• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Codeblue

Is M2K Florida? Everyone gets grouped into these regions, but I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone relate M2K to a coast or anything.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is M2K Florida? Everyone gets grouped into these regions, but I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone relate M2K to a coast or anything.

I'm think M2K is from the MDVA region, but he's lived with a lot of people in a lot of places and just kind of floated around for years, so he doesn't really get much region attribution.

Edit: New Jersey actually, but close to Maryland.

Oh god that 4 stock comeback by SFAT

Codeblue

That makes sense. I guess he's just a nomad.

Hope M2K feels his Marth on this set and tries it with HBox. If he can beat Armada on Dreamland, anything's possible.

Edit: OR HE CAN GO SHEIK.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to see either of these players win the tournament over Hbox.

That sick wall jump upair on FD, niiice.

I've never seen that before, Fox was over the lip but not enough to grab it?

Codeblue

I've heard M2K talk about it before. I think the get up attack functions like a roll where he's still occupying the ledge, but his body on the stage pushes the opponent off.

Edit: Assuming that's what you were talking about?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard M2K talk about it before. I think the get up attack functions like a roll where he's still occupying the ledge, but his body on the stage pushes the opponent off.

Edit: Assuming that's what you were talking about?

Yeah. Melee is silly. That's almost some invisible ceiling nonsense, but less "flashy."

Anth0ny

OMG HE WENT MARTH AGAINST PUFF

ABOUT FUCKING TIME BRO

I hope he doesn't give up on Marth after one loss. like, you're not gonna beat hbox the first time bro. the whole point of this should be eliminating the need to CONSTANTLY practice fox all day in preparation for a single player and just master marth and sheik.

GamerJM

Banned
Instead of sticking with marth and trying to adapt im just gonna play a bunch of shit and see what happens.

lol m2k

Honestly I don't think his Marth could have adapted in just a set (though I do think he can improve the matchup a lot in the longrun, and this convo he had with Smashg0d on Twitter implies he's going to lab it: https://twitter.com/SmashG0D/status/746941647183839232). I actually think he sort of did the right thing, though he didn't really take the Sheik set seriously at some parts. I think Sheik vs. Puff is worth trying as well, and his Fox had already lost to HBox in winner's finals, AND he was playing all day and probably had his hands hurting by that point. So he might as well have tried Marth for a game, Sheik for a game, and then switch to Fox when it was apparent neither of those were working at the moment.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SmashG0D might actually be worth listening to about Puff. He did some pretty good stuff in that money match or whatever with Hbox.

Anth0ny

armada mango hbox m2k will be there

I hope M2K is serious about the Marth/Puff matchup. I hope someone can get in his ear and tell him the only way he's going to start beating Hbox with Marth is if he actually GOES Marth against him and doesn't switch out after dropping one game. I want to see him go all Marth/Sheik this tournament.

Pappasman

I honestly would't mind Melee being Top 6 on Evo Sunday if it meant avoiding a bunch of hate for delaying SFV on ESPN. Unless the swedes are able to double elim Hbox, we could be in for another long top 8.

I honestly would't mind Melee being Top 6 on Evo Sunday if it meant avoiding a bunch of hate for delaying SFV on ESPN. Unless the swedes are able to double elim Hbox, we could be in for another long top 8.

Ok for real, has Melee top 8 actually gone over the allotted time once at Evo?

Anth0ny

I tried that shine reverse ledgedash shit todayand got it first try O_O

but that other waveshine shit he does... lol. addy daddy always delivers

lets be honest

we'd get the hate if melee was only top 3 and took 15 minutes

the solution is moving the less popular games to saturday so the popular games can take all the time that they need on sunday. 100k people are more than willing to watch a 3/5 top 8 for melee on evo sunday. twitch chat trolls mean nothing.

Codeblue

I don't think Melee really has a time problem, it just always comes after something like KoF that goes an hour over schedule

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I keep seeing people talk about a potential circuit and seasons. I'd like that to be legit, because it sounds great and would make tournaments both a lot more interesting and easier to follow.

GamerJM

Banned
I keep seeing people talk about a potential circuit and seasons. I'd like that to be legit, because it sounds great and would make tournaments both a lot more interesting and easier to follow.

On the topic of potentially secret circuits and whatnot, I wish people would just be transparent with that shit. It sort of makes it feel like there's a divide in the community between people involved with putting on these events/content and everyone else. And it also just leads people to wildly speculate. I realize it's not always easy to be transparent, so I'm not mad at the people who do this since they're awesome and do so much, but it's just annoying when there's so many hints and announcements of announcements going on.

Also, on EVO, I think time complaints and BO3s are understandable given how long Melee matches are. Also, on the topic of Evo, since it's in two weeks is anyone else here going? If so I'd be willing to hang out and whatever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I feel like this should never be that big of a deal. You can't tweak a character enough to be OP without people noticing, and at smaller tournaments it's easy to impose rules where people don't play on their own setups. At a larger tournament there's no way you can reliably use your fixed setup, and if you have to cheat to be competitive you probably aren't going to do all that well anyway.

About the only way this would meaningfully work is if there was collusion involved.

emb

I so nearly skipped this set. Saw the players, turned off stream... checked back after a bit, saw Wizzy up 1-0, felt some hope. Glad I caught it. =)

Takyon

What Wizzrobe just did is truly momentous.
I feel bad for Hbox tho, looks like he got completely blindsided. Still, it will be interesting to see what he can do in losers for once.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What Wizzrobe just did is truly momentous.
I feel bad for Hbox tho, looks like he got completely blindsided. Still, it will be interesting to see what he can do in losers for once.

I think he has to play Westballz. If he's not feeling up he very well could get knocked out.

Here it goes, Wes vs Hbox. Looks like Wes might be playing Fox.

Top Bottom