• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Pappasman

CKPr_70UEAA0E2u.jpg

CKP9rcgWoAAUeI_.jpg

hahahaha

Tomohawk

Doubles is going down on vgbc, for those who don't know.

Edit: Just realized there are no foxes in winners, thought top 8 would be super fox heavy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping Bladewise turns this around. IPK has figured out the Peach matchup.

Yep, IPK wins PM. Good win with the really hype set over Mr Lz and then turning things around against Bladewise who destroyed him earlier.

Tomohawk

Looks like reddit's unhappy with the salty suite, I understand some people not liking it, but some comments just come off as entitled.

FZZ

Banned
Yo these upsets are insane but I am fully expecting loser's bracket mang0 to meet on point Armada in grands and then the true debate of GOAT vs. BOAT will finally be settled.

Also I am VERY surprised more people aren't mentioning ZeRo not dropping a single game in his run at Evo. The third biggest tournament in Evo history, the biggest Smash tournament of all time and the champion who already had a 40 win streak did not drop a single game. Dominance like that is almost unfathomable.

xezuru

Looks like reddit's unhappy with the salty suite, I understand some people not liking it, but some comments just come off as entitled.

Was watching it for a while with friends, and it sucks it was limited to an actual suite but it's not like they could have ballroom hype as the evo floor is being used for all the games, my real problem is that I expected actual hype matches, they were an hour late which is fine because FGC are a bunch of incompetent slobs hue, but they started off with Mango vs Leffen, which was fine and good, but then just snoozed me with an entire doubles bracket. Event was late, but 10PM was supposed to be Kage vs Blizz, eventually I just fucking left because it was wasting my time to the point where one of my most expected hype matches wasn't worth it anymore went to sleep to catch Guilty Gear top8. Yes, invite only is terrible, even grassroot suite crowds huddling up behind a setup have been crazy hype, and seeing people be deprived of that sucks and lowers everything even within lowered expectations.

tldr personally; Expected high profile player matchups with atleast pre-fabricated stakes, got diluted unmoveable crowd and doubles matches instead

Pappasman

Was watching it for a while with friends, and it sucks it was limited to an actual suite but it's not like they could have ballroom hype as the evo floor is being used for all the games, my real problem is that I expected actual hype matches, they were an hour late which is fine because FGC are a bunch of incompetent slobs hue, but they started off with Mango vs Leffen, which was fine and good, but then just snoozed me with an entire doubles bracket. Event was late, but 10PM was supposed to be Kage vs Blizz, eventually I just fucking left because it was wasting my time to the point where one of my most expected hype matches wasn't worth it anymore went to sleep to catch Guilty Gear top8. Yes, invite only is terrible, even grassroot suite crowds huddling up behind a setup have been crazy hype, and seeing people be deprived of that sucks and lowers everything even within lowered expectations.

tldr personally; Expected high profile player matchups with atleast pre-fabricated stakes, got diluted unmoveable crowd and doubles matches instead

Eh you didn't miss much. Kage vs Bizz was an awkward, quick 5-0.

Tomohawk

Agree with the lack of hype matches, I think if they had done it at a time when everyone wasn't dead tired and didn't have an open bar, it would have been more hype. They could have also done a better job balancing crowd, game and commentator sound. However the line up wasn't to hype either way. I think they shouldn't have done it or just called it something else and made it more casual where players who want to do a money match just sit down and play.

edit:
Blur's reaction is priceless.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I CANT WAIT FOR TODAY HAS IT STARTED YET GAH GAH GAH

Watching the salty suite from last night, mang0 with that clean 3-0 runback after being down 2 on leffen. Anything can happen today boys.

Jigolo

Mang0 beats mang0 so no 3VO

If he did advance, judging by the remaining players tho, I wouldn't have been surprised if he lost to Plup, Armada, or PPMD.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Congratulations to Armada, Evo's Champion in 2015. Truly well deserved, and an excellent showing all around.

Outside of the ongoing talks of Armada's legacy now being cemented, I think this Evo also showed that the 'god' moniker is, at least for one more year, still fitting. The gap is just a bit closer.

