely happy.

re: Watchmen

I think if you're just sticking to Big Two, Enigma is a more interesting sort of deconstruction of superhero comics. It feels less cold and mechanical and I like it much more.

I really liked Watchmen when I first read it myself but I've expanded my reading a lot since then and I'm not as fond of it anymore. I still think it's a good-ass comic but it's hardly the greatest ever. I could easily list a dozen books/runs I prefer and if you just want to stick to impact I think Dark Knight Returns had a bigger impact for American superhero comics.

Alright, Donnie, I've been thinking about this tradewaiting thing. I would still have to buy as single issues: Black Hammer, Black Panther, The Black Monday Murders, Doctor Strange, Saga, Doom Patrol, Shade, Mother Panic, Cave Carson, Seven to Eternity, Reborn, and Archangel (though that's a limited run). And some of those I may stop buying if they don't go anywhere after a few issues. I will stop buying single issues once current arcs are over of the rest of the stuff I buy, though if Hickman or Remender come out with something new, I'll be all over those.

That's the plan; let's see if I stick to it... I will shave off $80 from my monthly comics budget if that happens, too. Which will make my wife extremely happy.

Haha! You make it sound like a life decision. "I've been thinking alot". Hey, good for you man. Way I see it, if you can sidestep buying singles comfortably then you save money or have more money for more comics AND you end with a really nice bookshelf with no expense on bags and boards. You don't like it, well no big, there's nothing stopping you going back to floppy or even digital if you really want to read something monthly. Plus I know supporting your store is important to you and you can still do that via trade.

Also, nice thing with DC double shipping means faster trades from them as a trickle down starting in Jan. They'll be dropping at a really nice pace, no six month wait.

And yes, keeping the missus happy is a priority I can relate too.

Also, nice thing with DC double shipping means faster trades from them as a trickle down starting in Jan. They'll be dropping at a really nice pace, no six month wait.

This brings me to my next question: are there significant savings for trade waiting on digital purchases? I know you physical buyers living in a bygone era can save massively with IST. But do the numbers add up on Comixology?

I get going big during CMX sales, but approximately how much would I save buying Rebirth trades versus singles? I'm thinking $1-2 dollars max. Am I wrong?
I'm always wrong, I mean this specific assumption,

Quick question comicGAF. What's the best iOS reader to import comics into? Bought the TF Humble Bundle and not really sure what's the best way to read them on my iPad.

Owzers

Can i watch Luke Cage before Jessica Jones without getting Jones spoiled too much?

finally watching No Mercy:

Image: AJ Styles
Marvel: John Cena
DC: Dean Ambrose

Valiant: Dolph Ziggler.

This brings me to my next question: are there significant savings for trade waiting on digital purchases? I know you physical buyers living in a bygone era can save massively with IST. But do the numbers add up on Comixology?

I get going big during CMX sales, but approximately how much would I save buying Rebirth trades versus singles? I'm thinking $1-2 dollars max. Am I wrong?
I'm always wrong, I mean this specific assumption,

I actually have do idea man, that is really not my wheelhouse. Also, I guess you would want to judge that against whatever the cmx price for those issues are in Jan when the trades hit? And not what they are now? Or maybe so if you're weighing up price to read on week of release versus nice physical book. It's definitely a massive saving over cover prices from most publishers physically, but digitally, I would find it hard to say.

As a rough guess though, without shopping around, it's $15.70 right now to pre-order King's first batman book on amazon, and that's 6 issues & the rebirth issue. If I'm right (?) guessing issue price come Jan on CMX will be $2 at 7 issues, then it would be a tad cheaper at $14. I don't know if that Amazon price is indicative of what you can get it for if you look. At that point, it would depend on what you value, raw price, physical vs digital, waiting vs not waiting etc.

I really don't want to tell you youre right

EDIT: Also, rereading your post, I'm not sure I even interpreted the question correctly haha I answered something!

Comics, Hot Toys, Original Art life is on hiatus.

Pull and Pray Champion dethroned October 2016. Nine year reign.

Time to teach the ways of the Force.

You are correct sir. Congrats seem to be the customary emotion evolved for everyone except my wife and I. It was unexpected. Jeff Goldblums "Life finds a way" speech has never rang more true.

Hahah right okay, I didn't want to go batshit and it turns out you were implying you lost your job or something. That's brilliant man, really pleased for you guys! It'll be tough choosing between Wade & Kylo as the name right? ;)

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Haha! You make it sound like a life decision. "I've been thinking alot". Hey, good for you man. Way I see it, if you can sidestep buying singles comfortably then you save money or have more money for more comics AND you end with a really nice bookshelf with no expense on bags and boards. You don't like it, well no big, there's nothing stopping you going back to floppy or even digital if you really want to read something monthly. Plus I know supporting your store is important to you and you can still do that via trade.

And yes, keeping the missus happy is a priority I can relate too.

It is a life decision, as it will significantly alter how I engage with and consume comics. :) And I don't buy trades at my LCS. IST has completely ruined that path for me. lol

Comics, Hot Toys, Original Art life is on hiatus.

Pull and Pray Champion dethroned October 2016. Nine year reign.

Time to teach the ways of the Force.
Congrats to you and Mrs. Korupt! I think you guys will do great.

New 52 Volume 6 was solid. It had art by Lupacchino which was gorgeous as always and a decent story. Probably the only one worth getting from the New 52 stuff. Otherwise, weak sale for one focused on Supergirl.

Top Bottom