• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's because all these multiplayer games are trying to get people to keep playing their game. It's the Farmville model, but applied to multiplayer because of all the unlocks. I mean, they're already selling commanders to people who didn't preorder the game.

It begs the question, of course, of whether or not a 5% health boost vs a 2% accuracy boost actually changes anything in the game though. I would hope that they would have tested all that and the minor bonuses even out, but there's no way to be sure.

Sethos

Banned
It begs the question, of course, of whether or not a 5% health boost vs a 2% accuracy boost actually changes anything in the game though. I would hope that they would have tested all that and the minor bonuses even out, but there's no way to be sure.

Of course it won't, engagements usually turns out a lot more lopsided to let a 2-5% bonus change the course of the battle. It's just a nice thing to have for some units you use a lot, have a lot of them to slightly boost their effectiveness.

Plus the commander abilities are now so weak in many aspects, they hardly turn the battle like a V1 could, King Tiger, that insanely OP Propaganda in vCoH. Many of their abilities are little nice-to-have stuff with a few great stuff in between.

Many of the locked commander abilities are also using abilities from the already unlocked commanders, just with a different variation. The only interesting thing any of the locked commanders have is the Tiger.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe I've become cynical of ranking systems, but it just feels like the bulletins are the carrots that they are trying to use to get people to stay on the treadmill. I think the last unlock is at 85, which is crazy.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If the perks don't make a difference then I don't see the point of them existing to be honest, other than to give people something to grind for.

Sethos

Banned
Maybe I've become cynical of ranking systems, but it just feels like the bulletins are the carrots that they are trying to use to get people to stay on the treadmill. I think the last unlock is at 85, which is crazy.

I've gotten used to all the ranking / unlocks in games these days, however this is pretty non-invasive system that doesn't actually contain anything I want to chase. Just little nice to have abilities that I could live without.

They are there for the people that love unlocking and XP, let them have it. People who just play the game regularly will also get them eventually.

Is there a list of all the hot keys? Would like to switch between my units without having to click on them with the mouse.

There are two types of key setups in options:

1.) Classic Hotkeys (when you set Classic Hotkeys to ON)
This assigns unique buttons to each ability and is at the whim of the devs but the attempt is to find a logical letter key for the ability (so Attack Move is "A" and Stop is "S").

2.) Grid Keys (when you set Classic Hotkeys to OFF)
Assigns abilities / build instructions in the lower right menu now adhere to a grid:
QWER
ASDF
ZXCV

I think TGB are for unit upgrades.

Selection
If you have multiple units selected, you can cycle between those units by pressing Tab. This will subselect the first unit in your selection and subsequent Tab presses will move to the next unit and so on. Pressing Tab with the last unit of your selection subselected will reselect the entire squad so you can issue orders to everyone again.

Base Buildings
You the F1-F5 keys select your buildings in tier order. Main base is F1 and tier 4 building is F5.

If I find a reference sheet, I'll let you know. Hope this helps a bit?

Corto

Is there a list of all the hot keys? Would like to switch between my units without having to click on them with the mouse.

You can cycle through them with tab key as shrapnelmagnet posted or use the top right corner icon shortcuts. Double click on those and you'll have that unit centered on the game screen.

Ok, I really miss the games browser. There's no way to a game besides automatch, is there? It especially sucks because there seems to be now way I can figure out to find recent players? At least allow me post game to click them in chat and invite them to my party.

Also, other really weird complaint: the click pointer is so bad (the little green arrows that appear). Not visually pleasing at all.

But man, that gameplay is there. Screw the lame ranking and strange UI choices...fix the framerate and I'll be sucked in like CoH1.

I also think that visually it actually is a good step up from the original.

FartOfWar

Banned
Ok, I really miss the games browser. There's no way to a game besides automatch, is there? It especially sucks because there seems to be now way I can figure out to find recent players? At least allow me post game to click them in chat and invite them to my party.

Also, other really weird complaint: the click pointer is so bad (the little green arrows that appear). Not visually pleasing at all.

But man, that gameplay is there. Screw the lame ranking and strange UI choices...fix the framerate and I'll be sucked in like CoH1.

I also think that visually it actually is a good step up from the original.

