• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Daouzin

Was that article written pre-$500K?

Not sure, someone just posted it in the AZ Melee group so I just assumed it was new, it could be old. The numbers aren't super accurate. Melee players have received a lot more then $400,000 if you counted all the tournaments since the game came out, it's more the sentiment that I biasedly approve of.

you know, I wonder if Nintendo is ever gonna throw a pot bonus towards Smash 4 (it would be nice if they did for Melee too, but lol)

Daouzin

you know, I wonder if Nintendo is ever gonna throw a pot bonus towards Smash 4 (it would be nice if they did for Melee too, but lol)

Yeah, they really need to do something like 10k for Smash 4 and 5k for Melee at EVO. The fact that they haven't is pretty ridiculous.

Videoneon

Like 40 people. A lot of top players didn't go despite the 250$ pot bonus the tournament organizers added.

Super weird. My goal is to get on the top 10 PR for AZ before EVO. Haven't been active until Sandstorm, but at this tournament I beat 11th twice and 12th I 2-0ed in bracket and I placed higher than 9th. The only guy I lost to is Tai, 4th in the AZ PR.

Was happy about the tournament. A few weeks ago my fox couldn't beat these Shieks and my Ganon definitely couldn't either.

It was extra weird because weeklies get like 50-90 people for Melee pretty regularly.

MeleeGAF holding it down.

Good shit Daouzin! How do you see your character play splitting - thinking it'll be mostly Fox or roughly 50/50 Fox Ganon?

Mayhem was pretty great tonight. Westballz (W) v Mango (L) grand finals, Mango reset it (after losing TO FICTION IN WINNERS wtf) and eventually took it. Really turned on the super sayain in the end. Looks like he's finally getting back to that 2 time evo champ form.

What's more exciting is seeing players like Westballz and Fiction catching up. Westballz is playing so much better after he's picking the places his ridiculous swaged out tech skill moments come in to play. So excited to see where the game keeps growing to.

Fiction is like 11-20 on MIOM's ranking, and put Mew2King into losers at Do You Fox Wit It. Say what one will about the flaws of MIOM's ranking system, but the guy's damn good. The more shocking thing is that his Marth is so competent so quickly (I think he only started playing Marth last year?), especially after kinda disappearing after Apex 2015.

Daouzin

Good shit Daouzin! How do you see your character play splitting - thinking it'll be mostly Fox or roughly 50/50 Fox Ganon?

Honestly, roughly 70/30 in Fox's favor but that's mostly because tournament pools is all about getting my Fox as much experience as I can. Against better players I still use Ganon unless they use Shiek. Ganon's my boy and a lot of good fox and falco players don't have a lot of experience against Ganon, if I didn't have years of Ganon experience I wouldn't have gotten out of pools at Sandstorm. I will be relying on Fox from now on, but for certain play styles and certain match ups I'm more confident in Ganon.

I can beat plenty of good/decent Peachs, jigglyies Samuses and Marths with Ganon. Especially a marth that can chain grab species well, I'd rather use Ganon. The only match ups I hate with Ganon are Shieks, Captain Falcons and campy Peachs. Falcos and Foxes can be annoying but anyone below my skill level I can confidently beat their species using Ganon 95% of the time. Players that are better than me the species are hard, but they're usually better players than me, so I don't mind losing or the match up.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Fiction is like 11-20 on MIOM's ranking, and put Mew2King into losers at Do You Fox Wit It. Say what one will about the flaws of MIOM's ranking system, but the guy's damn good. The more shocking thing is that his Marth is so competent so quickly (I think he only started playing Marth last year?), especially after kinda disappearing after Apex 2015.

Oh most definitely, I've watched through almost all of his SSS runs and whatnot through the last year or so, he's definitely on the come up. Just didn't see his marth actually taking a best of 5 off of Mango is all. It's very exciting though to see more people rise up to the top 5 level on any given day. It just seems the any given day is coming around more and more.

Daouzin

Oh most definitely, I've watched through almost all of his SSS runs and whatnot through the last year or so, he's definitely on the come up. Just didn't see his marth actually taking a best of 5 off of Mango is all. It's very exciting though to see more people rise up to the top 5 level on any given day. It just seems the any given day is coming around more and more.

Yeah, as lame as it is, I think Leffen breaking through was sort of the death of the gods era. I think people thought he was joining them, but instead he was bringing them down.

