• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Owzers

Black Science #23:
I know Grant's been through a lot but he seems like an entirely different character, he's quippy and makes weird jokes.

Watched Ghostbusters (2016) for the first time tonight and it was actually pretty fun. Some choppy editing in places and fell a little flat at the climax, but for the most part it was pretty enjoyable. It was funny. Actors had good chemistry and I thought they played their parts well.

Watching The Killing Joke now. About halfway through. God save me it's very ungood.

I like several of Alan Moore's books, there are a couple I love, and I think the impact he had is undeniable, especially for DC. Whether it was good or bad impact is debatable.

And I agree with Boogie regarding the TMNT minis and micros. Some are less important than others but most of them are as good or better than the main book. You shouldn't skip them (the only one I didn't read was the Ghostbusters mini and even THAT was brought up at some point). There were a couple I didn't like at all (especially Mutanimals and Bebop & Rocksteady), but I am still glad I have them under my belt. You will be too.

What sucks about them is that most of that material could have been incorporated into the main book. It's nice that somebody went to the trouble of making a flowchart but it could easily be titled "Why IDW TMNT is a bad choice for casual readers" and it would present a compelling case without any additional explanation.

aly

Power Man and Iron Fist 9: Why is this book so good? Seriously, even the Civil War nonsense was done really good imo. Kinda worried about what Kaare Andrews is going to end up bringing to the table with his Iron Fist mini. I really did not enjoy his Living weapon run and hope it doesn't have too much of an effect on this book.

Who's getting battlefield for PS4?

Not me. Had enough of getting killed by people I didn't even see in the demo. I just finished Mafia 3 earlier tonight and started Dragon Quest Builders. It's a fun, relaxing game.

I also read Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe. It was delightful.
Was the Deadpool trading card of Mysterio supposed to say "Mysterion" ? Because that's a Southpark character, not Marvel lololol

The OT thread about selling old stuff got me to pull out some old tpbs that I should really get rid of. Anybody gone about selling old collections before?

This is what I'm getting rid of for now, I'm thinking of taking it to half price books to sell, I'm expecting less then 50 bucks for it.
ymEsukq.jpg

Sandfox

I like several of Alan Moore's books, there are a couple I love, and I think the impact he had is undeniable, especially for DC. Whether it was good or bad impact is debatable.

And I agree with Boogie regarding the TMNT minis and micros. Some are less important than others but most of them are as good or better than the main book. You shouldn't skip them (the only one I didn't read was the Ghostbusters mini and even THAT was brought up at some point). There were a couple I didn't like at all (especially Mutanimals and Bebop & Rocksteady), but I am still glad I have them under my belt. You will be too.

What sucks about them is that most of that material could have been incorporated into the main book. It's nice that somebody went to the trouble of making a flowchart but it could easily be titled "Why IDW TMNT is a bad choice for casual readers" and it would present a compelling case without any additional explanation.
That chart is from IDW's website lol.

The OT thread about selling old stuff got me to pull out some old tpbs that I should really get rid of. Anybody gone about selling old collections before?

This is what I'm getting rid of for now, I'm thinking of taking it to half price books to sell, I'm expecting less then 50 bucks for it.

You can probably get a lot more easily, I got fifty bucks for less than half that just getting rid of them at a garage sale. If you put up an ad on craigslist for "best offer," you might be surprised. Somebody willing to go to the effort of selling them all individually stands to make a pretty penny from such a transaction.

That chart is from IDW's website lol.

Which supports my point from where I'm sitting! ;)

TKJ was bad. Not gonna go into detail. It was just a bad movie.
Ending scene with Babs as Oracle got me hyped, even if it is for nothing.

Unrelated note: I really want a DC/Marvel crossover with Oracle and Jessica Jones. I think it'd be dope and it has a lot of potential. Plus, they're my girls.

You can probably get a lot more easily, I got fifty bucks for less than half that just getting rid of them at a garage sale. If you put up an ad on craigslist for "best offer," you might be surprised. Somebody willing to go to the effort of selling them all individually stands to make a pretty penny from such a transaction.

Which supports my point from where I'm sitting! ;)

That a good idea, although I've never messed with craigslist before. Maybe I'll give it a try if I don't like the offer half price books gives me. Thanks echo!

I just did a bunch of throwing away and seling, but for the opposite reason.

Need some more room for books and comics.

True, BK... actually are any of the old Marvel/DC universes canon?
Nope, and even if they were, we've had Secret Wars and Age of Ultron on the Marvel side, with Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Flashpoint, and Convergence (at least) on the DC side. By this point, they've been deleted from their respective continuities.

I've started Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and it's insane how good it is. I can't get over it.

