• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

tim1138

I did actually see in a few of the *negative* reviews, that the reviewer felt it was a good book for prior fans, but not newcomers. I wonder if people are taking Way's wacky storytelling for allusions to older runs. I suppose if Umbrella Academy was an old resurrected property, you might assume you were missing who Dr. Terminus was, and should have read the storyline about how they trapped him in the hotel, or something to that effect.

I haven't read the new book and this is quite aside from the current debate going on, just a thought in general. If you accept that the book is *new* and trust anything you didn't understand is something that will be explained going forward oppose to being something you're missing or the writer didn't convey form older issues, maybe it reads better, I don't know.

Yeah I wonder what reactions would have been if it was like that Mother Panic book and was a brand new IP set in the DCU and wasn't using a known name. It'll be interesting to see what kind of reaction Shade gets next month, because that does reference what came before. Although to be fair I don't think the comics community as a whole has the same kind of emotional attachment to Milligan's Shade run as it does Morrison's Doom Patrol, which quite frankly is a shame, Shade the Changing Man was great.

Malyse

Spent $49 at the LCS today (it's been a couple weeks) plus just got charged $24 for a indie comics Kickstarter, which brings me up to over $100 for September already... Might need to cut back a bit.

Really need to check out that book, seems like everyone loves it.

You really do. sogood.gif

ElNarez

Banned
It's Way using the characters and world to tell the story he wants to tell. It's not even all that nonlinear, the main story follows Casey (who may or may not be a reliable narrator as she flat out admits she has memory issues) and then there are a handful of interludes to introduce new characters and mysteries, ie
why is this Niles Caulder dude playing keyboards in the woods, who is Danny, why did some dude and his lion get brained by a brick that says I'm sorry
, etc. You don't need to know who any of these people are, just know that they exist.

You don't need prior context, but, having that just illuminates what's there. It's like watching the Marvel movies with some knowledge of the comics. All you'd know from having read the old Doom Patrol comics is that
the brick at the end is definitely Danny, who is a sentient brick after having been a sentient street, and that Niles Caulder is up to some actually totally shady shit (and even that you could glean from the fact his keyboard plays the exact same fly sound as the probably evil army guy, which itself is of course the simplified representation of the fly on the gyro. (it's seriously the same, in the same position and everything.)

@October OT: Is the Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary special issue included in the DC list? Feel like it should be.
cjs0k.jpg

Finished Gotham Academy and loved it. I'm so glad that the new artist did a pretty good job of mimicking Kerschl. The backgrounds look great as usual, also.

Random assortment of reading

Doctor Strange 11

Really liked this issue. Was nice to get a breather and a little status update on Strange before heading right back into another story. I'd gladly take Strange with more small time stories.

The Fix 5

I fucking love this book. I love the small one page stories they get in each issue with the boss. I sometimes forget how many continuing threads are going at one time, but it does a good job of at least hinting at them.

Invincible Iron Man 13

Mehhh, this just felt meandering. The ending cliff hanger was basically the same as last issue and could have been handled this one, but it dragged out.

I'm pretty sure I read more that I was behind on but that's all that stands out to me.

The Kree

Banned
Man if there's one thing that I love, it's that Maria Hill is the most incompetent and dense shitheel on the planet. Thank you Bendis.

I still think Carol's arc in CW2 makes perfect sense

It mostly makes sense in the other books surrounding the event, like her solo, Ultimates, but not in the main series. Everyone else is handling her better. He's too... heavy handed I guess.

Finished Gotham Academy and loved it. I'm so glad that the new artist did a pretty good job of mimicking Kerschl. The backgrounds look great as usual, also.

I was asking about this yesterday actually, about the art, I am interested to know how it is. I doubt we really get Kerschl back on, now that he's working on Isola, so it's good to hear the new artist is a good fit.

Dusknoir

Really glad I stuck with DeathStroke after the rebirth issue.
It's different from the other cape comics I normally read and that's good. This book is not great yet but I feel in a couple more issue the story will kick off. The story right now feels like a good set up. It brings up more of the past and relationships that I find interesting.

The art is really good too.

This book reminds me of when I used to read Tom Clancy Books.

Messi

Went to buy doom patrol today. Picked up the book. What's with the shitty paper quality? This is the brands launch. They couldn't splurge a bit? I considered Babs Tarrs cover also but it felt so flimsy also. Decided I don't need it physically. Will buy digital in a while.

TheFlow

Banned
You don't really need to know who Danny is at this point, but, from context clues, you could pick up on the fact Danny is a brick. Hawaiian shirt guy is looking for Danny and rejecting bricks, the Danny Burgers presentation shows a brick, and the issue ends on a scene with a brick. You can piece it together. It's all in there.
But obviously, if you know, you have an immediate knowledge of what's what.

this is why I had to reread the book. I knew I was missing stuff the first time.

I was asking about this yesterday actually, about the art, I am interested to know how it is. I doubt we really get Kerschl back on, now that he's working on Isola, so it's good to hear the new artist is a good fit.
Style-wise it's very close, but there are some differences. The big one I noticed is that the characters are a bit more "crisp" than the way Kerschl drew them. The colors are more solid, and the lines are black(with the exception of a few scenes). I don't know the terms for it, but often in Gotham Academy the lines for the characters would just be a darker shade of the color they were outlining, rather than black. It made it softer.

It still looks really good. It just sort of reminds me of a cartoon now, with the soft painted backgrounds and the very distinct characters in front of them.

Please don't forget to let us know what you think in 9 months.

When time runs out....everything ends, and trade waiters read doom patrol!

I want to prod at DC since e they said they would be faster with trades but it's still 5 months until issue 6, let's assume it's a 6 issue trade...4 months is still a much long wait than for an image book to hit trade say, but not horrific by some DC examples I think think of.

