• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That was kind of a baffling decision by Wizzrobe. Why would you walk off after throwing Peach off stage instead of dash dance run jump? I guess he just kind of reactively tried to run jump but had no space to run.

Pappasman

M2K vs Leffen was intense, but M2K choked the last game hard. Random whiffed Fsmash got punished by Leffen after some sloppy exchanges.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Watching a Ganon/Samus matchup in top 16 is kind of crazy.

I saw that n0ne SD coming from lightyears away.

Two Falcons in top 12? What is this?

Did I really just miss n0ne beating M2K? Geeze.

Fugu

What.

I wasn't sure who to root for in this match (like Peach, like Mango) but I'm satisfied with this outcome.

Bakkus

That was a great shine by Leffen!

Naaah, not even close. Losing to n0ne (and the first Falcon loss in a decade) is flopping harder than losing to Mango.

For their own standards. You can argue M2K was unlucky against Leffen, you can't say the same regarding Armada. Don't think the latter has ever lost a game against Mango's Falco which he also threw away.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shine is a thing in that situation?

Only because Hbox went too deep. He had no reason to be down that far. He might not have been able to make it regardless (and Leffen could have potentially gimped him), but the shine finished it right there.

emb

Really hope Mango makes grands. Would be incredible if Leffen beats M2K, Armada, Hbox, and Mango in the same day.

emb

If I was Hbox I'd be so mad right now at that guy with the horn or whatever. Sounds like an obnoxious noise even from here lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Best Melee is when you don't know who is going to win and one person isn't super dominant. 2016 looking like a great year.

"USA USA USA"

"We're in Canada though..."

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
fck lffn

But seriously, amazing tournament. Mango 3-1'ing armada AND hungry is just insane. N0ned and Lucky had crazy, crazy sets and runs themselves. It's really great to have Leffen back in the mix, the scene needs him for sure.

mango marth, mango fox, mango falcon, mango falco . . there's a reason he's the GOAT. dude's crazy.

Pappasman

So fucking good. I'm really happy Leffen won. Mango should have went out there for the last recovery on FD though. Bad airdodge too.

It really looked like he was just messing around haha.

Genisis 3 - 2nd
PAX Arena - 2nd
Battle of the Five Gods - 2nd
Pound 2016 - 2nd
Smash Summit 2 - 4th
EGLX - 2nd
DreamHack Austin 2016 - 1st
GOML - 2nd

2nd place master. -.-

He's this years 2014 Armada and 2015's Hungrybox.

FZZ

Banned
Hearing that people were chanting Chokebox and there was a fucking airhorn?

Lmfao Christ Melee fans remain toxic

Codeblue

I feel like if you asked me to rank the top 5 right now, I wouldn't know what to do. There was a point where certain players were free to others and there was a clear cut #1, but at this point, I feel like anything can happen when two of them step up and it's amazing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like if you asked me to rank the top 5 right now, I wouldn't know what to do. There was a point where certain players were free to others and there was a clear cut #1, but at this point, I feel like anything can happen when two of them step up and it's amazing.

Yep. Like I said before, that's when Melee is at it's best.

Most people are more interested in the gods and whatnot since they actually win tournaments, but I actually find myself more interested in that next (massive) tier of players, specifically because you never know what's going to happen with them. With GOML you have Lucky playing amazing and making 4th behind the gods, before that Wizzrobe had an amazing run, SFAT has had a couple great tournaments recently, etc.

The more the top players trade sets, the more interesting they are.

And fortunately M2K came away from the tournament with a pretty positive attitude. He was happy he played well in Smash 4 (convincingly 3-0'd Zero) and said he didn't practice Melee at all. Regardless, it's nice to see Sad2King ramblings on twitter.

Top Bottom