• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Mindwipe

Definitely want to check this out at some point, the art looked fantastic in previews. Any thoughts to share about it? I have no idea what to expect of the writers. Book gives me the americans vibes a bit.

The art is consistently beautiful. Book moves at a good clip. Not sure the twist on the slightly overdone concept (assassin who finds that she works for shock! bad people) of having her be a housewife is quite enough yet, but it's nicely executed.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I couldn't follow the story in Deathstroke #1 at all.

No idea if it's because I'm tired or what, but it felt so disjointed.

Hagi

Extraordinary X-men #12

tumblr_o2582iAYoZ1qav83lo1_540.gif

It's nice to be enjoying an X-men book again. I was groaning because I thought Apocalypse Wars would be a crossover but I'm glad it's self contained to each of the books.

The art is consistently beautiful. Book moves at a good clip. Not sure the twist on the slightly overdone concept (assassin who finds that she works for shock! bad people) of having her be a housewife is quite enough yet, but it's nicely executed.

Haha nice! Jones is really something the stuff she did on helheim looked really good too.

Extraordinary X-men #12

It's nice to be enjoying an X-men book again. I was groaning because I thought Apocalypse Wars would be a crossover but I'm glad it's self contained to each of the books.

Cool so if you only have an interest in extraordinary there's no need to grab the other series or anything like that?

I read that Generation Zero book. I thought it was ok? Maybe a weird way to introduce the characters? I'll stick around for a bit, the mystery sounds cool.

Oh yeah, to continue talking about never-talked-about-books, Faith #2 was pretty good too. Though not as good as #1.

I'm glad this is a pretty small week so I can catch up on stuff.

Owzers

If I promise to read a comic book can we make sure not to spoil civil war until after the blu Ray releases in the best country in the universe on sept 13th?

Owzers

you didn't watch it in theatres? weren't you the guy who saw it early? or was that someone else
I never go to theaters, yet spoilers bug me as much as paint. The one time I did go in the last several years was for Force Awakens and that got spoiled the day before I went :l

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
how did a thread full of comic nerds skip out on one of the best comic movies? bvs really fatigued ppl huh

Spider-Man #7 was great, love that some of the Ult characters are showing up in his life again

Hagi

Haha nice! Jones is really something the stuff she did on helheim looked really good too.

Cool so if you only have an interest in extraordinary there's no need to grab the other series or anything like that?

Yeah seems like it's just self contained stories featuring some version of Apocalypse. This may tie into something bigger at some point but for now I think issue 12 was the end of Apocalypse Wars. Now we are moving onto some awesome Limbo shenanigans.

how did a thread full of comic nerds skip out on one of the best comic movies? bvs really fatigued ppl huh

I don't think it was just BvS, I think comic films in general are just hitting that point now.

General rule of thumb I enjoy all these movies. I find a few of the marvel ones a little bland at times (ant man) but winter soldier, guardians, bvs, really fun stuff for what they are. They'll never be the departed but really enjoyable experiences. We never go to see them at the theatre though, I just have no love for the cinema experience, and accessibility is super poor at most cinemas, you have to sit right up the front etc, and with a kiddo around anyway, we just like waiting on the bluray release and having a night of it, get some takeout etc. Avoiding spoilers is near impossible haha

Yeah seems like it's just self contained stories featuring some version of Apocalypse. This may tie into something bigger at some point but for now I think issue 12 was the end of Apocalypse Wars. Now we are moving onto some awesome Limbo shenanigans.

Cool man, I was looking at the trade and they only do extraordinary in paperback, the apocalypse war trade is a hc though and that shit drives me crazy haha

TheFlow

Banned
East by West #29

Easily one of the best books I have read of August.The fight scenes, dialog, and the last couple of pages hnnng.

Year 2 ends on a high note.

5/5 I will never drop this

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ms Marvel continues to be the finest, most refined modern cape story out there. She is truly a once-in-a-generation hero, like Spider-Man before her.

Sandfox

Negasonic Teenage Warhead's comic powerset is cool in Mercs for Money. I'm excited to see what happens when
Domino takes over the team
in October.