Style-wise it's very close, but there are some differences....
It still looks really good. It just sort of reminds me a cartoon now, with the soft painted backgrounds and the very distinct characters in front of them.

Aweosme man. The preview did look great but I'm glad you enjoyed the whole thing. Gotham Academy rocks such a different style to any other DC book, I'd hate for it to lose that. It adds to the magic.

Well I finished rereading the two Thor god of thunder OHCs. Still waiting on the Aaron/Dauterman OHC releasing so I can't touch Mighty. That means I'm left with batgirl and gotham academy volumes 2 out of my last big haul. A good evening of reading lies before me!

Messi

When time runs out....everything ends, and trade waiters read doom patrol!

I want to prod at DC since e they said they would be faster with trades but it's still 5 months until issue 6, let's assume it's a 6 issue trade...4 months is still a much long wait than for an image book to hit trade say, but not horrific by some DC examples I think think of.

Aweosme man. The preview did look great but I'm glad you enjoyed the whole thing. Gotham Academy rocks such a different style to any other DC book, I'd hate for it to lose that. It adds to the magic.

Well I finished rereading the two Thor god of thunder OHCs. Still waiting on the Aaron/Dauterman OHC releasing so I can't touch Mighty. That means I'm left with batgirl and gotham academy volumes 2 out of my last big haul. A good evening of reading lies before me!

The first new Thor OHC came out last week no?

The first new Thor OHC came out last week no?

Usually takes a touch longer through bookstores/ not comic shops in the uk, usualky a week or two extra until availability. Amazon and the site I use both have the 20th down. I could probs have hunted it down off a comic store shop front on ebay or something but the place I buy from is consistent enough I don't mind waiting.

There had better be some serious ramifications regarding Eva Bell's time travel, otherwise I'm pretty sure I hate her.
It mostly makes sense in the other books surrounding the event, like her solo, Ultimates, but not in the main series. Everyone else is handling her better. He's too... heavy handed I guess.
I don't see it. Other books have her as either some tertiary force with little involvement, or someone who is just as much a dictator in those as she is in this. I see no difference between how she is in Ultimates compared to the main book. That's just an example. Maybe there's a couple books that do, but for the most part I see her as the same.

Messi

There had better be some serious ramifications regarding Eva Bell's time travel, otherwise I'm pretty sure I hate her.

I don't see it. Other books have her as either some tertiary force with little involvement, or someone who is just as much a dictator in those as she is in this. I see no difference between how she is in Ultimates compared to the main book. That's just an example. Maybe there's a couple books that do, but for the most part I see her as the same.

About that...

tim1138

Holy shit, CMX is finally putting up Kirby's New Gods books. Oddly enough it's the 1984 reprints, but that means you get more bang for your buck since the reprints combined two issues into one.

VanWinkle

YOOO (from Jock's twitter)

CsZnPeCWcAEJGfl.jpg:large

DC finally does printed cover boards on their standard size HCs just in time to make almost all of their Rebirth stuff in trade paperback.

Deathstroke #2 was incredibly confusing. The Rebirth issue was brilliant, the actual first issue was already pretty tough to follow but Priest lost me with 2 in the last few pages. It's extremely reminescent of his Black Panther run but it's too cryptic for me at this point. I might have to trade wait this.

Other than that, it was a pretty good week for DC, with Hal Jordan, Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad all being very entertaining. I'm the one guy who's not reading Detective Comics apparently. Now, on to Doom Patrol.

Action Comics

I swear if this ends up just being another drawn out 6 issues of stupid...

Flash

I liked this issue and I'm fine with who Godspeed ended up being, but overall it just made me feel pretty meh about this arc as a whole. The pages where Godspeed reveals himself were absolutely great though.

Suicide Squad

I really like what we're getting of SS but I just wish they'd put a different artist on it than Jim Lee so we could get an actual full issue. Or am I crazy in thinking they're doing the splits because it's doubtful Lee could cover this turn around?

All-Star Batman

I was kind of eh on the first issue but I really loved this one. All around fun and awesome and the time structure actually fit with this issue unlike the last. Still feel like this Batman has too much snark though.

Messi

Action Comics

I swear if this ends up just being another drawn out 6 issues of stupid...

Flash

I liked this issue and I'm fine with who Godspeed ended up being, but overall it just made me feel pretty meh about this arc as a whole. The pages where Godspeed reveals himself were absolutely great though.

Suicide Squad

I really like what we're getting of SS but I just wish they'd put a different artist on it than Jim Lee so we could get an actual full issue. Or am I crazy in thinking they're doing the splits because it's doubtful Lee could cover this turn around?

All-Star Batman

I was kind of eh on the first issue but I really loved this one. All around fun and awesome and the time structure actually fit with this issue unlike the last. Still feel like this Batman has too much snark though.

They essentially said that's why they have backups now and he is also doing less issues.

He will be gone soon.

Fan of Jock here, big time in fact, but I think it's pretty understandable that some wouldn't be, it's very distinct. Also, I wouldn't say he's suited for every type of book, but imo his work with Snyder has been op point and awesome.

kmfdmpig

Fan of Jock here, big time in fact, but I think it's pretty understandable that some wouldn't be, it's very distinct. Also, I wouldn't say he's suited for every type of book, but imo his work with Snyder has been op point and awesome.

His work on The Losers was also good. That was such a great series.

Mindwipe

YOOO (from Jock's twitter)

CsZnPeCWcAEJGfl.jpg:large

DC finally does printed cover boards on their standard size HCs just in time to make almost all of their Rebirth stuff in trade paperback.

That looks great. I didn't read AA because I was trade waiting and I might go physical for this one.

Top Bottom