• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Anteo

Melee HD has practically reached meme status on Twitch. Shit gets spammed everywhere. I'm hoping Nintendo notices.

Unlike Mother 3, Melee HD would actually sell.

I am actually surprised it has gotten to the point it gets spammed like that. Not that it matters, is not like NOA start developing the game.

Anth0ny

melee hd would sell more than most games

some of the most random, forgettable shit that no one even asked for has got the hd treatment.

you're telling me the best selling GC game and one of the most beloved games of all time that is STILL played by thousands 15 years later wouldn't at LEAST be worth the investment, if not a huge success? come the fuck on.

and don't even START with that "but no one would buy it cause lol no characters compared to smash 4". fuck that shit it's smash bros. it would sell off the name alone. sell amiibos. sell gamecube controllers. done. money.

Anth0ny

Happy PPMD is going to be better. With M2K's recent struggles/focus on Smash 4, he may be the only god tier Marth we've got at the moment!

GamerJM

Banned
Part of me thinks PPMD should just not go to EVO anyways even if he gets better in time. Even if he turns out to be well, I'd rather him focus on practice for his eventual comeback and not travel, which could potentially put his health at risk if problems start back up again while away from home. Either way, super glad to see him getting better.

Codeblue

Happy PPMD is going to be better. With M2K's recent struggles/focus on Smash 4, he may be the only god tier Marth we've got at the moment!

It's pretty sad. Not that PPMD's Marth isn't fun to watch, but the black Marth is art. I'm not sure there's a single person I like watching more than M2K when he's is on and playing Marth.

GamerJM

Banned
M2K has mostly just been super inconsistent. I think he has it in him, his victory over Armada at Smash Summit a couple months ago was insane.

Takyon

M2K has mostly just been super inconsistent. I think he has it in him, his victory over Armada at Smash Summit a couple months ago was insane.

The win was insane, but the rematch showed that no matter how much he achieves, his nerves and self-doubt will always cripple him.

Armada, Hbox, leffen and Mango can all overcome disappointing losses, mental blocks and blows to self-confidence. Most of the time, Mew2king just falls apart.

The win was insane, but the rematch showed that no matter how much he achieves, his nerves and self-doubt will always cripple him.

Armada, Hbox, leffen and Mango can all overcome disappointing losses, mental blocks and blows to self-confidence. Most of the time, Mew2king just falls apart.

well, he showed us something resembling a losers' run for a change at smash n splash, and i'm told the twitter sadness has eased up a bit after the more recent losses, so i've got a little hope.

All of my local top players have a similar M2K mentality. Our best player will play friendlies with everyone but won't play in tournament because he feels people get discouraged playing against him.

Another of our PR players will drive 2 hours for a different biweekly but won't go to ours because he wants to lose to different players he says.

It's baffling.

That's why I like Hbox and Armada, because they seem to not let the spotlight get to them and keep consistently playing well. With folks like Leffen and M2K you never know if it's their good day or bad day.

Anth0ny

ESPN ranks Melee over Hearthstone in esports potential. "If Nintendo ever decides to close the gap, watch out" http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/16454680/the-2016-top-10-esports-draft

fucking hell, ESPN gets it.

Melee is coming for the Olympics, straight the fuck up. NONE of these other games have the longevity and depth of Melee. NONE of them. no fighters, no mobas, no shooters or rts games. no one is gonna be playing DOTA 2 in 15 years when dota 3 is out.

nintendo should just go full esports and make melee available for free on NX and PC. it's a gamecube game so probably most PCs could run it anyways. smash is the perfect money maker when it comes to add on DLC, and melee is the perfect
game
esports game. sell a shit load of costumes and stages and shit to make money.

ohhhhhhhhh the possibilities. too bad it will never happen =/

Sorry guys I'm dropping out of CEO due to personal reasons.

noooooooooooooooooooo :(

mango said on stream he was going to use his marth at CEO. I wanted to see him go off :(

Pappasman

fucking hell, ESPN gets it.

