• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Shattered Space |OT| Is that the Great Serpent or are you just happy to see me?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This actually looks interesting. I liked the main quests in Starfield, I just was very disappointed by the exploration. I am confused by the launch time for this thing though. What kind of asshole launches a game in their timezone at 11AM on a Monday?

Darchaos

Nice OT!

I once wrote in the Starfield OT that this together with Flight sim was the 2 games i would never delete from my PC. That didnt happen, couse the game is kind of an empty shell with no depth, it just takes a while to see it(i quit after 80 hours or so and never looked back). One of the, if not the biggest, disappointments in gaming for me. So for this DLC, i feel nothing at all.

One more thing that burned me bad on the game, the mainstory and what happens when you clear it. Took away all the fun of building looting and exploring, shouldent have done it that way.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This actually looks interesting. I liked the main quests in Starfield, I just was very disappointed by the exploration. I am confused by the launch time for this thing though. What kind of asshole launches a game in their timezone at 11AM on a Monday?
I thought the actual main quest was fucking awful. It was clearly unfinished and rushed. Easily the worst part of the the game. Some of the faction quests on the other hand were actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I thought the actual main quest was fucking awful. It was clearly unfinished and rushed. Easily the worst part of the the game. Some of the faction quests on the other hand were actually pretty good.

That is extremely typical when a movie or game presents a mystery that supposed to answer the questions about the very fabric of the universe. They always fall short. Starfield was no different and I had a feeling from the beginning that it wouldn't end well. I didn't think it was going to be as shitty as it was though.

Thankfully, the faction quests more than made up for it. I enjoyed all of those more than the main campaign and it was even close.

Hoping Shattered Space is much better.

clarky

Gold Member
That is extremely typical when a movie or game presents a mystery that supposed to answer the questions about the very fabric of the universe. They always fall short. Starfield was no different and I had a feeling from the beginning that it wouldn't end well. I didn't think it was going to be as shitty as it was though.

Thankfully, the faction quests more than made up for it. I enjoyed all of those more than the main campaign and it was even close.

Hoping Shattered Space is much better.
It started decent enough but then descended into terrible. The floating around temples bits had clearly meant to be so much more than well just floating around the same room over and over.

Once again if Daddy phil had the balls to delay another 12 months he might have actually got something resembling a killer app, the bones were there.

Still enjoyed it mind.

Topher

Gold Member
It started decent enough but then descended into terrible. The floating around temples bits had clearly meant to be so much more than well just floating around the same room over and over.

Once again if Daddy phil had the balls to delay another 12 months he might have actually got something resembling a killer app, the bones were there.

Still enjoyed it mind.

Overall, yeah it was still a lot of fun. Somehow I missed the trackers alliance faction during my first play through. Going to do that this weekend before SS hits.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Star Trek Ok GIF

Nydius

Todd Howard said something about hoping to do annual story expansions, but didn't see how many.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only one we get unless it sells surprisingly well.

I suspect the sales for this will be abysmal and the only people who play it will be people like myself who bought the deluxe or constellation editions day one. Most people I know played it through Game Pass and aren’t interested in paying money for DLC expansions (the same thing that helped doom Outriders, despite the DLC and complete game overhaul which made that game much better).

Last edited:

Gonzito

I found this game so damn dull although I have the deluxe edition and this expansion is included. I dont know if I want to go back to be honest, I cant stand a game where half of the time you spend it in loading screens

Fess

I suspect the sales for this will be abysmal and the only people who play it will be people like myself who bought the deluxe or constellation editions day one. Most people I know played it through Game Pass and aren’t interested in paying money for DLC expansions (the same thing that helped doom Outriders, despite the DLC and complete game overhaul).
There were over 300k concurrent players on Steam at one point so it wasn’t just big on Gamepass, buy only 11k ccu right now so we’ll see, majority has stopped playing it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I found this game so damn dull although I have the deluxe edition and this expansion is included. I dont know if I want to go back to be honest, I cant stand a game where half of the time you spend it in loading screens

