• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Messi

Bought Fearless Defenders Vol 1 and 2 today for $5. Fear Agent 1-5 for $5 each. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. Never read them.

I think that is Misty on the cover.

Owzers

i'm putting Uncanny Avengers #1 into the basket of deplorables, seems like another book that exists to get between relaunches. Started on issue #2 but it's sluggish.

Mafro

There had better be some serious ramifications regarding Eva Bell's time travel, otherwise I'm pretty sure I hate her.
You mean by the end of that Uncanny X-Men run?

Pretty sure Bendis just basically wrote her out like that so no other writers could use her. He did the same with Victoria Hand at the end of his Avengers run and admitted he just killed her off for that reason.

3shxMQa.jpg

i mean, this is like those srsly bro jokes, but good.

Boogiepop

So I finished Multiversity, and that was fun, if of course a little unusual in typical Grant Morrison fashion. But full of great moments, and the gimmick of Ultra Comics in particular did land quite well for me, especially something about the art/pacing of it just worked brilliantly.

That said, it called up a far, far more random question by vaguely referencing the character: Has Johnny Thunder ever been significantly used in anything of any note? I know OF the character, and I think I've seen him briefly mentioned a handful of times in my comic reading career (Multiversity very, very briefly having a Jakeem Thunder), but never in a role of any importance in the slightest. Variants on the character are plenty fair game too. Just kind of bugs me that I pretty much just know "oh yeah, that's a character with like a Thunderbolt genie thing or something", but I've never seen him in anything other than a light cameo.

VanWinkle

So I finished Multiversity, and that was fun, if of course a little unusual in typical Grant Morrison fashion. But full of great moments, and the gimmick of Ultra Comics in particular did land quite well for me, especially something about the art/pacing of it just worked brilliantly.

That said, it called up a far, far more random question by vaguely referencing the character: Has Johnny Thunder ever been significantly used in anything of any note? I know OF the character, and I think I've seen him briefly mentioned a handful of times in my comic reading career (Multiversity very, very briefly having a Jakeem Thunder), but never in a role of any importance in the slightest. Variants on the character are plenty fair game too. Just kind of bugs me that I pretty much just know "oh yeah, that's a character with like a Thunderbolt genie thing or something", but I've never seen him in anything other than a light cameo.

I don't know, but I did read a couple issues with him in it at the beginning of the JSA Omnibus Vol. 1 I'm reading right now.

You show that you care about your country and WWE Universal Championship belt and people try to put you in a basket. He CAN wrestle!

No one would have put silly monkey in a corner that's for sure.

Started volume 2 of Batgirl. I know the opinion is quite up and down in here over the book, but I get such a kick out of it. Co-op, children of hooq wearing smartphone masks, haha, I love it, there's so much energy.to it all.

Think I asked this before to no avail but I'll try again, any thoughts on Robin war?

Dalek

I've just started reading Morning Glories and my mind is blown. It's one of the best things I've ever read. I have no idea why I put it off for so long. I guess I didn't realize there was a mystery/weird aspect to it and just thought it was about teenagers at school!

It's seriously like a spiritual successor to Lost. I can't wait I'll I'm off work so I can read more.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I've just started reading Morning Glories and my mind is blown. It's one of the best things I've ever read. I have no idea why I put it off for so long. I guess I didn't realize there was a mystery/weird aspect to it and just thought it was about teenagers at school!

It's seriously like a spiritual successor to Lost. I can't wait I'll I'm off work so I can read more.

I love the start of it, and intend to go back when it's finished, but I got a little lost in the middle (pun always intended). I spent more time googling what had happened in each issue as I did actually reading it.

Dalek

I love the start of it, and intend to go back when it's finished, but I got a little lost in the middle (pun always intended). I spent more time googling what had happened in each issue as I did actually reading it.

If everything manages to get pulled together I'll be impressed. There's so many mysteries and twists each issue. I have no clue where it's heading.

Mmm interested to see how you get on with it. I am a huge fan of.lost and initially bought into the series for similar reasons but I dropped off along the way, I think it fundamentally fails to understand what actually made.lost work, and instead focuses on the twisty stuff way too much. Glad your enjoying it though man

I don't really know anything about Johnny Thunder during the Golden and Silver ages but Geoff Johns used him during his JSA run, the Stealing Thunder arc revolves around him and Jakeem Thunder. He also showed up in DC Rebirth a few months ago but I don't think his part in that has been explained yet. Maybe they'll use him to bring back the old JSA team in the New 52 universe...

Boogiepop

I don't know, but I did read a couple issues with him in it at the beginning of the JSA Omnibus Vol. 1 I'm reading right now.

I don't really know anything about Johnny Thunder during the Golden and Silver ages but Geoff Johns used him during his JSA run, the Stealing Thunder arc revolves around him and Jakeem Thunder. He also showed up in DC Rebirth a few months ago but I don't think his part in that has been explained yet. Maybe they'll use him to bring back the old JSA team in the New 52 universe...

Awesome, thanks guys!

Man, I wish I could get some of these variants as prints:

I do wonder how they're going to handle the White Ranger stuff, since we know it happens in this continuity because it's brought up in Kim's miniseries. Book has been great so far though.

Sandfox

So basically Spider Verse 2.0 sans Miles/Gwen

Spider-Woman and 2099 tied into the event and then you had books like Spider-Verse Team-UP, Scarlet Spiders and Edge of the Spider-Verse. ASM was also double shipping a few months during the event. This is much smaller, though that's too be expected given what Spider-Verse was.

Slott also mentioned that they got classic artists Spidey like Ron Frenz and Mark Bagley working on stuff for this event.

So far I'm looking forward to this

tim1138

Johnny is a founding member of the JSA going back to the Golden Age. Jakeem plays a significant role in Johns JSA and Justice Society of America runs.

Top Bottom