• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Fugu

Yep. Like I said before, that's when Melee is at it's best.

Most people are more interested in the gods and whatnot since they actually win tournaments, but I actually find myself more interested in that next (massive) tier of players, specifically because you never know what's going to happen with them. With GOML you have Lucky playing amazing and making 4th behind the gods, before that Wizzrobe had an amazing run, SFAT has had a couple great tournaments recently, etc.

The more the top players trade sets, the more interesting they are.

And fortunately M2K came away from the tournament with a pretty positive attitude. He was happy he played well in Smash 4 (convincingly 3-0'd Zero) and said he didn't practice Melee at all. Regardless, it's nice to see Sad2King ramblings on twitter.
I sympathize with this viewpoint but I generally have a hard time getting excited about the current crop of almost-gods because all of them seem so inconsistent (see: ICs at every non-Evo major). I'm excited to see another player decisively post the kind of results that the gods do.

Leffen made a hell of a statement today, but it's been a wild month for him. I wonder if he can repeat yesterday's performance.

GamerJM

Banned
I feel like if you asked me to rank the top 5 right now, I wouldn't know what to do. There was a point where certain players were free to others and there was a clear cut #1, but at this point, I feel like anything can happen when two of them step up and it's amazing.

I think the top 4 are literally impossible to rank. Granted that's partially from Leffen being away for so long. So far he kinda struggled in one tournament and looked completely dominant in the other so I don't know what to take away from just that.

I sympathize with this viewpoint but I generally have a hard time getting excited about the current crop of almost-gods because all of them seem so inconsistent (see: ICs at every non-Evo major). I'm excited to see another player decisively post the kind of results that the gods do.

Leffen made a hell of a statement today, but it's been a wild month for him. I wonder if he can repeat yesterday's performance.

I have to say that as someone who likes to root for a lot of the non-Gods it can be exhausting to see them get defeated over and over again. Like yesterday, there was a part of me that was really hoping this would have been Lucky's breakout tournament where he beats Mango and HBox but nope. I think the problem is that the top 6 keep improving a lot in their own arms race to beat each other that no one can catch up.

If you're just rooting for players to win tournaments then rooting for a non-god is futile at this point. I get a lot of enjoyment from rooting for the demi gods to top 8 or better despite them often not winning. For example seeing SFAT's ascension the past few months has been amazing, despite him not winning major tournaments. In the end only one person can be champion of a tournament, but there are a lot of other players with great stories and sick gameplay, all of which makes Melee so great.

Fugu

I just root for Hbox. I love that he's just up there doing his own thing and that everyone else at his level seems to hate him for it.

Josue

Man I only play like once every 2 weeks. I know it's all talk but I feel like I would actually be pretty decent if I had constant practice.

Seems logical. DLC is done and development all finished. Seems they no longer have to just focus on Smash 4, now they can talk all they want about Melee.

Besides isn't CEO more Smash 4 then Melee or am I wrong?

Last year's CEO was a pretty big deal for melee but this year smash 4 has way more total entrants and I think a larger fraction of its top players.

Bakkus

I remember at Genesis, Nintendo's official account tweeted a lot when 4's top 8 took place, and then Melee's top 8 started and they silenced. So this is a huge improvement from only 5 months ago.

xezuru

it was revealed last year that Nintendo usually brings setups for Melee but doesn't want to talk about it for some reason

Gaming Generations brings all the set ups, even if I believe that they supplied the super initial stock of WiiU's back when they were in high demand the level of "support" is still pathetic. People are like oh but they tweet it out and spread smash to different people out of the seen but I've seen multiple tournaments sponsored by Nintendo not even get a single tweet, even one is rare. Honestly In comparison to the likes of Capcom, Iron Galaxy, or whatever who are actually putting in work in their community their support is a joke and all we're getting is a hesitant "sure" on the question of if we can stream their precious IP.

And for the record, I'm talking about Nintendo Nintendo. NoA specifically the Treehouse guys are amazing but I can't help but feel them and Namco have their hands tied by the big mans in Japan not bothering to give enough shit to be more than a "we kinda support the community" subtitle in their commercializing.

