• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Anth0ny

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm NOT going to use my 10 day old Fox in this tournament. My tech skill is waaaaaay too sloppy, I'm gonna get completely fucked up. Going Marth, and hopefully in a few months I'll be comfortable enough with Fox to use him in tourney.

Okay. Here's what you do,

PERFECTLY SPACE EVERYTHING AND PERFECTLY PUNISH EVERYTHING.

Think you can do that?

Yes, I've heard this is the strategy.

Get too close, her aerials/down smash fuck me up. Get too far, she starts setting up the float aerials and turnip spam.

At Smash on Tap on Wednesday I lost in the first round to a Peach and felt so lost in the matchup ; _ ;

Patience

Don't let her land

What should I do when she just short hops and floats, waiting for me to make a move? Go in with fairs? Up tilt? If I land a hit, what do I follow up with?

I'm furiously studying M2K vs Armada from this weekend and PPMD/Armada sets right now.

you still have time to learn puff :p

Pick Jigglypuff, spam bair.

yeah I got this advice at the tournament too :p

Don't crouch cancel Peach, it ain't worth it.

Also waveshines mess her up bad.

Apparently down tilt is sooooo good against Peach though. So scared to throw it out and get caught by the washing machine. I also seem to jump into Peach when she's on a platform and she catches me with that down smash so much.

I think I just need to be more patient and really understand the spacing game here. My sword should fuck her up at the right range.

Don't get chain grabbed by Marth & Peach! Know your counter picks!

all I know is dreamland is hella good for peach

Shun

KSB 2016 will have their Smash 4 and their Smash DX/Melee tournament tomorrow at around this time.

Reminder if people want to see Japanese player compete.

emb

What should I do when she just short hops and floats, waiting for me to make a move? Go in with fairs? Up tilt? If I land a hit, what do I follow up with?

I'm furiously studying M2K vs Armada from this weekend and PPMD/Armada sets right now.
Studying those sets is definitely the thing to do.

I feel like the answer to dealing with floats depends a lot on how far she is from you, and what height. If she's about at the top of a sh (or especially a little higher) it can be pretty dangerous. She's lagless so jab or dsmash come out super fast after landing.

If they're too close and they float long enough, it's a good opportunity to throw out your fair/utilt/side b/ftilt. If she's in the air she can't crouch cancel your hits. It's hard though, because if she's close and fast with using a move, you'll probably at least trade. If there's not enough time, you can probably try to shield and roll away but shielding is really not where you wanna be. Shield is a bad spot almost all the time in the matchup, unless she's dash attacking.

If she's further away and you have room, try to wait her out a little. As time passes, the number of spots she can land in diminishes. If you have a good read on where she plans to land, you can stay outside her range and go for dtilts. Dtilt is definitely your hitbox of choice if she's on the ground. Mix up with dd grab, but be super careful. You can't dd as close to, or through, her shield as much because dsmash is such a threat. If you keep to your space though dsmash happy Peach certainly gets grabbed a lot and it feels really satisfying.

Other note: try to take stage from her early as you can. If you stay close in she has a harder time pulling a turnip, and you really want to be nearby to punish if she pulls one.

Other note: try to take stage from her early as you can. If you stay close in she has a harder time pulling a turnip, and you really want to be nearby to punish if she pulls one.

Yep. You want to control flow in the matchup.

If she pulls turnips, just wait them out, possibly reflect them too.

If she floats, you're faster than she is so outrun it.

If she closes distance, shine, dair, nair are your best friends. They come out fast enough to get you out of trades and such. Don't stay grounded close to her for too long, lest you eat a dsmash from her.

If she pulls turnips close range, punish with dair to waveshine to usmash.

Basically, play more patient than you would normally at first, but teach the Peach player they can't do anything for free without getting punished in some way.

Don't be afraid to back up and watch the Peach whiff a move every so often. They'll try to use dsmash, nair, and bair to get out of bad situations and you're much faster than Peach.

Anth0ny

Studying those sets is definitely the thing to do.

I feel like the answer to dealing with floats depends a lot on how far she is from you, and what height. If she's about at the top of a sh (or especially a little higher) it can be pretty dangerous. She's lagless so jab or dsmash come out super fast after landing.

