• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The chat had me dying with m2K on the mic.

So up to this point we have seen literally everyone play on stream except for one person. Of course the last person we see play is PPMD. What a god.

xezuru

NOT OPTIMAL

edit: M2K on commentary is the fucking best

Nah, unless there's a specific case. M2K + Mang0 on the mic is god tier, normally M2K options speak overpowers everyone and turns into frame rambling, Mang0 has the ego to keep that in check, 100 straight friendliest wins does that, case n point every Mang0/M2K commentary highlight.

Also, I forgot how fucking forgot (not really) how fucking clean PP's marth fundamentals / neutral looks.

redirects force the financial liability on the other person. he lost the challenge he made and redirected the challenge leveled at him.

No, he lost to Axe after challenging him, then he lost to SFAT later off a Shroomed redirect iirc (and if it was a direct challenge, does it actually change anything?)

also, what are the 4 crews?

No, he lost to Axe after challenging him, then he lost to SFAT later off a Shroomed redirect iirc (and if it was a direct challenge, does it actually change anything?)

also, what are the 4 crews?

oh. woops i missed that one. then i think you're right. summit's chart-maker might've goofed
as for crews: updating as the matches play out just in case somebody is spectating by proxy:

alex19, mang0, lucky, s2j

swedish, westballz, ppmd, plup

kage, armada, sfat, shroomed.

zhu, m2k... ppu and axe.

My god. crew-mode kage continues to rock it. took 6 stocks- all of alex19 and 2 of s2j.
crew-mode shroomed continues to buster.

match ended on armada v mango, went to last stock, raised my blood pressure, my heart exploded, i am dead.

emb

My god. crew-mode kage continues to rock it. took 6 stocks- all of alex19 and 2 of s2j.
crew-mode shroomed continues to buster.

match ended on armada v mango, went to last stock, raised my blood pressure, my heart exploded, i am dead.
Last match of the crew battle was incredible. Haven't seen Mango play that good in a minute.

Tomohawk

just caught up to crew battles, I'm glad kage is performing. I started to believe the hate and think he was going to win anything.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got a new boss, and I think that's about the beginning of the end of my attempt to play Melee. Can't go practice weekly. Definitely not going to the next couple monthlies, beyond that who knows. Looking at going back to school next semester, which itself wouldn't be too bad, but juggling school + full time job isn't going to leave much opportunity for anything else.

Will probably still play some Melee and PM with my brother when I get a chance, but as far as actively trying to improve goes, I'd say it's about over.

that pichu ditto on pokefloats though

THAT PIKACHU LEDGE ATTACK AGAINST MARTH'S UP B THOUGH

this comment just gave me some kind of existential flashback. how did i manage to watch that much melee today.

how am i going to manage to watch that much more melee all weekend.

TO11 will be right there if i get bored of summit, too

emb

this comment just gave me some kind of existential flashback. how did i manage to watch that much melee today.

how am i going to manage to watch that much more melee all weekend.

TO11 will be right there if i get bored of summit, too
Life's gonna be hard. I got stuff to do this weekend.

Anth0ny

Got a new boss, and I think that's about the beginning of the end of my attempt to play Melee. Can't go practice weekly. Definitely not going to the next couple monthlies, beyond that who knows. Looking at going back to school next semester, which itself wouldn't be too bad, but juggling school + full time job isn't going to leave much opportunity for anything else.

Will probably still play some Melee and PM with my brother when I get a chance, but as far as actively trying to improve goes, I'd say it's about over.

welcome to life. I went through the same thing a couple years ago, preventing me from playing melee. now all I can do is watch it, talk about it on gaf, and maybe play some level 9 CPUs.

Daouzin

When does the Summit start again?

As much as Melee fans love the doc, it needs to be admitted that the way Brawl was portrayed was biased and fans of that game are still feeling the effects of it to this day in the form of the post-doc kids.

I really don't think the documentary got anything wrong. I'm sure Brawl had a big impact on regions that didn't have a big Smash community or in smaller regions in general. Where Brawl was a good place for them to mimic what the Melee community was doing. However in AZ/CA and other major Smash regions, Brawl was honestly just a footnote of a terrible time for Melee.

I remember the phone call the night of "E for All," when my best friend called me just to tell me how bad the game was. He was there as well as my other Smash friends and they were all joking how hard it would be to give the game a shot. Amusingly enough they stuck with the game for almost 2 years. I also recall the only Smasher (notable) that had faith in it was GimpyFish.

I think what people don't realize is that the Smash scene wasn't divided before Brawl. The Smash scene was primarily a Melee scene with respect and love and nostalgia for 64.

Even if the documentary got the Brawl scene, "wrong," which as far as every Smasher I know, including players that joined from Brawl, have said, isn't wrong. The documentary was clearly from the perspective of the "Smash community," before and after the release of Brawl. Brawl didn't survive past 2 years so of course the documentary is going to be biased because the majority of the community members came from 64/Melee and don't have love for Brawl. There was a very distinctive gut retching feeling that I won't ever forget from the first moment I played Brawl.