I ordered enjoy his creator owned work.

Birthright is the shit.

One of the few fairly prolific guys these days that I'm still totally ignorant too man, haven't read anything by him. Like the look of nail biter but just has never made it to my actual basket yet.

Hagi

Cool man, I was looking at the trade and they only do extraordinary in paperback, the apocalypse war trade is a hc though and that shit drives me crazy haha

Im not that interested in the uncanny and ANAD side of Apocalypse Wars so that's an easy pass. I'll just buy the volume 2 of extraordinary which collects those issues.

Still need to read Birthright, had the first volume for months.

Messi

One of the few fairly prolific guys these days that I'm still totally ignorant too man, haven't read anything by him. Like the look of nail biter but just has never made it to my actual basket yet.

Please buy volume one of Birthright. I couldn't put it down. Read 4 volumes in 2 days.

You Joshua Williamson fans are going to be pleased with that justice league vs suicide squad series then eh? Six issue series between December and January, fabok on art. Tie ins from both their main series too

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/09/01/justice-league-suicide-squad-will-collide-in-comics-miniseries-exclusive-art-reveal/

BN-PQ444_JLvSS_JV_20160831142024.jpg

Fabok on art is more notable for me. His back parts of the Suicide Squad issues have been great.

Not sure if this is something I exactly want with JL being so bad and Williamson's Flash being pretty boring. But the concept of Batman V Waller and Fabok art has me interested.

Sounds good, but isn't the league hands down more powerful than the Squad.

Reading the article it seems like the whole versus aspect is a little overplayed. Seems more like a Batman V Waller in concept and their probably going to have some kind of situation to deal with that justifies Suicide Squads existence.

Listen to this man:

Please buy volume one of Birthright. I couldn't put it down. Read 4 volumes in 2 days.

I read the first issue and bought the 3 volumes I could on the spot.

It's amazing. Like, really damn good.

Penguin

You Joshua Williamson fans are going to be pleased with that justice league vs suicide squad series then eh? Six issue series between December and January, fabok on art. Tie ins from both their main series too

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/09/01/justice-league-suicide-squad-will-collide-in-comics-miniseries-exclusive-art-reveal/

BN-PQ444_JLvSS_JV_20160831142024.jpg

I mean I'm in... not even close to a fair fight, but I'm in.

Also based off of how announcing JLA, I'm gonna imagine like a X-Force book. Members of the Squad led by Batman to do covert missions for the League.

Listen to this man:

I read the first issue and bought the 3 volumes I could on the spot.

It's amazing. Like, really damn good.

Just read a couple of interviews there, Y'know, I really didn't know what this book was even about, but sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of the dark tower, the talisman, a lot of King's books have children getting dragged into darker worlds and dealing with adult themes, and parents being terrified of losing their children and how far they are willing to keep them safe and deal with their own hang-ups.etc. This looks like it might be my bag. September is a big catch-up month for me, so I'll see if I can fit it in. I had no idea it had made it up to so many issues either.

I mean I'm in... not even close to a fair fight, but I'm in.

Also based off of how announcing JLA, I'm gonna imagine like a X-Force book. Members of the Squad led by Batman to do covert missions for the League.
Remember how Williams said one of three really OP villains might end up on the Squad(can only remember Zod)? Guessing that one will help.

Harley will totally be on the JLA.

Tynion's twitter: Trust me.

Spider-Man #7 was great, love that some of the Ult characters are showing up in his life again

Yeah Miles's Spider-man Book and mush better then Peter's at the moment. And I
m so glad they brought over baby Bombshell over from the Ultimate Universe. She was always interesting.

Yeah it's just a label. It's just saying, "hey this book is doing an Apoc arc now." Nothing more.
Negasonic Teenage Warhead's comic powerset is cool in Mercs for Money. I'm excited to see what happens when
Domino takes over the team
in October.
Is it still just her weird precog/illusion thing?

Messi

Fabok is top level for awesome DC artists. Can't wait to see more of his Harley. Hopefully Harley vs Wonder Woman.

Top Bottom