• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

I feel like this has happened before. Was it at Big House last year? These Supermajors are starting to blur together among the gods.

I don't even dislike Armada or HBox, just that specific player matchup isn't that interesting to watch compared to just about every other one.

I'm excited for the next couple of Canada majors since Leffen will for sure shake things up at least.
I wouldn't say for sure. There might be a Samus there.

People saying that Armada was only defensive really need to rewatch those two sets.

The commentators have put it best in the past

Mango is the most aggressive, all over the Puff. High risk, big reward.

M2K is the most defensive, usually always on the other side. Just corners yourself.

Armada is usually in the middle of the stage. He's a balance between the two, Able to switch between the styles so effortlessly. His stage control and spacing is truly godlikes. His aggressive shine tech chases were also on-point today.

Anth0ny

11N2mql.png

"The Combo"

FZZ

Banned
People saying that Armada was only defensive really need to rewatch those two sets.

The commentators have put it best in the past

Mango is the most aggressive, all over the Puff. High risk, big reward.

M2K is the most defensive, usually always on the other side. Just corners yourself.

Armada is usually in the middle of the stage. He's a balance between the two, Able to switch between the styles so effortlessly. His stage control and spacing is truly godlikes. His aggressive shine tech chases were also on-point today.

I'll give him the shine techchases which were dope, and that aggro start to game one during the second set was great as well

But when he starts shooting lasers man, I can just feel the frustration of not having any answer to that.

Smash Summit was so entertaining.

Also I was hoping to go to the PM Arcadian in SoCal next weekend, but I gotta work :/ Hopefully I can move my days off to the Big Balc days to make up for it.

Bakkus

Sucks that Mango fucking up the last stock against Hbox was all it took for this tourney to go from legendary to a turkey. Still pissed.

emb

Also check with your local Smash players. Melee folks tend to know better than to throw away a good crt.

Also also check yard sales. People practically give the things away pretty often.

Fugu

I've had a gamecube for over a year now but don't have a CRT. I refuse to play on an HDTV
This was almost my situation until I found one that someone was throwing out. It is one of the smallest CRTs I've ever seen.

The setup:

Only practice for now. This controller is ass, too...

EDIT: Back in Canada I have like five CRTs, most of which I only use for Melee. They're really easy to get a hold of if you know where to look (craigslist, garage sales) and most can be gotten for free because people are often desperate to get rid of them.

Jigolo

Also check with your local Smash players. Melee folks tend to know better than to throw away a good crt.

Also also check yard sales. People practically give the things away pretty often.

Well the problem hasn't been actually finding one but finding the perfect size. Like Fugu, I'd lake a smaller CRT if possible

Fugu

I wouldn't recommend getting one this small. The picture doesn't really do it justice -- the screen is roughly the size of a Gamecube.

In my opinion/experience you need at least a 20 inch display to be able to play a singles game a comfortable distance from the television, which is good because most of the budget CRTs that flooded the market in the early 2000s are around this size. These off-brand CRTs that only accept composite and RF do perfectly for Melee so long as they're not overly damaged or worn.

All of the above are true. Or you can get a low response time monitor and a good adapter and play that way as well, if you use a Wii.

Still waiting for the Sewell adapters to arrive - the new monitors I got only allow 4:3 if the signal being sent is 4:3, and the knockoff Wii to HDMI adapter I have is trying to upscale the signal it seems.

21:9 works fine and feels great, though. But I know people are used to 4:3 so I hope the Sewell adapters fix that issue.

Anth0ny

just go back from smash on tap

leffen and armada are here in toronto but they decided to stream instead of come out to the tournament lol

I got bodied but I learned a lot :)

Top Bottom