• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Y'know what Ellis book I really liked. Fell. Really wish that had gone on a bit longer but that was the era of all his scripts dying in his hard drive. Great book though. Agree on Moon Knight too Oni, really enjoyed that volume. I like injection well enough but mostly looking forward to reading trees vol 2., that was some top shit. Read gun machine earlier in the year, was alright. Better comic writer than novel writer.

Dusknoir

WW being bisexual is one of the biggest duhs in comics imo. Makes a lot of sense in a lot of different ways for the character. Has it been explicitly stated she had no sexual experiences or attraction prior to leaving her home and meeting Trevor? It would be kind of dumb to say a society of women becomes asexual in the absence of men.
That's mentioned in Rebirth Wonder Woman #2. It's implied that she had relations with other woman on the island in the fast forward.

kmfdmpig

Several Rebirth books were really good this week. This was the first week where the promise of more heart/levity/hope that Johns' Rebirth special focused on, seemed to really be delivered across multiple titles.

Superman 7 was the best example of that (Tomasi is so great with father/son or friendship development).

Trinity was good at focusing on the development of friendships as well as family.

Even Green Arrow, Green Lanterns (which finally had an issue I really liked) and Aquaman had a fair amount of that this week.

I haven't read Monster Men yet, but look forward to it.

Sandfox

3d5.gif

its like a vicious cycle.

I'm excited for this lol. I've really enjoyed the ASM issues leading up to it.

TheFlow

Banned
Several Rebirth books were really good this week. This was the first week where the promise of more heart/levity/hope that Johns' Rebirth special focused on, seemed to really be delivered across multiple titles.

Superman 7 was the best example of that (Tomasi is so great with father/son or friendship development).

Trinity was good at focusing on the development of friendships as well as family.

Even Green Arrow, Green Lanterns (which finally had an issue I really liked) and Aquaman had a fair amount of that this week.

I haven't read Monster Men yet, but look forward to it.

monster men will blow you away.

I'm excited for this lol. I've really enjoyed the ASM issues leading up to it.
I think I have concluded that my biggest issue with ASM is the use of the clones. I dislike how much they gone into the rabbit hole with them

Now death of x? you already know I am going to buy every 6 dollar issue marvel puts. and lets be real we know it is going to be 6 dollars lol

Sandfox

monster men will blow you away.

I think I have concluded that my biggest issue with ASM is the use of the clones. I dislike how much they gone into the rabbit hole with them

Now death of x? you already know I am going to buy every 6 dollar issue marvel puts. and lets be real we know it is going to be 6 dollars lol

The first issue of Death of X is $5 with the rest being $4.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Slott knows how to use the Jackal. Dont worry, it will be fine.
I just hope we dont get another 15 new Spider-Ongoings after this.
Kaine maybe, but please no one else.

Y'know what Ellis book I really liked. Fell. Really wish that had gone on a bit longer but that was the era of all his scripts dying in his hard drive. Great book though. Agree on Moon Knight too Oni, really enjoyed that volume. I like injection well enough but mostly looking forward to reading trees vol 2., that was some top shit. Read gun machine earlier in the year, was alright. Better comic writer than novel writer.

Oh yeah, Fell was some good shit. Bad luck on that end.

I agree that for some reason he is not as good a straight-up author. I think he needs the visual medium because he's really good at paneling and story flow and he uses visuals in all the right ways to convey his stories. His dialogue is top notch so if you get rid of the need to write his bad exposition or action and just have it visually happening...well, that's a treat.

Trees is some great stuff, and I wasn't TOO into Injection until Vol. 2 where it became the Vivek Headland power hour and now I just want an entire series of him solving cases because he is amazing.

I just think Ellis at this point is my favorite, most consistent writer for comics. His highs are way high and rarely has he ever misstepped. Even comics I didn't like as much as his others I still thought were at the very least good.

Ross61

Getting through these last two seasons of the Office and it's just horribly unfunny. I don't know why they didn't end with Michael leaving. Like, 97% of the comedy stemmed from Michael's bad decisions. They're struggling without him. There's "funny" things happening, but it's just not funny.

I agree that for some reason he is not as good a straight-up author. I think he needs the visual medium because he's really good at paneling and story flow and he uses visuals in all the right ways to convey his stories. His dialogue is top notch so if you get rid of the need to write his bad exposition or action and just have it visually happening...well, that's a treat.

Trees is some great stuff, and I wasn't TOO into Injection until Vol. 2.

I absolutely agree, that was basically my assessment of gun machine. A good idea for a story, and some great dialogue as per Ellis but the actual book writing part was very by the numbers uninspired, somewhat clunky. It really displayed his strengths as a comic writer through his weakness as a novel writer. I honestly think writing a novel is a really hard thing and to an extent it can't be learned. It's either in your bones in how you look at the world and absorb it's details or it's not.

And that's cool, I haven't read injection vol 2 yet either, just volume 1 for both, so if it picks up that's brilliant. He is great though, looking forward to heartless surfacing at some point (that was is name right, the Lotay book?). I love Trees too just because you wouldn't believe Jason Howard is the same guy who drew super dinosaur haha

VanWinkle

Getting through these last two seasons of the Office and it's just horribly unfunny. I don't know why they didn't end with Michael leaving. Like, 97% of the comedy stemmed from Michael's bad decisions. They're struggling without him. There's "funny" things happening, but it's just not funny.

Argh. Makes me mad to even remember that. The Office was my favorite show ever and they ruined everything good about it. Well, actually, I'd still consider seasons 1-4.5 to be my favorite comedy.

CazTGG

After finally finding a sale that made Moon Knight Vol. 1 finally affordable, and reading through it again, I must reiterate and stand by my point that if you want to make a flagging or failing book readable again you hire Warren Ellis to do some mercenary work for you, have him reboot the character/group and then have other authors ride his coat-tails until they inevitably fuck it up and drag the writing down with standard comic book horseshit or smash it into the general Marvel/DC malaise of titles.

Seriously, this is some high tier shit.

A shame the book changed creative teams after his spectacular six issue run, none of which have matched his high mark (Lemire's currently ongoing run in particular feels like a completely pretentious regression that has more fondness for the Doug Moench era than the character of Moon Knight/Marc Spector) of Ellis' retooling of the character for a modern read.

So Lunchpod, did you read Britannia #1? Thoughts?

The storytelling was a little jarring, but otherwise it set up some weird and interesting directions to take the story. It's pretty far removed from anything I've read from Valiant, in both style and I'm not sure it's in the same universe, but I'm cautiously looking forward to the next one.

Your thoughts?

The Vision #11
This book is leaving me speechless. I'm verys curious as to if
Virginia saw the same future as Agatha, or something else. Because murdering Victor is fucking brutal either way, and a rather extreme solution. Assuming it even was a solution.

Superman #7
Just a great issue. Heartwarming and fun. Loved every bit.

Green Arrow #7
Emiko da bess. Also
it's cool to see Clock King as a supervillain instead of a gamg boss with a clock fetish.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #7
This book remains godlike. That is all. Carry on.

Top Bottom