Eh....a bit of an exaggerations there. The loading screens are very short. Personally, if I had to list my top five gripes about the game, loading screens would not be one of them.

finalflame

Really wish there was a way to play this via XCloud on my TV without needing to connect a PC to it. It's INSANE that is not an option in 2024.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Have you played the base game?
Dead Space and Starfield are completely different games, think of Starfield as a mix of Fallout and No Man’s Sky, and Shattered Space is an isolated world/planet you can go back and forth to as you wish. The big difference here from the base game is that it’s fully hand crafted, and it sounds like long range weapons won’t be as effective, more chaotic combat.
Check this deep dive

Added the deep dive to the OP. Thanks.

DAHGAMING

Brother, I always get my serpent out when I read your posts, its not so great though.

Nice OT, im looking forward to restarting this game then onto the this DLC.

Nydius

There were over 300k concurrent players on Steam at one point so it wasn’t just big on Gamepass, buy only 11k ccu right now so we’ll see, majority has stopped playing it.

How many of them refunded? How many of them shelved the game and never came back? Looking at both Steam db and Steam Charts, that CCU dropped by two thirds a week and a half after launch.

Looking at Steam achievement tracking, only 40% reached level 25. Less than 20% did the final mission. I don’t think that 330k CCU number means much except people were expecting big things from Bethesda and bought it solely on the reputation of Skyrim.

Fess

I cant stand a game where half of the time you spend it in loading screens
Slight exaggeration perhaps, no?
On PC with a standard 980 Pro load times is a fade out fade in thing in 3 seconds unless you fast travel between solar systems where you could have up to 10s loading.
You can cut down loading more if you use mods, speed up door animations and cut out the fade out/in sequence. Or insert space travel animations if you don’t like to look at your photomode reel.

clarky

Gold Member
On PC with a standard 980 Pro load times is a fade out fade in thing in 3 seconds unless you fast travel between solar systems where you could have up to 10s loading.
You can cut down loading more if you use mods, speed up door animations and cut out the fade out/in sequence. Or insert space travel animations if you don’t like to look at your photomode reel.
On PC at least, the loading gripe is a non issue in my experience. Depends on the rig obviously though.

I believe on the xbox its a pain in the arse. Though I've never fired it up to confirm.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I hated this so much. Did they ever fix it? Half the time you fly through the thing and it doesn't even register. I'd rather they just gave you the shit.
Probably not. I've not touched the game since my initial play through though. I've been waiting for this expansion and all the last years improvement's before I have another go.

Stuart360

Looking at Steam achievement tracking, only 40% reached level 25. Less than 20% did the final mission.
You know thats actually pretty good right, especially for a game of this size.
Go check some completion numbers for other highly rated games and you may be surprised by the numbers you see.

Last edited:

Fess

How many of them refunded? How many of them shelved the game and never came back? Looking at both Steam db and Steam Charts, that CCU dropped by two thirds a week and a half after launch.

Looking at Steam achievement tracking, only 40% reached level 25. Less than 20% did the final mission. I don’t think that 330k CCU number means much except people were expecting big things from Bethesda and bought it solely on the reputation of Skyrim.
Impossible to know but it’s a difficult game to do a quick spin and refund considering it’s a slow starter. They spoke of 40h average playtime on 13m players near launch. But I’m just highlighting that it wasn’t just big on Gamepass, it’s one of Bethesda’s biggest games on Steam going by CCU.
How many will return for the expansion? No idea.

clarky

Gold Member

I didn't do the final mission and have over 140 hours in game.

I hammered it for 2- 3 weeks then have been waiting for the expansion to go again.

I don't think those figures mean what you think they do. 330k CCU is huge, especially as it also launched on gamepass.

Last edited:

Fess

On PC at least, the loading gripe is a non issue in my experience. Depends on the rig obviously though.

