• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Pappasman

Leffen is right though. He is the best player by far right now and M2K doesn't go for optimal stuff. He drops too much and capitalizes on so little.

He's also right about the "gods" thing too. How can you say there are 6 when 2 of them can't win tournaments?

Leffen is right though. He is the best player by far right now and M2K doesn't go for optimal stuff. He drops too much and capitalizes on so little.

He's also right about the "gods" thing too. How can you say there are 6 when 2 of them can't win tournaments?

Hey, Hbox actually won a major this year, unlike M2K!

Lazulic

OwPWMpX.png

what an unfortunate chain of tweets

emb

Today was an amazing Melee day.

Spent all day at a 100-player local. Great to see everybody, and a bunch of new faces (even though I kinda choked).

On top of that, this week's major was sick. Mango doing some great things, Leffen looking dominant, M2K playing pretty well even.

Can't wait to see what happens at Evo next week.

Anth0ny

Evo Mango is try hard Mango. I get the feeling Armada is gonna go ham, too. Plus you have PPMD as the wildcard. If Leffen keeps his current momentum going, you have four true killers going into this tournament.

shit is gonna be godlike.

Lucumo

Evo Mango is try hard Mango. I get the feeling Armada is gonna go ham, too. Plus you have PPMD as the wildcard. If Leffen keeps his current momentum going, you have four true killers going into this tournament.

shit is gonna be godlike.

Yep, took Friday and Monday off of work. I'm so ready for this.

nubbe

what's a god to a nonbeliever

godslayer indeed

Anth0ny

We need a savior.

We need 07 Mew2king where one hit = death and if a character was off stage he's not coming back.

emb

We need a savior.

We need 07 Mew2king where one hit = death and if a character was off stage he's not coming back.
I saw glimpses of it in those FD games versus Leffen. I haven't watched the set with Mango yet, but M2K was honestly looking like he was in pretty good form already. I'd love to be in the timeline where M2K's finances and health aren't preventing him from just going hard into being great at Melee. Reality though. :(

xezuru

I saw glimpses of it in those FD games versus Leffen. I haven't watched the set with Mango yet, but M2K was honestly looking like he was in pretty good form already. I'd love to be in the timeline where M2K's finances and health aren't preventing him from just going hard into being great at Melee. Reality though. :(

I don't know, honestly, it's refreshing to even see M2K putting up a fight with gods lately, but seeing m2k and comparing it to his old reign is like barely 65% of what he used to do, I agree with what leffen said honestly, any major sponsored player should not be dropping the chain grabs, and not only was he dropping consistently but he was doing some of the most optimal stuff when trying to convert and missing. I haven't seen it since last apex, and honestly even then I thought PPMD Marth had to work on his punish game (although his neutral was phenomenal), but I feel like even PP wouldn't of dropped that much of what m2k is expected to do.

Edit: To put up an easy example, one of the most bread and butter things m2k dropped over the weekend was failing to do opportune pivot grabs during low% chaingrabs, crimsonblur the commentator is a marth main and even I'm sure he had disappointments watching him drop basic marth building blocks.

Anth0ny

Yeah, you see glimpses of it a lot from him. That's why it's so painful when he drops a big combo or misses an edge guard >_<

Mumei

I don't know, honestly, it's refreshing to even see M2K putting up a fight with gods lately, but seeing m2k and comparing it to his old reign is like barely 65% of what he used to do, I agree with what leffen said honestly, any major sponsored player should not be dropping the chain grabs, and not only was he dropping consistently but he was doing some of the most optimal stuff when trying to convert and missing. I haven't seen it since last apex, and honestly even then I thought PPMD Marth had to work on his punish game (although his neutral was phenomenal), but I feel like even PP wouldn't of dropped that much of what m2k is expected to do.

Edit: To put up an easy example, one of the most bread and butter things m2k dropped over the weekend was failing to do opportune pivot grabs during low% chaingrabs, crimsonblur the commentator is a marth main and even I'm sure he had disappointments watching him drop basic marth building blocks.

PPMD's neutral and M2K's peak punish game with Marth is what my current Marth dreams are made of.

And Mango's random tippers lol

Anth0ny

We might not have Smash Bros. if it wasn't for Mr. Iwata.

TOZkw7n.png

He also helped get Melee out the door:

7qAMsw7.png

Respect. You will be missed.

Wy4pgoZ.jpg

so, am I reading this right? M2K confirmed for evo?

That's right, I believe he had to fork over some dough to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last Melee tournament, and what a tournament to go out on no matter the result. The era of the 5 Gods is ending.

So we're all in agreement that PPMD is gonna take it right? :p

Anth0ny

After summer tournament season ends, he should consider stopping smash until Apex if that still ends up being big or the next summer tournament season.

Worked pretty well for peepee

M2k needs to chill. Put the controller down. Watch some movies. It's for the greater good.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last Melee tournament, and what a tournament to go out on no matter the result. The era of the 5 Gods is ending.

yup, he finally used his "disappear for several months and scout everyone" tech for Evo

:p

emb

I hope M2K enters/entered Evo. It'd be a shame for his hiatus to start one week before it. I also hope he's ok though... wanting to see him compete is just a selfish thing from me. <.<

And yes, PPMD has it for certain. No one's going to beat him, here or anywhere for the rest of eternity </fanboy> Nah, but really I feel pretty confident in him, and really hope he takes it.

Mumei

Not only that, but every match will be like Game 2 against Hax at MLG Pools, or like Game 4 against Mango at MLG Winners.

It's going to be beautiful tbh.

Not only that, but every match will be like Game 2 against Hax at MLG Pools, or like Game 4 against Mango at MLG Winners.

It's going to be beautiful tbh.

Those angled ftilts tho

That techjump to recover, and then he ends it with the ken combo tho

PP's Marth and PewPewU are the only Marth players who don't fill me with rage. Watching them play, they astound me with their smooth and clean movement.

With M2K and Hbox on the way out and Mango looking less like the dominant #1 he was last year, I think PP is America's best defense against the Swedish threat in the coming months. What about you guys? Maybe some surprise upsets by others in the top 15? I'm hoping PewPew and Westballz finally break that barrier into godhood.

20 would be good.

ok, cool

for Smash 4, 20 players to look out for:
ZeRo
Nairo
Dabuz
ESAM
Rain
Nietono
Abadango
Nyanko (looks like everyone skipped this Japanese player)
aMSa
Mr. R
Larry Lurr
Ally
MVD
FOW
6WX
Mr. ConCon
Denti
NickRiddle
DaPuffster (Mii Brawler hype)
Vinnie

ok, cool (also for Melee, M2K is actually entering)

for Smash 4, 20 players to look out for:
ZeRo
Nairo
Dabuz
ESAM
Rain
Nietono
Abadango
Nyanko (looks like everyone skipped this Japanese player)
aMSa
Mr. R
Larry Lurr
Ally
MVD
Mr. R
6WX
Mr. ConCon
Denti
NickRiddle
DaPuffster (Mii Brawler hype)
Vinnie