• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Jintor

I read a bunch of Spiderman books (The Gauntlet: Electro/Sandman and Peter Parker's Return or whatever it's called) and Batman RIP at the library today.

Batman RIP was fucking nuts, like a fever dream. I'm never going to understand Grant Morrison books, but I did enjoy reading it.

The Gauntlet was kind of lame, but it was interesting exploring Electro as a character. Sandman's story was okay.

I really enjoyed Peter Parker's return mainly for the reason that I have zero familiarity with Spiderman aside from what I remember from, like, the 90s cartoon so all this bullshit with mind-swapped Doc Ock and now he's kinda like Bruce Wayne now and also he's having creepy ceiling sex with some aforementioned never before seen spider chick who is pretty cool and also JJJ was the mayor? and is now basically bill o'reilly except anti-spider instead of anti everyone? was just, like, a lot to take in.

Ross61

Well if you can't see a difference in visual portrayal between wu's book or the batgirl run versus the new green arrow stuff, that's fine. I do agree costumes aren't very different.
Well, the difference in the respective artist art style also needs to be addressed to the discussion, as without it the topic loses some nuance.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Haha damn dude, did not take you long, it's looking great! What's the logic here, tallest book to smallest in general? I drive myself nuts trying to decide to order my books. Right now I've got publisher per shelf, but I dislike this meaning writers have their work split across shelfs. Then of course HC and height to paperback/smallest left to right.

And I did not know that second Dr Strange book was out.

No real logic besides keep the same publisher together and put the HCs first, I guess. I'm OCD, but not THAT OCD. Yeah those Strange Premium Hardcovers are great.

Alan-Moore-008.jpg

So I think we can consider him the GOAT comic book writer, the way he changed the industry, I don't really think anyone is near him, and in the future it would be hard to reach his level (of course its also alot harder to revolutionize the industry again) but I think he will always be the king

Douglas Wolk, a comic critic, once wrote about Moore, "He can't just impress you; he has to tell you how much he is going to impress you first." Apt, and funny.

Well, the difference in the respective artist art style also needs to be addressed to the discussion, as without it the topic loses some nuance.

I think the conversation lost nuance when you said you point blank don't get it, so I'm happy with that man. I think we might be dancing through hoops a little here, and I'm not much interested in that.

Ross61

I think the conversation lost nuance when you said you point blank don't get it, so I'm happy with that man. I think we might be dancing through hoops a little here, and I'm not much interested in that.
Um, ok. I was open to it being explained since I've read both works and don't think this is as simple as some have made it. But I guess.

No real logic besides keep the same publisher together and put the HCs first, I guess. I'm OCD, but not THAT OCD. Yeah those Strange Premium Hardcovers are great.

Hahah, i'm not too OCD...*twitch* my Mignola books have just about filled the entire shelf they live on now, I have no idea how I'm going to split them onto a second shelf. The day I deal with that will not be fun.

Um, ok. I was open to it being explained since I've read both works and don't think this is as simple as some have made it. But I guess.

Haha, not trying to come off harsh man as maybe that sounded. I've just evaluated what's been said, and I think it's been pretty front facing. If you disagree, say you disagree. If you're saying you just don't get it, then I take you at your word and accept it, but I personally can't word it better. Also tbh I've only seen the preview work so I think it'd be wrong for me to go to bat on the issue (hasn't reached trade yet). It's not that important to me. Swamp Thing is a better subject!

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Hahah, i'm not too OCD...*twitch* my Mignola books have just about filled the entire shelf they live on now, I have no idea how I'm going to split them onto a second shelf. The day I deal with that will not be fun.

Yup. No OCD there. Like at all. In any amount. Ever.

Red Hood is my favorite minor DC character and I have watched Lobdel squander him for the past 5 years. So excuse me if I am a bit apprehensive in regards to his third try.

Besides, the first series was also buoyed by strong artwork until Rocafort inevitably left and it fell apart into sub-mediocrity.

As I said before: the plotting and the ongoing narrative of the series is very strong thus far. The fact that the dialog does not pull its weight is definitely important to mention.

Look fam, I'm a bigger Red Hood fan than you and I say he has blessed us these 5 years. So I'ma be biased and say you are wrong and end it there.

But seriously this is gonna be some good shit.

Messi

I forgot to mention about NYCC. Robbi Rodriguez and Frank Cho's booths were either side of an alley way. They were in touching distance of each other. Someone has to have been trolling Robbi.

I read a bunch of Spiderman books (The Gauntlet: Electro/Sandman and Peter Parker's Return or whatever it's called) and Batman RIP at the library today.

Batman RIP was fucking nuts, like a fever dream. I'm never going to understand Grant Morrison books, but I did enjoy reading it.

The Gauntlet was kind of lame, but it was interesting exploring Electro as a character. Sandman's story was okay.

I really enjoyed Peter Parker's return mainly for the reason that I have zero familiarity with Spiderman aside from what I remember from, like, the 90s cartoon so all this bullshit with mind-swapped Doc Ock and now he's kinda like Bruce Wayne now and also he's having creepy ceiling sex with some aforementioned never before seen spider chick who is pretty cool and also JJJ was the mayor? and is now basically bill o'reilly except anti-spider instead of anti everyone? was just, like, a lot to take in.

RIP is nuts. But honestly, I love that entire Morrison run (Final Crisis included). I've reread it a bunch of times and I think I finally have a grasp of the whole thing.

...okay, maybe not FC the entire way through but it won't stop me from loving it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ugh, so rough.

Next time I plan to go out drinking I want someone to crack me over the head with a hardcover

Yeah, we only went to the local pub and it was a better night out than any club I've been to. They had karaoke so I was in my element

This is a perfect night out for me. My friends still want to go to the local clubs, where there are school kids sneaking in under age. I mean, we did it back then, but it's embarrassing the older you get ha. A night in the pub though, pint in hand, good music on the box or karaoke and you're set, as long as the company is good.

Awesome! Have not read anything by Sebela before.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This is a perfect night out for me. My friends still want to go to the local clubs, where there are school kids sneaking in under age. I mean, we did it back then, but it's embarrassing the older you get ha. A night in the pub though, pint in hand, good music on the box or karaoke and you're set, as long as the company is good.

Awesome! Have not read anything by Sebela before.

I hate the club scene where I live. Filled with dickheads and tarts. Just not a good night out at all.

Dark horse's highest book only being in the mid 100s makes me sad. They put out a whole bunch of cool books. The image books that.makes the top 100 are.really only superstar writers though so I'm not shocked. It's just harsh when the blurb has to give them a mention haha.

Zombine

Banned
Ain't talking to someone who commissioned him either. You should have seen how dismissive he was of Zombine.

Lol preeeeeeety much.

That's ok because next time I'm going to get a Cho Spider Gwen.

Edit:

We aren't talking Guarnido levels of dismissiviness, but it was pretty dang close.

Owzers

Apart from weird characterization i liked the recent Black Science issues enough, no large complaints. It's still in my B-tier because i think the overall plot is not interesting enough where you take a step back and appreciate the story it's telling, but it's far from a Valiant book or something like that.

Does anyone want a Karnak #5 digital code?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Haha for sure. My boy watches the brave and the bold cartoon quite a lot actually, it's gloriously off the wall. It's cool to see characters like the demon show up on tv.

The smaller companies have a much lower bar for success though.

20K per month is cancellation territory for Marvel and DC. Image creators would kill for those kinds of numbers.

Top Bottom