• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

This makes me sad (I haven't read the book). Waid is capable of incredible stuff and he has such a good track record for me.

The writing has been very "How do you do fellow kids?"

I'd also like Whitley take over. The best issue of Champions was the Monsters Unleashed tie-in issue that he wrote.

This makes me sad (I haven't read the book). Waid is capable of incredible stuff and he has such a good track record for me.
He can't write teenagers, for one. It's his biggest weakness. Then the second problem is his inability to integrate political commentary in a way that doesn't feel forced and unnatural. The book also doesn't have any forward momentum, so it's just random stories here and there with little cohesion (if any).

I'll read Green Arrow or Black Panther if I want politically heavy superhero books that are actually good.

He can't write teenagers, for one. It's his biggest weakness. Then the second problem is his inability to integrate political commentary in a way that doesn't feel forced and unnatural. The book also doesn't have any forward momentum, so it's just random stories here and there with little cohesion (if any).

I'll read Green Arrow or Black Panther if I want politically heavy superhero books that are actually good.

I think that was his problem on Avengers too.

VanWinkle

Ahh, interesting. I could understand that. The last time I read anything teenagers with him writing was Legionnaires, but it was written practically 30 years ago!

I loved politically-charged stories, but I had poorly done, on the nose politics in stories. I don't think any of the stuff I've read from him tackle social issues, so I will take your word there. Shame, though. He needs to get off there and write something that he's better with.

Veedot

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask (also posted in the Manga Discussion thread):

So Kodansha comics is releasing the "Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set" in October with the six volumes in hardcover with the original right-to-left reading format( opposed to 2009 prints left-to-right), with Otomo's original hand-drawn sound effects (a first in the English language).

As a huge Akira fan Im conflicted as I already own the first six volumes of the 2009 print and was wondering if it seems crazy to double dip? Part of me wants it as part of my collection and another part of me is saying that I really don't need it as the differences don't seem big enough to warrant purchasing another set.

I think that was his problem on Avengers too.
Avengers was just blah. Like....blah. Nothing engaging there. The Kooky Quartet story as dope though.

tumblr_ookdmmJtmO1r7hjkqo1_500.jpg
Ahh, interesting. I could understand that. The last time I read anything teenagers with him writing was Legionnaires, but it was practically 30 years ago!

I loved politically-charged stories, but I had poorly done, on the nose politics in stories. I don't think any of the stuff I've read from him tackle social issues, so I will take your word there. Shame, though. He needs to get off there and write something that he's better with.
He is writing Captain America with Samnee, so here's to hoping.

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask (also posted in the Manga Discussion thread):

So Kodansha comics is releasing the "Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set" in October with the six volumes in hardcover with the original right-to-left reading format( opposed to 2009 prints left-to-right), with Otomo's original hand-drawn sound effects (a first in the English language).

As a huge Akira fan Im conflicted as I already own the first six volumes of the 2009 print and was wondering if it seems crazy to double dip? Part of me wants it as part of my collection and another part of me is saying that I really don't need it as the differences don't seem big enough to warrant purchasing another set.
Don't get it then. I feel like if there isn't enough new stuff in the new collection then don't buy it.

Yea I was in the same spot as I have the previous phone book releases. But I ended up pre ordering it anyway just because I'm a big enough fan of the series and the HCs looked cool

If you're that big of a fan, it's probably an easily justifiable purchase. I've never actually read the Akira manga so I pre-ordered it back when Amazon first listed it.

Aizo

Banned
I forgot that I had my friend get Roughneck for me while she was visiting America. Now I just have more books. Kill me.

Captain Phasma #1 was pretty good. It picks up immediately after she disables the shields in Episode VII and plays out like a Forest Gump-style journey as she witnesses various events from the tail-end of the film. #2 will further fill in the blanks of what happened after TFA. I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Aizo

Banned
Captain Phasma #1 was pretty good. It picks up immediately after she disables the shields in Episode VII and plays out like a Forest Gump-style journey as she witnesses various events from the tail-end of the film. #2 will further fill in the blanks of what happened after TFA. I'm actually looking forward to this one.
That was a big problem I had with the films. It felt like she was supposed to be so much more important, and we hardly see her do anything. Felt like a few scenes were cut or something. It really only leaves you to assume they actually threw her in the trash compactor, which I thought would be quite unbelievable.

Sandfox

I've been hearing good things about that book. I may need to check it out.

So I started Batman and Robin Eternal. About halfway through the first trade. Boy the implication that Bruce had Dick, Jason, and Tim "designed" for him is...well I don't think Batman has been painted in a worse light, honestly.

I also loved the moment where Cass touches Jason's hand, Tim's head, and Dick's chest signifying that they are the body, brain, and heart of the group (respectively). Just a very nice moment.

VanWinkle

So I started Batman and Robin Eternal. About halfway through the first trade. Boy the implication that Bruce had Dick, Jason, and Tim "designed" for him is...well I don't think Batman has been painted in a worse light, honestly.

I also loved the moment where Cass touches Jason's hand, Tim's head, and Dick's chest signifying that they are the body, brain, and heart of the group (respectively). Just a very nice moment.

While too decompressed, I did like B&R Eternal so much better than Batman Eternal. It was way more focused and had some really good character moments. Pretty good story overall.

Vibranium

Banned
I've been checking out Titan's Doctor Who books more, with the recent sales. I enjoyed the Eigth Doctor miniseries but man, the lack of Charley in it hurt the book. I wish his audio companions were in it.

And I'll be honest, the "house style" of art used in the line isn't great. Many of their talent can't properly draw the actors, 12 and 4 are especially bad (Capaldi's eyebrows and Baker's nose/smile are very important expressions). I honestly would prefer unique artists like David Aja, Marco Rudy, Erica Henderson, etc. It needs to be trippier and more like Ditko Doctor Strange.

