• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing Ratchet & Clank (PS2) to Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

Burbeting

Banned
In this thread I want to make some comparisons of Ratchet and Clank (PS4) to the original Ratchet and Clank (PS2). I’ll first go through the parts I feel the reboot does better than the original game, and the parts original excels better at.

Before going to the thread, do note that these are just my personal opinions. I’ve played the series since the first game was released more or less, so there is definitely some personal bias and nostalgia, that could have influenced on my opinions. I also note that some of my complaints might be considered nit-picky. But I digress. I also won’t go through the basics of R&C gameplay, so I will assume the reader has played at least one of the two games in comparison here. There will be spoilers to the story for both of them.

I will also note that I haven’t seen the movie that the Reboot was tied into.

---

Areas Reboot does lot better than the original game:

Gameplay

This is basically a given, and it’s one of the core parts that make Ratchet & Clank (PS4) a very good game. The core combat is very refined version of the gameplay that has been updated over the years with all sorts of Quality of Life modifiers. Strafing works like a dream, weapon variety is fun and everything is just so satisfying to use. The system where weapons level up as they are used is still pure genius, as it promotes trying to use the whole arsenal, and not only defaulting to few favorites. Only problem with it is that some of the less used weapons can be rendered useless in later stages, if they are not leveled up at all.

The original game on the other hand is Insomniac’s first try on this formula, and it shows. The gameplay of the original game hasn’t aged as gracefully as the other games in the series. Lack of any real strafing really hurts the game, the only option to use it is to use very clunky Thruster-Pack strafing, which just does not work very well. There also isn’t any weapon leveling up system outside of gold weapon upgrades, which can be mostly used only in New Game +. There is one secret area you can access during initial playthrough for the golden weapon shop, but a first time player is most likely going to miss it by accident.

So yeah. A first try on the gameplay versus 14 years of refinement, it’s pretty easy to see that the Reboot’s core gameplay loop is lot more fun.

Visuals

The original game was a very pretty early-PS2 game, but even it was outclassed by Ratchet 2 & 3 in terms of visual spectacle.

And well… the reboot looks extremely pretty. It’s still one of the best looking PS4 games in terms of pure eye candy.

RCPS4_1_met_train.0.jpg

The way the colours just pop up so brightly, and the beautiful vistas the game gives throughout the game is really great.

The takeback is that the game runs on 30FPS compared to original game’s 60FPS. While this is really unfortunate, the 30FPS is very consistent, I didn’t notice many dips at all during gameplay. This was a definite step up from the last PS3 Ratchet (Into the Nexus), which looked extremely rough in 30FPS with constant dips. It’s easy to give this point to the Reboot.

Overall polish

The Reboot just feels very polished game, it’s clear lot of care went into the game feeling just good. The original PS2 game felt polished too, but not to this level.

---

Areas the Original Game does better that the Reboot:

Quality of Character Writing

This is one of my biggest gripes with the reboot. It seems that the game’s script was heavily tied to the movie released around the same timeframe as the game was, so I cannot say that the game’s writer (TJ Fixman) is solely to blame with the issues I have with the writing of this game. It’s extremely disappointing none the less.

The original game (and arguably 2 & 3) worked as a buddy comedy in terms of writing. Ratchet & Clank were written as foils to each other with good, clashing personalities to play off each other. Ratchet was written as a pretty selfish teenager who doesn’t usually act rationally, while Clank was the ‘voice of reason’ with certain type of naivety that clashed well with Ratchet. This lended itself to lot of funny banter between the two during cut-scenes, and helped to make them both feel more realistic. These two character had only just met, and weren’t necessarily always friends.

A Short example of character banter (from 17 minutes mark until 17.30)

The original game’s Ratchet has been criticized for becoming way too unlikable during the second act of the game. I can see the complaints, and agree that he should have been maybe toned down a little. But it still works in the game, and gives the second act some needed tension.

In comparison, the reboot version of Ratchet & Clank felt very badly written. Ratchet is very typical positive hero, with no actual personality to himself outside of being curious. He lost more or less all of the interesting bits about himself. Clank is more or less the same. He is just very bland and robotic, and the story of the reboot does not even really need his presence at all, which is just bizarre.