Go use a T-34 to ram a Tiger on a frozen river, then drop an AT barrage on the ice after the engineer blob arrives to repair it. "Sometimes a tank falls through the ice on a frozen river." Sometimes. Props to Relic for "gamifiying" the spirit that resorted to tactics such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_ramming#Soviet_Union

You probably shouldn't play multiplayer games then.

Explain yourself, or was this a baseless attempt at antagonising?

You seem so sure that the ranking doesn't mean anything, yet you're totally ignoring the fact that the rank in CoH2 is based on how often you've played. So regardless of 'ability boosts', it still pairs new people to the game against veterans and there is no way to choose who you play against accept for private games.

So unless you're happy to play against friends all the time, there's no way to ensure you get something even similar to a 'fair' match up. How is this not an issue for those that want it?

Go use a T-34 to ram a Tiger on a frozen river, then drop an AT barrage on the ice after the engineer blob arrives to repair it. "Sometimes a tank falls through the ice on a frozen river." Sometimes. Props to Relic for "gamifiying" the spirit that resorted to tactics such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_ramming#Soviet_Union
I actually think the winter element of the front was turned into gameplay mechanics in really interesting ways, blizzards can make for interesting tide shifts and holy shit, the thick of a storm actually feels like just that. If every map had winter elements, it might get old, but luckily that's not the case. Weird how what I thought would be the gimmick turned out great, but what I though sounded gamechanging - "truesight" - I haven't *really* noticed affecting my play.

By the way - I played you and your crew a number of times back in the GFW days. Let's just say I'm glad there are no tank flails in this game..

antitrop

Dont you have a 560? Cannot remember... if so.. do not expect the world obviously.
Overclocked i7-2600k and GTX 590; Quite a bit better than a 560. 320.49 drivers -- Frame rate is all over the place during gameplay, 30-60fps on not even maxed settings and as low as 20 in cutscenes. Average seems to be about 45, maybe closer to 50. Game stutters like crazy and the graphics are, to be quite honest, ugly overall. Some of the effects are very nice.

I'm not even going to bother continuing with the game until they fix it.

FartOfWar

Banned
I actually think the winter element of the front was turned into gameplay mechanics in really interesting ways, blizzards can make for interesting tide shifts and holy shit, the thick of a storm actually feels like just that. If every map had winter elements, it might get old, but luckily that's not the case. Weird how what I thought would be the gimmick turned out great, but what I though sounded gamechanging - "truesight" - I haven't *really* noticed affecting my play.

By the way - I played you and your crew a number of times back in the GFW days. Let's just say I'm glad there are no tank flails in this game..

Watch the snap quarter turn once he's on top of the infantry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2WwukII8EU#t=0m23s And again at 00:44 Works with many COH 2 tanks as well. Pull in at full speed, then snap quarter turn onto them.

FartOfWar

Banned
Overclocked i7-2600k and GTX 590; Quite a bit better than a 560. 320.49 drivers -- Frame rate is all over the place during gameplay, 30-60fps on not even maxed settings and as low as 20 in cutscenes. Average seems to be about 45, maybe closer to 50. Game stutters like crazy and the graphics are, to be quite honest, ugly overall. Some of the effects are very nice.

I'm not even going to bother continuing with the game until they fix it.

I've never been as much into perf as I have been into gameplay. Shame to hear. So the thinking is that 50 FPS is unplayable? Great game if you can slum with the 50. : (

antitrop

I've never been as much into perf as I have been into gameplay. Shame to hear. So the thinking is that 50 FPS is unplayable? Great game if you can slum with the 50. : (
But some of the effects drop it down to 30, so it will be 45-50 for a while, then something will happen, like an explosion, and it drops to 30 and then back up to 50. It's extremely jarring and upsetting.

That really messes with input lag, it's much more about that than the visuals themselves.

I don't want to whine about it, so I'll come back to this game and the thread after they get a patch out.

1080p, 'Recommended Settings', 320.49 driver:
U6NLYDY.jpg

7fNUrJk.jpg

RelicCoH2%202013-06-26%2020-53-24-84.png

Shit is fucked up.

Mindlog

Of course it won't, engagements usually turns out a lot more lopsided to let a 2-5% bonus change the course of the battle. It's just a nice thing to have for some units you use a lot, have a lot of them to slightly boost their effectiveness.
I agree that it doesn't make much of a difference, but I'd rather not have it there at all. In this type of game I don't get any enjoyment from free play time bonuses. My reward for playing is a deeper understanding of the mechanics. Even Call of Duty subverts its own unlock mechanic for competitive play.

