• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
S2J just needs to learn to edgeguard/finish stocks. If he could do that consistently he'd be top-10 material easily.

And I don't even think he does the reactionary tech chasing and raw tech skill that the Florida Falcons are working on, he calls the 20GX stuff lame. Someone combining all that into one Falcon... it would be glorious.

Anth0ny

S2J just needs to learn to edgeguard/finish stocks. If he could do that consistently he'd be top-10 material easily.

And I don't even think he does the reactionary tech chasing and raw tech skill that the Florida Falcons are working on, he calls the 20GX stuff lame. Someone combining all that into one Falcon... it would be glorious.

exactly. I think someone wrote an article pointing out all the strengths that each of the top falcons possess... but none can put all together into one.

falcon will always have bad oos options and the booty recovery, but if players could at least maximize their neutral game, punish game, tech chasing, combo game, edgeguard game... that shit would be awesome to watch. we already get glimpses of it from time to time.

Tripon

I pmmed Revven a couple weeks back, and he was interested in doing it. Regardless of who makes the BH5 thread, I will link it to the Fighting Tournament Weekend thread I usually put up when I can.

Genesis 3 registration just opened and 120 people already registered, 100+ for Melee singles.

those free shirts...but that doesn't explain the split

Anth0ny

Genesis 3 registration just opened and 120 people already registered, 100+ for Melee singles.

those free shirts...but that doesn't explain the split

holy fuck lol

I think I'm going to go. Mainly for the vacation to Cali during the cold Toronto winter, but also for Melee.

Also...

2oulN78.png

tumblr_ml252mhGRm1qedlsro1_250.gif

xezuru

Isai... my heart.

On a side not, Apparently there's a PM side tourney that was started to move peeps recently in BH.
It's a shame because BH3? I think.... was one of the best tournaments ever for PM.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I don't think there's ever not a PM side tourney. Someone will start it up, even if the AZPM crew has to drive 1000 miles in a day and a half.

Well, Paragon didn't have one as far as I know.

At this point I don't think there's ever not a PM side tourney. Someone will start it up, even if the AZPM crew has to drive 1000 miles in a day and a half.

Well, Paragon didn't have one as far as I know.

yeah, let's have a Project M side tournament at a tournament where Project M is a main event

edit: Genesis 3 registration goes up, 5 hours later there's more people entering Melee singles than in Genesis 1

LOL

emb

I heard shield stun increased in 4? Sounds good to me.

I hate to see significant changes though. Every time it happens, just reminds me why I'm glad I haven't tried to learn that game more.

I heard shield stun increased in 4? Sounds good to me.

I hate to see significant changes though. Every time it happens, just reminds me why I'm glad I haven't tried to learn that game more.

Don't play PM then Kappa. People legit have breakdowns when a new edition releases.

Anyways, just noticed I'll be missing both Biweeklies in October. Right after I start tracking PR points. RIP.

Anth0ny

i heard they didn't even nerf sheik in the newest smash 4 patch

i feel like sakurai is at least somewhat aware of the current competitive metagame considering the nerfs to rosy and diddy, so why not sheik too

fuck new stuff lets just keep playing our perfect game from 2001

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Smash 4 sounds one step closer to a game I'd actually want to play. Give me lower landing lag or l canceling, and dash dancing, and I'd be in.

Hell, just dash dancing to make movement less stiff would be enough to get me to play it at least for fun.

Pappasman

This could go either way. Biger shieldstun is interesting, but so few movement options and options in the general neutral game, could make camping even better.

Don't play PM then Kappa. People legit have breakdowns when a new edition releases.

Anyways, just noticed I'll be missing both Biweeklies in October. Right after I start tracking PR points. RIP.

People have meltdowns over changes that aren't real in Smash 4 patches, so I think Smash 4 takes it in overreactions.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing but my brother really doesn't like playing against my Sheik. It's getting pretty one sided when I'm not flubbing things, especially against his Falco. My dash dancing (with Sheik) is getting better, successfully mixing him up punishing. That's primarily due to making an effort to implement wavedashing into my play.

