• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
only supermajors are when all 6 gods are in attendance
I tend to agree with this notion. But this discounts those big big tournaments where a lot of top 20 including 3 or 4 gods go.

Evo is kinda weird but it's more about the FGC than it is about Melee itself. Its prestige alone kinda takes it to Supermajor Status. As far as super majors off of the strength of the game, Apex and TBH take the cake. Also, Bo3 in Top 8 sucks.

But it'd make sense going with Apex, Evo , and TBH5 being the only super majors of 2015. Potentially Dreamhack as the "International Supermajor" if PPMD ends up going. We already know 3 gods and Westballz are going.

The Big House 5 crew battle matchups:

SoCal vs New England
Florida vs Tristate
--------------------------------- (I'm assuming those two are the top half and the next two are the bottom half of the bracket)
Europe vs Midwest
NorCal vs Canada

lol New England put in all that money and draw SoCal
KuGsj.gif

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
PP makes me so angry and disappointed. Why even bother showing up ugh
Why? He's monitoring his health. People make fun of M2K for not going to the doctor, I think a lot of people in the Smash community at the top level can learn from PPMD. His health is more important than almost anything else. Mental health is a serious issue and the fact that he's so open about it is cool as hell.

He is going to be in attendance and commentate, which is the next best thing as he's probably the best analyzer of players that we have in the game.

Let's hope he's at Dreamhack Winter; or makes a surprise showing at MLG New Orleans.

emb

Sad, but I'm super glad he's still going. Whenever he said 'maybe' on his stream I kinda knew. I wish I could better understand whatever he's going through; can't say that I do. But I can appreciate putting health first.

Anyway, PP is great on commentary, so I'm still excited about him showing up. Only bad part is that he isn't a main commentator on Sunday.

emb

:(

him on commentary will be great, though. I hope he's there for top 8, honestly. it's not often that you can get one of the gods on commentary at such a high prestige tournament, let alone someone as well spoken and knowledgeable as PPMD.
Commentary schedule is actually posted already.

From what I can tell, it looks like he's doing crew battle (?) with Webs, then Melee round 2(?) with the Crimson Blur. He's on the analyst desk though, so that's cool.

Looks like Mango is getting a tiny bit of time on the mic too.

No D1 for Melee though I think. :(

Pappasman

I feel like Scar and PP would make a good commentary duo. Scar brings the energy and having a "god's knowledge" to back that up would be so sick.

xezuru

I feel like Scar and PP would make a good commentary duo. Scar brings the energy and having a "god's knowledge" to back that up would be so sick.

I love scar, but im not a fan of his commentating at least in the scar tophe dynamic, while they have energy but it's just too random / chaotic and the mispeaks and cutoffs don't help, ultimately the goods are good but the low points are really low for them. This coming from someone who's favorite commentator duo are the kings of chaos and hype Yipes/Chris Matrix.

PPMD/Mang0 sounds amazing or either of them with Scar would balance it out.

Also, speaking of Scar and Toph, their show episode with Mang0 is fucking hilarious is you have any decent idea of the smash personalities in the community.

Axe made a video about melee being a 3d game. Showed me something I never knew... poor yoshi...

http://youtu.be/eWO6iDefd-g

you know, I wonder what an actual 3D Smash-like game would look like

as in full 3D movement, not the "oh hey look at Yoshi miss because he went behind the main plane" kind

edit: The Big House 5 pot bonuses

$5000 for crews (total prize pool)
$4000 for Melee singles
$2000 for Melee doubles
$1000 for Smash 4 singles

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PM has a similar issue with Ivysaur.

http://gfycat.com/DetailedGroundedEel

Apparently Brawl Dedede also benefited from this during his spotdodge animation, which kept him deeper into the z-axis even after his invincibility frames were over so a lot of attacks wouldn't hit him.

Seems dumb to me though, I feel like the hitboxes and hurtboxes should all be on the same 2D plane, not 3D.

so, the compendium closed, and it couldn't even hit the next level, oh well

so prize pools and distributions:

Melee Singles-$17200 ($4000 pot bonus)
Code:
1st      $6880
2nd      $3440
3rd      $2064
4th      $1376
5th-6th   $860
7th-8th   $516
9th-12th  $172

Melee doubles-$7120 ($2000 pot bonus)
Code:
1st      $2848
2nd      $1424
3rd      $1068
4th       $712
5th-6th   $356
7th-8th   $178

Smash 4 singles-$6160 ($1000 pot bonus)
Code:
1st      $2464
2nd      $1232
3rd       $924
4th       $616
5th-6th   $308
7th-8th   $154

Smash 4 doubles-$2560
Code:
1st      $1152
2nd       $512
3rd       $384
4th       $256
5th-6th   $128

Melee crews-$5000
Code:
1st      $2000
2nd      $1000
3rd-4th   $500
5th-8th   $250

yeah, I'm listing tied placings how they're supposed to be written :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Played a decent amount of Melee and PM with my brother. Getting more consistent with ledge dashes which is nice. He was really surprised when I did a haxdash->knee with Falcon. I don't play Sheik in PM much (still stick with Falcon for the most part, for now) but somehow I went 7-0 with her anyway. Overall took more games in both Melee and PM, which is nice because we typically go even in Melee and he schools me in PM.

My dthrow reactionary tech chases on a human opponent are getting pretty good too, more than anything I just need to stop flubbing inputs. Reaction to fast get up attacks is probably the biggest thing I need to fix. That 20GX shieldgrab would probably be the most reliable option if I could do it well, should work for Sheik.

Also my neutral game is trash due to a lack of experience playing living breathing people. I almost feel like if I improved that I'd do okay. Almost.
Not really.