Given the game's very turbulent development I'm surprised it turned out so well. I hope SEGA gives the next Relic game more time, money and the stability that goes with that. I'd be really interested in some postmortem blogs/interviews. There are more than a few hard cuts that had to be made just to get the game out.

Looking forward to the tournament this weekend :) I want to see how top level 1 vs 1 starts to play out.

I kind of want to do a benchmark on the system I used to play it over lunch the day it came out - I played a 1's game on an HD 4000 (yes, integrated Intel crap - it was the only PC at hand). I actually thought it ran admirably, fwiw, at obviously low settings (but native res). But then again, I played CoH1 on a Pentium D with an 8600 and 2 GB RAM, so maybe I'm used to runs-like-ass CoH.

Looking forward to the tournament this weekend :) I want to see how top level 1 vs 1 starts to play out.
Link to more info on this tournament?

There are two types of key setups in options:

1.) Classic Hotkeys (when you set Classic Hotkeys to ON)
This assigns unique buttons to each ability and is at the whim of the devs but the attempt is to find a logical letter key for the ability (so Attack Move is "A" and Stop is "S").

2.) Grid Keys (when you set Classic Hotkeys to OFF)
Assigns abilities / build instructions in the lower right menu now adhere to a grid:
QWER
ASDF
ZXCV

I think TGB are for unit upgrades.

Selection
If you have multiple units selected, you can cycle between those units by pressing Tab. This will subselect the first unit in your selection and subsequent Tab presses will move to the next unit and so on. Pressing Tab with the last unit of your selection subselected will reselect the entire squad so you can issue orders to everyone again.

Base Buildings
You the F1-F5 keys select your buildings in tier order. Main base is F1 and tier 4 building is F5.

If I find a reference sheet, I'll let you know. Hope this helps a bit?

You can cycle through them with tab key as shrapnelmagnet posted or use the top right corner icon shortcuts. Double click on those and you'll have that unit centered on the game screen.

very helpful, thanks!

Is there a manual or anything? And yeah, if you find a reference sheet, please let me know. I rarely play RTS so every little bit helps.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
very helpful, thanks!

Is there a manual or anything? And yeah, if you find a reference sheet, please let me know. I rarely play RTS so every little bit helps.

Hit Guide Categories on the right:
http://www.coh2.org/

It's pretty much all beginner stuff and there have been some changes since, but it should give you a very good and brief overview.

Almighty

Well based on what I am reading it looks like I will wait a little while before I grab the game. Just until some of the major issues have been resolved.

Sethos

Banned
Explain yourself, or was this a baseless attempt at antagonising?

You seem so sure that the ranking doesn't mean anything, yet you're totally ignoring the fact that the rank in CoH2 is based on how often you've played. So regardless of 'ability boosts', it still pairs new people to the game against veterans and there is no way to choose who you play against accept for private games.

So unless you're happy to play against friends all the time, there's no way to ensure you get something even similar to a 'fair' match up. How is this not an issue for those that want it?

Because what you said is the same damn whining you have in every damn thread for a rank based game. Call of Duty; "Buhu he's higher rank because he played more than me", Battlefield; "Oh buhu so many high ranks". That is multiplayer!

You can't sit in your little playpen and think the game should wrap you cotton, hand you a warm chocolate while it shows you the ropes. You will meet players that are better than you and have played a lot longer than you, ALWAYS - However their rank and skill is never a correlation you should depend on, ever.

There's a matchmaking system in place once players have been seeded and placed within the their skill system, however it's not going all the way down to baby the new players.

If you want safe "Oh-please-don't hurt me, sir" practice against humans? Find someone at your skill level. You want any sort of practice? AI. The AI in this game can be extremely tough and I see people struggle with even an easy enemy, even I did. Learn how to beat that first and move up.

So if want to have your hand held, then stay away from multiplayer. If you can't handle the knocks and scrapes of starting out a competitive multiplayer game like you've had to deal with since the dawn of competitive multiplayer gaming? Stay away from multiplayer. Don't make a fuss about it.

I agree that it doesn't make much of a difference, but I'd rather not have it there at all. In this type of game I don't get any enjoyment from free play time bonuses. My reward for playing is a deeper understanding of the mechanics. Even Call of Duty subverts its own unlock mechanic for competitive play.

