• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Just pick up Sheik I don't get it. It's the reason Armada picked up Fox, for his worst matchups.

Sheik could run a train on both Samus and Pikachu.

Actually I'd rather him start using Yoshi against those MUs, but idk how it actually goes.
yoshi would get shit on by samus super hard. awful approach vs her and terribad recovery. plus you cant combo samus so it would be extremely hard to tack on percent without her upbing OOS to wreck you.

Pappasman

Idk if they said it on stream, but the reason MacD is using the PLUP tag is because Plup was giving him a lot of advice and training in the matchup recently.

Neol

Wonder how it would've been if Armada was here and feeling well.

Overall alright tournament. Leffen's downfall was sad to see and M2k slowly getting back to form.

I really feel like M2K can do it if he labs Marth vs. Puff. Or Shiek vs. Puff. Then again his Fox got super close today so idk.

if the hand-pain is as bad with fox as he makes it sound he'd probably be better off with the "lab marth v puff" option than with the "polish up his fox" option.

Anth0ny

if the hand-pain is as bad with fox as he makes it sound he'd probably be better off with the "lab marth v puff" option than with the "polish up his fox" option.

That's what I was thinking. Switching between three characters in tournament sounds so difficult, especially a pocket fox for a single player. Never mind the fact that he has finger pains...

GamerJM

Banned

Forgot about this since that hasn't been coming up much for him lately. Yeah, that's probably true....

Anyways, I was thinking, I think the other top players choose to go Fox against HBox for a reason. From what I understand the way to play Falco vs. Puff doesn't fit Mango's playstyle. He could bring out the Marth for the matchup if he continues to develop it further but he said at Summit that after using Marth he realized that Marth doesn't really fit his playstyle, and he realized he just has to implement Marth-esque things for his Fox. HBox was one of the reasons Armada originally picked up Fox in the first place, so going Peach wouldn't make a ton of sense when Puff-Peach has given him more trouble in the past (plus he's the one player right now who's ranked higher than Hungrybox anyways). Leffen hasn't been able to play HBox recently so I can't say anything about him. And for players like, say, Ice or SFAT, it doesn't make sense to pick up another character for HBox when they're not even really on his tier to begin with. I don't know why Westballz doesn't opt to go Falco vs. Hbox though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot about this since that hasn't been coming up much for him lately. Yeah, that's probably true....

Anyways, I was thinking, I think the other top players choose to go Fox against HBox for a reason. From what I understand the way to play Falco vs. Puff doesn't fit Mango's playstyle. He could bring out the Marth for the matchup if he continues to develop it further but he said at Summit that after using Marth he realized that Marth doesn't really fit his playstyle, and he realized he just has to implement Marth-esque things for his Fox. HBox was one of the reasons Armada originally picked up Fox in the first place, so going Peach wouldn't make a ton of sense when Puff-Peach has given him more trouble in the past (plus he's the one player right now who's ranked higher than Hungrybox anyways). Leffen hasn't been able to play HBox recently so I can't say anything about him. And for players like, say, Ice or SFAT, it doesn't make sense to pick up another character for HBox when they're not even really on his tier to begin with. I don't know why Westballz doesn't opt to go Falco vs. Hbox though.

I think Fox is considered the better matchup. I don't know how up to date the matchup chart is, but it shows Fox as Puff's only disadvantageous matchup. Everything else is even or better.

top players go fox vs puff primarily because fox has several guaranteed vertical kill options on a puff at around 60+% even on big ass stages like dreamland. fox also has an excellent projectile to rack up damage with to avoid crouch cancelled retaliation from puff and to force her to approach instead of the more defensive style most puffs favor.

GamerJM

Banned
I think Fox is considered the better matchup. I don't know how up to date the matchup chart is, but it shows Fox as Puff's only disadvantageous matchup. Everything else is even or better.

Yeah but the idea is that HBox knows that matchup so well because he's labbed it so hard and played against so many Foxes that it would in theory make more sense for other players to go other characters despite them being technically worse matchups. The point of my post was that even ignoring the massive theoretical advantages Fox has with vertical kill options it still makes sense for everyone who's currently using Fox to just use Fox, except for maybe Westballz.

So Dreamhack Austin is next week, man there's so many tournaments these days.

predictions?
other than Hbox winning

people complain about husband's commentary again

axe gets the chance to further refine his "lose very slowly on pokemon stadium" anti-floaty strategy against hbox but still doesn't come close to winning.

wobbles will make top 8 because texas.

the mysterious appearance of leffen on the attendees list out of nowhere in the past few days amounts to nothing.

I decided to actually start playing competitive Melee. Planning to go to a local/regional soon and for now I've just been playing on netplay for the last couple of days.

Anyone from Europe [ideally closer to UK] wanna play?

Daouzin

I decided to actually start playing competitive Melee. Planning to go to a local/regional soon and for now I've just been playing on netplay for the last couple of days.

