• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Lucumo

I hope M2K enters/entered Evo. It'd be a shame for his hiatus to start one week before it. I also hope he's ok though... wanting to see him compete is just a selfish thing from me. <.<

You aren't the only one. A shame it has to be now but alas, before it ruins him completely.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Who here is ready for a Project M Evo announcement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5x3jH0tIo
Hue

Wouldn't that be nice, especially since Knuckles looked pretty cool, if unbalanced, in the leak (Lyn looked... early, at best). Of course with 3.6b being so recent I doubt we'll see any big PM announcements for a long time.

Hope the tournament is successful though, the community needs to show up in a big way to be taken seriously. Juggleguy's comments about not having it at BH5 a while back were a slap in the face seeing as he had experienced folks volunteering to help run the tournament AND the community was raising money for it.

Tomohawk

Wouldn't that be nice, especially since Knuckles looked pretty cool, if unbalanced, in the leak (Lyn looked... early, at best). Of course with 3.6b being so recent I doubt we'll see any big PM announcements for a long time.

Hope the tournament is successful though, the community needs to show up in a big way to be taken seriously. Juggleguy's comments about not having it at BH5 a while back were a slap in the face seeing as he had experienced folks volunteering to help run the tournament AND the community was raising money for it.

Didn't he say he tried trusting PM people at tbh4 or something and it went really badly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't he say he tried trusting PM people at tbh4 or something and it went really badly.

He said players didn't bring setups, which was true. Several people didn't really get that though since they end up with oodles of setups for their local tournaments (happened at ours last month, we had something like 20 Melee and PM setups for a ~60 person tournament and extra TVs not even being used).

The part that was a slap in the face was talking about not having anyone to run it while completely ignoring kokingpin's attempts to contact him. Juggleguy said he didn't want help from anyone who wasn't a local TO. Then he said the PM community needed to step up, not be complacent, and rally if they want to be taken seriously, and this came as folks had crowdfunded $2000-$3000 to put toward PM at TBH.

He'd really have been better off not using all the excuses and just sticking with the "legal" section of his reasoning. Say "TBH is really big now and I'm afraid of Nintendo." That's ultimately what it came down to but it ended up coming across as if he was spitting on fans' and players' efforts.

Tomohawk

He said players didn't bring setups, which was true. Several people didn't really get that though since they end up with oodles of setups for their local tournaments (happened at ours last month, we had something like 20 Melee and PM setups for a ~60 person tournament and extra TVs not even being used).

The part that was a slap in the face was talking about not having anyone to run it while completely ignoring kokingpin's attempts to contact him. Juggleguy said he didn't want help from anyone who wasn't a local TO. Then he said the PM community needed to step up, not be complacent, and rally if they want to be taken seriously, and this came as folks had crowdfunded $2000-$3000 to put toward PM at TBH.

He'd really have been better off not using all the excuses and just sticking with the "legal" section of his reasoning. Say "TBH is really big now and I'm afraid of Nintendo." That's ultimately what it came down to but it ended up coming across as if he was spitting on fans' and players' efforts.

Well that sucks, hopefully PM shows up at his future tournaments.

emb

Are we gonna talk here about the EVO matches since the official thread is full of everything?
Couldn't hurt.

Is there somewhere I can see the pools being updated as they happen?

I can't watch the stream, has anything cool happened so far?

Anth0ny

Are we gonna talk here about the EVO matches since the official thread is full of everything?

yeah. main thread is going to be mainly street fighter focused. we can talk melee in here until top 8 I guess.

i'm at work right now and have people walking by my work station every 5 seconds so I can't watch shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Lucumo

yeah. main thread is going to be mainly street fighter focused. we can talk melee in here until top 8 I guess.

i'm at work right now and have people walking by my work station every 5 seconds so I can't watch shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Sounds fine.

You are supposed to work anyway :p
So far, though, nothing too interesting happened (well, except for stream problems and audio was off-sync etc).

Anyone else experiencing audio desync on the Melee stream? It's pretty annoying. :/

Also @Lucumo, you should just edit your original post rather than post multiple times in a row.

Lucumo

Happened several times before, now I have some music over the stream (so I'm not really noticing things).

Would normally do that but considering some time had passed and I wanted to bump the thread, so that more Melee people post here, I didn't.

Lucumo

Those 95% are why I would like to try to confine ourselves to this thread. There are too many games going on (and two Smash ones at that) to have any good overview over the relevant posts.

Jigolo

Axe is so nasty

aMSa combos

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mentioned it in the Evo thread, but I've been thinking about picking up Sheik. Sort of funny since Sheik is one of my least favorite characters to watch.

xezuru

Mentioned it in the Evo thread, but I've been thinking about picking up Sheik. Sort of funny since Sheik is one of my least favorite characters to watch.

I hate watching shiek unless it's against fox / it's KDJ esque, that character is only good for the absolute balls to go for the deepest of edgeguards
, but the character is mostly just played by planking lamos Kappa.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For what it's worth I always go for the crazy stuff. Sheik is probably one of the least crazy/hype characters in the game though, so maybe that will be good for me.

Lucumo

Damn Ice, got wobbled several times, SD'ed but still made it in the end. So close. Respect to Chudat for his games (since he also beat kirbykaze). Tomorrow probably vs Mango now.

xezuru

For what it's worth I always go for the crazy stuff. Sheik is probably one of the least crazy/hype characters in the game though, so maybe that will be good for me.

It was more my opinion on the only reason I *tolerate* ehhh not that strong of hate that character. Personally, I think Shiek is a good character to learn, albeit a bit awkward at first, in one case early adopters dashdance game in nonexistent because of the quickness of the frames, but just going for solid fundamentals correctly will do wonders with that character. Learning correct spacing turns a wavedash back *they wiff normal* into a ftilt auto combo -> slap or grab techchase, character has both a good punish and mental game built in, go for it.

Tomohawk

Damn Ice, got wobbled several times, SD'ed but still made it in the end. So close. Respect to Chudat for his games (since he also beat kirbykaze). Tomorrow probably vs Mango now.

I was hoping for the upset against ice, but ice played amazing and just shut chudat down.

Wynnebeck

Banned
sigh How do you lose to Greninja as Pikachu? Got denied entry to top 8 tonight at a local weekly ranbat because I got bopped by a Greninja. It just felt like everything I did ended up getting me shield grabbed and combo'd.

Top Bottom