• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

Hey guys, I've been making FGC threads on gaming when there's enough tournaments to justify it. I also been including Smash tournaments in my write ups unless another person wanted to make a thread for it.

I know Smash summit is coming up. If somebody wants to either create a thread, or do a write up so I can include the info in the thread for next week, I would appreciate it. If that doesn't happen, I'll try to include as much info as I can, but I can't promise, it'll be the stuff you might be looking for outside of stream schedules, twitch channels, etc.

Thanks.
Quoting for the new page just in case anyone who could get together a write-up missed it.

But we always do our own threads for smash tourneys, what's the difference here?

I think Trion is just looking for some info to add to the overall weekend tournament megathread so the Smash games get some love.

Anyways, our Extra Life charity tournament is this Saturday, but I doubt we'll be streaming it as the Summit is this weekend too.

But, it'll feel good to have a biweekly going again after our main venue closed, and it's for a good cause too.

fun fact: prior to 2015 there were 32 tournaments with 200+ entrants

This year alone, there's already been 18 tournaments with that many, and that's just using the Smash Wiki list, which I know is missing at least several Mayhem monthlies if not more (and of course stuff like Tipped Off 11 that is coming up).

wait hold up, the Liquipedia list is way better....there's 27 total and counting

xezuru

So how we ranking the most cringe smash discussions/threads in gaming forums at the end of the year, cause this shit gets me every time. lol

FZZ

Banned
Tipped Off 11 and BTS in the same weekend huh

Should be interesting to see how this affects viewer count

GamerJM

Banned
On the subject of Smash threads, I don't get why GAF's Melee and Smash 4 communities have trouble getting along. That's what I find most annoying about other Smash topics, within most other Smash communities it feels like Melee players and Smash 4 players at least have a mutual respect for each other even if they don't care for the other game. Drive-by shitposters not understanding Melee as a competitive game I can actually kind of tolerate because Melee is sort of an anomaly in the world of video games so it's understandable that people don't grasp why people don't move to the "newest game," but I'm pretty sure I've seen people who are at least somewhat invested in Smash 4 and participate in its community here not understanding why people like Melee even though it's been explained in every topic about Melee (I'm not calling out anyone in specific here because I don't remember anyone specifically doing it, just it happening in general).

On the subject of Smash threads, I don't get why GAF's Melee and Smash 4 communities have trouble getting along. That's what I find most annoying about other Smash topics, within most other Smash communities it feels like Melee players and Smash 4 players at least have a mutual respect for each other even if they don't care for the other game. Drive-by shitposters not understanding Melee as a competitive game I can actually kind of tolerate because Melee is sort of an anomaly in the world of video games so it's understandable that people don't grasp why people don't move to the "newest game," but I'm pretty sure I've seen people who are at least somewhat invested in Smash 4 and participate in its community here not understanding why people like Melee even though it's been explained in every topic about Melee.

But I like Melee and Smash 4 :(

People who aren't into the competitive scene tend to be the toxic posters from what I've seen anyhow...

FZZ

Banned
On the subject of Smash threads, I don't get why GAF's Melee and Smash 4 communities have trouble getting along. That's what I find most annoying about other Smash topics, within most other Smash communities it feels like Melee players and Smash 4 players at least have a mutual respect for each other even if they don't care for the other game. Drive-by shitposters not understanding Melee as a competitive game I can actually kind of tolerate because Melee is sort of an anomaly in the world of video games so it's understandable that people don't grasp why people don't move to the "newest game," but I'm pretty sure I've seen people who are at least somewhat invested in Smash 4 and participate in its community here not understanding why people like Melee even though it's been explained in every topic about Melee (I'm not calling out anyone in specific here because I don't remember anyone specifically doing it, just it happening in general).

I think it's one of two things. Stream monsters and the general impression that people have of Smash 4 players as a result of the doc.

If you have seen any of the Smash 4 major's Melee "fans" go out of their way to shit on all things Smash 4 and irritate Smash 4 viewers in the stream chat. What this ends up doing is that Smash 4 fans who have had no real interactions with actual Melee fans (i.e people who actually go to the tournaments and participate in tourneys or at the very least contribute to the community) end up being left with a bad impression of Melee fans, when in reality they have only met stream monsters. Of course all you need to do is turn off Twitch chat so obviously this isn't everyone's reasoning or justification for why they don't get Melee players.

My second point is that the notion that Brawl was hated by many as pointed out by the documentary. Even though the doc talks about a divide between the community I find it ironic that the doc itself created an even bigger stigma and divide between the two communities, especially since it was painted in a very biased point of view. None of that is Samox's fault but even in interviews (specifically one with Chillindude) he said he had no idea how the Brawl, and what now comprises the majority of the Smash 4 community was. Also having ONLY Melee players give their impressions on Brawl was a bad decision and only shat on the Brawl community even more.

As much as Melee fans love the doc, it needs to be admitted that the way Brawl was portrayed was biased and fans of that game are still feeling the effects of it to this day in the form of the post-doc kids.

PPMD showing up to things this past week has made me pretty hyped for summit. The Canada Cup highlights were pretty cool, and right now he's at foundry chatting with toph and getting all analytical about things the different top 6 playerss are good at (and is also in his own words "inebriated."