With both of the characters just being so bland, their interactions are really boring to follow as well. In the reboot when the two characters meet, they seem to become best friends in just few minutes, and never have any sort of arguments about anything until the end of the game. There is no back-and-forth, just… them stating things to each other, as if they had known each other for 10 years already. It doesn’t work in terms of reboot well at all.

The other characters take a huge hit as well. Captain Qwark is a very boring character in the reboot, definitely his worst iteration out of all Ratchet games. In the original game he is framed very antagonistically, while in the reboot he is more sympathetic. While neither approach isn’t necessarily better, the reboot version in this case isn’t written very well. Chairman Drek doesn’t feel very threatening in the reboot either, although that could be partly due to the plot twist revealed late to the Reboot’s plot. The other note-worthy characters in the reboot are completely forgettable (Does anybody remember anything about the Galatic Rangers? Or that big robot bodyguard Drek had?), while original had lot of funny personalities, even if they only had few minutes of screen-time (Big Al, Helga, Plumber, etc.)

This lack of quality character writing is a big shame, because the characters is one of the big parts of what made the original games feel for charming. The Reboot characterizations just feel very bland in comparison.

Quality of Story Writing

This one is shorter, because in general I don’t think Ratchet games really have ever excelled in plot, and it’s not their focus outside of maybe the Future Saga on PS3. The original PS2 game didn’t have very interesting story, but it was serviceable. Captain Quarks betrayal brought a fun twist to the narrative, even though it could be seen from a mile away by basically anyone. But more than anything, the main plot of the PS2 game helped to strengthen the Character Writing and the banter, which is the more important part of the writing for me anyway.

The Reboot story is somehow still even weaker than the original game, which is strange considering it’s a movie. A movie has some structural demands that make it incompatible with a game (90 minute length versus 8 hours for a game, usually a movie 3-act-structure that a video game does not have to follow, etc.), but it’s still fairly bland story, at least based on what the game shows.

Soundtrack

This is a big problem for myself, personally. The soundtrack in all of the PS2 games were very strong in almost all of the songs. The music had lot of memorable melodies. In the first game the music also plays a central role in building up the atmosphere to all individual levels. It plays very loudly, and is always in the foreground of the soundscape of the game. Lot of the songs composed by David Bergeaud are still memorable to this day. Few examples of both fun, colorful planets and dark, oppressing planets:

Kerwan

Gemlik Base

Orxon

Eudora

In comparison, the reboot soundtrack is extremely bland. It’s not awful or anything, but it lacks any sort of real personality to it. It sounds like a usual movie soundtrack. But bigger problem is how the music just… melds to the background during play. It doesn’t build any atmosphere to the levels themselves, which was a big part of why the original soundtrack was just lot of fun.

Kerwan

Gaspar (IMO the best song in the Reboot OST)

Pokitaru

It’s fine to like the Reboot soundtrack more than the original one, but for me personally, the reboot soundtrack just isn’t as memorable. This is a big problem due to how integral the music was for the original game’s appeal, IMO.

Sterilisation of Atmosphere

This is very heavily YMMV, and might go into the nostalgia goggles/nitpicking territory. But I feel like the reboot is very safe in terms of the atmosphere and general feel of the game.

The original game has an oppressing atmosphere to it that even the next direct sequels (2 & 3) did not seem to retain as well. Lot of the planets in the original game felt intimidating to play in the first playthrough of the game. Part of this is due to the art style and the soundtrack playing to that feel of being in an alien environment. This is especially evident in few of the second and third act levels, Orxon, Gemlik Base and Oltanis.

Orxon, for example is devoid of life outside of seemingly mutated enemies that are out to kill you, unless you react to their attacks. The music in the level (as linked in the soundtrack part above) is very bleak, especially when adding to the art style. The level’s routes are also fairly long, giving the players a very real sense of relief once you finally get to the finish of both of the routes.

Oltanis is another interesting example.

The opening level to game’s third act has you in a ruins of a city against arguably hardest fodder enemies the game has thrown at you until this point (robots that shoot out electicity beams at you). But more than that, the game takes out the Heli-Pack/Thruster Pack during this level, showing you just how much you had relied on Clank’s added mobility abilities. This works especially well in the context of the writing at this point of the game, where Ratchet has only just realised that he has acted fairly selfishly during the course of the game.

