• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Sandfox

ComicGAF, if I were to try and get into TMNT comics, how should I do so? There's like 8 million different series and I don't know where to start.

tmnt_readersguide.jpg

Messi

Speaking of Dr Aphra...Rafael Albuquerque was working on this cover for her book and disaster struck...man that's gotta suck.

53uCfrx.png

ComicGAF, if I were to try and get into TMNT comics, how should I do so? There's like 8 million different series and I don't know where to start.

The easiest place to begin is the IDW stuff. Don't be put off by all of the micro-series either. most of them are not essential. I've read the first eight trades and I haven't read any of the side stuff and it hasn't effected my overall enjoyment of it.You'll see some panels that'll be like "read micro-series #4 for the details!" but that's it.

The current series is really good. Probably my favorite rendition of the Turtles. If you're not down with IDW's pricing, most of the series was on Scribd's subscription service. Much cheaper.

I follow the image linked above and it's easy. I'd argue it's straightforward. You just work sequentially and mix in the one shots between volumes. None of the one shots has really mattered to the story. I'm only on volume 6, mind you.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The easiest place to begin is the IDW stuff. Don't be put off by all of the micro-series either. most of them are not essential. I've read the first eight trades and I haven't read any of the side stuff and it hasn't effected my overall enjoyment of it.You'll see some panels that'll be like "read micro-series #4 for the details!" but that's it.

I consider anything the main book keeps referencing essential and by issue 10 the editors notes were getting pretty frequent.

It's a lot of stuff, but it doesn't look all that convoluted to me.

I think it's simpler to just put a list of the volumes in reading order and note which of the side volumes can be skipped if prefered. This reminds me of those minds maps you do as a kid in school. To each their own though, if it works for you man.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

Rearranged my modest collection. Still waiting on the 5 volumes of Y: The Last Man and Tokyo Ghost 1/2. Oh, and New Avengers Trust isn't there as I am reading it now, as well as The Filth, Spiderman Torment and Maus I as they are at work.

I consider anything the main book keeps referencing essential and by issue 10 the editors notes were getting pretty frequent.

They aren't. It's the random Stan Lee: "See Fantastic Four #27 for details!" shenanigans. I'm reading them all because I'm a completionist, but they're whatever.

Alan-Moore-008.jpg

So I think we can consider him the GOAT comic book writer, the way he changed the industry, I don't really think anyone is near him, and in the future it would be hard to reach his level (of course its also alot harder to revolutionize the industry again) but I think he will always be the king

Rearranged my modest collection. Still waiting on the 5 volumes of Y: The Last Man and Tokyo Ghost 1/2. Oh, and New Avengers Trust isn't there as I am reading it now, as well as The Filth, Spiderman Torment and Maus I as they are at work.

Haha damn dude, did not take you long, it's looking great! What's the logic here, tallest book to smallest in general? I drive myself nuts trying to decide to order my books. Right now I've got publisher per shelf, but I dislike this meaning writers have their work split across shelfs. Then of course HC and height to paperback/smallest left to right.

And I did not know that second Dr Strange book was out.

Alan-Moore-008.jpg

So I think we can consider him the GOAT comic book writer, the way he changed the industry, I don't really think anyone is near him, and in the future it would be hard to reach his level (of course its also alot harder to revolutionize the industry again) but I think he will always be the king

I think you need to expand your tastes. Moore is great but we got some new blood doing different things nowadays.

I like a lot of Moore stuff. Watchmen probably wouldn't hit my top five though.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?/For the Man Who Has Everything (Man of Tomorrow has my favourite intro of all time with "This is an imaginary story (Which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good.....")
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (well, maybe not Century, unless
Harry Potter as the antichrist, shooting lightning from his wang, is your thing.
)
Top 10
Miracleman
The Ballad of Halo Jones

I mentioned Watchmen yesterday, cause I was reading through it again and I am just amazed how crafted it is.