If they're too close and they float long enough, it's a good opportunity to throw out your fair/utilt/side b/ftilt. If she's in the air she can't crouch cancel your hits. It's hard though, because if she's close and fast with using a move, you'll probably at least trade. If there's not enough time, you can probably try to shield and roll away but shielding is really not where you wanna be. Shield is a bad spot almost all the time in the matchup, unless she's dash attacking.

If she's further away and you have room, try to wait her out a little. As time passes, the number of spots she can land in diminishes. If you have a good read on where she plans to land, you can stay outside her range and go for dtilts. Dtilt is definitely your hitbox of choice if she's on the ground. Mix up with dd grab, but be super careful. You can't dd as close to, or through, her shield as much because dsmash is such a threat. If you keep to your space though dsmash happy Peach certainly gets grabbed a lot and it feels really satisfying.

Thanks for the tips. I just watched a bunch of M2K, PPMD and Pew Pew U matches of them winning against all the top tiers and took about 15 pages of notes. It's a start.

Also, Pools for EGLX are up. By the grace of god I'm not paired with Armada, Mango or any of the other gods. It'll just be Weon X double 4 stocking me this time around.

GamerJM

Banned
This is amazing, the top are signing autographs non stop.

Except m2k he's fucking up a level 1 fox

I didn't get any autogrpahs at Genesis because I felt like it would be awkward and the top players don't really like it

Should I get some when I go to Evo

Anth0ny

They're getting pictures, autographed controllers, art prints, melee boxes... It's nuts. Every time gods get up from a setup there's people waiting for them to sign something.

Pappasman

I wasn't able to make it out of pools at NWM8 today but I did alright. Went all Marth and when we were done we just played friendlies. Unfortunately for me I played soooo much better in friendlies with falco. Round robin pools are the best though.

Oh I was also able to take a round off of Justin Wong in my SFV pool. I definitely impressed myself there.

My marth v falco struggle is real. I want to play marth, but my falco just performs better in more situations...

Fugu

I wasn't able to make it out of pools at NWM8 today but I did alright. Went all Marth and when we were done we just played friendlies. Unfortunately for me I played soooo much better in friendlies with falco. Round robin pools are the best though.

Oh I was also able to take a round off of Justin Wong in my SFV pool. I definitely impressed myself there.

My marth v falco struggle is real. I want to play marth, but my falco just performs better in more situations...
Having the same problem. I want to play Peach but I win more as Marth.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Woooow, he couldn't even get the shine -> shdl loop? Pathetic. Kappa

(idk if that's even a thing really)

Looked impressively clean there.

I'm not even sure how you get out of that as Falcon if the Fox is doing it perfectly, you can't SDI away because there is a tree in the way. And I don't think you can tech it.

emb

I'm not even sure how you get out of that as Falcon if the Fox is doing it perfectly, you can't SDI away because there is a tree in the way. And I don't think you can tech it.
I don't think there's anything you can do. This is why PS is counterpick.

Neol

:( Leffen

Dude barely gets to compete and no one was cheering for him

Yea the bias is pretty strong.

I do like leffen a lot but in the end if its a fox vs pikachu matchup I think most of the time people would cheer Pikachu regardless of the player.

emb

Axe/Leffen and M2K/Mango were both super close and great to watch. The M2K set felt like it was better overall, but at the end it seemed like M2K and Mango were both choking.

FZZ

Banned
Yea the bias is pretty strong.

I do like leffen a lot but in the end if its a fox vs pikachu matchup I think most of the time people would cheer Pikachu regardless of the player.

Nah I understand cheering for Axe, it's just hearing no cheering for Leffen made me :c

No one is cheering leffen over drake in Toronto

Dude just dropped an album

Yeah but Leffen is the REAL 6 God

👀

FZZ

Banned
Leffen has a problem is Samus

Immaculate play from duck #quack

Just pick up Sheik I don't get it. It's the reason Armada picked up Fox, for his worst matchups.

Sheik could run a train on both Samus and Pikachu.

Actually I'd rather him start using Yoshi against those MUs, but idk how it actually goes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just pick up Sheik I don't get it. It's the reason Armada picked up Fox, for his worst matchups.

Sheik could run a train on both Samus and Pikachu.

Actually I'd rather him start using Yoshi against those MUs, but idk how it actually goes.

He just needs to learn the matchups. Fox doesn't lose to anyone, but Samus is one of the tougher matchups.

Top Bottom