Reboot, while being very fun in it’s art style and levels, does not capture this feel in any of it’s levels. The game does try to invoke this with some of it’s later levels:

544340918.jpg

But it’s not as effective due to the soundtrack still being fairly bland, and the level design of this later levels not feeling as interesting than in the brighter, more fun levels.

However, this part is heavily YMMV. I personally enjoyed the original game’s more diverse set of different atmosphere’s to its planets, but the reboot’s consistency might be a better fit for other people. It’s also note-worthy that part of what made some of the levels feel oppressive was how difficult some of them could feel. But that difficulty is partly tied to strafing being missing from the first game, so I wouldn’t give that as a plus.

Other personal disappointments/nit-picks:

I wasn't personally happy how so many of the original planets and areas were completely cut from the game. However, this one is most likely tied to the budget of the game, and the fact it had to abide by the rules set by the movie. I did enjoy how some of the levels were expanded (Gaspar was a nice surprise, for example).

Weapon variety could have used some some new weapons, and not only re-uses from the older games.

Insomniac Museum could have been a little different in terms of implementation.

---

TL;DR

In general, I think that the Reboot is technically the better game than the original, just due to the virtue of having so much more better gameplay and visuals. But all of the other building blocks around that gameplay just feel very shaky. Character writing, general atmosphere and the music are important parts for giving the original PS2 Ratchet games some of their spirit. And I personally feel, that the Reboot is not able to capture that at all, instead going into a lot more bland direction. And that in turn, makes the game very… forgettable, sadly.

---

What are your opinions? Do you completely disagree with the points, or do you maybe have some personal insights?

Totally agree, OP. I enjoyed my first playthrough but as you said, there's less character and it's more bland. Doesn't feel like as much of an adventure as the first title did.

Gitaroo

DF got a tech comparison between the two, also I heard the PS4 version had less than 20 staffs working on it, that was why they can sell it at a low price at launch because the production budget is significantly lower than what a normal PS4 games would cost.

I think both games are similar in quality, but both are below a stardand good R&C game. (2, 3, ToD and ACiT)

I got really dissapoint with reboot's storyline and how the game is so much focused in action sequences (with barely plataforming and exploration sections). Yeah, the action on it is fucking awesome, miles away better than the original, but it's the only thing you actually get. There's some stuff that also make it feels unpolished, like Ratchet dying after diving for 5 seconds in underwater.

Still a good game, though, but I wish we could get an actual high-budget R&C game. A Crack in Time was one of the best games I've played.

Weiss

Banned
You nail a lot of it down.

Really what kills the remake for me is that the writing is so subpar for Ratchet & Clank. Ratchet in 1 was a jerk but he had a character arc. New guy starts bright eyed hero and ends the same way.

That and it is so tiny and linear even in comparison to the PS3 trilogy.

jennetics

Great writeup! I bought R&C PS4 for $10 during Black Friday and I really enjoyed it, but had a lot of the same problems as you did. Being a tie-in to the movie made the story seem almost constricted. Plus, the constant "this scene is blocked from recording" pop ups during cutscenes were annoying as hell (though, maybe I could have just turned that off from the PS settings).

The gameplay was great, the writing was (understandably) a bummer, and the graphics were beautiful. Oh and the soundtrack! I'm so glad you brought that up! When I clicked on the links for the original soundtrack, it immediately came flooding back to me. I couldn't replicate that feeling with the new soundtrack, but that's most likely my nostalgia speaking.

Finally, I hated the damn trespasser puzzles in the reboot. Always broke up really fun bits with tedious laser nonsense. Maybe it was like that as well in the PS2 game? Idk, I probably blocked that out.

Burbeting

Banned
Finally, I hated the damn trespasser puzzles in the reboot. Always broke up really fun bits with tedious laser nonsense. Maybe it was like that as well in the PS2 game? Idk, I probably blocked that out.

Tresspasser is in the original. I appreciated that the reboot allows you to bypass them completely, made New Game+ runs go much more smoothly.

