• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I already have the first three trades, which is the most practical way of buying comics. That way if I don't like it I can keep reading and complain about it here.

I just did a ranking. It was my 7th ranked Image book at that moment 4 minutes ago. So I think there might be a chance you won't be overly annoyed with it.

Messi

The Cookoos are back. I can't breathe. I am so happy. I could cry. I always wanted to believe but my belief died as the months passed.

giphy.gif

Volume 3 of Saga was the best yet. It was so tense going into the last few issues where all the main characters started to
converge at the lighthouse. I was expecting a time skip at some point, but it made sense to do one after this felt like the end of the first big arc. Poor old Oswald. :(

Yea, it's a great showdown moment. More of those to come :D you're about to move into the more meatier stuff too, bkv really starts to push and pull at the core themes of being a parent and maturing or not maturing as your kid matures and so on, the next arc has a lot of great stuff on that, and some of the stuff that happened with the will goes in some really satisfying directions (trying to stay painfully vague haha). Pretty much if you're enjoying it, wait til you see what's next, I love the book. It manages to present questions about family and growth, both as a unit and individual I've never saw something like the fantastic come close to.

Very reassuring to see an interspecies space family I can relate to in my own day to day life.

smisk

Woah Teen Titans and Batman Beyond are out this week! Gonna wait to here your impressions but I'm definitely interested in these books.

Only thing from my pull list this week is Star Wars. Need to decide if I should get Snotgirl #3. I love O'Malley's writing but I'm just not sure if this book is for me. I know a lot of it's supposed to be funny or satirical but it still feels a little too immersed in the fashion blog culture for me to get a lot out of it.

VanWinkle

I think I need to read a few trades before I start another omnibus. It took FOREVER to read the JSA Omni Vol 1. I think it was going on two and a half weeks or something crazy like that. So I need a few small palette cleansers.

The Filth is certainly something. Only 5 issues in and im enjoying it. Lots to unpack. Even warns you as much. Definitely not something you want to read if you want to free the mind of clutter and go down a linear path. Very abstract. Thinking mans comic.

Sandfox

I wouldn't be surprised if they were dead only to be brought back next year when the new status quo hits the X-Men and Inhumans.

frye

The Filth is certainly something. Only 5 issues in and im enjoying it. Lots to unpack. Even warns you as much. Definitely not something you want to read if you want to free the mind of clutter and go down a linear path. Very abstract. Thinking mans comic.

The Filth is also really cool in that it's a Morrison comic that is skeptical towards the typical Morrisonian mantra that "The Superheroes Are Here To Save Us" (as in Flex/ASS)

also it's about a guy who just really loves his cat man

Alright, so where the hell is The Spectre Vol. 3 (Ostrander/Mandrake)? I check periodically to see whether it's out but it's been SO damn long since 2 that i'm thinkin it got cancelled? Talking about that re-release obviously

:(

The Filth is also really cool in that it's a Morrison comic that is skeptical towards the typical Morrisonian mantra that "The Superheroes Are Here To Save Us" (as in Flex/ASS)

also it's about a guy who just really loves his cat man

As a guy who loves his cats, I can confirm I love this aspect.

Owzers

if you're reading any comics at all, why isn't one of them Ms Marvel?

i haven't started the relaunch yet on MU, too busy planning Trump's presidential victory party. I think it's bet to buy all the supplies ahead of time before demand picks up. That page seems to have spoiled the greatest comic event of 2016-2017, Civil War 2.

Sandfox

i haven't started the relaunch yet on MU, too busy planning Trump's presidential victory party. I think it's bet to buy all the supplies ahead of time before demand picks up. That page seems to have spoiled the greatest comic event of 2016-2017, Civil War 2.
Kamala wouldn't support Trump.

Ross61

Eh, going back to Vertigo won't mean shit without a good writer.What can't he do at Vertigo that he can't do in the DCU again?

And I think Young Animal is part of the DCU.

kmfdmpig

Eh, going back to Vertigo won't mean shit without a good writer.What can't he do at Vertigo that he can't do in the DCU again?

And I think Young Animal is part of the DCU.

Maybe a move to Vertigo would change sales expectations and keep the writer/artist from feeling pressure to try to reach a larger audience?

Quirky DCU books that don't sell don't tend to get much chance to stick around, which must influence the way people approach the books.

Maybe a move to Vertigo would change sales expectations and keep the writer/artist from feeling pressure to try to reach a larger audience?

Quirky DCU books that don't sell don't tend to get much chance to stick around, which must influence the way people approach the books.

Was just about to say this. It also probably gives the writers less freedoms with the story because they have to reach for those expectations.

An overall re-launch and reworking of Vertigo could probably work. I've liked their recent attempt at mini series, but none of the stories have really seemed interesting at all.

Whats Young Animal about?

c07c28b2f57bc12ec07d947c8877bfe7.gif

Young Animal is the new brand that DC is pushing featuring some fringe titles like Doom Patrol, Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye, and Mother Panic. Think of it as you would Vertigo. Which is an adult-oriented branch of DC. This is basically the same thing. Just weirder.

frye

Ennis is pretty cynical about Vertigo -- certainly the imprint from 2000 on at least-- so I doubt he really cares that much about Hellblazer returning to Vertigo. Judging from the dialogue though, it looks like he's read a few of the DC Constantine comics which is extremely amusing to me

Top Bottom