I believe on the xbox its a pain in the arse. Though I've never fired it up to confirm.
For me it has never been a problem but haven’t played it on console. I think the biggest problem is that it’s a bit old school, they don’t do any fancy animations, besides the take off and landing scenes. They either go ”fade out - black - fade in” or you get to look at your photomode creations for a couple seconds.
Spider-Man 2 vs Starfield on a 980 Pro

Stuart360

I didn't do the final mission and have over 140 hours in game.

I hammered it for 2- 3 weeks then have been waiting for the expansion to go again.

I don't think those figures mean what you think they do. 330k CCU is huge, especially as it also launched on gamepass.
I had over 100 hours in my playthrough and i never finished the main quest either, in fact i'd guess i probably did about half. I got spoiled about the ending and what actually was going on, and i cant do with the lame multiverse concept anymore lol.

Besides Bethesda RPG's are probably the only games where the side content, which usually makes up about 80-90% of the game, is actually more important than the main quest. Imo anyway. I must of done at least 10 playthroughs of Skyrim over the years, and i have finished the main quest trwice.

clarky

Gold Member
I had over 100 hours in my playthrough and i never finished the main quest either, in fact i'd guess i probably did about half. I got spoiled about the ending and what actually was going on, and i cant do with the lame multiverse concept anymore lol.

Besides Bethesda RPG's are probably the only games where the side content, which usually makes up about 80-90% of the game, is actually more important than the main quest. Imo anyway. I must of done at least 10 playthroughs of Skyrim over the years, and i have finished the main quest trwice.
The game has/had a lot wrong with it for sure but there was a good time to be had if it clicked, but boy did it take a while. The menus and UI were fucking terrible and some of the quests were far superior to others. But if it clicked there was still some of that BGS magic it there.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 in retrospect but I loved it at the time. Looking forward to diving back in when I get the chance with stuff like an actual working map and a rover to get about lol.

Edit: Oh and the photo mode was fucking awesome.

Last edited:
I preordered the premium edition. I had low expectations but somehow Bethesda still managed to disappoint. Yeah, space is supposed to be empty as hell, I get that, but at least make the few pockets of civilization worth exploring. I can't believe how bad the main cities are even when compared to Skyrim.

I'll play this because I already paid for it but I don't think I'll be impressed.

Stuart360

The game has/had a lot wrong with it for sure but there was a good time to be had if it clicked, but boy did it take a while. The menus and UI were fucking terrible and some of the quests were far superior to others. But if it clicked there was still some of that BGS magic it there.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 in retrospect but I loved it at the time. Looking forward to diving back in when I get the chance with stuff like an actual working map and a rover to get about lol.

Edit: Oh and the photo mode was fucking awesome.
Yeah i agree. I actually gave the game a 8/10. The side content is honestly some of the best Bethesda has done (some of the side content anyway), but there are a lot of niggles, and complication with the aging engine that hold it back a bit.

I have no doubt Bethesda will be back on top form with ES6. One big map, and something they, and the engine, can cope with. Of couse the problem will be comparing it to Skyrim, which the game probably wont match up with, no matter how good it is (in some poeple eyes anyway).

Fess

I never finish Bethesda RPGs, I get side tracked and wandering to do side stuff and eventually start over with another character. Never finished Skyrim, Oblivion.

But I finished Starfield - reason, some sob on the internet hyped up NG+ and said that’s when the game really starts… So I plowed through it. Still don’t know what was special with NG+…

I started new after a couple hours and next playthrough I played it like you should play a Bethesda RPG, focus on side content. Probably played for 150 hours before doing the main quest that kick off the Constellation quest where Sarah gets on the ship.

Been doing several playthroughs after that but never finished it again. The main quest for me is incredibly repetitive. I don’t understand what they were thinking. Could’ve had cool high tech levels in the temples, like the Horizon couldrons, instead we float between dots for 30 seconds ???? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I never finish Bethesda RPGs, I get side tracked and wandering to do side stuff and eventually start over with another character. Never finished Skyrim, Oblivion.

