• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Sandfox

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

CsVlJ29W8AEaLkb.jpg
This book is going to be so good...

Malyse

Gwenpool made me cringe today. Not because the writing was bad, but because Gwen was crossing so many lines I really wanted to slap her.

Christopher Hastings has done a really good job deconstructing these type of "self-insert" stories.
Gwen’s “team-up” with Miles Morales ends…badly! Man, oh, man, she is not a good person! It gets dark! We promise this is not a Civil War II tie-in!

Such an accurate solicitation. This is still my fave comic right now.

TheFlow

Banned
so apparently the group I am going to london with is thinking about visiting Dublin,Ireland.

going to be surrounded by thousands of messi

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Animosity #2 - Too many time jumps in this one. Hopefully the next issue stablizes things a bit.

I feel like
the time jumps are better for the long run. More time means that there's more that can be explored with how the world is going to deal with the animal's gaining consciousness, instead of the instant WTF reaction.

I didn't really like the first issue much because the changes in the animals were so inconsistent.

How do you mean? Like how Sandor being on team human vs other's just straight up attacking things?

I'll be the contrarian here. Doom Patrol is weird as shit, with very nice art and a batshit insane "story" that is incoherent and challenging for...what exactly? To appeal to new readers of a dying industry? Maybe offer newbies a bone here?

This feels like the time Clap Your Hands Say Yeah kicked off their debut album with the most obnoxious, least commercially appealing opening track in existence. A nice middle finger to turn off the audience that didn't stick around for the second track.

I'll be the contrarian here. Doom Patrol is weird as shit, with very nice art and a batshit insane "story" that is incoherent and challenging for...what exactly? To appeal to new readers of a dying industry? Maybe offer newbies a bone here?

This feels like the time Clap Your Hands Say Yeah kicked off their debut album with the most obnoxious, least commercially appealing opening track in existence. A nice middle finger to turn off the audience that didn't stick around for the second track.

I will admit, it's a little random with some of the things that happened. The book just shoots the shit and hopes your in for the ride.

Sandfox

I feel like
the time jumps are better for the long run. More time means that there's more that can be explored with how the world is going to deal with the animal's gaining consciousness, instead of the instant WTF reaction.

How do you mean? Like how Sandor being on team human vs other's just straight up attacking things?

Like how some animals would seemingly became humans in terms of morality and how they think, while others simply became sentient. Sandor and the Tiger from the first issue make sense given their backstories.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

This is how I felt about Morrison's Doom Patrol, and why I didn't buy this today.I'll check it out when it's on sale in the future.

Like how some animals would seemingly became humans in terms of morality and how they think, while others simply became sentient. Sandor and the Tiger from the first issue make sense given their backstories.

That's fair.
I feel like the time jump will also help smooth out some of those issues, as well.

The end of Chris Sims' look back at the Electric Blue year. He found it amazing that Superwoman Red happened while he was doing this.
EXPLAIN NOW
So am I the only one still reading Batman Beyond?

Spoilers regarding Tec 940 and most recent BB
I'm wondering if Future Tim disappearing will somehow play into the whole Tim/Oz thing.
I stopped reading it after the first arc. Found Tim super boring and I missed Terry too much. Pick it back up at the Rebirth.
All this talk about Detective Comics, guess I'm going to have to get caught up on it. I stopped for trade-waiting after the third issue.
It's an amazing team book. Strong plotting, how to write an ensemble, good dialogue, and the HYPEST SHIT YOU'VE SEEN THUS FAR.

Haven't read the most recent issue though.
9 months is a long time to wait.
Tell it to all them baby mommas
This book is going to be so good...
If it's not I'll burn down my LCS
I AIN'T THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE SHED.
Hey that's not PsychBat

Messi

This is what I was worried about

so apparently the group I am going to london with is thinking about visiting Dublin,Ireland.

going to be surrounded by thousands of messi

There is only one Messi. I'll meet you and give you the Irish handshake

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I feel like

I'm fine with it as long as it's not an every issue thing. If this issue got them where they need to be cool. But if it continues I'll be out very quickly.

That's what Doom Patrol is though. It's a random stream of conscience. It's not a linear path. Everything doesn't have to be on rails.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with it as long as it's not an every issue thing. If this issue got them where they need to be cool. But if it continues I'll be out very quickly.

I don't think it will be. I feel like from here on out it's going to be The Last of Us but Joel's a dog.

Or Y The Last Man but 355 is a dog.

Or The Road but Aragorn is a dog.

Or that storyline with the Hound and Arya, but the Hound is a dog.

Dog.

Flash started out a bit slow but with today's issue, it just solidifies this Godspeed arc as something pretty cool. I'm not the biggest Flash scholar but Godspeed has turned out to be an incredible foe that has really brought out some character in Barry Allen Flash that I didn't know existed.

I will admit, it's a little random with some of the things that happened. The book just shoots the shit and hopes your in for the ride.

A "little" random in the same sense that World War II was a "little" war and Trump is a "little" racist. I'm actually perfectly okay with random shit happening...hell, I've praised the shit out of God Hates Astronauts repeatedly. But there's internal consistency there and rhyme and reason behind the madness. This lacks even internal consistency and direction.