There might be comics out there that are on the same level quality wise (if not better) someone mentioned Omega Men by Tom King as one, haven't read it yet

but I don't think we'll ever see a Cultural Phenomenon in the medium of comics that Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns were... just imagine how high school/college kids in the 80s were reacting to these two books

Boogiepop

As always, I disagree heavily with people who recommend skipping the TMNT "side-stories", both because they're really good and also significant to the story. Like, a good number of significant characters popped up from those. And at this point, it's essentially like the book is just double-shipping, with one of those sets always being centered around a side theme (IE Mighty Mutanimals, Casey and April, etc). That said, you can totally skip the crossovers with no impact, and the same can be said of Turtles in Time at least as far as I've gotten (though again, that's really fun and I wouldn't recommend skipping it). I'd also need to check Ultrom Empire to see what specifically came into play in that one also as it's been a while. And of course with the newer stuff it's hard to see yet what impact it may have down the line. Oh, and the annuals are 100% skippable pretty much and are weird in that they're pretty much old style Turtles stories that technically take place in modern continuity. But again I say, if you like the main series, you'll probably like the "side stuff" too, so why deny yourself good comics that often do indeed matter just as much as the events of many numbered issues? (Though I totally do get the worries about confusion, as jumping in now and purely grabbing trades, it could be hard to tell what goes where. Hell, I honestly kind of wish they'd given them some sort of like "7.5, 8.5" moniker to make their place more clear, though that'd likely only drive in the "oh, I can totally skip these because they don't matter" misconception).

That all said, if you're hopping in now and don't really need to jump all the way to being fully caught up, the Hardcovers are easily the best option and are very straightforward in blending in the "side stories", so that's cool.

ElNarez

Banned
Is that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I hated the first two volumes so much.

it's league vol. 2 yeah

(league vol. 3 is alan moore's "old man yelling at cloud", but the nemo stories after that are okay)

and then there's lost girls, which is "what if alice in wonderland, but fucking", and god that is all kinds of fucking bad

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That all said, if you're hopping in now and don't really need to jump all the way to being fully caught up, the Hardcovers are easily the best option and are very straightforward in blending in the "side stories", so that's cool.

If I ever manage to start a physical collection I'm just going to do this.

But again I say, if you like the main series, you'll probably like the "side stuff" too, so why deny yourself good comics that often do indeed matter just as much as the events of many numbered issues?.

Haha well I would only have grabbed the first two to gauge if I actually the series but the seller I found last night that was selling the books for a really great price only had vols 1-5 and none of the side series so i figured I'd grab em and find out if I like the series and if so, my next pick up can be the two microseries and secret history of the foot clan. I won't miss the two micro series too much that slot into those volumes for the time being?

it's league vol. 2 yeah

(league vol. 3 is alan moore's "old man yelling at cloud", but the nemo stories after that are okay)

and then there's lost girls, which is "what if alice in wonderland, but fucking", and god that is all kinds of fucking bad

I love Moore, and think DC are a collective bag of dicks for screwing him over on Watchmen.

Having said that, his League stuff is basically appropriating existing public domain properties and turning the characters into hideous, disgusting monsters. I never imagined Allan Quartermain could be such an asshole.

Boogiepop

Haha well I would only have grabbed the first two to gauge if I actually the series but the seller I found last night that was selling the books for a really great price only had vols 1-5 and none of the side series so i figured I'd grab em and find out if I like the series and if so, my next pick up can be the two microseries and secret history of the foot clan. I won't miss the two micro series too much that slot into those volumes for the time being?

It's been a while, so I don't precisely remember what comes up when (which is actually probably a good impetus for a reread when I get the chance), but it probably shouldn't be too bad in terms of throwing things off. Like, I don't think at that point there should be much worse than a character or two popping up without proper introduction by the point you'll stop at, which should definitely be easy enough to handle, even if it's not ideal. (But yeah, I definitely know that these things start to grow more and more in importance as the series continues on with more ideas starting to cross pollinate and plot threads being picked up and stuff, with Secret History of the Foot Clan falling in right before volume 6 IIRC and having some REALLY important stuff).

with Secret History of the Foot Clan falling in right before volume 6 IIRC and having some REALLY important stuff