The top 5 was all gods outside of Plup. Hungrybox, I think, will go out very happy. It always seemed like for him, Melee is a hobby-passion more than a "I have to be the greatest" passion like what you see from Mang0/Leffen/Armada. This is evidenced by him taking on his new career and leaving Melee behind. PPMD hasn't played in one tournament for a half of a year and still placed 3rd - pure genius and he's really amazing to watch. I think he if he is able to sort out his personal issues, he will continue to be great and hopefully we can see more Armada/PPMD sets. Plup really played well, but I think he fell short in big moments. It was great to see him get as far as he did. Leffen had an unorthodox early end to his run, losing to Plup's Samus. I honestly feel like Leffen never took his first loss against Plup seriously. It was an anomaly in his head. And that confidence was his downfall. Plus didn't hesitate to pick Samus against him even though he hadn't played Samus since the last time he played Leffen. And honestly, it didn't look like Leffen ever stood a chance. Mang0 didn't play too well and that's on him. He's still great, but I wonder how he'll come back from this.

Overall, I think it was an excellent tournament. Good showing from a lot of players, top 5 and beyond.

emb

So heartwarming to see Armada win. Reminds me of whenever he won Genesis 2. At that time, it was finally taking a major. This time, it was finally taking an Evo. Dude puts in so much work, it's great to see it pay off.

Plup is amazing, hope he's cemented in the top 6 soon.

Mango's loss to HBox was gut-wrenching. I'm not the biggest Mango fan, and especially wanted Mango to not win the overall tournament... but what a series of heartbreakers. The two SDs, then the almost come back, then a series of solid recoveries toward the end, then.... he couldn't find it. As much as I know Mango didn't want to lose to Leffen at Apex, I doubt Mango has ever wanted to win a match more than that last one today.

Interesting that both Mango and Leffen were eliminated by Hbox and Plup.

Sad that PP couldn't quite make it through, but at least he had a solid run. He did great, and I'm sure he'll continue to impress.

Codeblue

It's too bad Hbox went back to that ledge stall technique. At WTFox he was solidly outplaying Armada in neutral and getting killed when he went to the ledge. Same thing happened today. Had he not went to the ledge when he went up that first stock he would have had a better chance at that first game and would have sent Armada to losers. If Hungrybox wins that set, it's hard for me to see anyone beating him based on what we saw today.

TrickRoom

Out of all the top players in Melee, Armada always seemed to be the guy who just fell short despite being amazing and scary consistent with his wins. I don't think anyone deserved to win that tournament more than he did.

Also happy to see HBox placing as well as he did at the last super-national before his retirement. It'll be a long time before the world sees Puff play of his caliber on the big stage again. I'm going to miss his chat-exploding rests and carry-offs on foxes.

I really want to see Axe last longer in this kind of tournament. Nothing brings the hype like his Pikachu. He's got that memorable 4-stock the year before, played just one game this year in top 8 and yet the crowd response was arguably on tier with a grand finals.

And goddamnit, Mango.

Melee top 8 stages

Battlefield-9
Pokemon Stadium-7
Dreamland-4
Yoshi's Story-4
Fountain of Dreams-3
Final Destination-2

less Battlefield than Saturday (9/29 or 31%)

Miutsu

For some reason I really don't like Toph as a commentator, he has good knowledge of the game but sometimes he can sound childish / "bro". I know it's a video game but there are commentators that sound more professional.

I also really didn't like that ledge stalling technique of HB and for that I was rooting against him :/ wish axe had placed better, love his play.

Codeblue

Also, I think one of the big winners this tournament was Druggedfox. He straight up looked like M2K at moments and made two of the favorites sweat.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
At losers finals, Twitch/my connection is sucking so much though and I can't watch anything.

I hate that I had to work all weekend. Seems like the whole thing was great.

Anteo

For some reason I really don't like Toph as a commentator, he has good knowledge of the game but sometimes he can sound childish / "bro". I know it's a video game but there are commentators that sound more professional.

I also really didn't like that ledge stalling technique of HB and for that I was rooting against him :/ wish axe had placed better, love his play.

The ledge stalling is just a counter to the run away laser from fox players, so I guess is just fair. Armada used that a lot in one stock situations vs Hbox, it's just that Hbox doesnt get free damage from stallin on the ledge

Mumei

Out of all the top players in Melee, Armada always seemed to be the guy who just fell short despite being amazing and scary consistent with his wins. I don't think anyone deserved to win that tournament more than he did.