Melee is coming for the Olympics, straight the fuck up. NONE of these other games have the longevity and depth of Melee. NONE of them. no fighters, no mobas, no shooters or rts games. no one is gonna be playing DOTA 2 in 15 years when dota 3 is out.

nintendo should just go full esports and make melee available for free on NX and PC. it's a gamecube game so probably most PCs could run it anyways. smash is the perfect money maker when it comes to add on DLC, and melee is the perfect
game
esports game. sell a shit load of costumes and stages and shit to make money.

ohhhhhhhhh the possibilities. too bad it will never happen =/

I wish.

I think doing an annual Nintendo World Championship tournament with both Smash games and Pokemon would be the least they could do to capitalize on their competetive fans.

GamerJM

Banned
Imagine if Nintendo put a free version of Melee on PC with only like....Fox and Marth and Battlefield (and online with fantastic netplay), or something like that, and then the free full game on NX (with downloadable skins/costumes and whatnot). They could hook people into the eSports side of Melee and force them to buy their console if they want to play the full game.

Anth0ny

I'm just endlessly fascinated by the DOTA 2/LOL/big moba style of selling a video game. I imagine how Nintendo could put out a game like that, if they seriously took a stab at it, and I always come back to Smash.

There is so much money being left on the table with these games, I swear. I look at how companies like EA, WB and Ubisoft whore out these games featuring characters and settings with no history that no one gives a FUCK about and meanwhile you have Nintendo with this treasure trove of beloved properties in a single game and they put out such a small amount of paid DLC, relatively speaking.

A new, free Smash game that starts you off with a handful of characters (think smash 64 roster only to start), like 2 or 3 stages, and then makes you pay bit by bit for more content? I really think that could work.

GamerJM

Banned
This M2K breakdown seriously made me sad. I can't imagine what he's going through. At least he's meeting his goal in raising awareness for a cause that needs more awareness raised, though.

On another note I finally set up the newest version of 20XX today. Man, the level 9 20XX Fox lives up to the hype. It's so fun to fight against, but at the same time it doesn't feel impossibly hard to me or anything like that. And the music selection is amazing; you can play with music from Brawl, Undertale, and Splatoon. Also it's so nice to play this game on my own big CRT again (I didn't take it to school so I mostly played on tournament setups during the year, but would occasionally play on my monitor on the Wii U via Nintendont).

Anteo

This M2K breakdown seriously made me sad. I can't imagine what he's going through. At least he's meeting his goal in raising awareness for a cause that needs more awareness raised, though.

I just read about this on r/kappa...
I...
just...
dammit...

GamerJM

Banned
I...
just...
dammit...

Uh wait wut

I didn't read about the r/kappa story. Well, if this is true, it's......sad, in a completely different way. At least he's raising awareness, again. I feel bad for trusting r/kappa but this legit I guess.

Anteo

Uh wait wut

I didn't read about the r/kappa story. Well, if this is true, it's......sad, in a completely different way. At least he's raising awareness, again. I feel bad for trusting r/kappa but this legit I guess.

You could read this tweet (+ him deleting other tweets about this) in a whole different way I guess:

Jason Zimmerman said:
For now i want to forget everything that could upset me. I will move forwards.

This whole thing is super sad

Codeblue

Man, some people are rotten to the core. Hope M2K doesn't let this get him down too much. When he needed support when this was real to him, the entire community had his back, so I hope he can at least reflect on that.

Anth0ny

I...
just...
dammit...

fucking hell. m2k can't catch a break, huh.

I wish m2k could take all this emotion and use it to go super saiyan 2 in tourney, but he's just not that kind of guy. he lets it all get to him. so unfortunate.

Anteo

PewPewU is in winners quarters against Hungrybox?

Calling it now, he drops the next two sets and gets 9th.

I wonder if he doesnt know.. or he doenst want to know

Kevin Toy ‏@CLG_PewPewU
Probably placed 13 or 17th this tournament. I was gunning for top 8 but fell short.

Tho, I feel my place doesn't reflect how well I played

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is Melee top 8 at CEO really going to start at like 10PM local time? They should have just done it earlier on a different stream, doubt anything good will come from it starting so late.

Top Bottom