• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Apart from weird characterization i liked the recent Black Science issues enough, no large complaints. It's still in my B-tier because i think the overall plot is not interesting enough where you take a step back and appreciate the story it's telling, but it's far from a Valiant book or something like that.

I've liked it well enough from the last issue of Godworld on.

tim1138

Lol preeeeeeety much.

That's ok because next time I'm going to get a Cho Spider Gwen.

Edit:

We aren't talking Guarnido levels of dismissiviness, but it was pretty dang close.

I met Robbi at Cincy ComiCon and he was super cool. We chatted with him for around 15 minutes about comics and music, he was one of the chillest people there. Now Joe Quinones on the other hand, that dude wanted nothing to do with anyone or anything.

The smaller companies have a much lower bar for success though.

20K per month is cancellation territory for Marvel and DC. Image creators would kill for those kinds of numbers.

Haha well I will say as always, when it comes to the complexities of the charts and sales figure s I am fairly ignorant. I really mostly ignore that stuff and the only time I think about it is when it's brought up in here, so my response is usually just shooting form the gut. That said, in this instance I totally do know that man haha I just mean in a very general way it would be nice to see the smaller companies represented in the top 100 for their good work, not that they need it to make $ or anything. Never expect knowledgeable sales analysis from me.

Messi

I met Robbi at Cincy ComiCon and he was super cool. We chatted with him for around 15 minutes about comics and music, he was one of the chillest people there. Now Joe Quinones on the other hand, that dude wanted nothing to do with anyone or anything.

Me and Zombeen has the exact opposite experience with Joe. He was awesome and went out of his way to meet up and accommodate Zombeen . I guess this could just be people having an off day. Robbi seemed like a super quiet dude who wasn't about that fan life.

Zombine

Banned

Wow we legitimately had entirely different responses. Goes to show that it genuinely is down to how people feel.

I do think that the con life does wear thin on people. Lots of drop outs at NYCC this year.

And like I said, Robbi wasn't mean or anything and he did talk to me 100%. Just totally wasn't feeling anything.

Since my Mignolaverse reread finally lead me to a brand new volume I hadn't read before, I wrote up a little bit of a review/analysis/why the book was fun during the afternoon & thought I'd post, it's been awhile. There's no overt spoilers to major events in the book ,nor any other Mignola books except one or two near the end that I've tagged, but I do allude to a few things and talk about the themes of the book etc.

23523.jpg

Hellboy In Mexico: The premise to this book is pretty fun. At some point in 1956, Hellboy was sent to Mexico on assignment. He gets so drunk, he ends up with a blank spot in his memory of what happened on that lost weekend (5 months). This book is a set of tales that fills some of that gap in.

Hellboy In Mexico: The titular tale tells the story of the assignment Hellboy was sent on in the first place. It involves him taking up with a trio of mexican luchador brothers, & fighting vampires. The highlight is a 7-8 page wrestling match where Hellboy takes a hurricanrana, and a demonic turkey may or may not show up. Mike brings in Richard Corben for this one, and his stuff is incredible. His level of detail really suits the mexican/aztec imagery found throughout the story, and he kills the wrestling sequence. The story has quite a sad ending, but more on that later.

Hellboy vs the aztec mummy: This is really just a funny little few pages of Mignola letting lose. Some crazy stuff goes on, Hellboy shrugs and punches a lot of things, and at the end we get a pretty funny description of what went down through the lens of both the original aztec mythology, and through the hellboy mythos. Come for the art.

Hellboy gets married: Not a huge fan of the art on this one. Not really well versed with Mick McMahon, apparently he worked on Dredd at some point, but I wasn't reaally a fan, I thought it came off quite stiff. The story is great though. Hellboy married a beautiful bride! Or does he? This plays with his drinking binge quite well, by flipping the script between what Hellboy is seeing, and what's really going on. It does remind me how less special Hellboy would be though without the sheer quality of the artists that have been on the character over the years.

The Coffin Man: Now this is something, and how could it not be. Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon step in and cleverly the tale is told in two episodes - one part for each brother's art (oppose to BPRD Vampire where they collaborate within each issue). It's frickin gorgeous. There's a nice bit of folklore in there too and with the coffin man himself being a brujo (witch), and considering Hellboy's relationship with witches, it's always fun when they should up. I love all the weird, little things that are from the actual folklore in this story.