Armada's last major win was in 2013, before his short retirement, if I'm remembering correctly. So, I think it's great that he finally broke through to win a big one again.

Personally, my first choice would have been PP winning, but he just didn't deserve it. He got outplayed by both Armada and Hbox. But if anyone deserved it, Armada did.

I feel like Toph and Scar accentuate each other's bad habits as casters. I also wish they would stop trying to translate what is happening on screen for non-Smash players if they're going to use analogies that don't work. Like, why are you saying that something is random, and then saying that it is analogous to an "Umeshoryu"? An Umeshoryu is not done randomly.

Miutsu

The ledge stalling is just a counter to the run away laser from fox players, so I guess is just fair. Armada used that a lot in one stock situations vs Hbox, it's just that Hbox doesnt get free damage from stallin on the ledge

I guess I noticed hbox more because it was more obvious but you have a point.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Scar was trying too hard to be professional during Top 8. His commentary is at it's best when he can just talk and not give a damn. Toph has good game smarts I guess, but his more explanatory style isn't really what I prefer. Haven't seen anyone do that type of commentary better than D1.

Scar + Mango commentary is probably my favorite from everything I've heard. They are hilarious together. EE +TKBreezy are also awesome together, miss listening to them at Xanadu.

I think people were pretty hard on Leffen for being salty too. Looks like him and Mango have gotten pretty cool with each other in recent months, thought it was funny Leffen tweeted Mango about getting his controller for him after he threw it.

Tomohawk

I think Scar & Toph tried way to hard to be new comer friendly during top 8. I would love to see Blur and some one else do a top 8 next year, he's good at explaining the game and keeping it hype.

emb

I think Scar & Toph tried way to hard to be new comer friendly during top 8. I would love to see Blur and some one else do a top 8 next year, he's good at explaining the game and keeping it hype.
Generally I think commentary has too much newcomer-friendliness, but at Evo I think it's pretty appropriate. I know I end up watching a bunch of games I barely understand. Likewise, I'm sure plenty of FGC heads end up checking out Melee at Evo only.

I'm ok with Scar and Toph. I think individually they're pretty strong (Toph moreso), but together they tend to go off track a bit. They did great at Evo this year though.

Husband + Wife is probably the best duo, but it feels like they miss things here or there.

Actual secret best commentator is PPMD (not even just being a fanboy here). He usually makes some really insightful points about the match, but also gets excited sometimes. Wobbles is one of the better ones too.

Anth0ny

Yeah, when there's 200k people watching a Melee stream, you kinda have to be newcomer friendly. Most of those people have never watched competitive Melee before, or have probably just seen stuff here and there.

I almost forgot Wobbles. Definitely one of the best Melee commentators, bar none. He should do it more.

I think at some point over the weekend Toph and Wife did some commentary together. They were great. Wife asked a lot of questions, and in answering them, Toph would explain why a player just did what he or she did. It was a really effective and quick way to get information across to less informed viewers, and even I enjoyed it quite a bit.

There is a Smashfest coming up at the end of August and I really want to get better until then. I've been playing every weekend with friends for the last couple of years, but I never took it as seriously as them.

I want to go with Jigglypuff as my main. Are there any good videos/ read ups you can recommend?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Based on the comments here, did Hungrybox say something about not playing Melee anymore? Or are folks just saying because he'll have less time to practice since he has work?

also

Banned
Based on the comments here, did Hungrybox say something about not playing Melee anymore? Or are folks just saying because he'll have less time to practice since he has work?
The latter. He wrote that he will continue to play yada yada but on stream at FC Smash 15XR - Return he said that that the Smash landscape will be different after EVO.
Can't expect him to be at his best when he has other big commitments.

stolen from Dahbomb, top 8 times for each game (from the start of the first match to the end of the last one):

Persona 4: 1 hour 56 minutes (28 games, 4.14 min/game)
Smash 4: 2 hours 2 minutes (27 games, 4.52 min/game)
Killer Instinct: 1 hour 52 minutes (32 games, 3.5 min/game)
Tekken 7: 2 hours 52 minutes (37 games, 4.65 min/game)
GGXrd: 1 hour 42 minutes (28 games, 3.64 min/game)
MKX: 1 hour 30 minutes (29 games, 3.10 min/game)
Smash Melee: 2 hours 7 minutes (29 games, 4.38 min/game)
UMVC3: 2 hours 7 minutes (42 games, 3.02 min/game)
USF4: 2 hour 56 minutes (48 games, 3.67 min/game)

looks like Evo is never gonna move from 2 stocks

emb

stolen from Dahbomb, top 8 times for each game (from the start of the first match to the end of the last one):

