• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

PsychBat!

Banned
It started when an alien device did what it did
And stuck itself upon his wrist with secrets that it hid
Now he's got super powers, he's no ordinary kid
He's Ben 10.

Ross61

Two Supermans, especially with at the beginning the Superman who seemed to belong to that world died. But yet, the living Superman seems like an outsider and yet... takes over with the same costume? Maybe I'm not reading it right.

And what I didn't understand about the Eradicator was that it seemed to be out to consume Kryptonians, yet its focus was purely on Jon and not his father.

And it seemed like Eradicator and Superman had met before, but I had no reference to what their last meeting was really about. It sort of felt like they kept referencing things in the past, but as someone who is totally new to comics in general, it felt like I barely had any context.

I don't know... it's probably just me...

Eradicator did want his father and got him. But he also felt the "unclean" heretic Jon should have be a priority. And this Superman had an Eradicator on his universe too, but he's never met this Eradicator on this foreign word. It's actually ultimately unimportant since it only referenced in one line. And Superman has a different costume then then the dead New 52 one.

TheFlow

Banned
In two years these Rebirth books are going to be in the 50s. I wonder what they will plan on doing for jumping on points.

hopefully they go the normal route of just having new arc that recaps some shit.

I don't see anything drastic changing till the #25 mark.

It started when an alien device did what it did
And stuck itself upon his wrist with secrets that it hid
Now he's got super powers, he's no ordinary kid
He's Ben 10.

I'm more partial to:

BEN 10!
He's a kid, and he wants to have fun
But when you need a superhero, he gets the job done!
BEN 10!
With a device that he wears on his arm
He can change his shape and save the world from harm!
When trouble's takin' place
He gets right in its' face!
BEN 10!
When lives are on the line
It's Hero Time!
BEN 10!

Poor Derrick Wyatt, he always gets put on projects that are doomed but awesome. I still miss Transformers Animated.

Even though they could never agree on what exactly his powerset was, and they're rebooting anyway, my dream for a new series is Ben 10,000 as a Batman Beyond type deal. I liked the deal in UA, where he only had one transformation ("The Ultimate Human") and could access all his powers that way, although he was still limited to one set at a time. Maybe with his son Kenny and Devlin Levin as the protagonists. That future episode was so awesome.

Ross61

I'm more partial to:

BEN 10!
He's a kid, and he wants to have fun
But when you need a superhero, he gets the job done!
BEN 10!
With a device that he wears on his arm
He can change his shape and save the world from harm!
When trouble's takin' place
He gets right in its' face!
BEN 10!
When lives are on the line
It's Hero Time!
BEN 10!

Poor Derrick Wyatt, he always gets put on projects that are doomed but awesome. I still miss Transformers Animated.

Even though they could never agree on what exactly his powerset was, and they're rebooting anyway, my dream for a new series is Ben 10,000 as a Batman Beyond type deal. I liked the deal in UA, where he only had one transformation ("The Ultimate Human") and could access all his powers that way, although he was still limited to one set at a time. Maybe with his son Kenny and Devlin Levin as the protagonists. That future episode was so awesome.

I always wanted a Ken 10 show, but we kept getting Ben sadly.

TheFlow

Banned
ben 10 was one of the best things to happen to CNN but they keep going backwards with his age. Omniverse was meh overall.

if they wanted the young approach just give us his son.

Sandfox

Only if they haven't been reading Superman, considering she
helps Jon wombocombo the Eradicator while wearing the HellBat armor
I was mainly referring to New 52 Lois and even then I've seen people complain about how The character is currently written in Action Comics lol.

Man, i'd read the dude's webcomic about the wrassler, but that was nothing special.

This tho, god fucking damn it, getting me laughing hard all the god damn time. That clove cigarettes page is perfection. perfection, sez i.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Weekend reading....

Spider-Woman #4
Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur #3 and #4
Mockingbird #1
A-Force #3
Deadpool #8
Uncanny Avengers #4, #5, #6, and #7
Deadpool and The Mercs For Money #1 and #2
Extraordinary X-Men #8
Spider-Man/Deadpool #2 and #3
Vision #5

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Weekend reading....

Spider-Woman #4
Mockingbird #1
A-Force #3
Deadpool #8
Extraordinary X-Men #8
Vision #5

Hope you like Mockingbird, I think it's pretty awesome.

VanWinkle

Weekend reading....

Spider-Woman #4
Mockingbird #1
A-Force #3
Deadpool #8
Extraordinary X-Men #8
Vision #5

I thought you only read Image? Maybe I was thinking of someone else.

Owzers

Part of the Trump Campaign statement released today.
In 2011, Mr. Trump was finally able to bring this ugly incident to its conclusion by successfully compelling President Obama to release his birth certificate. Mr. Trump did a great service to the President and the country by bringing closure to the issue that Hillary Clinton and her team first raised. Inarguably, Donald J. Trump is a closer. Having successfully obtained President Obama’s birth certificate when others could not, Mr. Trump believes that President Obama was born in the United States.
-
I'm not giving up on Roman Reigns, the greatest, strongest, superman punchiest champion the wrestling world has ever seen, but it's getting harder to support Trump. I can't believe his campaign said he said Obama was born in the U.S.!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That's that good shit. Get ready for that KGBeast hotness

Please explain

There was a woman in some literary circle that gave a speech about how white writers were at siege from people claiming cultural appropriation and saying that white people should stick to writing white peoples (there was a lot of straw man-y nonsense going on there, but that's a big part of it) and leave the writing of characters of color to actual writers of color. Many writers took to Twitter to talk about how they don't mean to culturally appropriate but still want to be able to write about characters that don't look like them. Waid, as the writer of a book about black guy aliens or whatever the hell Strange Fruit is about said that he does research, and one guy didn't think that was good enough.