Did you manage to find a copy of Goon Library vol.4 yet? Looks like IST and Midtown are both out of stock. TFAW still has it but for $35. I wonder WTF happened. My copy came in the mail today and it's sweet.

I'm gonna be super upset when I'm all caught up on New Girl because then I'll have to alter my nightly routine of "Watch New Girl and play Birth by Sleep until bed time." Always sad to alter a nightly routine.

I've started Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and it's insane how good it is. I can't get over it.

I love Swamp Thing. You remind me, I always meant to test the waters on that Charles Soule run but it just goes entirely out of mind when I'm buying books, even if it's DC books I'm buying.

Ross61

I love Swamp Thing. You remind me, I always meant to test the waters on that Charles Soule run but it just goes entirely out of mind when I'm buying books, even if it's DC books I'm buying.

It's really great if you ever get a chance. Probably one of the best runs is the last few years to me. Snyder passed the baton to Soule and he ran with it.

Uncanny Avengers #15
So I decided to jump back on this train woth the Marvel NOW issue, after a negative first impression immediately killed my interest, but the Standoff issue and re-piqued it. And damn am I glad I did. This was super fun. The llot's intriguing, there's good chemistry and dialogue, especially because Deadpool's not insufferable and actually enjoyable (Duggan's at it again). The art's fun and colorful and does a good job portraying the fast action. The two-page spread in this issue was super cool.
I'm genuinely curious if that's actually Banner
. One thing this issue didn't do too well on was really giving each character a defined personality. Everyone feels pretty samey except for Rogue, Torch, and Wade. And maybe Brother Voodoo. Wasp, Quicksilver, and Synapse may as well all be the same people. Again I'm giving the benefit of the doubt since I've skipped out on 12 previous issues (I've read the first and one of the Standoff issues).

Enjoyable and looking forward to more. Hopefully it stays good because I really need some more team books.

It's really great if you ever get a chance. Probably one of the best runs is the last few years to me. Snyder passed the baton to Soule and he ran with it.

I really need to get on that. I think it was just purely that I had no experience with Soule at the time that I dropped off, but it ended up building up quite a bit of good feeling about it. I like what they're doing with Rebirth, but I loved the whole *dark* push with the new 52, I want to see those books get another shot under the current talent and direction DC is pushing in.

Sandfox

Uncanny Avengers #15
So I decided to jump back on this train woth the Marvel NOW issue, after a negative first impression immediately killed my interest, but the Standoff issue and re-piqued it. And damn am I glad I did. This was super fun. The llot's intriguing, there's good chemistry and dialogue, especially because Deadpool's not insufferable and actually enjoyable (Duggan's at it again). The art's fun and colorful and does a good job portraying the fast action. The two-page spread in this issue was super cool.
I'm genuinely curious if that's actually Banner
. One thing this issue didn't do too well on was really giving each character a defined personality. Everyone feels pretty samey except for Rogue, Torch, and Wade. And maybe Brother Voodoo. Wasp, Quicksilver, and Synapse may as well all be the same people. Again I'm giving the benefit of the doubt since I've skipped out on 12 previous issues (I've read the first and one of the Standoff issues).

Enjoyable and looking forward to more. Hopefully it stays good because I really need some more team books.

Uncanny has been really good since like the first arc ended. There was even a somewhat connected issue of Deadpool that focused on him and Rogue which was really good. Right now I would say the book feels more like an X-book than an Avengers book lol.

Green Arrow #8
Issue was sexy as hell. Also, though, my first instinctive reaction to
the scarred guy was Jericho Wilson. Or someone Slade-related. Also i thought Diggle and Dinah were in a bot together and only Ollie got knocked out. So how did Dinah and Diggle end up on separate chunkcs of the island? Or am I misremembering?

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #3
Art improving, but still nothing special. Odd to focus on
Dinah's past this issue, as it really didn't have anything to do with much, though I suppose it coukd be argued that Dinah's past is being used to reflect on Helena not letting go. By letting go of her parents and accepting where she was at, Dinah was able to advance forward. Helena has not, and is why she's so angry and bent on murder.
. Still a good issue, though
I felt like the reveal of Fenice was supposed to be more impactful, which I clearly didn't feel.
Uncanny has been really good since like the first arc ended. There was even a somewhat connected issue of Deadpool that focused on him and Rogue which was really good. Right now I would say the book feels more like an X-book than an Avengers book lol.
It definitely feels good to read compared to most of the X-books. Plus I love me some Rogue.

Ross61

Deathstroke #4 was fucking great. From the relations I thought we were getting a Batman vs Deathstroke brawl, the a battle of the minds was more appropriate and just as awesome. I kinds feel sorry for those who tapped out early, this comic is definitely Top 5 at DC right now.