House Of The Living Dead: So this was actually published a few years ago as a very slim hardcover OGN, but I guess they wanted to publish all this stuff together, and it makes sense. It's very much a sequel to the first tale in the book, that sets up Hellboy's whole episode in Mexico, and caps it all off. Corben returns on art and puts in some real really grotesque stuff this time round, it feels a little meaner than last time round. The story features Mignola's own weird mexican take on the old universal hammer horror characters, and introduces Frankenstein to the HB lore, who goes on to have his own adventures in Frankenstein Underground.

And that's the book. 5 tales, explaining why Hellboy got drunk enough to stay in Mexico, some of the stuff he got up to, and how he got over it. Reading them individually, they are just a really nice set of tales but read them as a whole, and it's quite a tragic story, as much of HB's life is. At this point in the grander scheme of things, HB is still pretty young and very green. The whole 5 month drinking binge is really HB going through the grief and trauma of losing a friend, which at this point in his life, he doesn't have many. He rejects going back to his own normal life. Denial & Isolation, check. He won't go home and he won't stop drinking. Anger, check. He makes more mistakes than you're used to seeing him make in some of these tales, and makes some very short sighted decisions, and so on. Finally he comes to acceptance of what happened, and moves on. You could assume as well that perhaps this is the only type of control HB has in his life, or that he uses this event as a substitute to escape from his larger problems. What has he got? Bruttenholm loves him, but he lives in a government building, constantly reminded of what he is, being sent on dangerous mission after dangerous mission. His time in Mexico isn't just a sign that the only control he has is to run away from life, it's the only excuse he has to grieve for his life & existence in general, especially given that it's often his choice to shrug things off and get on with the job given too, especially at this point in his life.

In terms of the overall lore, this book is fairly isolated, simply due to the premise and it's own narrative, but there are quite a few nods and allusions to
Hellboy's eventual arrival in He;;
. It works well, given that mexican folklore & imagery is quite heavily invested in the afterlife.
Astaroth
makes a small cameo too.

Also, I would be extremely remiss in not mentioning Dave Stewart's wonderful colours that bring cohesion across the various artists in the collection and make their work sing. He is genuinely fantastic at his work.

Bonus panel:

A demon turkey totally does show up.

Owzers

I sorted my backlog by book so i can catch up on one series at a time, Black Science was last night, today is:

Power Man and Iron Fist #3: I like the duo shenanigans but not much else. Supersoul stone just seems like a cheesy arc that exists to bridge to a better story. Also, Jessica swearing around her kid but Luke not and his reasoning is "she's the boss" is just weird.

TheFlow

Banned
I sorted my backlog by book so i can catch up on one series at a time, Black Science was last night, today is:

Power Man and Iron Fist #3: I like the duo shenanigans but not much else. Supersoul stone just seems like a cheesy arc that exists to bridge to a better story. Also, Jessica swearing around her kid but Luke not and his reasoning is "she's the boss" is just weird.
Jessica was the worst thing of the first act but suddenly becomes cool in the next arc. Guess they figured out nobody liked her being a Betch. Go figure

Raven being so low kills me.

Raven was legit good, too. I guess people hating good comics isn't a Marvel-exclusive problem.

Snyder said the event next summer is not about the 3 Jokers.

it's totally about the 3 Jokers

He may be telling the truth. It might be about more than 3.

The Fade Out OHC Pics are coming tomorrow!
Sorry to be so late

Mine just shipped the other day. Can't wait to get it. I actually stopped reading that one around issue 3, so most of this will be entirely new to me.

dear god DC is killing Marvel on the cover design department

they might even be kicking valiant's ass

Well, when you release your books 2-3 times a month, you do have a lot more opportunities to design covers. :3

Archie #13
Amazing Spider-Man #20
Dishonored #4 of 4
Doctor Who: Supremacy of the Cybermen #4 of 5
Harley Quinn #6
Infamous Iron Man #1
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Pink #4 of 6
The Mighty Thor #12
Pathfinder Worldscape #1 of 6
Raven #2 of 6
Star Trek: Boldly Go #1
Superman #9

Archie #13
Amazing Spider-Man #20
Dishonored #4 of 4
Doctor Who: Supremacy of the Cybermen #4 of 5
Harley Quinn #6
Infamous Iron Man #1
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Pink #4 of 6
The Mighty Thor #12
Pathfinder Worldscape #1 of 6
Raven #2 of 6
Star Trek: Boldly Go #1
Superman #9

Has the dishonored book actually been a good comic? I really dig the game but I have no real idea about the writer, which made me worry it was just a cheap cash in. That world could be suited by a comic to expand on all the teased lore though.