I think that's the gist of it.

mreddie

Mockingbird was great, finally has conflict! Hope the next issue isn't the last.

A-Force was okay but the tie in to CW2 feels forced per se. Kelly in the letters page said it was the final issue but I didn't get if it was the arc or series itself coming to an end.

Aizo

Banned
tumblr_m7wltlmiTD1qiw26m.jpg

I want to put together a Halloween comic recommendation thread in October or late September, so I was hoping I could have some input and recommendations to add!

I've read about a hundred different Japanese Horror series and one-shots, but I don't know many beyond that. I know maybe 5 good Korean Horror comics, Wytches, Harrow County, and... maybe that's it? Let me know what your favorites are!!

There was a woman in some literary circle that gave a speech about how white writers were at siege from people claiming cultural appropriation and saying that white people should stick to writing white peoples (there was a lot of straw man-y nonsense going on there, but that's a big part of it) and leave the writing of characters of color to actual writers of color. Many writers took to Twitter to talk about how they don't mean to culturally appropriate but still want to be able to write about characters that don't look like them. Waid, as the writer of a book about black guy aliens or whatever the hell Strange Fruit is about said that he does research, and one guy didn't think that was good enough.

I think that's the gist of it.

It's a non-story really. I'd be surprised if The Outhouse wrote about it.
Huh. That's...interesting

That one, not so much. Although I did buy Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL, but that was mainly for the Ben 10 characters
and Captain Planet

An updated version would make more sense, with Adventure Time and Steven Universe characters at least. Although I would like to see Mordecai and Rigby in a fighting game.

Not a fighting game but I do have a cartoon network game thing pre-ordered for my kid, believe it's out in November. Game is called Battle Crasher sI think ,it's a side scrolling beat-em-up, with Mordecai/Rigby, Jake &Finn, Clarence, Steven Universe, Gumball & Uncle Grampa as playable characters haha. I don't know if I'll play much but it has nice graphics.ps blog had a thing up about it not long ago.

I started off really liking Morning Glories. I binge-read the trades, and was in the 30s when I just lost interest. It felt like the story was going nowhere. It was like the writer had no idea where the story was going, so he just kept introducing new mysteries and characters so that he never had to revisit the ones that were there from the beginning. Very frustrating.

This seems to be everyone's journey with the series. I'm just going to wait til it's done and read the whole thing over a week or so. I still think it may fall short though, too plot centric and not character centric enough. Plus doing the constant flashbacks to add things *you didn't know* about teenagers is a bit much.

In two years these Rebirth books are going to be in the 50s. I wonder what they will plan on doing for jumping on points.

If they can keep the current creators on all the way through and tie up 52 issues as the *tom king/finch/janin* run of batman for example, I won't mind a retsart at that point. Not a continuity restart, but a book restart. 2 year long consistent runs that have a general beginning, middle & end planned out in advance sounds brilliant to me. Maybe have a potential ending in mind for the end of year one if the book isn't selling, give every book a min of a year, re-up to the second in best circumstances. If they can do that line wide every few years, I think ushering in a full new set of number 1s based on big creative shifts is a great idea. It's effectively a seasonal model (over a 2 year space of course) driven by the creators attached, and easy to grasp for new comers. This sounds like the future I want for the big two, as a general idea, if their properties need to be perpetual (and I understand they do, for their type of business to continue). Let people who have a full vision and idea about a character come in, tell it, get back out, leave behind a great collected run. Although, in my mind, you don't NEED to have double shipping to do this template anyway.

Messi

Mockingbird was great, finally has conflict! Hope the next issue isn't the last.

A-Force was okay but the tie in to CW2 feels forced per se. Kelly in the letters page said it was the final issue but I didn't get if it was the arc or series itself coming to an end.

The book is dead

Mindwipe

The CMX Batman sale seems to have added some more trades from when it was first put up. The first volumes of Wargames and No Man's Land for example. I'm not going to lie, I was hoping for Batman Eternal Volumes 3 and 4 cheap.

This week's trade from my backlog was Roche Limit: Clandestiny which was really not great at all compared to the great first volume. Does the third one pick up again? The art kinda stank too.

Yanick Paquette just posted some Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 2 art on his Instagram.

Fuck yeah, hype.

Is Morrison doing Vol 2? If not, does he have anything else coming from DC that has been announced?
WW Earth One vol 2-3, Batman Black and White and Multiversity Too which is supposed to start with a book about a Flash.

Orlando interview from FlameCon/before he was announced as the JLA writer.

Edit:
I'm reading the newest Green Arrow and there are waaaayyyyyy tooooo many grammar issues.
You could make a list and message the editor on twitter(Andy Khouri)if you want.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is Ras al Ghul and Talia supposed to be asian or arabian? Sorry to sound stupid, but I am really not sure because Resurrection of RAG and RAG: Year One tied him strongly to asia while his whole astethic with the desert was once more arabia themed.

Background: I was thinking about a Damian Wayne casting but since Talia doesnt seem to be caucasian (more or less depending on the artist of course), I kinda dont! want a caucasian actor to take his part.

Top Bottom