Like, this fucking page:

Joe Bennett and Carlo Pagulayan were perfect for the job.

Teen Titans Rebirth #1
Weird and highly amusing way to bring the team together. The art and character designs are really awesome. I want to know what dark wizardry Percy performs to get artists who can actually draw women who are sexy and not sexualized. Great job on all counts. Origin explanations felt a wee bit rushed, but they're serviceable. Enjoyable all around and enough to push me to go further. One question:
What's that giant monster with Damien? Is that from his recent solo?

Batman Beyond Rebirth #1
Honestly a bit disappointing. Felt messy trying to explain
why Terry is back with no explanation as to Tim's whereabouts.
I understand I should have probably read all of the previous run, but it was just so boooring. I like the art, but I'm hating the red eyes. Overall a bit of a sloppy issue, but I'll push through. As far as story related comments:
it has to be physically impossible for Joker to be back, right? The only nanites containing his DNA were destroyed and old Tim is probably dead anyways. So it has to be some sort of imposter. Unless there was remaining tech, but that'd feel contrived and wouldn't explain the whole crippled and in a hospital bed bit they have there.

Ross61

Teen Titans Rebirth #1
Weird and highly amusing way to bring the team together. The art and character designs are really awesome. I want to know what dark wizardry Percy performs to get artists who can actually draw women who are sexy and not sexualized. Great job on all counts. Origin explanations felt a wee bit rushed, but they're serviceable. Enjoyable all around and enough to push me to go further. One question:

Batman Beyond Rebirth #1
I understand I should have probably read all of the previous run, but it was just so boooring. I like the art, but I'm hating the red eyes. Overall a bit of a sloppy issue, but I'll push through. As far as story related comments:
it has to be physically impossible for Joker to be back, right? The only nanites containing his DNA were destroyed and old Tim is probably dead anyways. So it has to be some sort of imposter. Unless there was remaining tech, but that'd feel contrived and wouldn't explain the whole crippled and in a hospital bed bit they have there.

That's Damien's pet from his solo Robin: Son Of Batman

Mindwipe

The Transformers IDW books were the same for a long time. When they started putting everything in the hardbacks they inserted them into the reading order and it works a hell of a lot better.

Since RID/MTMTE started that's become much less of an issue.

Supergirl #2
Oh I'm sure this will end super well. In no way will
a planet populated entirely with Brainiac/Kryptonian cyborg people could EVER go poorly. I also don't particularly care for this whole Cat Grant thing. Maybe it's because I'm too interested in the actual Kryptonian thing going on.
. Ah who am I kidding, I love all of it. Good book. Seriously though, Cat Grant is a little bit irritating.
That's Damien's pet from his solo Robin: Son Of Batman
I figured, but I thought I'd ask.

Ross61

Teen Titans Rebirth #1

Batman Beyond Rebirth #1

Also, funny thing about that is I think that is a Rebirth mandate.They un-sexualized alot of female characters and their costumes.

Also, funny thing about that is I think that is a Rebirth mandate.They un-sexualized alot of female characters and their costumes.

Black Canary seems 50/50 with fans. Some really like Wu's design and feel like the new one is a downgrade. And the way Schmidt draws her is sometimes pervy. He is a pinup artist first and foremost.

But really, Starfire's the only female character that got unsexualized. Everyone else is still the same. Bleez is still Bleez.

Black Canary seems 50/50 with fans. Some really like Wu's design and feel like the new one is a downgrade. And the way Schmidt draws her is sometimes pervy. He is a pinup artist first and foremost.

Haha, this has crossed my mind while looking at the previews. I love the look of Wu's book and it's plenty sexy without being silly but some of the stuff in the Green Arrow previews is a little regressive. It's not a deal breaker or a problem for me personally, I just ignore that stuff in the end, but it is noticeable.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rewatching House Season 4, Olivia's eyes...my god. I should never have let Messi have her.

Ross61

But really, Starfire's the only female character that got unsexualized. Everyone else is still the same. Bleez is still Bleez.
I mean, Bleez been Bleez. But there's been a noticeable change in Supergirl, Raven, Starfire, Cat Grant, and others. And I don't really get the Black Canary argument cause the costume change doesn't really seem all that different to me.

I mean, Bleez been Bleez. But there's been a noticeable change in Supergirl, Raven, Starfire, Cat Grant, and others. And I don't really get the Black Canary argument cause the costume change doesn't really seem all that different to me.

Some Comicalliance journalist about a month ago was going off on how Schmidt and other male artist destroyed what Wu and Fletcher tried to do with her. These days I can't tell if it's the outfit or that she doesn't have a solo book anymore. And don't remind me that we are losing the most badass anime as fuck Raven outfit. I don't care what what anyone thinks. That shit was gold.

Top Bottom