• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Zombine

Banned
I'm not going to comment on the quality of each book, but I believe that Civil War II may be one of the most intrusive events in recent memory.

Zombine

Banned
More than Civil War 1? That book took over everything

I would say that it's pretty damn close. Out of the 21 books I redeemed today (for the week of the 19th), 3 did not have the Civil War II logo.

On Rebirth's end, I have purchased $60 worth of books and entire rebirth runs and none of them are trapped in crossover hell.

Not about to get into DC vs. Marvel, but I can say that as a lapsed DC reader during NU52, while I have cut the fat out of my Rebirth pulls, every book has been incredibly fun and accessible. The Superfamily books remind me of what Marvel used to be.

I would say that it's pretty damn close. Out of the 21 books I redeemed today (for the week of the 19th), 3 did not have the Civil War II logo.

On Rebirth's end, I have purchased $60 worth of books and entire rebirth runs and none of them are trapped in crossover hell.

Not about to get into DC vs. Marvel, but I can say that as a lapsed DC reader during NU52, while I have cut the fat out of my Rebirth pulls, every book has been incredibly fun and accessible. The Superfamily books remind me of what Marvel used to be.

When Rebirth started, I was enjoying Marvel more because many of the Rebirth books didn't captivate me as I expected them to coming off that great one-shot.

But now I'm in the same boat as you. DC is providing me the good stuff, especially with Superman's main title, which is just great to read every week. And Marvel is ruining their great titles by tieing them into an awful event like CWII. A couple of weeks ago, the quality of Ms. Marvel dropped. This week, Power Man and Iron Fist is going through the CWII slump.

I'm so glad that Mighty Thor hasn't been sucked into that idiotic CW2 vortex yet.

I'm so glad that Mighty Thor hasn't been sucked into that idiotic CW2 vortex yet.

This is what I like about Aaron's books, he keeps himself well insulated from all that stuff, makes for a much better read tradewise too, no issues sacrificed to the tie in machine.

Even his own event in fact. He used original sin to springboard the status quo change for Thor but the title itself never had a tie in that disrupted it's arcs. Even the tenth realm stuff was shuffled off to its own book.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that is one thing i'm loving about going through Aaron's Thor run (now on the last trade of male Thor)

it's so self contained. really helps keep the pacing and coherence up.

This is what I like about Aaron's books, he keeps himself well insulated from all that stuff, makes for a much better read tradewise too, no issues sacrificed to the tie in machine.

Even his own event in fact. He used original sin to springboard the status quo change for Thor but the title itself never had a tie in that disrupted it's arcs. Even the tenth realm stuff was shuffled off to its own book.
It's a shame his X-men book couldn't have been more protected. It got riddled with event tie ins

It's a shame his X-men book couldn't have been more protected. It got riddled with event tie ins

Totally, I was meaning his recent output of thor and Dr Strange but you're totally right and it was a major offput about the run despite being really rad. I would say he'd have better luck now but with upcoming death if x/inhumans vs stuff, I doubt it.

that is one thing i'm loving about going through Aaron's Thor run (now on the last trade of male Thor)

Old man Thor and Galactus in this,
so good haha. Finally got that femthor OHC dispatched so I can get Reading the run again, really looking forward to it.

List!

Blue Beetle #1 - get good, or get dropped
Deadly Class #22
Detective Comics #941
Flash #7
Saga #38
Snot Girl #3
Teen Titans Rebirth #1 - giving all Rebirth a shot, little interest

Happy 75 Green Arrow years from DC:
2hsbd.jpg

List of Actually Being Able to Buy Comics Again:

Batman Beyond Rebirth One-Shot
Detective Comics #941
Harley Quinn #1
Josie & The Pussycats #1
MASK Revolution One-Shot
Micronauts Revolution One-Shot
ROM #1
Snotgirl #3
Suicide Squad #3
Teen Titans Rebirth One-Shot
The Transformers #57
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #57
Wonder Woman #7
Wonder Woman: A True Amazon HC (have to wait for Amazon to get this, so not strictly this week)

All New Wovlerine
[2/5]: Disliked the characterization of Laura as a result of the CW2 plot intruding into the book. The art was largely a miss as well and the plot in general was far too predictable to be enjoyable.

Astonishing Ant-Man, The #11
[4/5]: The monologue is a bit tiring and the recap by Ant-Man ontop of the Marvel included recap continues to be unnecessary but this was a pretty fun issue. I think Spencer's problem with this series is that it took him 11 issues to get to where he should have been by issue 6 and despite being fun and charming throughout, he really shouldn't have done one giant overarching story. His style on this series would work better with more stand alone, shorter arcs.

Trinity #1
[5/5]: This was the surprise of the week for me. I expected bombastic, largely meaningless action to setup the intro issue going in but I got great art with a story focused on the characters. New Superman continues to be the best character in DC right now and I loved where the story is heading with the twist at the end.

Power Man & Iron Fist #8
[3/5]: Walker had a pretty good handling on the issue and was executing it pretty well until Carol and her army showed up, devolving much of the conflict to a simple punching match. Good to see Storm there, wouldn't want to show just white people arresting black people for a crime that hasn't been committed yet.

Superman #7
[5/5]: This continues to be one of the best Rebirth titles. Tomasi is really nailing the focus on Superman's family. Just a fun issue all around and the last two pages were great.