It's better to start small then go big. If they started sponsoring big the it would feel like they were in control. I had a conversation about this with a friend, unfortunately I can't remember exactly how he said so I'm gonna not try, I just come out as stupid. But the basis was that they need to make the players feel like they were still running things and whatnot.

But I will say this, although I make fun of people wanting Melee HD (I want it too since my Wii and GameCube isn't gonna last forever), the fact that they will mention it and sponsor it, kinda brings up the possibility of it coming back to newer consoles. And possibly even exactly how it is, gameplay wise.

GamerJM

Banned
Gaming Generations brings all the set ups, even if I believe that they supplied the super initial stock of WiiU's back when they were in high demand the level of "support" is still pathetic. People are like oh but they tweet it out and spread smash to different people out of the seen but I've seen multiple tournaments sponsored by Nintendo not even get a single tweet, even one is rare. Honestly In comparison to the likes of Capcom, Iron Galaxy, or whatever who are actually putting in work in their community their support is a joke and all we're getting is a hesitant "sure" on the question of if we can stream their precious IP.

And for the record, I'm talking about Nintendo Nintendo. NoA specifically the Treehouse guys are amazing but I can't help but feel them and Namco have their hands tied by the big mans in Japan not bothering to give enough shit to be more than a "we kinda support the community" subtitle in their commercializing.

Here's what sinxtanx meant:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/41qiwf/had_a_conversation_with_a_nintendo_employee_at/

JC Rodrigo was likely the NoA employee being referred to here going off something I saw on Twitter at one point.

Also didn't Nintendo sponser Evo 2014, which was before the release of Smash 4?

xezuru

The fact that top players even think of tweeting "what did this sponsor ship give us" is a problem. Sure you can say Nintendo is using their big boy label to push away law things or whatever but meanwhile the dream scenario of actual developer interaction examples of like the forementioned: Iron Galaxy/Capcom /Arksys/Whatever.

Dream Scenario of actually contributing:

"Starting out Small" is actual twitter presence:
-Let's tweet out our partners?
-Let's tweet out melee?
-Let's tweet out our new game Smash for Wii U?
-Smash in general?
For the love of christ can they at least post direct links to the stream.

How about actual pot bonuses?
To give more money/player population/commitment/direct support injected into the scene of people who spent the most time on the game they claim to support?
-Evo 2014 Payouts / Pot Bonuses by Devs
-Evo 2015 Payouts / Pot Bonuses by Devs
-How about Smash focused tournament Apex 2015? Only some dolla dolla solely from our boys at Twitch

End Game?
People who are saying they don't want to take the spotlight are full of shit. Publicity is publicity but look at it this way. Capcom Pro Tour is a an "action" of the company taking some control. What happened? All the same ass FGC TO's are still running the same 15th interation of the same decade series of tournaments. Just under Capcom's blessing, money, and ability to rank players under an official standing. Where both scenes continue to explode.

What does this give us?
-A fucking real answer to the Leffen VISA scenario and not just pleading to the government under some non-legal written slap of somehow making any Rocket League player a professional Sports VISA user.
-More organized and professional shit due to regulations for majors so we don't get shit like Apex 2015 venue garbage again
-A dream scenario of running more Sm4sh or even Melee equivalent of the original E3 invitational in actual Arenas.
-The fuckin obvious of more money, growth and commitment said above.

I've always thought Smash had the potential to even outgrow CPT right now because of the ability of our TOs and Head members of the community being directly available to Nintendo directly and people like Juggleguy, Nintendude, Crimson, D1, ect are always RIGHT THERE if they needed ANYTHING regarding running it.

But they continue to do just enough I guess.
All this while newer games and newer companies are putting 100x the work in, if only they had the communities to compete like ours.

Edit:
Also didn't Nintendo sponser Evo 2014, which was before the release of Smash 4?
https://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/06/nintendo-is-a-sponsor-for-evo-2014/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Messed with some wavedashing out of shine with Falco. Realized I probably should have worked on some wavedashing in general first since I am not hitting them consistently at all. Not used to his longer jumpsquat.