This is how I felt about Morrison's Doom Patrol, and why I didn't buy this today.I'll check it out when it's on sale in the future.

I'm unfamiliar with Morrison's run on the series, so maybe this works if you have that pre-existing knowledge. But again I'd argue that DC doesn't know WTF it's doing if this is how a book is being pitched to new readers. Like maaaaaaybe three pages in this book sort of makes sense, provided you ignore the dialogue. Half the words are standard dialogue and half are nonsense.

This is what I was worried about

I was, too, based on some of the artwork I saw this past week. Very happy I didn't pick up the Morrison run if it's similar.

That's what Doom Patrol is though. It's a random stream of conscience. It's not a linear path. Everything doesn't have to be on rails.

I can appreciate nonlinear narrative. It's cool to not have the direct causality of events be black and white. It's not cool to take an almost antagonistic, fuck you attitude to your storytelling. It's not about the story needing rails. It's about throwing new readers a bone or two. It doesn't compromise the integrity of your work to make your story comprehensible enough to read.

TheFlow

Banned

I don't think you know about doom patrol

Ross61

Flash started out a bit slow but with today's issue, it just solidifies this Godspeed arc as something pretty cool. I'm not the biggest Flash scholar but Godspeed has turned out to be an incredible foe that has really brought out some character in Barry Allen Flash that I didn't know existed.
That's great to hear, I have to catch up on that title.

Hagi

I didn't really take to Morrisons run on Doom Patrol so I think I'm going to skip Ways book and wait for the rest of the Young Animal line to kick off. I'm looking forward to whatever Mother Panic is.

I don't think you know about doom patrol

Helpful as usual, thanks. My whole point is that the book is practically worthless for a new reader. A new reader who doesn't know the history of the series.

Today's issue confidently approaches storytelling with the mindset that random disjointed thoughts can be illustrated to tell a coherent story. What is the central theme? Who are the protagonists? Who the fuck is the Clue rip-off singing telegram? Why is murder totally okay for a person who measures her success by saving lives for a living?

Helpful as usual, thanks. My whole point is that the book is practically worthless for a new reader. A new reader who doesn't know the history of the series.

Today's issue confidently approaches storytelling with the mindset that random disjointed thoughts can be illustrated to tell a coherent story. What is the central theme? Who are the protagonists? Who the fuck is the Clue rip-off singing telegram? Why is murder totally okay for a person who measures her success by saving lives for a living?
Don't you dare talk shit about my waifu.

TheFlow

Banned

Good you have lots of questions. Welcome to doom patrol. If Way is doing what I think it is all going to become clearer. I was the same way reading the og doom patrol run.

This book along with the shade the changing girl show why these books would never have worked under the regular DC logo.

Don't you dare talk shit about my waifu.

Fair enough. Your waifu is a brilliant EMT who takes pride in saving lives.
If you happen to show up and kill her roommate, she's also perfectly okay to hold a normal conversation with you while covered in his guts and blood. No biggie.

Logic. How does it work?

TheFlow

Banned
The emt has had weird stuff like that happening to her for a while.
she said something about her prom date being turned into a creature or puddle. Can't remember the exact wording

The emt chick(Claire I think) has had some run ins with the supernatural before #1.

I have a couple theories but Her relation to doom patrol and maybe Caulder to be exact but need to wait about 2 issues before I can jump to conclusions

ElNarez

Banned
The book explicitely says
that Casey has gone through -or, at the very least, says she's gone through- a whole mess of weird shit.
Beats me why people don't read the books anymore. Beats me why people suck. Sure as hell ain't my scene.

how was the new Deus Ex game? I still haven't started it on ps4.
If you liked Human Revolution you'll enjoy the sequel. I enjoyed doing all the sidequests the most. To the point I started wondering if you could make a whole game with meaningful sidequests. Like some crime/detective game. However the ending
feels more like the end of chapter 1 and not a meaningful conclusion

A "little" random in the same sense that World War II was a "little" war and Trump is a "little" racist. I'm actually perfectly okay with random shit happening...hell, I've praised the shit out of God Hates Astronauts repeatedly. But there's internal consistency there and rhyme and reason behind the madness. This lacks even internal consistency and direction.

I'm unfamiliar with Morrison's run on the series, so maybe this works if you have that pre-existing knowledge. But again I'd argue that DC doesn't know WTF it's doing if this is how a book is being pitched to new readers. Like maaaaaaybe three pages in this book sort of makes sense, provided you ignore the dialogue. Half the words are standard dialogue and half are nonsense.

I was, too, based on some of the artwork I saw this past week. Very happy I didn't pick up the Morrison run if it's similar.

I can appreciate nonlinear narrative. It's cool to not have the direct causality of events be black and white. It's not cool to take an almost antagonistic, fuck you attitude to your storytelling. It's not about the story needing rails. It's about throwing new readers a bone or two. It doesn't compromise the integrity of your work to make your story comprehensible enough to read.

If he does it right, like Morrison did, you don't get your haul of bones til the end of the story. That's the reward for connecting the dots. If you were the least bit intrigued by things, you would have Googled Niles Caulder instead of getting on here and playing Devils Advocate to the mostly positive reactions to the first issue. I get the book is not for everybody, but that's what I love. I find the concept highly engaging and intelligent. I embrace the weird.

Top Bottom