Awesome. This was the one that I had gotten the impression not to move onto vol. 6 without reading. They should have just collected these as main trades the way Hellboy numbered the other tales volumes like the crooked man and so on, side stuff, but part of the series regardless.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
all my pc parts will be here by Friday - going to spend next weekend putting it together

first thing i'm doing when it boots? buy Overwatch for PC -> $100 in loot boxes

pop pop pop boxes

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, I caught up on reading what I had of Sam Wilson Cap today (up until issue 6 of the current run), and it was definitely interesting. First off, I have to laugh at them blatantly falsely advertising by showing him as he normally is on the covers of all but the first of the Cap-Wolf issues.

What I want to talk about more, though, is the whole Infinite Comics: Fear Him thing. Picked it up in that same sale because it was cheap, but it... wasn't great. Seems like the idea was try to make it more "dynamic" by using the benefits of being digital, and that's interesting enough. Like, it's gimmicky, but I could see someone getting something out of the format, I guess. Still, a weird little thing. Though my big take-away is how weird it is to have the new Cap in what I believe is one of his first adventures, I guess, and... apparently he's totally cool with leaving kids to live on their own in the sewers. Like, they try to explain "oh, sure, adults say they care but they don't really get us the help we need", but I still say it's hella irresponsible to leave it at "apparently these kids can take care of themselves, so we won't do anything more with this plot point."

Anyway, I'm too far behind to realistically catch up until a nice sale on Comixology, but what I saw of the new series has at least got me curious. Like, I'm not 100% sure if it's for me or not, but I'm definitely up for giving it at least a few more issues.

my face didn't write a comic about Mr. Hyde raping the Invisible Man to death

Your face also didnt write that gorgeous framing sequence of Saga of the Swamp Thing #54 that perfectly captures that mix of anger and unending sadness you feel when a loved one dies, and all the condescending strangers who drift into your life for empty platitudes before disappearing from your life forever.

You get like a 100 rape comics off the basis of Swamp Thing alone.

edit: lmao just remembered that time Grant Morrision was like "I never used rape! Thats all Alan Moore does, rape! You can look through my history, no rape cuz Im godlike. Fuck Alan Moore ayy lmao". How did you forget your(THE) best comic?

Doom-Patrol-56-10.jpg

Pages from the Dr. Aphra ongoing.

Give it all to me now.

2015:

Looks fine visually but style wise, it loses identity.

Ew, no thanks.

Just start with the main TMNT series from IDW. Then read the minis and stuff as you like. Secret History of the Foot was really good, too.

Oh man first we get Rogue One Troopers in Han Solo and now we are getting the new races in this. I can't swoon enough over the Star Wars books.

Disney gonna keep that Star Wars money train rolling forever. They paid 7 billion and it was a steal.

Speaking of Dr Aphra...Rafael Albuquerque was working on this cover for her book and disaster struck...man that's gotta suck.

Oh man, how did that happen? Heartbreaking.

Nah. He has some really good work out there (i.e. Top Ten) but a lot of his stuff is pretty deep and not light reading.

7 boxes = 0 skins.

RIGGED.

Probably. The drop-rate of anything good is definitely less than the Summer Games boxes.

I bought 24 boxes and got almost all the skins I wanted. I still need Rein and Reaper though. I'll probably buy another 50 during the week.

I bought 74 right from the get-go and got all of the Haloween skins, though I did have to buy Pharah's, Soldier's and Mercy's with credits. Dear lord the legendary Haloween skins are 3000 credits each.

Isn't just playing the game reward enough?

LOL NO

Owzers

I bought 24 boxes and got almost all the skins I wanted. I still need Rein and Reaper though. I'll probably buy another 50 during the week.

I bought Mercy with coins and just drew a Dr. Junkenstein which is helping balance out my earlier iffy draws. Two halloween reapers, two coldhearts, one halloween pharah, two regular legendaries out of 40 boxes-ish.

i expected more than three total epic skins though, especially with the duplicate.

Top Bottom