Mashing buttons too fast. Guys should I play Fox?
No.

But I did it anyway. I don't think I will ever be able to short hop consistently with Fox which is why I don't like to play him that much. Biggest problem wavedashing out of shine I'm doing something wrong with the l button. Don't know if I'm hitting it too early or not pushing all the way to get the air dodge.

Probably a little of both, I find I do better when I think about doing the shine and wavedash independently. But it's all sloppy and stuttery if I do it that way.

Jigolo

Sometimes I wonder about how sponsors actually make money. How do they pay for their players flights and hotels?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Probably advertisements and endorsements. Sponsors typically have their affiliates that they are partnered with, look at how a lot of esports jerseys are plastered in logos like nascar.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And....how do their partners make money from them?

Just marketing and advertising. Asus says we'll give you $X/time, you plaster our logo on your jerseys, streams, social media, etc and your players use our equipment. Sponsor agrees, passes on a chunk of the money to the players.

Teams that perform better probably get paid better since people talk about them and see them more.

One day with Fox. I can kinda but not really waveshine. Can inconstantly shorten side b. Also inconstant on ledgedashes. Still can't short hop. L cancel timing is taking some getting used to.

Need to get better at wavedashing. I tend to do the dumbdash and hit the corner of the octagonal gating which gimps the distance. Need to practice getting more distance.

Is it normal for people to use tap jump to SHDL? Because I can do it pretty easily that way but I can't do it at all with buttons in Melee (can a little in PM).

emb

Just marketing and advertising. Asus says we'll give you $X/time, you plaster our logo on your jerseys, streams, social media, etc and your players use our equipment. Sponsor agrees, passes on a chunk of the money to the players.

Teams that perform better probably get paid better since people talk about them and see them more.

One day with Fox. I can kinda but not really waveshine. Can inconstantly shorten side b. Also inconstant on ledgedashes. Still can't short hop. L cancel timing is taking some getting used to.

Need to get better at wavedashing. I tend to do the dumbdash and hit the corner of the octagonal gating which gimps the distance. Need to practice getting more distance.

Is it normal for people to use tap jump to SHDL? Because I can do it pretty easily that way but I can't do it at all with buttons in Melee (can a little in PM).
I think tap jump shdl is pretty normal. The window using buttons for it is super tight, and it's hard to get the short hop right if you claw.

Codeblue

The craziest thing about that video is that Mang0 agreed to be in it. He's usually pretty opposed to doing things that are so egregiously lame.

Anth0ny

tumblr_o7jq4vVv6h1urexxpo1_540.jpg

tumblr_o7jq4vVv6h1urexxpo2_540.jpg

Melee players don't give a fuck.

Anth0ny

20xx is a training tool none of us could have ever fathomed for Melee.

I think the next step is loading the .ISO of Melee onto our smart phone, and plugging in some kind of lightning/usb to GC controller adapter into our phones/tablets to have Melee playable pretty much everywhere. I honestly can't imagine we're that far off considering how powerful smartphones are becoming.

It would be awesome at tournaments when you want to warm up but all the setups are being used. It would basically be that GBA SP thing I posted above, minus the need to attach an actual console.

xezuru

RIP the year of Scar has been retired.
I never believed :(

I'm super hoping that PPMD feels good enough to attend EVO as he seems to be having some little breakthroughs lately, cause with Leffen VISA-fied, this is looking like an insane build up for...
THREEEEVOO
a great tournament.

I'm actually really surprised Mother 3 managed to beat out Melee HD for the #1 spot. Supposedly twitch chat was spamming Melee HD at points during E3 so hopefully Nintendo sees this demand (not that Twitch chat should have all that much influence lol).

Anth0ny

Melee HD has practically reached meme status on Twitch. Shit gets spammed everywhere. I'm hoping Nintendo notices.

Unlike Mother 3, Melee HD would actually sell.

Top Bottom