Tomohawk

I don't know why, but i cant do a doraki wall jump. I play samus and double jump, hugging the wall to get to ledge, then press away like all the guides say but all i do is let go of ledge.

Today may be the first time Armada drops a serious set to someone outside the top 6 in over five years. He's playing really bad, for his standards. Quite the difference from last week where he looked ridiculously dominant, I guess he wasn't overacting about those controller issues.

Today may be the first time Armada drops a serious set to someone outside the top 6 in over five years. He's playing really bad, for his standards. Quite the difference from last week where he looked ridiculously dominant, I guess he wasn't overacting about those controller issues.

There's nobody here that can actually capitalize on Armada playing "badly" though.

emb

Someone brought Rivals of Aether to our Melee tournament today, and I had a chance to play it.

Even on a 360 controller, the game is great. If anyone here hasn't checked it out, definitely do it! I think I'll register for Steam and buy the game, even if my computer can't play it. This game seems to do almost everything right, based on my brief play session.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Someone brought Rivals of Aether to our Melee tournament today, and I had a chance to play it.

Even on a 360 controller, the game is great. If anyone here hasn't checked it out, definitely do it! I think I'll register for Steam and buy the game, even if my computer can't play it. This game seems to do almost everything right, based on my brief play session.

Bought it, got my gamecube controllers working with steam and played for houuurs with my roommate. Seriously awesome game.

Anth0ny

commentary schedule for big house:

duCk2BW.png

kinda disappointed ppmd isn't doing top 8. I like scar and toph but they do every tournament, damn it. I like when they mix it up once in a while and pp provides insight those two simply don't have.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't be surprised if someone's Falco died, with Marth having improved and Sheik mains improving aspects of her game, Falco is the next top tier character with questions about viability. Seen talk that he's just too slow to keep up in the meta of today/tomorrow, especially as people get better at power shielding.

Anth0ny

Wouldn't be surprised if someone's Falco died, with Marth having improved and Sheik mains improving aspects of her game, Falco is the next top tier character with questions about viability. Seen talk that he's just too slow to keep up in the meta of today/tomorrow, especially as people get better at power shielding.

I honestly think it's just one of those "phases" with Falco. similar to what sheik just experienced (is she viable at the top level?), it just takes a few players to come out and prove the doubters wrong.

give us one tournament where westballz goes the fuck in, PPMD attends and fucks people up, and Mango wins with Falco, and everyone will proclaim that the bird is back.

I don't think Falco is going anywhere.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly think it's just one of those "phases" with Falco. similar to what sheik just experienced (is she viable at the top level?), it just takes a few players to come out and prove the doubters wrong.

give us one tournament where westballz goes the fuck in, PPMD attends and fucks people up, and Mango wins with Falco, and everyone will proclaim that the bird is back.

I don't think Falco is going anywhere.

We'll probably see some people drop him before he's "back" though. But yeah, I think in the long term none of the top characters will completely bottom out. Ice Climbers might be the most vulnerable.

Anth0ny

We'll probably see some people drop him before he's "back" though. But yeah, I think in the long term none of the top characters will completely bottom out. Ice Climbers might be the most vulnerable.

I think puff might be the most vulnerable. It's kinda sad that no one has even come close to Hbox when it comes to developing that character. Armada, Leffen and Mango have seemingly figured out the Hbox puff matchup and Hbox isn't really improving. For the time being, he continues to wreck all the other Foxes that aren't at that elite level, but you have to imagine that, in time, players like Hax, Colbol and Sfat will figure out the hbox matchup. Without other high level puffs to develop the character and matchup, it'll be up to hbox alone to adapt, and I'm not sure if that's possible, at least any time soon.

With iceys, at least you have a bunch of top level players pushing the character forward (nintendude, fly, wobbles). I see potential with that character, no doubt. Imagine an iceys main that hit the wobble 100% of the time. hell, imagine wobbles if he practiced/came out to tournaments consistently. that shit would be scary!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think puff might be the most vulnerable. It's kinda sad that no one has even come close to Hbox when it comes to developing that character. Armada, Leffen and Mango have seemingly figured out the Hbox puff matchup and Hbox isn't really improving. For the time being, he continues to wreck all the other Foxes that aren't at that elite level, but you have to imagine that, in time, players like Hax, Colbol and Sfat will figure out the hbox matchup. Without other high level puffs to develop the character and matchup, it'll be up to hbox alone to adapt, and I'm not sure if that's possible, at least any time soon.

With iceys, at least you have a bunch of top level players pushing the character forward (nintendude, fly, wobbles). I see potential with that character, no doubt. Imagine an iceys main that hit the wobble 100% of the time. hell, imagine wobbles if he practiced/came out to tournaments consistently. that shit would be scary!

Can see that too. Feel like Puff's biggest downside is the playstyle necessary to use her optimally. I think she's a better character than ICs without a doubt, people just don't like playing her.

On the other hand, I think Falcon is probably most likely to move up a bit as he continues to get optimized. Maybe Samus too, I feel like she's a little underrated.

Anth0ny

Can see that too. Feel like Puff's biggest downside is the playstyle necessary to use her optimally. I think she's a better character than ICs without a doubt, people just don't like playing her.

On the other hand, I think Falcon is probably most likely to move up a bit as he continues to get optimized. Maybe Samus too, I feel like she's a little underrated.

definitely agree with Falcon. there isn't another character where I say out loud "well, he fucked that up" so much while watching top players using him.

johnny plsssssssssss

someday there will be a falcon messiah that puts all of the best assets of all the best falcon players into one, and everyone will fear the cap. the second coming of isai.

That makes me want to play some puff :( (not that i'll reach a level high enough to make a difference, but still).

Top Bottom