This guy is really making me consider reading Hellboy. Maybe I will after the holidays.

Hey that's not a bad idea! That guy must be on to something.

Here is a list of comics I may or may not purchase this week

Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #1
Raven #2
Doctor Strange #13
Mockingbird #8
Spider-Woman #12
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #13

...Wow, not a huge week. I'm fucking shocked.

Has the dishonored book actually been a good comic? I really dig the game but I have no real idea about the writer, which made me worry it was just a cheap cash in. That world could be suited by a comic to expand on all the teased lore though.

I'm buying all four issues this week, so I guess I'll find out. I just don't tend to list older stuff in my weekly lists.

I'm not buying comics this week. Didn't last week either

1453267456-69571c00ea66e7813043fe52a93ebca1.gif

I didn't buy any DCU last week. I'm just getting tired of getting hit 2-3 times per month on the same title. The same shit happened when Marvel was shipping ASM three times a month. It seems cool at first until you start watching the bill add up.

Oh cool man, let us know what you think then. I think they're even putting out a novel but I don't know about that haha not sure I could go that far.

Dishonored? I'm totally looking forward to the new game. Dark Horse is putting out an artbook, too. So I'm in for that. I usually don't go in for tie-in comics or novels, though.

Oh cool man, let us know what you think then. I think they're even putting out a novel but I don't know about that haha not sure I could go that far.

I bought that novel. I probably won't get to it for awhile though. I read my novels after work because I have a 90 minute wait for my lift, and I have 3 or 4 other books in the queue right now. Before anyone asks, I don't read comics there because I can't. I'm still waiting for my new tablet and my old one has died.

I have a high tolerance for bad licensed novels though. I attribute it to reading Transformers: Hardwired as a kid, which may be the worst book ever written. It makes Bayformers look like Citizen Kane.

Dishonored? I'm totally looking forward to the new game. Dark Horse is putting out an artbook, too. So I'm in for that. I usually don't go in for tie-in comics or novels, though.

That's the one. Yea, neither do I but the art in the previews looked good and the dishonored world is neat. I'd pick it up if folks in here were high on it. Really really liked the book dark horse put out awhile back that had all the logs from the first game collected in a tome.

Everyone's biggest tie in mistakes? I bought a few dead space things that were really bad. Edit: looks like we got Tetrax's already haha

Everyone's biggest tie in mistakes? I bought a few dead space things that were really bad. Edit: looks like we got Tetrax's already haha

I'm a sucker for a good artbook. That's not to say I haven't bought a few duds. Dark Horse usually puts out good ones, but their World of the Witcher book is pretty lacking. It doesn't have a whole lot of art, and even less is good. The book is mostly text, which might be what it was intended as in the first place. But if you buy an artbook from Dark Horse, UDON, or Titan books, you're usually getting a quality book.

I'm a sucker for a good artbook. That's not to say I haven't bought a few duds. Dark Horse usually puts out good ones, but their World of the Witcher book is pretty lacking. It doesn't have a whole lot of art, and even less is good. The book is mostly text, which might be what it was intended as in the first place. But if you buy an artbook from Dark Horse, UDON, or Titan books, you're usually getting a quality book.

Did you end up buying McQuarrie's art book in the end? Tempted to spend some of my first wage packet on it. It looks too good to pass up.

Oh man, so many. So very many.

As far as books, those Transformers novels are up there. I bought two of them actually, the third AFAIK was never released because they were so godawful, and Dreamwave closing tied into it as well I think.

I spent a good few years in and out of hospital, and my family, god bless 'em, really tried to keep me entertained. So I ended up reading a lot of rubbish. I remember the Mass Effect books being pretty terrible, most of the Halo ones as well, apart from The Fall of Reach which I remember being entertaining enough. There was a Deus Ex book which came out around Human Revolution that was just 400 pages or so of total WTF. I got two Elder Scrolls tie-in novels when I bought Skyrim, oh man, they were completely awful.

I was heavily invested in the Star Wars EU as well. By the time the Vong came in, the whole thing had completely gone to shit, but I'd gone too far to stop. I still keep up with the Star Trek Novelverse, but that's actually pretty good on the whole since nobody at Paramount cares about it so the writers just do whatever they want.

