• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Malyse

They have a great cartoon style. I also wonder how many of them there are, exactly.
Two IIRC. I think they say that on their tumblr.

EDIT: Two.

Born in Hokkaido,they currently reside in Saitama City JPN.
Gurihiru is the name of an artist duo.
Pecils and inks art by Sasaki, and coloring by Kawano.
They basically work as comic artists for Amerian comic books.

TheFlow

Banned
Doom Patrol was great. It had a little bit of that Morrison feel, but not too much. It was just the right amount of Morrison.

pretty much. I pray way doesn't pull a Morrison do complex shit just for the hell of it instead of it actually flowing naturally with the story

pretty much. I pray way doesn't pull a Morrison do complex shit just for the hell of it instead of it actually flowing naturally with the story

I think he'll probably grow into being able to do that type of thing organically. Morrison had a way that hit you over the head with the weird stuff.

Mafro

Is this volume of Doom Patrol a good starting point for someone that hasn't read it before and doesn't read any other DC books?

VanWinkle

All this talk about Detective Comics, guess I'm going to have to get caught up on it. I stopped for trade-waiting after the third issue.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Detective Comics 940 was fucking phenomenal. Pointless reading anything else today, that won't be beat for me.

Sandfox

Stegman said that the newest issue of Uncanny Avengers is his best work to date and it definitely looks better than what he put out earlier in the book. I'm also interested to see where book goes after it resolves the
Red Skull stuff
assuming that just isn't the end of the book or something lol.

Afrodium

Banned
Is this volume of Doom Patrol a good starting point for someone that hasn't read it before and doesn't read any other DC books?

I've never read Doom Patrol and can confirm that you can easily follow issue #1 with no prior knowledge. It's pretty good too.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Stegman said that the newest issue of Uncanny Avengers is his best work to date and it definitely looks better than what he put out earlier in the book. I'm also interested to see where book goes after it resolves the
Red Skull stuff

His pre-UA stuff all looks pretty good to me. I just don't know how he could have thought the soul he started the series with was a good idea.

Sandfox

His pre-UA stuff all looks pretty good to me. I just don't know how he could have thought the soul he started the series with was a good idea.

Yeah, the first issues of Uncanny are really the only art of his that I think is bad. His Spider-Man stuff is especially good, so I'm glad he's moving over to that after this issue.

Messi

Red Skull stuff

CQvl_Ik5_Us_AE1_RDt.jpg

Sandfox

Spider-Man is by far the best Bendis book.

Also, it's nice to see an X-Men issue actually focus on Bobby. Though it is a little on the nose with how
his love interest is an Inhuman named Romeo. Though Hopeless did use it as joke and foreshadowing for the reveal.

I don't get why you are so down on Stegman's art lol

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Doom Patrol: 6/5 Great fucking start to a comic and an imprint. Loved everything about it-- just the right amount of inscrutability, esoterica, Morrison, while carving out its own path. I can't wait to see where this goes...

Doom Patrol was... interesting. I've never read the previous incarnations, nor knew anything about them so I went in with zero expectations. It was certainly odd, and I quite enjoyed the art.

TheFlow

Banned
Doom Patrol was... interesting. I've never read the previous incarnations, nor knew anything about them so I went in with zero expectations. It was certainly odd, and I quite enjoyed the art.

I am quite fond of how a lot of the new DC books have colorful/fun art to them.

Malyse

Spider-Man is by far the best Bendis book.

Also, it's nice to see an X-Men issue actually focus on Bobby. Though it is a little on the nose with how
his love interest is an Inhuman named Romeo. Though Hopeless did use it as joke and foreshadowing for the reveal.
How smooth was he though?

TBH, I'm just really happy Hopeless is still around. Avengers Arena and Undercover was one of my fave arcs of anything (due in no small part to how invested I was in those characters).

Sandfox

How smooth was he though?

TBH, I'm just really happy Hopeless is still around. Avengers Arena and Undercover was one of my fave arcs of anything (due in no small part to how invested I was in those characters).
Bobby was struggling to chat up guys while the other guy was pretty smoove.

Oh. So Gwenpool didn't end well.
Abandon that ship.

Gwenpool made me cringe today. Not because the writing was bad, but because Gwen was crossing so many lines I really wanted to slap her.

Christopher Hastings has done a really good job deconstructing these type of "self-insert" stories.

Top Bottom