Great write up. While I am very thankful the remake exists as it brought a lot of new players in to the series, I see it as the weakest mainline game, mostly for the reasons you discussed. One thing you didn't bring up were the Clank sections which have always been hit or miss really. Here however, I feel like they are at their worst simply because they are so boring to play through. In past games, these sections get in the way of the core Ratchet gameplay but don't particularly outstay their welcome or occasionally even act as refreshing side sections (CiT & Ratchet 2.)

In the remake I feel like they commit the greatest sin or being completely and utterly dull. The Nebula one is OK, since it's very reminiscent of the original game's section and introduces it well enough. The latter sections though take place in a boring environment with puzzles I feel are too easy and rely on being frustrating over complex. Don't even get me started on the auto runner shit. Along with the ship sections, this seriously makes me never want to replay the remake again, and this is coming from someone who practically replays the entire series yearly at this point.

Great music choices btw OP, Ratchet 1 has the best Soundtrack.

I actually really enjoy the Trespasser in both the original and the remake. Probably the only gadget puzzle in the series I truly enjoy solving each playthrough.

VariantX

Well, OP you definitely nailed down the absolute single issue I had with the remake outside of the 30 fps vs 60 fps of the old games. The soundtrack. Its just there really, nothing else I can say about it.

The reboot was the first R&C game I played through (aside from a bit of Tools of Destruction) so I wasn't aware of all these changes. Damn, the original dynamic sounds much more interesting for sure. But having gone in basically fresh, I didn't mind the story in the reboot. Nothing amazing, but not offensively bad or anything.

The gameplay and graphics were amazing so I had a good time with it.

Undrey

I agree with everything here. The story, while it had its charming parts, was very by the books and felt like it had to be restrained for the movie. I didn't really expect Crack in Time levels of story but some more personality would have been good. I really liked the atmosphere in some of the levels of the remake (the sewer planet was really good), I feel like it invoked a similar feeling to the original's level.

I really hope the next game is the final game in the series and finishes the story from Into the Nexus.

Speaking of ItN, even it had more personality and it was a shorter. I sincerely believe the movie stifled the game's writing.

rjc571

Banned
I played the reboot at a Best Buy demo station for 5 minutes and I nearly threw up at the blurry low-fps visuals. I think I'll stick with the original thx

BigEmil

There were less bad Clank puzzles in the original so i say PS2 original is better and also higher fps to boot

If I were to replay one I'd go for the PS2 game.

As much as the gameplay and visuals are improved on PS4, the story and characters were butchered. They turned it into a bland childrens cartoon and removed anything remotely interesting.
Don't think I'll ever revisit it.

Burbeting

Banned
The Clank puzzles were bad, but that is somewhat of a consistent in the whole series, only time they felt good was in A Crack in Time. The second portion inside the warbot factory did run for far too long, though.

evolve9

Agreed, the reboot's gameplay is fantastic and really addictive (I played through it 3 times to get the platinum which is something I rarely do) but everything connected to the game's story and characters is a big downgrade from the earlier installments. I blame the fact that it's a movie tie-in for the shoddy story and I certainly hope that future R&C games don't take after the remake in this regard.

I agree entirely. Still loved the game (maybe my 2016 GOTY) though. One thing that really stood out to me, though, is just how much the Insomniac Museum SUCKED. No interactivity at all, really just nothing interesting! Compare that to the one in Up Your Arsenal especially and its like night and day.

B33

Banned
My issue with the Ratchet and Clank reboot is they siphoned all of the personality from the characters and pitch black humor of the series in order to make them more palatable to a general audience. It's boring, but refined and pretty to look at while playing.

Keep in mind that Going Commando is one of my favorite games of all time.

KORNdoggy

i haven't liked the writing in a single ratchet game. insomniac aren't very good at it imo. and i say that as a broad stroke statement. resistance, fuse, ratchet and clank, sunset overdrive...they just don't write compelling characters. so in regards to ratchet and clank it's a throw away aspect of the series. which kind of just leaves gameplay and visuals which are so far beyond that of the PS2 game it's hardly even worth comparing them. i prefer the new games atmosphere too, achievable thanks entirely to the nicer visuals, again making the originals bland in comparison. sounds i kind of agree though. them having to stick closely to the film assets made for a more cinematic/movie like score, but i didn't find it by any means bad. unlike the dialogue and writing which is atrocious.

they've done the pixar level visuals things superbly, and it plays amazingly, now they just need the pixar writers to tell a good story with good characters i actually root for and enjoy listening to.

it's the one aspect i'm worried about when it comes to spiderman on PS4. i know the game will look great and play well...but the story? the dialogue? the script? i'm not so confident.