Oh I definitely agree, I think the fact that it's there in a competitive multiplayer game is slightly cheesy. However unlike most unlocks you get these days, it's just at a point where it doesn't rustles my jimmies due to how little it effects the course of the battle. Yet I'd still cut it from the game if given the choice.

Fistwell

So I just skimmed parts of this thread and, well, performance issues? Is it worse than the beta? The beta kinda looked like shit on my PC, but it seemed to run ok (on a 670). Had not bothered messing with settings, only played a couple of rounds to see what it felt like. I've actually downloaded the game yesterday, but haven't had a chance to give it a spin.

Kaper

Don't agree with your condescending summary at all.

But he is right. The only way a matchmaking system can seed you properly is if it knows your upper skill boundary. This requires getting your ass handed to you by people that are better and have played longer than you. Additionally, getting owned is never a bad thing because you can go back and watch replays and learn a thing or two.

As a (former) top 10 2v2 ranked arranged team CoH player, I'd like to chime in any say that auto-match is broken and is hampering the enjoyment of the game.

I'm sorry, but a 2v2 with 3 rank 40's and 1 rank 5 is not going to be a fun game. Nor is a game with 2 rank 40's against 2 rank 5-10's.

There's plenty of players in the pool. The game is just doing a shit job of picking fair teams.

I'll also say I'm sick and damn tired of people saying "rank means nothing!". Rank means a lot. It's a direct translation of time spent playing the game. I'd rather play with a rank 40 who has never played anything other than easy to medium AI's than a rank 5 who played a couple real games.

The argument that "we need to find their upper skill ceiling" is also bunk. Any good player who does bigger than 1v1 knows how frustrating it is getting one of these extreme low rankers in your game. They have ZERO business being there. You can test their upper skill without throwing them to the sharks in a way that ruins the game for everyone.

Additionally, getting owned is never a bad thing because you can go back and watch replays and learn a thing or two.

Getting owned in 1v1 is fine, some of the time. Getting owned in 2v2, where you know you just ruined the game for 3 other people, for no other reason than match-maker threw you into an extreme mismatch, is frustrating.

Maybe in some perfect little My Little Pony world everyone would take a deep breath and help the "new guy" to learn the game. In real life, however, he's getting yelled at and mocked for the entirety of the game, and getting curb stomped every time he hits the front line.

elyetis

I'm sorry, but a 2v2 with 3 rank 40's and 1 rank 5 is not going to be a fun game. Nor is a game with 2 rank 40's against 2 rank 5-10's.

There's plenty of players in the pool. The game is just doing a shit job of picking fair teams.
Ok so nothing changed since the first beta then.

Won't touch the multiplayer until i read they finaly made a decent matchmaking.

Won

Sounds like they need to hide the ranks and make it a personal thing if people freak out like that.

Sethos

Banned
Sounds like they need to hide the ranks and make it a personal thing if people freak out like that.

Indeed. I can't believe we go through this rank farce in every single game ever. Especially in FPS games people moan about it all the time.

At rank 8 I beat a level 38 - Oh no, magic.

At rank 12 I got my ass handed to me by a level 2, which was a guy who played the Alpha a metric ton - Oh no, magic.

It's a game where you can get fucking XP from single-player and AI skirmish matches, fuck sake! Rank IS meaningless. People just see that number and suddenly they go into overdrive. Get rid of that number, make people stop just play against their opponent with their defeatist "Oh he's higher rank than me" attitude and we might get a better community.

Acorn

Relative newcomer to the series but why the hell can't I zoom out more to see all my units?

Unit tracking is woefully obtuse in this.

Sethos

Banned
Relative newcomer to the series but why the hell can't I zoom out more to see all my units?

Unit tracking is woefully obtuse in this.

If you want a better situational view, press Numpad 0 - That gives you a fullscreen map.

( There might be another hotkey in the WSAD range but since I use my keyboard to map scroll and WSAD doesn't do that, I usually have my hand on the arrow buttons )

Cool top 10 in 2v2 AT. What was your user name and who was your team mate in CoH1?

We were the Bro's. Can't remember the exact names since we had so many. I think I was BronitoBrossolini under that key.

