• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

TrickRoom

Eddy Mexico lived ridiculously long in that game considering how much Axe was waling on him. Techs everywhere and the invisible ceiling glitch past 200%... I'm definitely rewatching that one.

xezuru

Lot's of cool upsets by the OGs.

Can you guys give me the quick schedule in regards to all Smash and if you can PM side tourney tomorrow?

there's a lot of Fox players in winners lol

anyway, top 32 characters: Fox, Peach, Marth, Jigglypuff, Falco, Sheik, Pikachu, Samus, Ice Climbers, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Luigi

decent enough

Lucumo

there's a lot of Fox players in winners lol

anyway, top 32 characters: Fox, Peach, Marth, Jigglypuff, Falco, Sheik, Pikachu, Samus, Ice Climbers, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Luigi

decent enough

Makes me wish Ice would still use Shiek as well, like he did at Apex 2015.

also

Banned
Loving the close matches and the Mango upset. Really sad about Hugs loosing; more character variety is always welcome.

also

Banned
because he has a job.

Yeah, his new job begins early August. Here's the full story.
vI5wnWU.png

since I did it for Smash 4, I'll do it for Melee too:

top 32 stage picks (missing SFAT/Lucky, Axe/Hax, SilentWolf/ChuDat, MacD/Duck)

Battlefield-32
Yoshi's Story-13
Pokemon Stadium-13
Dream Land-11
Final Destination-8
Fountain of Dreams-4

despite Battlefield dominating late, it's still a lower percentage than Smashville lol (32/81 vs 31/67), and the rest of the stages are fairly evenly distributed (except Fountain of Dreams)

edit: what did USF4 semis peak at? (the stream with higher views only, I know the secondary stream had more views than Melee's second stream)

emb

Wonderful day for Melee. Hopefully tomorrow is just as good. Hoping for PPMD Armada winner's finals, PPMD Mango grands with PP taking it. Fingers crossed for Hbox and Chu Dat to go 0 and 2, even though I like both of 'em a lot. Other than really wanting PPMD to win, I'd want every person in top 8 to do exceedingly well. It's a good group.

Salty Suite coming up at 12 EST, looks like. Not sure how much I'll get to see, but it should be fun.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
That was an amazing day of Melee. Great to see PPMD make it to Top 8, Winners side.

Very surprised and happy for HBox. Leffen and Mang0 in losers is crazy, meaning one of them won't be seeing GF for sure. It'll either be a disappointing end and fall to Leffen's seemingly amazing rise to the top...or the 3VO dream is dead. And there's still the chance that Mang0 & PPMD will have participated in the biggest tournaments of the year and still not meet each other. Why'd the kid have to lose to Plup?

Meanwhile what I think isn't getting talked about is that Armada stuck with Peach and clutched the fuck out a whole lot. I'll be interested to see if he's saving Fox for the other gods. I think he has a great chance.

I really want to see PPMD take it all. It's funny how outside of top 8, Falco was carrying the load. But it could very well be that in Top 8, Marth carries everything. I think the turning point in Apex Grand Finals was when PPMD used Falco to swing momentum his way against Armada's Fox. After that, his Marth dominated Set 2 which was completely the opposite of what his Marth did in Set 1. What that showed me was that both characters could be lethal throughout the rest of the tournament. Not only that: the only [top] Marth left is PPMD, the only top Falco left is PPMD's and then Mang0's. Yet, Mang0 didn't turn to Falco much whereas PPMD did.

Tomorrow is going to be crazy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sword Peach would be hype, but beam swords suck, that's why they almost always throw them.

A (long ass) story of Bananas and Turnips.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A time out, come on! What is this, Smash 4?

Lucky seems to have a Peach problem.

Yeah... Lucky double eliminated by Peach, Bladewise and LLOD. Maybe. Suddenly BO5. Or maybe not, brought it back.

Isn't Mr L like 13? And he's in losers quarters? Impressive.

That whole stock, my god.

Dude is a walking combo video, this is so sick.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I watched some, thought it would be over if I tried to check back in.

It didn't end up in a Lucky/Bladewise runback?

Losers finals now. Mr Lz 3-0'd Lucky and is playing IPK now.

Bladewise/IPK for grand finals. G&W vs Lucario was a crazy matchup. Bladewise already beat IPK convincingly in winners.

emb

Just started settling in watching PM, then Salty Suite FINALLY goes live.

Looks like IPK will take loser's finals, looks like Leffen Mango are about to play in the suite.

Tomohawk

Had a family get together so missed live stream, but finally caught up. So sad amsa was knocked out early, and s2j lost to drugged fox. Also feel really bad for hugs.

Top Bottom