• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

So with Vertigo pretty much sorted out, what issues should one grab in the Green Arrow sale? Can't buy that many...

(If I don't respond to your suggestions it's because I fell asleep and will respon tomorrow)

dan2026

Damn just read Superman #7.
This is good series, really good.

I feel like I haven't read a good Superman comic in years.
It feels so comfortable. Like all is right with the world.

kmfdmpig

Anything and everything by Mike Grell

This, and if that's too many then The Longbow Hunters is well worth it.

If you want more than Year One by Diggle and Jock is fairly good. Lemire and Sorrentino's run from the Nu52 series is good (although don't get the issues before or after).

TheFlow

Banned
thanks to Messi for the hookup! I now own on the marvel website:

Black Panther (2016-)#1

Civil War II (2016-)#1 (of 8)

Deadpool & Cable: Split Second Infinite Comic#1

The Mighty Thor (2015-)#8

Uncanny Avengers (2015-)#13

Uncanny Inhumans (2015-)#11

so I guess I will read the civil war 2 after all :/

Boogiepop

Okay, so with Fables... is the last issue only available as a trade, and is that trade just of the last issue? Also, are any of the "spinoffs" worthwhile? Feel like now's as good a time as any to plunge in thanks to the Comixology Vertigo sale.

Also, any recommendations for any of the Vertigo series that aren't "big name" titles?

VanWinkle

Reading Green Arrow by Kevin Smith. It's pretty cool so far! I love how dense the dialog is.

GGWlQQx.jpg

frye

oh yeah if you're interested you guys can get pretty close to a complete Milligan/Fegredo digital collection with the Vertigo sale between Enigma, Girl, Weird War Tales #4, and Weird Western Tales #4

missing the Face one-shot (very good) from Vertigo and like 3 misc. Marvel issues (pretty good) but that's a Good Ass Deal

Okay, so with Fables... is the last issue only available as a trade, and is that trade just of the last issue? Also, are any of the "spinoffs" worthwhile? Feel like now's as good a time as any to plunge in thanks to the Comixology Vertigo sale.

Also, any recommendations for any of the Vertigo series that aren't "big name" titles?

The unwritten is great, doesn't get a lot of mentions anymore/ever.

arkon

Alright, so where the hell is The Spectre Vol. 3 (Ostrander/Mandrake)? I check periodically to see whether it's out but it's been SO damn long since 2 that i'm thinkin it got cancelled? Talking about that re-release obviously

:(

I believe so. Certainly haven't seen it mentioned in any of the DC trade solicits for the last couple of years. Same with the Martian Manhunter trades unfortunately. Who knows with the DC trades department though. There may still be hope. I recall Hitman having a long absence before DC decided to reprint the trades and actually finish off the collections the second time round. I'm still holding out for the rest of Starman in paperback as well.

TheFlow

Banned

I actually just answered this question last week.

I read the ending of fable as one big trade, which makes sense because it is literally a collection of epilogues.

pick up fairest. Cinderalla you can honestly skip, jack is an interesting read. but if you don't like him, you won't like him now.

American vampire is a must read from vertigo along with sandman theatre.

Boogiepop

The unwritten is great, doesn't get a lot of mentions anymore/ever.

I actually just answered this question last week.

I read the ending of fable as one big trade, which makes sense because it is literally a collection of epilogues.

pick up fairest. Cinderalla you can honestly skip, jack is an interesting read. but if you don't like him, you won't like him now.

American vampire is a must read from vertigo along with sandman theatre.

Awesome, thanks guys!

Ponn

Banned
Also pls bring back gothic gear Emma.

Why is she wearing a Punisher shirt? Frost is no jobber shirt wearing Hot Topic shopper.

IST has ASM omnibus vol. 2 for 50% off. Going to pick that up with the Apocalypse Wars HC also for 50% this week. I'm prepared for disappointment with the Apoc book but I can't help myself when it comes to Apocalypse.

Is Hillbilly #3 really coming out this Wednesday or is it all another lie?

Edit: I see Backstagers #2 listed as well, did physical copies not hit last week? I know I already have that.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Is Hillbilly #3 really coming out this Wednesday or is it all another lie?

Edit: I see Backstagers #2 listed as well, did physical copies not hit last week? I know I already have that.

Rian or James tweeted that there was some kind of printing or shipping issue with the physical version, so that was delayed a week while the digital version wasn't.

Just another win for the digital crowd.

Shaping up to be quite a week for me! I love having a bunch of new books to try. So many books I'm excited for.

Hillbilly 3 (hopefully...)

Cryptocracy 4

Batman Beyond Rebirth
Deathstroke 3
Detective Comics 941
Frostbite 1
Teen Titans Rebirth
Wonder Woman 7

Sentient 1

Deadly Class 22
Lake of Fire 2
Saga 38
Surgeon X 1

The Castoffs 1

Captain America: Sam Wilson 13
Captain America: Steve Rogers 5
Captain Marvel 9
Civil War II: Kingpin 3
Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14
Ms. Marvel 11
New Avengers 16
Nighthawk 5
Nova 11
Spider-Man & Deadpool 9
Spider-Woman 11
Star Wars 23
Ultimates 11
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 12

I liked it on the whole, but that fucking Fables crossover killed all of that book's momentum and it never quite recovered.