Persona 4: 1 hour 56 minutes (28 games, 4.14 min/game)
Smash 4: 2 hours 2 minutes (27 games, 4.52 min/game)
Killer Instinct: 1 hour 52 minutes (32 games, 3.5 min/game)
Tekken 7: 2 hours 52 minutes (37 games, 4.65 min/game)
GGXrd: 1 hour 42 minutes (28 games, 3.64 min/game)
MKX: 1 hour 30 minutes (29 games, 3.10 min/game)
Smash Melee: 2 hours 7 minutes (29 games, 4.38 min/game)
UMVC3: 2 hours 7 minutes (42 games, 3.02 min/game)
USF4: 2 hour 56 minutes (48 games, 3.67 min/game)

looks like Evo is never gonna move from 2 stocks
Nice to see almost everything staying on schedule (actually, didn't the Smashes get 3 hour timeslots?)

Both Smash games having abnormally high mins per game. Would be cool to see a minutes per stock/minutes per round breakdown. Between Hbox and some of the people that got knocked out in the early stages of Smash 4's final brackets, Smash would still probably be shown to take forever.

Lucumo

Imagine no HBox in top 8 and instead another Fox. The matches would have been over a lot faster. And yeah, Melee had a 3-hour slot and it only took about 2 1/2 hours, despite HBox.

Remember that time includes stuff like breaks between games/sets (notably for USF4).
Imagine no HBox in top 8 and instead another Fox. The matches would have been over a lot faster. And yeah, Melee had a 3-hour slot and it only took about 2 1/2 hours, despite HBox.
Then people would complain about Fox instead lol

edit:

Was rooting for Mango or wishing upon a star PPMD's exile granted him the knowledge to perform old m2k tier punishes with Marth, disappointed and matches on average weren't as insane as last year, but Armada deservedly won putting in crazy amount of work for all these years, hard to argue with that.

What could have been though...

these guys are just amazing lol

xezuru

Was rooting for Mango or wishing upon a star PPMD's exile granted him the knowledge to perform old m2k tier punishes with Marth, disappointed and matches on average weren't as insane as last year, but Armada deservedly won putting in crazy amount of work for all these years, hard to argue with that.

What could have been though...

Anth0ny

On Earth-2, Druggedfox, an underdog player from Georgia, defeated Leffen in the round of 16 and went on to win the tournament over Armada in the grand finals, successfully tech-chasing the Swede on the final stock an astounding ninety-seven times in a row before up-throwing Armada’s 654% Fox for the kill off the top of Final Destination. At the award ceremony, Druggedfox proceeded to rip off his face and reveal Mew2king underneath, who accepted the trophy and was bestowed a pair of Mad Catz sponsored bionic hands to replace his carpal tunnel ridden real ones.

I lol'd.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It was more my opinion on the only reason I *tolerate* ehhh not that strong of hate that character. Personally, I think Shiek is a good character to learn, albeit a bit awkward at first, in one case early adopters dashdance game in nonexistent because of the quickness of the frames, but just going for solid fundamentals correctly will do wonders with that character. Learning correct spacing turns a wavedash back *they wiff normal* into a ftilt auto combo -> slap or grab techchase, character has both a good punish and mental game built in, go for it.

Coming back to this, dash dance is definitely weird with Sheik. Otherwise I was enjoying myself while practicing with her a bit. Thinking this could be a good idea, I feel like it's going to force me to pick up some things I was slacking on with Falcon, particularly improving my wavedashing (due to Sheik's super short dash) and playing better out of shield since she has legit OoS options, unlike Falcon (he has... wavedash, and up B lol).

I don't think I will completely not play Falcon, but I'll probably spend most of my time with Sheik.

Anybody want to give me a rough idea of the things I should prioritize outside the basics? I tried shino stalling a little, seems like that is pretty easy to learn.

Also, I really want to enter my local with a ridiculous name one of these days. Like "That Guy Over In The Corner." Or something that would just be funny to hear the TO say, like the guy that entered as George W Kush.

Top Bottom