Also apparently he's been plowing through bracket using mario and falcon. said he doesn't want to have to stay late so he's ok with getting sent packing early. IDK if he'll follow through or if he'll switch out when he smacks into somebody who can take him. I guess if shroomed stays marth they can just have a drunken sandbagging contest.

also there was a phil vs hmw set a minute ago that they commented on while playing and was pretty hilarious. maybe i should check out foundry more often for my tuesday background noise.

Anth0ny

I think it's more just the competitive smash community vs. the casual smash community having trouble getting along. Unfortunately, this will always be the case. Most of the casual smash players move on to the newest game, so it seems like it's melee vs smash 4, when it's really not.

If you have seen any of the Smash 4 major's Melee "fans" go out of their way to shit on all things Smash 4 and irritate Smash 4 viewers in the stream chat. What this ends up doing is that Smash 4 fans who have had no real interactions with actual Melee fans (i.e people who actually go to the tournaments and participate in tourneys or at the very least contribute to the community) end up being left with a bad impression of Melee fans, when in reality they have only met stream monsters. Of course all you need to do is turn off Twitch chat so obviously this isn't everyone's reasoning or justification for why they don't get Melee players.

Twitch chat is so bad lmao, it's funny seeing some trolls flaming Melee while Melee is on then turning around and flaming Smash 4 when Smash 4 is on and everyone still biting even after it's obvious that it's trollbait.

Pappasman

Tbh i feel that the way Brawl is regarded is justified.

I liked the game a lot when it launched, and its given me and my friends countless hours of fun, but its earned the reputation it has.

Brawl ICs are really fun though.

GamerJM

Banned

I don't think this is just stream monsters but a lot of Melee fans on other sites, specifically pre-doc. I didn't get into Melee until a year ago and used to like Brawl more, and in like 2008-2009 Melee fans on GameFAQs were hella obnoxious to people who liked Brawl. But that's partially just because GameFAQs is terrible. I feel like a lot of people on GAF probably went to some smaller gaming site before GAF, where people similar to "stream monsters," went and acted obnoxious.

Tripon

pfEUs6v.png

I've been busy, tired and sick this week. The combo is leading me to not post a fight ing game thread this week. Here is the stream schedule for summit. Somebody else, please make a thread if you want.

emb

i have just created a thread for major fighting game tournaments happening this weekend including smash summit
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=184257278

apologies for any inaccuracy with the information i have regarding smash summit as i do not follow the smash scene.
No worries, we appreciate the shoutout. :)

It was mentioned in that thread already, but you should throw in a line or two about Tipped Off as well. It's gonna be pretty big too.

pixelish

No worries, we appreciate the shoutout. :)

It was mentioned in that thread already, but you should throw in a line or two about Tipped Off as well. It's gonna be pretty big too.

edited the op to include the details for tipped off. i hope i got it right.

MattDotZeb is an ambitious madman of a TO:

BUST 3 tournament structure

TL;DR: 256 player cap. 8-man round-robin pools. two players in each pool sent to each 4 different 64 man brackets: Pro, intermediate, amateur, and buster.
All attempting to get done in one day cause the venue was already booked on sunday.

The worst case scenario for an ultra-turbo buster like me was to get to play 7 pool matchs and then get beaten down twice by the regular busters in bracket.

I was going this tournament until my November travel plans changed. all that missed tourney fun....all that missed practice...

I'll never get to defy logic by going 0-9 at a tournament now, unless I still live here next year for BUST 4, and this insane setup doesn't break MDZ and whoever is working with him.

I guess I'll have to just get my soul swallowed 2 sets at a time at the regular melee weeklies instead...

xezuru

20 min until Summit, prolly gonna sneak peaks from work, hopefully mango doesn't burn the house down on my way home.

Standings

1. Mango-$325
2. PewPewU-$275
3. Zhu-$250
3. M2K-$250
3. SFAT-$250
3. Alex19-$250
7. Kage-$225
8. S2J-$200
8. Axe-$250
8. PPMD-$200
11. Plup-$150
11. Lucky-$150
13. Swedish Delight-$125
13. Armada-$125
13. Westballz-$125
16. Shroomed-$100

So far:

Zhu challenges Kage and wins 2-0 (+50 Zhu, -50 Kage)
Shroomed challenges Mango and loses 2-0 (+50 Mango, -50 Shroomed)
PewPewU challenges Plup and wins 2-0 (+50 PewPewU, -50 Plup)
Lucky challenges Axe and loses 2-0 (+50 Axe, -50 Lucky)
Swedish Delight challenges Mango to a low tier battle, loses 2-1 (+75 Mango, -75 Swedish Delight)
Armada picks M2K as his teammate and challenges Zhu to a doubles match, redirected to PewPewU/SFAT and loses 2-0 (+50 SFAT, +25 PewPewU, -75 Armada)
Westballz challenges Kage to a low tier battle, loses 2-1 (+75 Kage, -75 Westballz)
Alex19 challenges Shroomed, wins 2-1 (+50 Alex19, -50 Shroomed)
Axe challenges M2K to a Pichu mirror match, loses 2-0? (+50 M2K, -50 Axe? not sure)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This is...SO AMAZING. Holy fuck, the production quality, the vibe, everything is just right.

Of course damn near everyone besides PPMD has played yet. -_-

Top Bottom