Also getting better at everything related to defense. Primarily decent use of spot dodges (Sheik's is good, as far as spot dodges go) and crouch canceling.

Still have a massive list of things I need to improve though. Have trouble when I get knocked into the air, hard to get down. Need to DI better. Need to figure out better options at low percents. Need to tech less predictably. Need to get more consistent with SHFFL with Sheik. MUST get better at edgeguarding, still relying heavily on sending opponents into the side or top blastzone, or hitting them too far to recover from. Among countless other things.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well then...I wonder how much of an effect this has in practice though.

Seems sort of limited, since you can't do it on the ground, while in hitstun, or during an attack. So it's useless for any true combo KO setup. So it might keep you alive against a Falcon's raw knee, but it won't save you from stomp->knee.

Situations like raw hits on a jumping character aren't going to be too useful, because it's going to be hard to hit a 2 frame input correctly (missing means nothing happens, or you air dodge and potentially get punished harder) and you aren't typically going to be hit with powerful attacks where that 5% is going to make a substantial difference. Occasionally it might save you from a raw knee, slap, or Fox uair, but more often than not you're going to be "V-canceling" a combo starter/setup move. I'd guess in most of those situations that 5% less distance would make setups slightly easier, the V-canceling would be to your opponent's benefit.

The situation where it seems most useful is while recovering high and you get hit out of special fall.

I could be totally wrong here and it's super game changing though.

FZZ

Banned
What's funny about V-Cancelling is that I would always press L/R when I got hit in any Smash regardless.

I would always think that's why I would survive sometimes when I got hit. Funny how it is actually a thing.

Pappasman

Lmao @ V canceling.15 years and going strong baby.

Seriously though the actual application and effect of this is so limited that it really doesnt have any practical application in a human match.

Lmao @ V canceling.15 years and going strong baby.

Seriously though the actual application and effect of this is so limited that it really doesnt have any practical application in a human match.

Yeah it's almost like the Ganon players in PM that thought short hop float to horizontal wave land was more efficient than wave dashing, but it ended up being like a frame of difference.

For TAS it's neat, for "I will lose if I don't take this chance" it's cool, but like moonwalking I bet a majority of players have tons of fundamentals they can work on and will probably never touch this.

For example, neither of my characters in PM really benefit from moonwalking or wave bouncing, so I've never bothered to learn them.

With that being said, biweekly tomorrow and the big house this weekend. Life is good.

emb

The new cancelling thing is super situational. Will probably be useful when you're forced to recover high. So mainly Fox, Falcon and Ganon would benefit? Even then, the window seems tiny and will probably get missed a bunch. Peach too maybe? Idk if she can do it when she's floating down with parasol.

With that being said, biweekly tomorrow and the big house this weekend. Life is good.
We have two or three little locals this weekend, and I'm still not sure if I want to go to any or just sit at home and watch BH5. It's a good time to like Smash.

Big House is kind of a bummer though; PP decided not to go, PPU dropped, now Leffen too. Takes away a bit of the prestige. Still, tons of great play will be going on.

Anth0ny

amazing that we are still discovering stuff about this game. who wants to make the thread: GAME CHANGING TECH DISCOVERED IN 15 YEAR OLD GAME

The new cancelling thing is super situational. Will probably be useful when you're forced to recover high. So mainly Fox, Falcon and Ganon would benefit? Even then, the window seems tiny and will probably get missed a bunch. Peach too maybe? Idk if she can do it when she's floating down with parasol.

amsa made a video with peach. looks like it works with her.

leffen said he wants to make a video about the tech, claiming it is "so fucking huge". wow.

We have two or three little locals this weekend, and I'm still not sure if I want to go to any or just sit at home and watch BH5. It's a good time to like Smash.

Do what we do - save a monitor / laptop for streaming the tournament so people can watch in between matches :D

leffen said he wants to make a video about the tech, claiming it is "so fucking huge". wow.

Yeah for the pros looking for new stuff it's big - us mere mortals are still thinking of all the other stuff we haven't learned in 15 years of play :p

Top Bottom