• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

FZZ

Banned
Tipped Off 11's Smash 4 and PM Singles have finished and we are watching Melee Doubles bracket on stream right now

Lmao what is going on

emb

Mango already sounded defeated talking about this set last night. I'm not surprised it got to him so badly after the heartbreaking first game loss.

FZZ

Banned
Holy fuck M2K needs to stick with Marth that's his answer to Armada's Peach

If he had picked up on the shield dropping bair I am 100% it would've went to Game 5.

emb

M2K only took it to 3-1, but he played super great. Looking much more patient in that matchup this time.

emb

I want to see Plup make another nice upset, but moreso I wanna see that Mango M2K runback. I bet Mango takes it back to fountain as much as he can.

So our Extra Life Smash tournaments were a big success:

PM

Melee

Smash 4

By far the biggest tournaments we've had in our town. I was TO for PM and Smash 4, which made it kind of hectic. Took us only 8 hours though!

I got top 8 in PM, almost made it to top 8 in Melee.
My bro got 3rd in PM, so we're pretty happy.

Now time to do PR point allocations for them...

Pappasman

So our Extra Life Smash tournaments were a big success:

PM

Melee

Smash 4

By far the biggest tournaments we've had in our town. I was TO for PM and Smash 4, which made it kind of hectic. Took us only 8 hours though!

I got top 8 in PM, almost made it to top 8 in Melee.
My bro got 3rd in PM, so we're pretty happy.

Now time to do PR point allocations for them...

wow good shit dude.

FZZ

Banned
That was some bad Melee what you talking about

After game 3 they both started choking BAD with game 5 being the worst

Anth0ny

OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO CLOSE

MANGO PLS ; _ ;

this tournament was so good. so many great sets and combos. also the 4 man commentary teams were so great. I love having 2 real commentators and 2 pros talking over each game. I think it's going to be hard going back to the 2 man format after this weekend lol

also, the 4 gods on a couch segment was a highlight of the weekend. so funny.

FZZ

Banned
Ya okay, they were both so bad /rolleyes

No shit they were choking and dropping stuff. That doesn't make it any less exciting.

Mango/Armada on point > constant forward smashes from falco, dropped strings, and failed edge guards

Being more tense doesn't make it good Melee, it makes it tense Melee. And being pissy with your reply doesn't make your points more correct.

Jigolo

Grand finals was fantastic.

Awesome tournament for sure albeit a bit too long IMO. 3 days would've been perfect.

Daouzin

Mango/Armada on point > constant forward smashes from falco, dropped strings, and failed edge guards

Being more tense doesn't make it good Melee, it makes it tense Melee. And being pissy with your reply doesn't make your points more correct.

Dude, the last two pages you've been salty and confrontational in most of your posts.

Okay that's an exaggeration, but every time you post there's like a 33% chance I'll roll my eyes.

That was some bad Melee what you talking about

After game 3 they both started choking BAD with game 5 being the worst

Biased commentary is anooooooooyyyying

Anth0ny

Mango: I like the puff matchup

Armada: Yeah I'm okay with fighting Puff

PPMD: M2K what do you think of the puff matchup

*m2k glares*

/dead

Pappasman

4 gods commentary confirmed unbeatable.

also we don't need fighting in this thread. lets just move on instead of accusing people of stuff. we just love melee :)

Codeblue

Gods commentary was too good.

I feel optimistic about the US gods. PPMD's movement looked great today, he just needs to improve his Marth punish game. Mang0 focusing on Falco made this probably the best he's looked this year aside from the double salty runback. M2K seems like he's leaving this thing with a positive attitude.

Hoping the era of Sweden sweeping everything is coming to an end. Tough to tell with Leffen being MIA for so long though.

FZZ

Banned
The four god closing out comments was great to see. Even though PP doesn't feel comfortable in his play for Dreamhack mentally he seems much better and more comfortable, same goes for M2K.

Hope to see more Beyond The Summit smash in general. This was honestly very well done, and hopefully more great content can come out of things like this.

Dude, the last two pages you've been salty and confrontational in most of your posts.

Okay that's an exaggeration, but every time you post there's like a 33% chance I'll roll my eyes.

?

I don't see anything wrong with those posts. First one was complaining about Scar and Toph's commentary because they often do get carried away and never called out for it outside of a few stray posts on reddit. And the second one I think the only thing confrontational was the capitalization of the bad? Even then I said their choking was bad and not their play. Which is why I didn't say they played bad just that they choked really badly.

I am sure I have made many exaggerated posts earlier but I definitely caught myself on that and tried to stop, hell if I am too into the matches going on I don't even post on GAF during my reactions because I get way too carried away.

If you have a big problem with my posts you can always ignore I honestly won't mind.

Anth0ny

Mango: Of course you have more twitter followers, do you see what he posts on there? It's like a roller coaster you never know what to expect

M2K:

1359647817463995256oisrr.gif

*END STREAM*

Daouzin

Tipped off has jumped dramatically in viewers, haha:

http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash

If you have a big problem with my posts you can always ignore I honestly won't mind.

I plan to, I just accept that on most Smash related things we will have to agree to disagree.

Mango: Of course you have more twitter followers, do you see what he posts on there? It's like a roller coaster you never know what to expect

M2K:

1359647817463995256oisrr.gif

*END STREAM*

Haha, I'm sad that I missed this.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
That was a good grand finals.

But I think the Summit got closed out in the best way possible. The four gods on the couch again, and this time because it was all over, they actually had a serious conversation. It was pretty goddamn cool to see Mang0 seriously compliment PPMD on his ability to analyze and counsel sets/players. It was excellent to see Armada show that he wants everyone to keep getting better when he talked to Mang0 and PPMD about them pushing matchups. M2K is still and always M2K yet the others accept him fully. It was great to hear them all agree on many things and talk about the community and how it needs the top 6 as a unit, even if just one of them left it would hurt the community.

And as far as play, I think we saw a lot of stuff that's going to set up for 2016. PPMD turned everything around the most. Despite him losing 3-1 to Armada, he looked really good (his dash dances are really ridiculous) and may be juicing up to return to form - compared to Thursday and Friday.

Mang0 looked strong. He talked about how if he focuses on one spacie, it's stronger. Makes sense, and I think we may see the revival of the bird with Mang0 and PPMD leading the charge. That grand finals was respectable and Mang0 looked and sounded happy about it.

Armada, what a player. At times his Peach looks absolutely terrifying, even against another god. He has proven himself, and 2015 is his year. He deserves it.

BlueMagic

I enjoyed the hell out of this tourney. So, so good.
Commentary in general was great (I do get the Scar and Toph's criticism), and a lot of the matches and events were excellent.
Also, some chokes on the grand finals but so good still. Loving how Mango is looking for the future.

GamerJM

Banned
The last four days were probably the most fun I've had spectating Smash, and up there with some of the most fun I've had spectating games in general (EVO 2013 and 2015 probably top it overall though).

emb

Glad to see DruggedFox win a big regional (almost a small major, was kinda weird having all that talent without top players.)

Mango in the post Summit interview was oddly calm and real. Seemed almost out of character. Also, cutting out as M2K attacked was pretty funny.

emb

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, The Rocky.

aka the greatest marth combo of all times
Was super happy to see that live. As soon as I saw him walking back up, I had a feeling we'd see a shield break. Close enough.

Commentary there was incredibly on point. Good stuff Blur, PP, Toph and Scar.

Top Bottom