Haha you know, I totally forgot about that, think I blanked that part out. I really like the idea of the book though and the exploration of our relationship as people and as a society to writing. And somehow they fit a fables crossover in. I suppose the nature of the book made it too tempting. I really liked the Tommy Taylor HC they put out about half/two thirds through.

I never read it but I always wanted do read the book g willow Wilson was putting out at Vertigo at the time, Air. Just got put off by the cancellation.

TheFlow

Banned
Shaping up to be quite a week for me! I love having a bunch of new books to try. So many books I'm excited for.

Cryptocracy 4

Batman Beyond Rebirth
Deathstroke 3
Detective Comics 941
Frostbite 1
Teen Titans Rebirth
Wonder Woman 7

Sentient 1

Deadly Class 22
Lake of Fire 2
Saga 38
Surgeon X 1

The Castoffs 1

Captain Marvel 9
Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14
Ms. Marvel 11
New Avengers 16
Nighthawk 5
Nova 11
Spider-Man & Deadpool 9
Spider-Woman 11
Star Wars 23
Ultimates 11
Not bad not bad at all.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Cryptocracy 4

Batman Beyond Rebirth
Deathstroke 3
Detective Comics 941
Frostbite 1
Teen Titans Rebirth
Wonder Woman 7

Sentient 1

Deadly Class 22
Lake of Fire 2
Saga 38
Surgeon X 1

The Castoffs 1

Captain Marvel 9
Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14
Ms. Marvel 11
New Avengers 16
Nighthawk 5
Nova 11
Spider-Man & Deadpool 9
Spider-Woman 11
Star Wars 23
Ultimates 11

Good gravy man! Where do you find the time? Or do you?

I read a bunch of COMICS

Amazing Spider-Man 18 I think I already complained about these prelude books to big events but I'm going to complain anyway. It's such lazy storytelling. Single issues should have some value in and of themselves; they should stand on their own as compelling stories, or at least compelling pieces of a larger story. This issue fails hard at that, and what's worse I don't think the larger story benefits at all from this information. We'll see how things pan out but to me the only relevant development here is
the surprise attack and destruction of the Living Brain
, and wouldn't that have been cooler as a twist that happens during another story, even during the Clone Conspiracy itself? The whole story of
Doc Ock cheating death
plays out in a way most readers probably assumed that it did...we didn't need to see it, and some elements, particularly
Doc Ock transferring his brain around like an .mp3 file
would have been better left to our imaginations.

Aquaman 4-7 I'm glad I gave this another shot! The art is still wonky and super inconsistent (Superman in particular looks awful), but while that is going to make for a crappy collection, it doesn't really impact me that much as a singles reader. I dig the way the plot unfolds here, with a couple of exceptions: I really hate when
Superman is portrayed this way outside of Elseworld stories
, it's so one dimensional. Like he's there to serve a very specific purpose and all characterization flies out the window, every time. Second,
I'm not invested in the Black Manta/N.E.M.O. developments
all that much yet, but there is potential there. The mystery of
who framed Atlantis
is solid and engaging. I'm back on board for now.

The Astonishing Ant-Man 12 Eh. Ya know,
nuBeetle is very much Nick Spencer's character, so if he wants to assassinate her by having her exploit inside information to lock up a guy she knows is decent who is trying to keep his daughter out of jail, because he didn't call her while this crisis was playing out, that's his business.
But, it's still dumb. I don't buy it. But it's nice to see
Shulky, so nice in fact I want to re-read FF now.

The Backstagers 2 Here is a perfect example of a comic that doesn't need a logical premise to be fun and engaging. Take a second to think about the premise of this book: it makes no sense. But who cares? The characters are so cute and fun, the budding relationship between
Jory and Hunter
is really sweet (though I don't think I need
pink background/anime face every time one of these two characters is happy,
pressing the button a little too hard there). And is
that a Gamecube they're playing
yo, way to win me over with a cameo. Even if you did say
1987 was ancient times.
-_-

Batman 6-7 Whelp. I'm out after the crossover. I have ample Batman in my diet now between All-Star and Detective, no need for Tom King's Batman which I have enjoyed for maybe a grand total of 10 pages over the course of seven issues

Good gravy man! Where do you find the time? Or do you?

I'm a bit behind at the moment, had to take a couple of weeks off. But I'll devour everything on my plate within the next 2-3 weeks, I reckon. I read a lot of comics.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Why does it matter? She's doing exactly the same stuff over at Aftershock with two books.

Because Image offers digital back ups and Aftershock does not.

It's also the reason I wish Black Hammer, Clean Room, Unfollow, and Sherif of Bagdad were all Imsge titles.

Top Bottom