I'll have to share the comments about the soundtrack to my buddy.

His name is in the credits and wrote probably half of the music for this game.

LordofPwn

I agree with a lot of your points.

Overall I enjoyed the remake more than the original, GC still my favorite, UYA, ACiT coming right after.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Agreed entirely.

Not surprised that the collective industry blew their collective load over the visuals and action when the reboot released last year, but was disappointed that almost no one seemed to really discuss the massive downgrade that hit the characterization, motives, and writing. Though being so entangled with the film, it is easily argued that discussion was merely re-allocated.

thenexus6

Way better controls, terrible soundtrack

R&C has one of my all time fav soundtracks, remake was just generic animated movie music.

Croash

Didn't the plumber guy you run into in the PS4 Ratchet and Clank basically say that it's happening? Said something to the effect of "See you when they remake the next game!!"

No that character only says
"See you in the next reboot!"
most likely as a self aware joke for being a
game based on a movie, based on a game.

I loved playing Ratchet PS4, but I had hoped it would be the definitive edition of Ratchet PS2, that I wouldn't ever have to look back.

The movie didn't help it.

As a teenager I wouldn't have loved the duo so much if they hadn't received proper attention for dialogue and character development. It'd be "just another cool platformer".

Of course with today's context, being a platformer makes it super awesome since it's rare.

It was polished. It was fun. It respected the original game. It was full of nostalgic elements. It's one of the most beautiful games I've played.

Whatever plot and music shortcomings it had can't sour the experience. But man, I wish they hadn't left part of Ratchet 1 behind.

I'm still super happy about the fact that it was a remake,always thought it was reboot like Tomb Raider's. Didn't expect original worlds and level designs at all.

Sawneeks

Banned
Great thread, Burb! Completely agree with your comparisons, the QOL improvements make the Reboot a better game to play but the Original's atmosphere and characters make that one a better game to experience. Hopefully if they do decide to continue with the series they can work without the confines of the movie hovering over them, although I think the atmosphere issues are something that have plagued the series since the Future Saga.

The other note-worthy characters in the reboot are completely forgettable (Does anybody remember anything about the Galatic Rangers? Or that big robot bodyguard Drek had?), while original had lot of funny personalities, even if they only had few minutes of screen-time (Big Al, Helga, Plumber, etc.)

This lack of quality character writing is a big shame, because the characters is one of the big parts of what made the original games feel for charming. The Reboot characterizations just feel very bland in comparison.

Quality of Story Writing

This one is shorter, because in general I don’t think Ratchet games really have ever excelled in plot, and it’s not their focus outside of maybe the Future Saga on PS3. The original PS2 game didn’t have very interesting story, but it was serviceable. Captain Quarks betrayal brought a fun twist to the narrative, even though it could be seen from a mile away by basically anyone. But more than anything, the main plot of the PS2 game helped to strengthen the Character Writing and the banter, which is the more important part of the writing for me anyway.

The Reboot story is somehow still even weaker than the original game, which is strange considering it’s a movie. A movie has some structural demands that make it incompatible with a game (90 minute length versus 8 hours for a game, usually a movie 3-act-structure that a video game does not have to follow, etc.), but it’s still fairly bland story, at least based on what the game shows.

I know you jokingly told me the other day you don't want to acknowledge the movie's existence but I think if you gave it a watch it would clear up why it seems so odd that the Reboot's plot is weak. The movie's plot is incredibly boring, predictable, and by-the-numbers but the main take away I got from it was that it was very safe. They essentially took the characterizations and plot from the games and condensed them down into something that the average audience might appreciate and in the process removed what made the characters memorable in the first place. Instead of having the memorable characters you mentioned ( Helga, the Plumber, Big Al, etc. ) you instead got walking tropes that are there to simply get the plot moving because the Generic strong second-in-command evil henchman is much safer than the Training Robot who likes to berate Ratchet for everything he does. This is then reflected in the game, although I don't know which came first; the movie's plot or the game's plot, making it harder to really say which had the most influence.