I had the same gut-retch playing Smash 4 for the first time at E3. However, I knew the Melee scene was strong so it didn't faze me. Now I like Smash 4. It's a great gateway game to get people into the community. Friends of mine that hated Smash talk now play Smash 4 themselves and I play Smash 4 primarily to get them better.

I think the documentary captured Brawl exactly right from the perspective of people that were in the scene since 2004 and on. Which I'd argue is the perspective and the players the documentary is about to begin with.

I think it's more just the competitive smash community vs. the casual smash community having trouble getting along. Unfortunately, this will always be the case. Most of the casual smash players move on to the newest game, so it seems like it's melee vs smash 4, when it's really not.

I agree with this entirely. The most hardcore Brawl/Smash 4 Defenders that I've encountered haven't traveled across multiple states to enter a tournament and haven't literally gone through the emotional gauntlet for the game.

My friends and I joked the other night about how funny newcomers are that get angry when they lose. They have no right to get angry, you don't get that right until you have literally cried because of the game, because of a tournament match that you know you COULD have won, that you knew you really wanted to win. When you know you have no one to blame, but yourself.

Are you serious dude? Your post is all sorts of wrong.

1. The biggest Brawl/Smash 4 regions in the US are SoCal/Florida/Tristate, and hey look, the first 2 are also two of the biggest Melee regions and Tristate is also fairly big.

2. Brawl was still relevant up to 2012, after 2013 it just crashed and burned but that's still 5 whole years, the majority of which it was bigger than Melee.

My friends and I joked the other night about how funny newcomers are that get angry when they lose. They have no right to get angry, you don't get that right until you have literally cried because of the game, because of a tournament match that you know you COULD have won, that you knew you really wanted to win. When you know you have no one to blame, but yourself.

Wait, what?

You shouldn't invalidate someone's feelings because you've "felt" more than they have or feel they haven't "been" there long enough.

That's the kind of elitist talk that causes the rift between newcomers and long term players.

If I meet a new player I always ask them how long they've been playing competitively. When they say "3 months / 6 months" I make sure to remind them that a lot of our regulars have been playing for upwards of a decade, so they shouldn't get discouraged if they lose at first. Then I give them one or two things to think about each game we play.

Anth0ny

Six years ago, professional SSBM player William Hjelte was told that he would never walk again but now he is attempting to walk more than 26 miles (42km) at Sunday's London Marathon thanks to a pair of "robot legs", which have transformed his life

Six years ago, professional SSBM player William Hjelte was told that he would never walk again but now he is attempting to walk more than 26 miles (42km) at Sunday's London Marathon thanks to a pair of "robot legs", which have transformed his life

That's some dank copypasta.

Daouzin

Wait, what?

You shouldn't invalidate someone's feelings because you've "felt" more than they have or feel they haven't "been" there long enough.

That's the kind of elitist talk that causes the rift between newcomers and long term players.

If I meet a new player I always ask them how long they've been playing competitively. When they say "3 months / 6 months" I make sure to remind them that a lot of our regulars have been playing for upwards of a decade, so they shouldn't get discouraged if they lose at first. Then I give them one or two things to think about each game we play.

Of course not, I wouldn't either. I always give advice and I always remind players of the same thing. It's like, "look, I've been here ALONG TIME."

Newcomers get good really fast. The talk I mentioned is among close friends talking about newcomers that get really really really salty. Like so salty that you have to start sandbagging against them or they'll walk out the venue.

Watching it now. So good.

emb

I can't remember the details of the doc off hand right now.

But I think portraying Brawl negatively is mostly fair, given that the documentary is Melee-focused. The Melee players, the characters that had been emphasized, mostly weren't big fans and it's their story.

I do wish they had added more though. Could go back and do a whole episode on it and the community divide. Don't remember if they talked about it, but I'd have loved to hear more from Ken and M2K about Brawl. As I recall, M2K hated the game at first, wanted to just play Melee, but learned the new game and dominated anyway. Ken enjoyed Brawl when it came out, was ready to move on, and competed in (lol) Evo 2k8.

Anth0ny

I can't remember the details of the doc off hand right now.

But I think portraying Brawl negatively is mostly fair, given that the documentary is Melee-focused. The Melee players, the characters that had been emphasized, mostly weren't big fans and it's their story.

I do wish they had added more though. Could go back and do a whole episode on it and the community divide. Don't remember if they talked about it, but I'd have loved to hear more from Ken and M2K about Brawl. As I recall, M2K hated the game at first, wanted to just play Melee, but learned the new game and dominated anyway. Ken enjoyed Brawl when it came out, was ready to move on, and competed in (lol) Evo 2k8.

Mew2king said:
First off Ken, I will **** you in a Melee Marth ditto, and with Sheik, and with Fox, if you’re talking about at the moment,

sf4xkOt.gif

Old school smashboards shit talk is the greatest

Anth0ny

catching up now

armada's sheik is so damn good, wow

m2k's marth getting 4 stocked by a fox on fd had me biblethumping irl

Top Bottom