So many players are challenging their status that there really isn't an Olympia anymore. Just a lot of really good players. I think Mango and Armada have the potential to make it a top 2 or maybe top 3 with PPMD, but M2K and Leffen and Hungrybox are just too inconsistent, I'd like to see Westballz become the next God level player.

However as I type that I'm thinking how much I'd love to be proven wrong in these next few months.

JediLink

My flights for BAM7 are booked! That's the major tournament in Australia if you forgot. I'm going to own Mango and Leffen, you guys just wait.

Daouzin

My flights for BAM7 are booked! That's the major tournament in Australia if you forgot. I'm going to own Mango and Leffen, you guys just wait.

Good Luck!!!

What's a big tournament happening this weekend? Don't think I'll have a chance to play much, but I'm down to watch some streams.

Do we know where Press Start is going to be streamed? It might say in that Reddit link but it's blocked at work for me so I can't see.

Anth0ny

Smash on tap is tonight. Toronto melee tournament + lots of alcohol. Think smashed at the foundry. I may or may not be there.

I'll post stream link when it starts.... Should be in 2 hours or so.

Anth0ny

Stream is live over at even matchup gaming. I'd link the stream but I'm on my phone and don't know how.

Top toronto players are here including n0ne, weon x, unknown522 and kirbykaze

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This commentary.

And n0ne in grand finals from winners, awesome. Kirbykaze kind of gave it to him though.

Super Battlefield Bros.

Daouzin

Someone in the AZ Melee facebook group posted this survey question and wants a lot of people to answer it.

"Who do you think is going to win EVO?"
http://strawpoll.me/4309195/r

The players you expect people to choose are being chosen, but Leffen seems higher than I'd expect.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thumb isn't bandaged anymore. Played an hour of Melee and about 30 minutes of PM without any problems. Can finally start practicing stuff again. My wavelands somehow improved while I wasn't playing, but my OOS stuff I was practicing has gone to crap.

Oh, and what's up with this. Is this just a Falco thing? A 20XX thing? I've never seen it before and didn't know it was possible. I have no idea how I managed to meteor cancel it.

http://gfycat.com/ThreadbareVacantAndeancat

Shimesaba

Oh, and what's up with this. Is this just a Falco thing? A 20XX thing? I've never seen it before and didn't know it was possible. I have no idea how I managed to meteor cancel it.

http://gfycat.com/ThreadbareVacantAndeancat

Fox and Falco's dthrows are meteors, they'll do that if you get a grab close enough to the ledge. It's usually not a very strong option because the timing for wall teching it is the same as the timing for doing a normal techroll, and of course you can also meteor cancel it.

I can't dig up a timestamp right now, but iirc Hax got a ko on Armada with ledge dthrow at Justice 4.

sinxtanx

Revelation 2 this weekend featuring all games

Reddit post with hella links

Melee, Sm4sh and maybe 64 (idunno) will be on http://www.twitch.tv/mvg_league
PM will be on http://www.twitch.tv/AZProjectMelee

MVG
TujVeqp.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, Revelations 2 seems to be a stream of M2K teaching Cactaur how to play Sheik.

Something hype in the background though.

Edit: Neat, Cactaur is actually picking up Sheik, explains why him and M2K were working on it.

Went 2-23 against my brother today, but in fairness to myself, I wasn't really trying to win after the first 2-3 matches. Just practicing whatever. Still, I feel so atrocious at this game. It's so rare to actually feel like I make progress.

Videoneon

So, Revelations 2 seems to be a stream of M2K teaching Cactaur how to play Sheik.

Something hype in the background though.

Edit: Neat, Cactaur is actually picking up Sheik, explains why him and M2K were working on it.

Went 2-23 against my brother today, but in fairness to myself, I wasn't really trying to win after the first 2-3 matches. Just practicing whatever. Still, I feel so atrocious at this game. It's so rare to actually feel like I make progress.

wuuuuuuut

Cactuar is picking up Sheik? How many mains does the dude have? He started off as Marth, now Fox, and I even remember seeing him play as Falcon once in doubles.

Any idea which one his primary will be?

good luck on the Melee grind though =)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wuuuuuuut

Cactuar is picking up Sheik? How many mains does the dude have? He started off as Marth, now Fox, and I even remember seeing him play as Falcon once in doubles.

