• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

They will probably mention Evo for Smash 4 and congratulate the its winner, but they will probably refuse to acknowledge Melee's existence just like they did with Apex.

hey, at least we can count on Bill Trinen to tweet about both!

inb4 he's fired for real Kappa

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Speaking of entrants, we're in progress of setting up the first Melee tourney in 7 years here.

Only real problem is that we're doing in another fighting game convention so it's in the south which isn't the most accessible (and for some reason most of the players are in the north).

Hoping to reach a staggering 15 entrants!

emb

Speaking of entrants, we're in progress of setting up the first Melee tourney in 7 years here.

Only real problem is that we're doing in another fighting game convention so it's in the south which isn't the most accessible (and for some reason most of the players are in the north).

Hoping to reach a staggering 15 entrants!
Nice. Great to hear about Melee going on everywhere.

Where are you at?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Nice. Great to hear about Melee going on everywhere.

Where are you at?
Israel. Nintendo is pretty much non-existent here (and videogames, especially consoles aren't extremely popular in general) so there wasn't even a big scene way back when.
But I think if we can reach a community of 30 or so people that'd be decent for a place this small.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like every month I see comments about how impressive the presentation the stream is for the local here. Pretty neat.

Not Melee, but it's a sample how nifty their work is. Not sure it's final, I know they have changed and improved it with each month.

Rf6NWEk.jpg

Wish I could go more often, missed it this month. Hopefully I'll have my schedule worked out soon though. And it looks like with school being out they are getting more entries. Hit 45 for Melee, 49 for PM, and 63 for Smash 4.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thought it was over. Alex19 was looking good against Leffen in game 2. Difference in the game was basically those missed shine spikes.

And game 3. So close to winning that one.

Lucumo

It's never over.

And yeah, it was rather close. Hoping S2J will show some awesomeness against Hugs like he did against Rainbow.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
S2J with the up b KO. I think that move is better than it gets credit for, situationally. But you definitely can't be predictable with it.

Lucumo

Spud lost against Chillin, too bad. I always hope Marths would use counter a little bit more often, or at least once a twice a round.

btw: I really like this crowd.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I need to learn to use Y to jump. I am a dirty X using peasant and I want to change my ways, but no matter how much I practice using Y when I actually start playing and not thinking specifically about what button I'm pressing on the controller, I go back to X.

Might need to order a triwing screwdriver, maybe I can remove the button.

Also wondered about learning R instead of L, but I don't think that really matters.

emb

I need to learn to use Y to jump. I am a dirty X using peasant and I want to change my ways, but no matter how much I practice using Y when I actually start playing and not thinking specifically about what button I'm pressing on the controller, I go back to X.

Might need to order a triwing screwdriver, maybe I can remove the button.

Also wondered about learning R instead of L, but I don't think that really matters.
My only thing with the shoulder buttons, is I feel like I should use one for shield and one for wavedashing/landing, so that wavedash OoS feels more natural. I haven't really been able to get in the habit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My only thing with the shoulder buttons, is I feel like I should use one for shield and one for wavedashing/landing, so that wavedash OoS feels more natural. I haven't really been able to get in the habit.

Wavedash OoS with one button isn't too hard. Just practice not pressing the trigger all the way when you shield so all you have to do to wavedash is jump and then fully press it.

Went to a thrift store with the idea of getting a small, portable CRT for Melee/PM. Something with a VCR I could strip out and replace with a Wii would be great. They actually had a bunch of bigger HD CRTs though, including a couple Sony WEGAs. KV-30HS420 and 32HS420. Trying to decide if I want to get one (probably the 4:3 32") to replace my current CRT, but I'm not sure about the input lag. Comments around the internet seem to be all over the place, some say it's negligible and others say it's noticeable. But nobody is ever specific about what they are playing/using, and I haven't found any measurements.

Got kind of competent at this after practicing it a little.

http://gfycat.com/WelcomeGorgeousBlackandtancoonhound

It's probably useless outside style though. On the other hand, this is more useful.

http://gfycat.com/ParallelMeanAustrianpinscher

But man, it's hard to do consistently. Seems frame perfect? This is the best I did with them the whole time I was trying, usually didn't get that many that close together.
S2J needs to learn to do that so he might actually have some edgeguard options.

Been mostly practicing FD ledge-wall-jumps and wavedashing, which I've continuously put off improving on. Can do them on command fine, can do several in a row now fairly consistently. Can dash->wavedash back pretty well to the right, not so well to the left. Dash->wavedash forward is a struggle right now in either direction, especially to the left. I can do it out of shield kind of decently too.

Tomohawk

I can agree in regard to Pokemon though. I'm a "genwunner" (well, "gentwoer" maybe?) but I don't complain about the series. I just don't play it. Maybe if they brought back hard mode and didn't lock it behind beating the game I'd give the series a try again.

built in mode like nuzloke e or a mode that gets rid of grinding as a way to overcome obstacles, would get me in to pokemon again.

papapaints trailers are so hype.