[EDIT] Here we go:

http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=details&id=87267&st=0#disc
http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=details&id=65424
http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=details&id=63009

Those are 3 games against other top 10-20 players.

You can also find some uploads of us getting whooped by AC spam back before it got the quadruple nerf bat. Axis GR.org squad loved uploading those because we bitched so hard about em. No harm no foul since they all quit or dropped off the top when the nerf bat came :p

Acorn

If you want a better situational view, press Numpad 0 - That gives you a fullscreen map.

( There might be another hotkey in the WSAD range but since I use my keyboard to map scroll and WSAD doesn't do that, I usually have my hand on the arrow buttons )
Ah, thank you.

elyetis

Indeed. I can't believe we go through this rank farce in every single game ever. Especially in FPS games people moan about it all the time.

At rank 8 I beat a level 38 - Oh no, magic.

At rank 12 I got my ass handed to me by a level 2, which was a guy who played the Alpha a metric ton - Oh no, magic.

It's a game where you can get fucking XP from single-player and AI skirmish matches, fuck sake! Rank IS meaningless. People just see that number and suddenly they go into overdrive. Get rid of that number, make people stop just play against their opponent with their defeatist "Oh he's higher rank than me" attitude and we might get a better community.
I am not saying that rank should be what is used to balance multiplayer but it's an easy way to describe what I saw ( in the beta ( no single player ) at least ). Playing with a friend ( both of us rank 2-3 if my memory is right ) against rank 15-20 while at that point we never won a single game outside easy bot; and get oblitarated by them, and that at least 2 of 3 times in a raw can't mean there is a good hidden mmr behind it ( while I do see big battle rank disparity in dota 2 yet definitly see it try to make balanced games ).

Won

Yeah, let's obfuscate the problem instead of fixing it.

That'll make everything better!

Good to see you agree with me.

elyetis said:
I am not saying that rank should be what is used to balance multiplayer but it's an easy way to describe what I saw ( in the beta ( no single player ) at least ). Playing with a friend ( both of us rank 2-3 if my memory is right ) against rank 15-20 while at that point we never won a single game outside easy bot; and get oblitarated by them, and that at least 2 of 3 times in a raw can't mean there is a good hidden mmr behind it ( while I do see big battle rank disparity in dota 2 yet definitly see it try to make balanced games ).

No matter how good or bad the mmr is, 2-3 games is not enough for any system to do it's job.
I mean in Dota 2 I have winning streaks of 10 games and sometimes I get straight up stomped 5 times in the row. It happens.

elyetis

No matter how good or bad the mmr is, 2-3 games is not enough for any system to do it's job.
I mean in Dota 2 I have winning streaks of 10 games and sometimes I get straight up stomped 5 times in the row. It happens.
In dota someone with 3 loss 0 win usually doesn't end up playing against players whith 30 wins-30 loose. It's because few games are not enough for the mmr to really work, that you should almost exclusivly play against players with also very few games at the begining, even more so when you keep loosing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
In dota someone with 3 loss 0 win usually doesn't end up playing against players whith 30 wins-30 loose. It's because few games are not enough for the mmr to really work, that you should almost exclusivly play against players with also very few games at the begining, even more so when you keep loosing.

There might not be enough people queuing that have only played a few games. Unless we have access to the system it's very hard to judge it.

elyetis

There might not be enough people queuing that have only played a few games. Unless we have access to the system it's very hard to judge it.
Then I would like to be able to choose if I prefere a fast mm or a balanced one, I prefere waiting 15 min for a match to have an interesting match than 3-5 min to get raped. If well made it would even allow me to play in single player while it look for opponents.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bummer for everyone involved if you're out there looking for a 2v2, and it finds 2 others (opposing team) of the same skill level, then sees "Well, nobody else out there. Let's grab just whoever the hell" and find someone with a big disparity.

It would be nice to have the option to lock it to "very close" match.

Tak3n

Banned
Thinking back (I am not sure exactly how the matchmaking works) in 2v2 and up I reckon 30% ish have been very evenly matched, 30% have been confortable winners/losers, the other 30% we have been steamrolled...

but of course there are variables, I reckon under 25% of the matches do we ever end up with all the players, quitters are rife, either because people wont surrender, or lagging and get kicked etc...

so the moment CPU hard comes in obviously the parameters change again..

so around 30% sucess with matchmaking I have felt, which is ok I guess

Top Bottom