Any idea which one his primary will be?

good luck on the Melee grind though =)

I didn't get the impression from his interview that he intended to drop Fox for Sheik, but he didn't really say what his plans were. For now I doubt he'll move away from Fox as his main.

It's not really surprising when great players are able to play a lot of characters though. I kind of agree with Axe's comment about how competence with many characters demonstrates how well a person actually understands the game. It means you have a very strong understanding of the matchups. Granted, his comment was in regard to people relying on character jank in PM instead of actual "skill" to win matches (i.e., "fighting the character" vs "fighting the player") but I think the majority of good-to-great Melee players could play all the top tier characters (and maybe some others) with decent competency.

semisonic

Banned
So I'm a local PM player at the RIT scene(been in secret training for months after going 2-2 in tourney before I learned to l-cancel) and main a hypebeast ganon in the vein of bizarroflame
except bad tho
and a slightly less hype-reliant falcon. I have very strong combo game with both in pm, though I generally sacrifice defensive options for more chances to attack, and am very good with basic tech and extremely compotent in reads and pressure based rushdown. I'm trying to develop a melee game, what with the pm scene dying out in my region, but I'm not sure who to give up for the initial learning period out of the 2. Could a falcon or ganon main(or anyone familiar with the characters or matchup in general) outline the basic gameplay differences between pm and melee, and give me a bit of a primer on the matchups vs high tiers for each?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm a local PM player at the RIT scene(been in secret training for months after going 2-2 in tourney before I learned to l-cancel) and main a hypebeast ganon in the vein of bizarroflame
except bad tho
and a slightly less hype-reliant falcon. I have very strong combo game with both in pm, though I generally sacrifice defensive options for more chances to attack, and am very good with basic tech and extremely compotent in reads and pressure based rushdown. I'm trying to develop a melee game, what with the pm scene dying out in my region, but I'm not sure who to give up for the initial learning period out of the 2. Could a falcon or ganon main(or anyone familiar with the characters or matchup in general) outline the basic gameplay differences between pm and melee, and give me a bit of a primer on the matchups vs high tiers for each?

I don't know that I'm good enough to offer anything worthwhile, but you might find that you need to be more defensive with those characters in Melee than in PM. Both are worse in Melee due them receiving some useful buffs in PM, more so Ganon than Falcon IMO.

In terms of gameplay differences, the two feel slightly different but are similar enough you shouldn't have much trouble adjusting. The main thing for me is turn-arounds, they feel/work different between the games. I'd say tech like pivoting is a lot more important in Melee than PM as a result. And of course, if you're reliant on any Brawl tech you will need to get used to not having that available. PM also feels more lenient in terms of inputs, maybe it's just differences in IASA.

Jumpsquat timing is also slightly different due to PM's one frame physics delay. Most characters have one frame tighter short hop timing in Melee, and that one frame also impacts wavedashing. Ganondorf is one of the exceptions, his jumpsquat was altered in PM, I think it is actually longer in Melee.

emb

The main difference I've noticed with Falcon is just that Raptor Boost in PM becomes a valid recovery option. This is not the case in Melee. So in Melee, you'll be a little more already-dead when your CF is knocked off stage.

Ganon loses is side B choke move. In Melee it doesn't hit through shields or setup a tech chase. Way worse all around. And he doesn't have his float/reflect thing from 3.5 either, of course.

They probably also have a ton of less apparent, more important, more fundamental changes. Stuff like frames of lag after moves, knockback, percent dealt, etc. Both are worse in Melee for sure, but CF is the better of the two, and closer to his PM self.

Also, I very much agree with PM being more input lenient. Not sure what it is exactly changes. But there are things I can barely do or not do in Melee, then I try in PM and they just work.

Tripon

You can buffer inputs in PM that you can't in Melee. Then add in the more forgiving frame window for most moves, and PM is generally a more easier to execute game to play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can buffer inputs in PM that you can't in Melee. Then add in the more forgiving frame window for most moves, and PM is generally a more easier to execute game to play.

Is the buffer actually different if you don't enable the game-wide one? For most things it just feels like attacks have more IASA. Doing off stage dairs as Falcon led to some SDs when I was first transitioning from PM, for example, because the jump wouldn't come out like I was used to. Don't know if it's because you can buffer the jump during the attack, or because dair has more IASA frames in PM.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They will probably mention Evo for Smash 4 and congratulate the its winner, but they will probably refuse to acknowledge Melee's existence just like they did with Apex.

Top Bottom