• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

That was a different one ;) I had a meeting since then with another woman, who now wants to meet again.

Damn gameproff be like......

hugh-hefner-06-gty-jef-170927_4x3_992.jpg

I know this probably isnt right, but seemed like an apt time to use the image ha

ElNarez

Banned
I think Slott was dumb for engaging, but I can see where he's coming from r.e. Higgins. He says he's talking them up in-store, but the message those GIFs send online is "nobody wants these books! They're garbage!" Any aspect of a consumer going "hmm, people seem to be picking these books up, maybe I should check them out" is totally lost.

Maybe it's just me, but like, as a comic book shop owner, I wouldn't tweet that business is going bad just to score a point dunking on Marvel. Considering they're the market leader, no one with actual investment in comics should be rooting against them.

This is an alarm. This is saying "I can't shoulder all the work of drumming interest in Marvel Comics after years of declining sales". Slott and Spencer are getting mad because they're company men.

Put it more simply: Ryan Higgins isn't why I don't give a shit about all the X-Men books save for Astonishing. Marvel fucked up, and they're showing no intention of changing course. That's dangerous.

Oh yeah, Kite Man’s in play. Kite Man’s at the beginning and he’ll be at the end. These 100 issues are a story about Batman and Catwoman and a story about Kite Man, too.

Just make it a hundred issues of Kite Man. Heck, my dream is for Kite Man to have a suicide squad of his own that's full of d-list villians. Kite Man, hell yeah.

Is Kite man best character of the War of jokes and riddles

Yes or yes

Kite Man is a character I want to drown in ongoings for. Kite Man: Year Zero, Kite Man Team-Up, a romantic comedy series starring him, do it all. Just give me four books a month about him.

caliph95

My favorite part of the finale is Kite before finishing his "hell yeah"
gets knocked out by riddler telling him to shut the fuck up

Vic_Viper

What time is the main Marvel Comcis panel today at NYCC?

Is it going to be streamed?

Btw, that Battle Chasers game looks soo good. Thinking about reading the comics before starting the game since it takes place after the books. But wasnt someone on here the other day talking about it not being that great? Is it only the 0-9 collection or is there another set of the books? I thought he started it somewhere and then started over at his own company.

Reminds me of Citizen V’s prominent place in the promotional art for ANAD despite never showing up in that form.

You know, I’m surprised we didn’t get one of those art pieces for Legacy.
But Citizen V was in ANAD
Code:
[img]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/10/100647/5949753-sspot.jpg[/img]

Vic_Viper

Apparently Marvel has pulled The Punisher Netflix NYCC Panel due to the Vegas shooting. Guess thats the smartest thing to do. Hope they still announce the release date finally though.

What time is the main Marvel Comcis panel today at NYCC?

Is it going to be streamed?

Btw, that Battle Chasers game looks soo good. Thinking about reading the comics before starting the game since it takes place after the books. But wasnt someone on here the other day talking about it not being that great? Is it only the 0-9 collection or is there another set of the books? I thought he started it somewhere and then started over at his own company.

Battle Chasers is a decent read. Nothing exceptional on the writing front, but Joe Mad art is Joe Mad art. The game is very nice, though. Super classic JRPG type combat and gorgeous visuals (because it looks just like the comic).

Ross61

Is there a specific set of books that deal only with the Watchmen/DCCU storyline? I dont have time or space to read all the new arcs Rebirth has had.

Titans first arc hinted at it. But mostly it's been The Button arc from Batman and Flash which should be collected and Doomsday Clock.

X-Men Blue and Venom crossover announced. So how many books are Venom crossing over with?

Edit: Marvel pressures retailers to buy tons of copies of the Power Pack etc one-shots so they can do ongoings with them.

Some interesting things from that panel:

Intergalactic Wakanda is going to be the basis of the third season Coates black panther story

Legion and rogue/gambit are going to be 5 issue mini series

Rogue/gambit writer is going to be Kelly Thompson (luckily not Anka on art)

Wilson Fisk as mayor is going to be a big story for Daredevil and effect other series too

They likely pushed this up a bit due to the intensely negative reaction to Secret Empire. You would have expected normally there'd be a few months of people dealing with the fallout of that before jumping into the next thing, but SE was getting such vocally negative reactions online they probably *had* to push it up.

I don't even think they pushed it up, so much as they just hastily slapped together something that looks kind of like a relaunch if you don't look at it too closely. Whatever comes next year will likely have more planning and effort put into it, which of course isn't to say that it'll actually be up to the task of boosting sales.

I don't blame her

Definitely true.

Comics is such a weird industry, in some ways its starting to become really progressive with series that represent different races, sexual orientation, feminism. With some great series by Boom and Image.

Then in an other way you'll see writers/artists and book characters ripped to shreds for trying to do anything different from the norm. With so many fans being well and truly bigots and racists about it.

I couldn't tell you if things are improving or getting worse *shrugs*

Legacy is out of the top ten best sellers after one week(it was #4 last week):
1. The Walking Dead #172
2. Batman #32
3. Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1
4. Batman: White Knight #1
5. Injustice 2 #26
6. Star Wars #37
7. Paper Girls #16
8. Green Arrow #32
9. Darth Vader #6
10. Superman #32

Definitely true.

Comics is such a weird industry, in some ways its starting to become really progressive with series that represent different races, sexual orientation, feminism. With some great series by Boom and Image.

Then in an other way you'll see writers/artists and book characters ripped to shreds for trying to do anything different from the norm. With so many fans being well and truly bigots and racists about it.

It feels to me like the progression with characters and bringing in a wave of representation is because of higher ups trying to reach out and get a new audience (not that it's always the case, or that's even negative). The problem is it's a common problem of a good portion of comic fans revealing their bigotry with their own complaints whenever any change is made.

I'd say things are getting better because of this, because the bigotry was always there, but not the more progressive and new characters.

I'm fine with this. I was kind of hoping they'd keep the banner and ditch the "Rebirth" part. Seeing the name of the arc/issue at the top of the issue is nice, too. Unnecessary, but I like it.
”in that form”
Well yeah
Throwing a curve ball
Definitely true.

I hung out with a friend and a couple of his friends and one of them used "Marvel" and "Diversity" in a way that was mocking.

It'll never get better. Not really. The bigotry will never go away, but hopefully the harrasment will.

Top Bottom