I do think if they did not worry about being so tied in to the Movie it would have been a better experience.

Burbeting

Banned
I know you jokingly told me the other day you don't want to acknowledge the movie's existence but I think if you gave it a watch it would clear up why it seems so odd that the Reboot's plot is weak. The movie's plot is incredibly boring, predictable, and by-the-numbers but the main take away I got from it was that it was very safe. They essentially took the characterizations and plot from the games and condensed them down into something that the average audience might appreciate and in the process removed what made the characters memorable in the first place. Instead of having the memorable characters you mentioned ( Helga, the Plumber, Big Al, etc. ) you instead got walking tropes that are there to simply get the plot moving because the Generic strong second-in-command evil henchman is much safer than the Training Robot who likes to berate Ratchet for everything he does. This is then reflected in the game, although I don't know which came first; the movie's plot or the game's plot, making it harder to really say which had the most influence.

I do think if they did not worry about being so tied in to the Movie it would have been a better experience.

Maybe watching the movie would bring a better context, but honestly... with how awful the reception to it has been, I think I'll save my time for something else.

data

Since I already expected the characters and writing to be downgraded before going in, my only complaint was that the game was just too easy. And you can't switch between the helipack/jetpack. I don't get why they wouldn't let you do that. And the extras don't save when you exit out of the game.

Vidal

The reboot was one of the very few games I ever replayed right after my first playthrough (actually I finished it 3 times in a row, yes, call me crazy...). I really really enjoyed it. Got so much out of it that I think that the launch price was a steal.

:)

I liked it a lot, and didn't really like the writing in the original. I don't think the writing in either are master pieces. I didn't find Ratchet and Clanks narrative's to be especially engaging until R&C3, I also liked A Crack in Time.

Otherwise, it was pretty throwaway, but still good. I don't think it's fair to say that the sequel has been sapped of atmosphere, it just has a different atmosphere. I think many of the more bright, and colourful levels have much more appealing and cinematic structures, like Metropolis.

GonzoCR

The original is one of my favorite games of all time (even over GC and UYA) so this game never really had a chance. It's still a great game and one of my favorites last year, but the original for me is still better for the reasons outlined in the OP. I don't even mind the lack of strafing that much, get used to it quickly enough.

You're pretty spot on with what I think of the game OP. I don't feel the need to say as much as I expected to because you cover a lot of my main thoughts well. I've always summed up the game like this.
Is this a good reimagining of the original Ratchet & Clank game? Yes. Is it a perfect incarnation of its 2002 counterpart? Not necessarily. They both have particular things that they do better than each other, but the reimagining is certainly much more comfortable to play through than the original because of the updated combat mechanics.

I didn't find Qwark to be boring in the game like you did. He was by far the "most fine" rebooted character to me.

I really like the atmosphere of Quartu in the screencap you posted, I just wish there were more combat sections that took place outside. All that cool atmosphere is short lived considering you just go into the facility after one encounter.

While I'm obviously disappointed that they cut a lot of those planets, I thought the reboot did a great job with recapturing the atmosphere of most of the "darker" locations that did stay in.

The exception being Batallia, but it looks good anyway being snowy instead of rainy. But I'm also salty that they cut one of my favorite planets from the original (Hoven) which was the OG snowy planet in the first game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Maybe watching the movie would bring a better context, but honestly... with how awful the reception to it has been, I think I'll save my time for something else.

I mean, I think the character choices won't make you happy (thought rathet is kind of more of a jerk to clank in the film)... but generally, the fans have enjoyed the movie, or at the least, are way more favorable to it.

Anyways I talked about this on the Insomniac discord but I think you have plenty of valid points. That said, I think RCPS4 is a game we are so extremely proud of, it's polished to hell and we are really happy with how it turned out. Hopefully it continues to sell well, and we get the opportunity in the future to tackle more Ratchet & Clank with even bigger ambitions

The first game is basically Spyro with guns. The reboot is your standard TPS with some platforming. TBT I still like the first game more.

Top Bottom