Li Kao

Two random questions because yeah it's that time of the month when I get the urge to read comics knowing full well I can't select what to read and will get burnt out in a matter of days.

How many comics do you buy each month ? maybe with MU a better question would be how many do you read ?

Totally unrelated, how was Lore by Ashley Woods ? With IDW line wide 50% I could be tempted.

Owzers

Two random questions because yeah it's that time of the month when I get the urge to read comics knowing full well I can't select what to read and will get burnt out in a matter of days.

How many comics do you buy each month ? maybe with MU a better question would be how many do you read ?

Totally unrelated, how was Lore by Ashley Woods ? With IDW line wide 50% I could be tempted.

I usually read one comic a day unless i'm trying to catch up or actually enjoy a book.

Power man and iron fist #4: So this arc is over, the dialog repetition is really taking a toll. Lots of are we a team, does jessica hate me, i should have trusted you, i should have believed you, etc etc repeated in every issue.

Also, MU is a trap, all it does is encourage you to read mediocre books because you no longer have to think about dropping them, they're all just right there. When i resub i'm going to put books on a list when they disappoint me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I buy 20-25 books a month mostly from Image and I read about 6 or 7 a month on MU.

I only recently got back into buying regularly, but probably around 30 books a month. I only buy books I actually want to read on a monthly basis these days. Most Image and creator-owned stuff is now tradewaited because a lot of the time it's not enjoyable, at least for me, as a month-to-month experience.

I'm really wary of buying Marvel books monthly these days as well. I still will, but events will probably cause me to drop books now. Not for money, I'm just tired of books being derailed and am going to vote with my wallet, at least in a small way. I will miss out on books I enjoy because of this, but Civil War II was the straw that broke the camel's back. Never again.

I read very little for a long while, between having no money and no motivation for doing anything it was a struggle. I might read 8-10 issues a week on average these days, though it does vary a lot.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
This week's list (bolds are maybes):

Black Hammer #4
Cave Carson #1
Hadrian's Wall #2
Black Panther #7
Doctor Strange #12 (LCS never did get it last week) and #13
Archangel #3 (same thing as Dr. S #12 for some reason)
Batman #9
Nightwing #7

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Horizon #4
I Hate Fairyland #10
Manifest Destiny #24
Rumble #15
Spread #17

Black Hammer #4

Is Black Hammer off on its own because it's so good it can't be seen with lesser books?

Oh, and let me know how Horizon #4 is... I'm dumping it.

I just finished reading this. The book's a lot more enjoyable now the Empirikul arc's over. I thought it started well but it felt like a drag by the end.

Getting ready to read the Doctor Strange Last Days of Magic 2. I quite enjoyed the first arc.

TheFlow

Banned

Get MU. as long as you read 5 issues or more a month it is worth the cash. I read about 20 issues from it.

how many do I buy a month. wayyy to many.

I spent a good few years in and out of hospital, and my family, god bless 'em, really tried to keep me entertained. So I ended up reading a lot of rubbish. I remember the Mass Effect books being pretty terrible, most of the Halo ones as well, apart from The Fall of Reach which I remember being entertaining enough. There was a Deus Ex book which came out around Human Revolution that was just 400 pages or so of total WTF. I got two Elder Scrolls tie-in novels when I bought Skyrim, oh man, they were completely awful.

Haha I have experience with that deus book actually. They actually paid that dude to do another for mankind divided, no joke. Crinnnngeee. Much agreed on the halo novels too.

Is Black Hammer off on its own because it's so good it can't be seen with lesser books?

Getting ready to read the Doctor Strange Last Days of Magic 2. I quite enjoyed the first arc.

Think he was denoting a different publisher man

I'm terms of monthly singles, I buy around 20 a month, all Image and DC.

In terms of reading a month, a ton. I read almost everything Marvel on Unlimited, and have a hefty backlog from other publishers on Comixology. I'm sitting at 882 comics on the year so far, so 90ish per month?

TheFlow

Banned
I have already bought most of these already. I really like pre ordering stuff now.
Marvel
Black Panther #7

Captain America Sam Wilson #14

Death Of X #2

Doctor Strange #13

Infamous Iron Man #1

Mighty Thor #12

DC
Superman #9

Raven #2

Nightwing #7

Green Arrow #9

Cave Carson has a cybernetic eye #1

Batman #9

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Just separating by company. It's rare when I buy a non-Image book so I have to make sure people notice.

Top Bottom