• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lol at Karnak being on issue #4. Fuck off Ellis. Issue #2 had lkke 10 pages of nothing but fight scenes with no dialogue too!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think the guy tried to fight through it, but was eventually replaced. The issue you just read was done by both the original guy and a fill-in.

Well I mean if #2 was 6 months ago judging by MU time, whats the excuse for there only being 2 more since then?

Ellis is just slow man!

Rhaknar

Much like Karnak

giphy.gif

Finished Uncannny Avengers up until Vol. 4. Think I'm going to skip Vol. 5 since the reception to Axis has been universally negative.

Some thoughts:
The first volume was decent to good. It's primary issues (and these go into volume 2) is how much of a voice Remender gave Wanda and Havok and their view on the whole Mutant debate. It was really only Rogue fighting back and her arguments always were written in a pretty lacking way. My initial thoughts were to see how the rest of the volumes play out and see if Remender gave a fairer treatment to the issues at hand but he never really did. So the first volume actually ended up feeling a lot more unnecessary in the long run due to just a lot of missed opportunities with the initial premise of the book. I thought it was going to actually try and be a "unity" avengers team but it was mostly, "fuck you mutants" but in nicer terms.

Volume 2 was a big improvement, especially since it setup a lot of the stuff that happens in volume 3.

Volume 3 makes reading the entire thing so fucking worth it. The art is great. Shit gets real. Thor is a badass. It's all so damn good. I had a huge grin on my face the entire time.

Volume 4 was a step down, still good. Art holds it from truly shining.

--

I also started Birthright.

Just finished volume 2. Holy shit. I love this book. I couldn't put it down.

My backlog of comics is just piling up so bad but I can't seem to have time to read, yet I'm still buying them so I won't lose continuity with the hope of one day crawl back into this world but it's getting harder and harder :(

Might consider going full TPB after years of collecting single issues.

Just came here to express my sorrow. Sorry, ComicGaf

Rhaknar

If I was still buying comics, there is zero chance I would buy singles. When you guys post those pictures of shelves full of neatly lined up TPBs and I think of my stupid boxes and folders full of singles it makes me angry.

My backlog of comics is just piling up so bad but I can't seem to have time to read, yet I'm still buying them so I won't lose continuity with the hope of one day crawl back into this world but it's getting harder and harder :(

Have you pared your pull list down to the essentials? I am pulling a ridiculous number of books right now because I have the time to read them at the moment but I know it's not sustainable. I could probably drop a third of the list without batting an eye if I needed to.

Green Arrow #5
Still going strong, though I do feel it has some slight retreading of Lemire's run. Still fantastic, though that ending seemed a bit ridiculous.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1
I want to like every single thing about this book, but damn is the art making it hard. Especially the action sequences. Both super cool and incomprehensible at the same time.

From last thread:
I'm am extremely conflicted on the writing of this week's Nova from a continuity standpoint, but it seems like the book is full steam ahead in bringing Rider back and that makes for an interesting read.
What happened? AFAIK you're the only one in this thread to read it. Did they give an old Nova Corps person the black helmet variant or something?

Sandfox

From last thread:What happened? AFAIK you're the only one in this thread to read it. Did they give an old Nova Corps person the black helmet variant or something?
The story is about Sam trying to find the Worldmind, but Sean Ryan clearly doesn't understand it and says that it's in Rider's helmet and has Sam searching for it in the location he died. The problem here is that Sam gave the helmet to Rich's family a while back, AND the fact that it isn't in his helmet. Ryan also writes it as if Sam doesn't know anything about Rich to the point where he doesn't even know the guy's last name, which completely goes against Duggan's run. On the other hand there are cameos and the ending of this story sets up a cool last issue of this current ongoing.

Sean Ryan is a weird writer because he can write something amazing and then the next issue will be garbage in a pattern. From what I've heard this happened in his Suicide Squad run as well.

New thread time!

What time is it:

It's almost that time.

Goddamn, I really like that Lemire piece, is that just a random thing he did? Remember when Lemire & Travel Foreman pitched a Doom Patrol book after Animal Man. I think DC were already holding out for Way at the time. click Some crazy pitch art there.

Yes, small typo. Thanks for letting me know.

I also wanted to let you all know this is my last OT. I'm taking a break from here.

gvHlJfN.gif

Great thread too man, lots of exciting stuff. Dark Horse and Image are set to have great months. Haha the questionnaires and the fantasy football from last month made it in too, I love it.

