• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Codeblue

Game mods are more than likely going to be the way forward, and that's fine as long as you have competent staff.

Honestly, if Leffen didn't say anything mid set, they should've just let it go, but I don't fault him for running the set back. Not sure why Chu agreed to it though.

In any case, this is gonna mar the tournament and they're rightfully getting torn up on Twitter now.

Wonder if they'll try to make it right like Choi did when they used the wrong version of SF4 at NCR.

Game mods are more than likely going to be the way forward, and that's fine as long as you have competent staff.

Honestly, if Leffen didn't say anything mid set, they should've just let it go, but I don't fault him for running the set back. Not sure why Chu agreed to it though.

In any case, this is gonna mar the tournament and they're rightfully getting torn up on Twitter now.

Wonder if they'll try to make it right like Choi did when they used the wrong version of SF4 at NCR.

More than likely they would have DQ'd him if he refused to replay the set.

God those S2J / Plup games were so hype.

Codeblue

If that's the case, they're super lucky it happened to someone like Chu. Anyone else would've forced the DQ and watched the tournament burn.

Onikaan

It's unfair to blame Leffen.

You have to play by the rules and Chu knows it. That's probably why he agreed to a rematch. Consistency. No one wants to be the guy that won a set with UCF off when every other set had it on.

It's unfair to blame Leffen.

You have to play by the rules and Chu knows it. That's probably why he agreed to a rematch. Consistency. No one wants to be the guy that won a set with UCF off when every other set had it on.

Vish said that he noticed his sets didn't have it on, so

top player privilege tbh

Mods are dumb because they're mods, and also because they will inevitably lead to mistakes like this

emb

Chu had no reason to agree to it. But props to him for trying. I just wish Leffen would have won the whole thing after that, for max controversy.

Onikaan

Vish said that he noticed his sets didn't have it on, so

top player privilege tbh

Mods are dumb because they're mods, and also because they will inevitably lead to mistakes like this

Really?

Well that sucks. Can't defend that.

If they don't have 100% consistency across the board then the tournament is illegitimate.

Onikaan

Im not watching. What exactly happened? Did leffen ask for a rematch?

Apparently Shine 2017 have opted to use the UCF mod. It wasn't turned on during Chu vs Lef. Chu won. A rematch was called (Leffen said he noticed something was off, although I'm not sure if that's the only reason the mistake was noticed) and both players agreed and Leffen won.

This was in losers so Chu is out.

peter0611

I expected Mango to at least win a game vs Hbox using Falco, but there was no doubt in my mind that Hbox would win the set.

Edit: This next match may be a wash unless S2J summons his inner N0ne. Although he has been playing phenomenally this weekend too.

Codeblue

Damn, S2J playing out of his mind.

The way Shroomed played against Wizzy yesterday makes me wonder why M2K doesn't use Marth for that matchup, especially since his Sheik has been having hiccups against Falcons lately.

Come on S2J, keep the fire alive, beat Mang0s ass. Even if he loses, his run was so fucking amazing.

Edit - Damn, rip s2j but he played out of his freaking mind this tournament. Good stuff.

I can't believe mang0 literally threw away his stock last set, pretty much cost him the reset bracket and now this. S2J DIDN'T DIE FOR THIS.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was only half-watching watching Shine and missed the controversy, but if they did the replay before Chu advanced I don't really see a problem. There need to be rules for these situations and those rules need to be followed, so if that's what happened then I support it.

TOs still need to do better in making sure the setups are right though, it falls back on them. These sort of issues rare outside pools and non-existent in top 8.

The fact that Top 8 players could tell when the Controller fix wasn't in place and requested it, means that the Controller fix is a pretty good thing IMO.

GamerJM

Banned
Last night I was at work all night, and I had a feeling I was missing a great top 8. When I got home I watched the VODs until I passed out and finished watching them in the morning and I was 100% right. M2K vs. Shroomed was amazing, Chu vs. Leffen was complete bullshit but at least we got two really entertaining sets out of it if nothing else.

Does anyone know a good way to find a local scene besides Facebook? I just moved and Smashboards isn't helping me much here.

Maybe there just isn't one near me.

emb

Does anyone know a good way to find a local scene besides Facebook? I just moved and Smashboards isn't helping me much here.

Mine used to go mostly through Smashboards, but pretty much all migrated to Facebook around 2012 or 13ish. Even if you're not on Facebook, probably easiest just to make an account for Smash. Still, many of the FB groups and event pages are public, so you may be able to find a first event to go to without signing up, then ask the people that you meet about things.

Might also have luck getting leads by searching for your state or region's power rankings, or looking for videos directly.

YouTube or Smash.GG for PR vids / ranks, and maybe you'll find something there.

Facebook or Discord is pretty much the way it's done nowadays.
Smashboards is so rare to find actual up to date, relevant info on local events and such.

Thanks for the advice guys. The tab on the Smash Reddit seems to be my best bet, but the closest scene is still in Philadelphia, which is a little rough for me distance wise. I'll look into it more when they let me into the Facebook group.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mango destroyed Amsa's first stock in like 5 seconds, and then Amsa turned around and ran the rest of the match without losing a stock.

Team AZ just 3-0'd team Mango? Wtf?

Anth0ny

Mango destroyed Amsa's first stock in like 5 seconds, and then Amsa turned around and ran the rest of the match without losing a stock.

Team AZ just 3-0'd team Mango? Wtf?

jesus christ that amsa game was unreal

yoshi is legit. not a gimmick. amsa's ftilt tech chases were CRAZY.

Codeblue

Glad Toph called that out. "This is the worst Fox ditto I've ever commentated".

Sloppy Melee, super entertaining.

Edit: ChuBallz is a surprisingly solid team.

Top Bottom