Mighty Thor, The #11
[5/5]: I really liked the panel work in this issue and the way the twist resolved itself was pretty surprising. I'm not sure what to think about it but I'm looking forward to the next issue. Hated the two SHIELD idiots. Aaron chose to keep making them dumber and dumber by the page, which hurts the story a bit because it makes that entire aspect of the plot feel a bit contrived.

Vision #11
[5/5]: I'm going to miss this series when it ends. Another fantastic issue. The cold, detached writing style has been absolutely perfect this entire run.

With the weekly stuff out of the way, it's finally time to start reading Omega Me- err.. Scaped!

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Trinity #1
[5/5]: This was the surprise of the week for me. I expected bombastic, largely meaningless action to setup the intro issue going in but I got great art with a story focused on the characters. New Superman continues to be the best character in DC right now and I loved where the story is heading with the twist at the end.

Hmm... gotta stop and pick that one up. I couldn't decide in the shop.

mreddie

And the tie in minis were actually really good.

Luckily Ms Marvel has one last tie in and everyone else is about to leave that shitshow.

Trinity #1

Scalped #6
[6/5!]: Loved that thing that happened with you know who! And especially considering what happened to so and so at the end of the last arc! What I truly loved though was just reading the book at all! I can't believe I put it off this long. And don't even start me on the art. Really can't wait to see what happens next when thingy finds out about that!

Vision #11
[5/5]: I'm going to miss this series when it ends. Another fantastic issue. The cold, detached writing style has been absolutely perfect this entire run.

I'm actually quite surprised as everyone's thoughts and the reviews come back in about Trinity. I really found the first volume of Manapul's TEC run to be painful. Some quite confusing plotting, despite the quality of the art. Who knows, maybe he's actually better without Buccalatto? Everyone's impressions continue to tease me on Vision too. New trade is so far away :(

Oh and cheers for the update on that other book, surprised you had thoughts before you finished the whole volume but I guess you're just loving it that much. Enjoy Omega Men! ;)

kmfdmpig

I'm actually quite surprised as everyone's thoughts and the reviews come back in about Trinity. I really found the first volume of Manapul's TEC run to be painful. Some quite confusing plotting, despite the quality of the art.

It was a simple story, but a good one that managed the characters well.

I am all for character first storytelling, and that's what people keep coming back to. I'm super interested in that, especially when there are already other books doing the other things. JL with the team-up between the three, their own books to delve further into their worlds. If Manapul can do this, it sounds good.

VanWinkle

I am all for character first storytelling, and that's what people keep coming back to. I'm super interested in that, especially when there are already other books doing the other things. JL with the team-up between the three, their own books to delve further into their worlds. If Manapul can do this, it sounds good.

I'll tell you this much, his writing was certainly better than Hitch on JL. There's actually some personality to it.

Idk looks like they're having a good time on the cover.

Dixon is pretty conservative right? Thought I remember him being one of the few conservative comics creators out there.

him and some other dude were whining about how tough it is in the comics industry as a conservative a year or two ago

I'm actually quite surprised as everyone's thoughts and the reviews come back in about Trinity. I really found the first volume of Manapul's TEC run to be painful. Some quite confusing plotting, despite the quality of the art. Who knows, maybe he's actually better without Buccalatto? Everyone's impressions continue to tease me on Vision too. New trade is so far away :(

Oh and cheers for the update on that other book, surprised you had thoughts before you finished the whole volume but I guess you're just loving it that much. Enjoy Omega Men! ;)

Yea, as kmfdmpig points out, it was actually quite a simple story. It just put the focus on the characters which I really appreciated. And the lack of action was really surprising. Usually the #1's are super bombastic when Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are involved.

And that Scalped review, hilarious! I've actually started the trade. But I'll hold off on impressions/reviews until I finish it. =P

I'll tell you this much, his writing was certainly better than Hitch on JL. There's actually some personality to it.

Oh man, that's some praise. JL was actually the comic I was thinking of going into Trinity. Needless to say, even if someone didn't enjoy Trinity's #1, it was waaaaaaaaay better then JL.

frye

Idk looks like they're having a good time on the cover.

Dixon is pretty conservative right? Thought I remember him being one of the few conservative comics creators out there.

yeah, I don't think it ever really showed up in his work but he's always been right-leaning

Vol. 2 of New 52 Supergirl is solid. Like the previous volume. I have an issue with it involving it's storytelling structure, but other than that it's a cool action story.

Say no more fam:

That last one made me really sad cuz it reminded me of a time when Bleach had so much promise and Kubo's art was top tier.

It sucks that in the manga industry, the artist and the writer is often one and the same. There's a lot of mangas with amazing art but that just aren't very good. It's honestly very rare for me to find a manga with both stunning art and a good story.

The only stuff I'm reading right now manga wise that would qualify are: Kingdom and Vinland Saga. I like One Piece too but that's more stylistic, where as the former two just have great art in general.

It's honestly very rare for me to find a manga with both stunning art and a good story.

Any examples come.to mind man? Thinking of maybe starting a few manga, doesn't have to be contemporary or anything, just any favorites where you'd say the writing was as good as thw art. I always wanted to check out Pluto, but otherwise I have no real plan of where to start.

Dusknoir

The only stuff I'm reading right now manga wise that would qualify are: Kingdom and Vinland Saga. I like One Piece too but that's more stylistic, where as the former two just have great art in general.

You should try Jojo, Berserk and Attack on Titan.
Also try Girls of the Wilds.

Top Bottom