One Of Us. Can't wait to see your bookshelves.

If I was still buying comics, there is zero chance I would buy singles. When you guys post those pictures of shelves full of neatly lined up TPBs and I think of my stupid boxes and folders full of singles it makes me angry.

haha oh shit! We're off to a good start this month

Biggest cliffhanger from last month?

i haven't seen Civil War yet.....but BvS and GotG were of equal quality.

yea but in what way??

The story is about Sam trying to find the Worldmind, but Sean Ryan clearly doesn't understand it and says that it's in Rider's helmet and has Sam searching for it in the location he died. The problem here is that Sam gave the helmet to Rich's family a while back, AND the fact that it isn't in his helmet. Ryan also writes it as if Sam doesn't know anything about Rich to the point where he doesn't even know the guy's last name, which completely goes against Duggan's run. On the other hand there are cameos and the ending of this story sets up a cool last issue of this current ongoing.

Sean Ryan is a weird writer because he can write something amazing and then the next issue will be garbage in a pattern. From what I've heard this happened in his Suicide Squad run as well.
Now I'm really hoping Marvel gets a new creative team for the new book.

Btw, we need the wall of shame to be posted.

Edit: CMX updated with a new 'Tec #940 cover:
Tim is missing but he isn't dead on the ground like people thought.

I've officially fallen in love with way too much Image stuff. Gonna have to really cull my weekly pulls from Marvel and DC.

Btw, we need the wall of shame to be posted.

Do you not know how to look for yourself, or something? Why do you ask the thread to post the "wall of shame" for you? If you want to look, look. If you want to post, post.

edit: And you really should spoiler all of that Detective Comics stuff, geez.

Do you not know how to look for yourself, or something? Why do you ask the thread to post the "wall of shame" for you? If you want to look, look. If you want to post, post.

edit: And you really should spoiler all of that Detective Comics stuff, geez.
Mobile. Can't find the list.

Hmm. Anyone got a good list they use ,or a site with decent enough search categories, of just the upcoming marvel OHCs? I honestly have no idea what books do and don't get them

I've officially fallen in love with way too much Image stuff. Gonna have to really cull my weekly pulls from Marvel and DC.

How many image books are you following regularly? This is why I always end up totally clearing my marvel and dc books away bar a few really good selects, Need to put the independent stuff/Mignola books first.

I'm in a bit of a decent lull, I think I'm only follow about 15 regular image comics via trade at the mo, but it's going to blow up, and I'm probably finally going to have to do some harsh cuts over the next year. I have 2 or 3 books I'm just kind of following at this point because I'm already invested, but I hate dropping independent stuff.

I got all these down for when they release: Black Cloud - Latour, Isola - Fletcher/Kerschl, kill or be Killed - Bru, Motor Crush - Fletcher, stewart, Tarr, Black Hammer - Lemire, Royal City - Lemire, Dept. h - Kindt, The Old Guard - Rucka, Frontier - Hickman,
The Black Monday Murders - Hickman. And that's just what I know I'll be adding to my list haha

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I was starting to have the same problem this time last year. With every big sale on CMX my Image pull list continued to grow. It was an easy fix though. I just dropped all my DC titles a decided to pass on ANAD Marvel completely.

Hmm. Anyone got a good list they use ,or a site with decent enough search categories, of just the upcoming marvel OHCs? I honestly have no idea what books do and don't get them

How many image books are you following regularly? This is why I always end up totally clearing my marvel and dc books away bar a few really good selects, Need to put the independent stuff/Mignola books first.

I'm in a bit of a decent lull, I think I'm only follow about 15 regular image comics via trade at the mo, but it's going to blow up, and I'm probably finally going to have to do some harsh cuts over the next year. I have 2 or 3 books I'm just kind of following at this point because I'm already invested, but I hate dropping independent stuff.

I got all these down for when they release: Black Cloud - Latour, Isola - Fletcher/Kerschl, kill or be Killed - Bru, Motor Crush - Fletcher, stewart, Tarr, Black Hammer - Lemire, Royal City - Lemire, Dept. h - Kindt, The Old Guard - Rucka, Frontier - Hickman,
The Black Monday Murders - Hickman. And that's just what I know I'll be adding to my list haha

About 7-9 I think so far. It's just the Marvel stuff I really gotta cut down on, I don't pull much from DC anyways.