Pappasman

After 2 years the community is finally pulling together to update the Melee tier list.

If you have a Smashboards account you can vote in here: http://smashboards.com/threads/2015-community-tier-list-voting.404738/

my vote:

S
1. Fox
2. Marth
3. Falco
4. Sheik
5. Jigglypuff

A
6. Peach
7. Pikachu
8. ICs
9. Falcon
10. Samus

B
11. Yoshi
12. Luigi
13. Dr. Mario
14. Link
15. Young Link
16. DK
17. Ganondorf

C and below
18. Mario
19. Roy
20. G&W
21. Zelda
22. Mewtwo
23. Ness
24. Pichu
25. Bowser
26. Kirby

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hesitant to bump Pikachu and Yoshi that much since both are essentially being pushed by a single good player.

Still thinking about it, but right now I've got

S
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Marth
4. Sheik
5. Peach
6. Jigglypuff

A
7. Captain Falcon
8. Ice Climbers
9. Pikachu
10. Samus
11. Luigi

B
12. Ganondorf
13. Yoshi
14. Dr Mario
15. Mario
16. Young Link
17. Link
18. Donkey Kong

D/F
19. Zelda
20. Game & Watch
21. Ness
22. Roy
23. Mewtwo
24. Bowser
25. Pichu
26. Kirby

Kind of wonder if Ice Climbers are a tad high. And the whole B tier feels like it could go in almost any order.

Tomohawk

Why is Dr. Mario so high for people, I feel like he doesn't have the tourney placements after shroomed dropped him. I would say that Ganondorf is higher.

yay community voted tier lists lol

mine just because:

S
1. Fox
2. Marth
3. Falco
4. Sheik
5. Jigglypuff
6. Peach

A
7. Captain Falcon
8. Ice Climbers
9. Pikachu
10. Samus
11. Luigi
12. Yoshi

B
13. Dr. Mario
14. Ganondorf
15. Young Link
16. Mario
17. Link
18. Donkey Kong

C/F/whatever
19. G&W
20. Roy
21. Zelda
22. Pichu
23. Mewtwo
24. Ness
25. Bowser
26. Kirby

I wonder when there's going to be a Smash 4 tier list voted on by top players

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Dr. Mario so high for people, I feel like he doesn't have the tourney placements after shroomed dropped him. I would say that Ganondorf is higher.

I don't really disagree, and with the logic I used for some other parts of it that would make more sense. Changed that on mine.

Still some things that could go either way. Falco/Marth. Peach/Puff. Lot of B tier. Just about all of D/F tier.

AZPM's dedication is pretty incredible. They are going to Evo for a side event with a bunch of setups. Hope they get lots of entrants. And apparently zman is joining MVG as their streamer and in turn MVG will be running PM at events. Pretty neat.

Tomohawk

AZPM's dedication is pretty incredible. They are going to Evo for a side event with a bunch of setups. Hope they get lots of entrants. And apparently zman is joining MVG as their streamer and in turn MVG will be running PM at events. Pretty neat.

That's really cool, hopefully the stream quality is good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Falcon sucks

and has only gotten worse in later games

I'm probably biased, but I think Falcon needs more genuine development in Melee. I think he has the potential as a character to reach the #5 spot and be competitive to actually win nationals, he's just not there right now. I've seen some pretty wild stuff on option coverage since the 20GX thing started, hopefully Wizzrobe is able to pull it all together and push Falcon to new heights. If any current top Falcon is going to do it I think he's the most likely.

He definitely sucks in Brawl and felt pretty bad in Smash 4 though.

FZZ

Banned
I'm probably biased, but I think Falcon needs more genuine development in Melee. I think he has the potential as a character to reach the #5 spot and be competitive to actually win nationals, he's just not there right now. I've seen some pretty wild stuff on option coverage since the 20GX thing started, hopefully Wizzrobe is able to pull it all together and push Falcon to new heights. If any current top Falcon is going to do it I think he's the most likely.

He definitely sucks in Brawl and felt pretty bad in Smash 4 though.

lolwut

He's high tier in Smash 4. Not top tier, but definitely high tier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
lolwut

He's high tier in Smash 4. Not top tier, but definitely high tier.

I don't pay enough attention to Smash 4 to know if he's actually good or not. I haven't touched the game since December but he felt like crap when I used him.

But to be fair I don't think any character in Smash 4 actually felt good to play, that's why I didn't keep playing it. :shrug:

emb

I feel like Smash 4 Falcon gets more credit than he deserves. Mostly just for being Captain Falcon. Playing as him and against him (against people I lose to in Melee) made it seem like he was a pretty average character. But I play Sheik in 4, so I guess it makes sense that most other characters in it would seem 'meh'.

Top Bottom