But I finished Starfield - reason, some sob on the internet hyped up NG+ and said that’s when the game really starts… So I plowed through it. Still don’t know what was special with NG+…

I started new after a couple hours and next playthrough I played it like you should play a Bethesda RPG, focus on side content. Probably played for 150 hours before doing the main quest that kick off the Constellation quest where Sarah gets on the ship.

Been doing several playthroughs after that but never finished it. The main quest for me is incredibly repetitive. I don’t understand what they were thinking. Could’ve had cool high tech levels in the temples, like the Horizon couldrons, instead we float between dots for 30 seconds ???? 🤷‍♂️
I think each temple was supposed to be a "level" that showcased the power you were about to get but obviously it all got cut.

Stuart360

Been doing several playthroughs after that but never finished it. The main quest for me is incredibly repetitive. I don’t understand what they were thinking. Could’ve had cool high tech levels in the temples, like the Horizon couldrons, instead we float between dots for 30 seconds ???? 🤷‍♂️
No exaggeration, i didnt finish Skyrims main questline until about the 3rd or 4th playthrough lol.

Bethesda games are all about the side content, the factions/guilds, the exploring, the people you meet along the way, the living and breathing feel of their open worlds etc.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is not an exaggeration, they are noticeable and the worse thing is that there is tons of them. Enter the ship a loading screen, flying into space a loading screen, landing on a planet a loading screen, exiting the ship? You guessed it, a loading screen ;).

Gonzito

Man I can't believe some people here are defending the atrocious loading times lol, I have a fast computer abd they are fast, this doesn't change the fact that those loading screens shouldn't be there on the first place on a fucking next gen game

clarky

Gold Member
Man I can't believe some people here are defending the atrocious loading times lol, I have a fast computer abd they are fast, this doesn't change the fact that those loading screens shouldn't be there on the first place on a fucking next gen game
O no not loading on a fucking next gen game of all things, apart from Starfield ive not seen a loading screen or a fade to black in 4 years....

Last edited:

BigLee74

it shouldnt have been in the base game , it should have been THE base game

a hand crafted world with interesting things to discover , not procedural bullshit and 1000 planets filled with crafting resources
Nah, they did the right thing. Something different from another Skyrim. The setting is top notch. Space man! The handcrafted areas are all pretty great (and there are lots of them).

I’ll admit something is lost moving away from a traditional ‘open world’ where you can just stumble across new areas of interest, but you can’t do that in something as big as space.

The 1000 (full size remember) planets should just be regarded as a little side treat that allow you to soak in the atmosphere. I found it quite relaxing to land and see what they looked like. Got some amazing screenshots out of it at least (was never into base building). I’m not a fan of seeing structures no matter where you land, nor of pirate ships always landing in the vicinity - they could have done a bit more in that regard to make it believable.

Still my fave game of this generation.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

You were exaggerating quite a bit and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. You are right that they shouldn't be there in the first place, but no need to make them out to be worse than it really is.

Stuart360

To be honest i never really noticed the loading screens first time i played. Mainly because i expected them being a Bethesda RPG, and the majority of them are so fast (on PC anyway) that they never got in the way.
I mean all this uproar about loading screens and i have to think back to last gen, and the previous gen, where you often had 30secs - 1min just to enter a building, cave, etc on Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. On console i'm talking about.

Can you imagine if Starfield had been similar!.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To be honest i never really noticed the loading screens first time i played. Mainly because i expected them being a Bethesda RPG, and the majority of them are so fast (on PC anyway) that they never got in the way.
I mean all this uproar about loading screens and i have to think back to last gen, and the previous gen, where you often had 30secs - 1min just to enter a building, cave, etc on Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. On console i'm talking about.

Can you imagine if Starfield had been similar!.
You can play tons of hours in Oblivion, Morrowind, and Skyrim without seeing many loading screens. You will see more of them in Starfield because they broke the game in lots of different planets where to explore them all you need to go back to orbit and land again, entering and exiting the spaceships, there are plenty of cases where you will face a loading screen that should just not be there.

This seems naive from Bethesda as they were designing a fundamentally different game and did not adapt their tech to this aspect.

Top Bottom