I was starting to have the same problem this time last year. With every big sale on CMX my Image pull list continued to grow. It was an easy fix though. I just dropped all my DC titles a decided to pass on ANAD Marvel completely.

This might be me soon enough as well. I'll probably stick to the super good Marvel/DC stuff (Omega Men/Vision etc).

Detective Comics #939
b0ZzW.gif

Nightwing #3
Man is anyone else really bothered by the way Dick is written here? I dunno. Having read Dixon's run as it's being released has soured my on any portrayal that doesn't feel at least somewhere in line with that. This feels wrong. Specifically,
the line about Batman having taught Dick to go against his instincts. That pisses me off because one of Dick's best traits is to balance whether or not to go with his instincts. His ability to think on his feet. This just feels wrong. What hurts it even more is that, I felt like someone should have pointed put that the screen was OPENLY BROADCASTING IN THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENED that Dick has finally shattered all ties. No one mentioned it. Dick freaking out is understandable, but no one pointing out that the Parliament is now completely sold on Dick is baffling.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I feel like I should share that.

Titans #2
FINALLY! We get in some shit! I can't get over Roy's goofy ass goggles though. Is Booth responsible for that? That has to be a prank on someone.

Deathstroke Rebirth #1
I would describe this much like I did Supergirl: weird. Absolute scumbaggery mixed with...anti-heroism? This is weird. Yet also much like Supergirl, I'll give it another shot.

arkon

So is the East of West Year Two hardcover coming soon now that it just wrapped up?

Definitely try Ivar Timewalker. Really really damn good.

The year one hardcover was out 10 months after the last issue that was collected in it, #15, released. I imagine similar timescales with the next one so probably Spring 2017 at the earliest.

About 7-9 I think so far. It's just the Marvel stuff I really gotta cut down on, I don't pull much from DC anyways.

This might be me soon enough as well. I'll probably stick to the super good Marvel/DC stuff (Omega Men/Vision etc).

Hey if you went pure trade, you'd get the same amount of books I'm reading for your 7-8 ;)

Hey if you went pure trade, you'd get the same amount of books I'm reading for your 7-8 ;)

I'm honestly considering moving to trades only. Once Vision finishes and a couple of other series that I'm interested in as well, I'll probably make the complete switch.

One of the reasons for me going with singles was current Marvel (or DC) events and so on. But Marvel is putting out such a terrible event that I should really just be trade waiting.

I'm honestly considering moving to trades only. Once Vision finishes and a couple of other series that I'm interested in as well, I'll probably make the complete switch.

One of the reasons for me going with singles was current Marvel (or DC) events and so on. But Marvel is putting out such a terrible event that I should really just be trade waiting.

Haha true. You'll never be up to date, but if it's any consolation, they do tend to push their event hardcovers out much quicker than other stuff, they definitely prioritise getting the big yearly thing on shelves quickly.

People really aren't hot on civil war 2 huh?

Found a nice little list of marvel OHC dates that a guy on goodreads keeps updated. Has omnibus there too but he's kept it nice and simple (thanks guy): click

BOOM! stays winning

Weavers #4
s3ou1t.gif

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Annual #1
Pretty adorable all around. I loved all the stories, although it was shaky in a couple parts. Overall it was solid, though.

Sandfox

I said this before, but I can't get over this week's Guardians of the Galaxy. I think Bendis and/or the artist snapped. I really want to know whose idea it was to
lock Thanos up naked like that.

There's a preview for Great Lake Avengers out for anyone that cares.

Mindwipe

Birthright is a great book right now. Has someone snapped up the TV rights yet?

Do any books not have them snapped up now?

This week I read the first volume of Ghost Fleet and Lady Killer. Yes, that's what my backlog is like. Thanks to Messi and Launchpad for recommending them, they were both good, I'll probably pick them up again sometime but the backlog goes on.

Now started on reading Buffy Season 8 again. It's really solid for a show comic.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Another Birthright fan YAY!
Williamson pumps some good stuff. Check out Nailbitter if you haven't yet. Wonder how's his Flash.

Also, the ending to the last ish of Howard the Duck got me good. Never exepected Chip Zdarsky to go full
Morrison
on us in this series.

EDIT : Can't fucking wait for Doom Patrol.

Tizoc

One of these days ill be the one making the comics ot
On that day
Abandon all hope
Ye who enter

Top Bottom