Anyone from Europe [ideally closer to UK] wanna play?

Awesome! Congrats! There is literally not a single game as rewarding as getting better in Melee.

Erheller

I've been recently getting into Melee, and I'm getting more comfortable with incorporating basic techs like wavedashing and SHFFL's into my gameplay. Is this a good time to get into netplay? If so, when should I start doing ranked matches?

Also, is there a good training routine I can follow? I usually do 10 dash dances and wavedashes across FD going right and going left, and SHFFL timing practice every day. What else can I do for training?

Erheller

SleepyK's beginner and intermediate guide is an excellent resource with lots of practice tips.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6o5NHvI9P8-qHp2M8w1gDzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/mobilebasic?pli=1
(Posting this from my phone so I hope the link works)

Thanks! This is super helpful!

If you're just getting into the game, there are some good resources to get ideas of things to practice:
SSBM Tutorials channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA/videos
Tournament matches archive: https://vods.co/melee

If you have access to netplay then start going for it. If you're not comfortable with the game, you'll probably get bopped. That's ok. One of the best ways to learn is to just start doing it, so you can figure out what you don't know.

I like that you have a routine for practice, sounds pretty good. One of the things I like to do is to take an action, or string of actions, and see how many times I can do it in a row without messing up. Starting off simple, like wavedashing, until you feel so consistent that going for the high score thing will take forever. Later move on to more advanced stuff, and then try to take 2 or three things and do them in a row.

It helps to look at your basic building blocks and practice little strings of them. One that was recommended to me was trying different patterns of attack -> movement -> attack, thinking about what would work and why that is.

Thanks for the great writeup!

emb

I've been recently getting into Melee, and I'm getting more comfortable with incorporating basic techs like wavedashing and SHFFL's into my gameplay. Is this a good time to get into netplay? If so, when should I start doing ranked matches?

Also, is there a good training routine I can follow? I usually do 10 dash dances and wavedashes across FD going right and going left, and SHFFL timing practice every day. What else can I do for training?
If you're just getting into the game, there are some good resources to get ideas of things to practice:
SSBM Tutorials channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA/videos
Tournament matches archive: https://vods.co/melee

If you have access to netplay then start going for it. If you're not comfortable with the game, you'll probably get bopped. That's ok. One of the best ways to learn is to just start doing it, so you can figure out what you don't know.

I like that you have a routine for practice, sounds pretty good. One of the things I like to do is to take an action, or string of actions, and see how many times I can do it in a row without messing up. Starting off simple, like wavedashing, until you feel so consistent that going for the high score thing will take forever. Later move on to more advanced stuff, and then try to take 2 or three things and do them in a row.

It helps to look at your basic building blocks and practice little strings of them. One that was recommended to me was trying different patterns of attack -> movement -> attack, thinking about what would work and why that is.

xezuru

Training basic movement, fundamentals, and ect are great.

Think about your gameplay as you're playing it.

And most importantly, go to a local (hopefully you have a good one), and even if you don't know fucking anyone, try to play friendlies and If you lose to people ASK THEM WHAT YOU CAN DO BETTER, I've seen people go from weekly to weekly lose and lose and not ask anything, but when they finally did alot of people helped them out.

Josue

One thing I still struggle with is remembering to focus my attention on the other character instead of myself. I've noticed when I do focus my eyes on my opponent, I do waaaaaay better.

So make sure you are comfortable enough with your character in every aspect that you don't have to be constantly looking at yourself.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is Dreamhack super loaded or something? Why is Wizzrobe playing SFAT this early in bracket?

And now Lucky and Duck?

Nevermind, it's round 3 and not round 2 of top 64. That makes a little more sense.

M2K has to stop playing Peach against Ice Climbers.

Wow Lucky. Playing so close with Hbox and he SDs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Husband keeps saying Lucky needs to go high, but he went high and still got hit.

Funny to hear them talk about S2J's edgeguarding being on point though.

Anth0ny

Mew2King thinks he is so great. Well, perhaps he is, but certainly not as great as PC Chris. PC Chris can beat Mew2King anytime he wants. He can beat Mew2King with one hand and blindfolded. That's how great PC Chris is.

GamerJM

Banned
If you lose to people ASK THEM WHAT YOU CAN DO BETTER, I've seen people go from weekly to weekly lose and lose and not ask anything

Lmao this is totally me

I find that when people give me advice they usually start telling me too many pieces of information at once when I can only really focus on one piece of advice at once. Also I'm finding the more I play the more advice I get is shit I already know but don't do because I don't practice much so I can't really implement it. I think I'm going to practice more this Summer, though. When I started playing I couldn't do basic tech skill for several months until the Summer where every few days I'd sit down and spend a little bit of time grinding out basic tech skill (and even then I still have trouble fast falling all of my sffls and I miss L-cancels sometimes and my wavedashes aren't very crispy).

Top Bottom