Aizo

Banned
Best new image series that started in the last few months?
Sale means I can check some out.

Sandfox

Alonso has been tweeting pages from Legacy books and there's some nice stuff up there like Simonson art from Thor 700 and art for books with changing creative teams.

mreddie

The fact more than half the mini will be "getting the team back together" sucks since they were broken up offscreen.

(Also, are they really not going to address Nico's arm?)

Rowell has said this is only Arc 1 but I feel Mahvoo is scared it won't sell so it's a mini for now but lets have fucking Venomverse take up space and later on Gen X and America. I swear if I get more Runaways flair from the OGs and it's only 6 issues but fucking Gen X, the RC Cola of Runaways continue to 10 issues, fuck off.

I love it! Soooo is Klara still a thing in Runaways or did she get written out?

I say wait til Issue 4 solicits, since it's likely Molly focused, if Klara isn't there, Rowell is gonna ignore her. It's actually kinda blatant this is the supposed true run since BKV.

Rowell has said this is only Arc 1 but I feel Mahvoo is scared it won't sell so it's a mini for now but lets have fucking Venomverse take up space and later on Gen X and America. I swear if I get more Runaways flair from the OGs and it's only 6 issues but fucking Gen X, the RC Cola of Runaways continue to 10 issues, fuck off.

I say wait til Issue 4 solicits, since it's likely Molly focused, if Klara isn't there, Rowell is gonna ignore her. It's actually kinda blatant this is the supposed true run since BKV.
Don't tell me the book has a Venomverse variant.

Sandfox

If people buy Runaways they will make more. Runaways isn't a strong seller in singles so it will probably come down to the trade. Those other books don't really have an effect on what happens.

MC_Hify

You guys think it would be worth $150 for a Stan Lee autograph and photo op? He's coming to my LCS next Friday. All the money goes to charity apparently.

If people buy Runaways they will make more. Runaways isn't a strong seller in singles so it will probably come down to the trade. Those other books don't really have an effect on what happens.

But the author said it would be too late to wait for the trade if people want the book to get more issues. :p

arkon

Sell your old stuff if you can part with them and put the funds toward the new release. It's a difficult decision I know but if it's not putting you in a bad spot financially why not preorder just in case. It's hard to know how limited these things are in terms of print run so if you decide to get it later it may well be going for exorbitant prices on places like ebay.

Based on the rest of his instagram and the costume she's wearing it's pretty safe to say that's a sketch. We've seen what Cheung will be doing for Legacy already as well and it does imply that he's involved with Marvel Two-In-One though.
I wonder what he meant by "MCU". Marvel Comics Universe or is it just to get more hits from people searching for MCU art.

Malyse

Or just Whitely. I like Ramos. I also don't want this to turn into Unstoppable Wasp 2.0. I didn't enjoy that book the first time and I won't enjoy the second.

It's not my fault you hate fun.

-----

If any book should have had fallout from Secret Empire, it's Champions. I think they went through the most hell of anyone, what with their team getting torn apart, their mentor getting offed, etc.

jph139

Sue moonlighted for SHIELD in Waid's run from a few years ago and during Time Runs Out. I think that's the TRO costume, actually. Or something similar.

Sandfox

I miss him
My guesses for the Legacy return are Logan, Jean, or Hulk. Hulk just barely makes the list and I think his return will be setup in Legacy, but actually happen in the Hulk ongoing. Logan is the most likely IMO, but Marvel has been doing a lot of Phoenix stuff lately, including this story so who knows.

Veedot

Don't get it then. I feel like if there isn't enough new stuff in the new collection then don't buy it.
I think i'm mostly in this mindset right now.

Yea I was in the same spot as I have the previous phone book releases. But I ended up pre ordering it anyway just because I'm a big enough fan of the series and the HCs looked cool

If you're that big of a fan, it's probably an easily justifiable purchase. I've never actually read the Akira manga so I pre-ordered it back when Amazon first listed it.
Sell your old stuff if you can part with them and put the funds toward the new release. It's a difficult decision I know but if it's not putting you in a bad spot financially why not preorder just in case. It's hard to know how limited these things are in terms of print run so if you decide to get it later it may well be going for exorbitant prices on places like ebay.

I also pre ordered when listing first came up but i'm moving towards cancelling it but i'll keep it in my cart until the week before release just in case. I feel since I already have the books in some capacity I really don't need this and it would lighten my load of October purchases. Through this I found Kodansha is also rereleasing Battle Angel Alita at a very good price and I don't own that series in any capacity so hell yeah to that pre order!

I think i'm mostly in this mindset right now.

I also pre ordered when listing first came up but i'm moving towards cancelling it but i'll keep it in my cart until the week before release just in case. I feel since I already have the books in some capacity I really don't need this and it would lighten my load of October purchases. Through this I found Kodansha is also rereleasing Battle Angel Alita at a very good price and I don't own that series in any capacity so hell yeah to that pre order!

Are you not able to sell your paperbacks? I sold mine early but they still seem to be going for a decent amount. (Reasonably close to what you pre-order should be costing you).

Little late on the subject in internet time but I thought this piece hit hard on the whole Joss Whedon thing in conjunction with things we've seen in comics

https://pome-mag.com/stop-starts-sound-familiar/

You guys think it would be worth $150 for a Stan Lee autograph and photo op? He's coming to my LCS next Friday. All the money goes to charity apparently.
You should do it imo

Stan Lee is like 94 years old and I wouldn't be surprised if he passes away soon or less unfortunately, stopped doing signings and appearances.

Top Bottom