• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Man, Evo's system is getting even weirder now with this round 2 pools+quarterfinals for some entrants stuff.

So Smash 4 has 21 R2 pools and Melee has 19, 2 advance from each pool...except they need to cut it down to 32 so the "quarterfinals" look really weird, because most players advance directly from R2 to semis but some don't.

Fugu

Always nice to see shit get shaken up and... well, shit got shaken up alright.

I can't believe that Hbox Mew2King set, man.

Daouzin

Kind of crazy that Melee is still getting so much growth. I expected us to hit around 2,000-2,200 players, not over 2,300.

9711a4e144829b7cc2ffc26af96e0416.jpg

Lucumo

Well, it's fun to play and fun to watch. And as long as Nintendo doesn't meddle in a bad way because they want to sell more Smash 4 or Smash 5, I doubt the numbers will go down in a meaningful way anytime soon.
They can definitely go higher should we see an awesome, diverse top 8.

what's even cooler to note is how Melee surpassed Street Fighter IV in player count when SFIV@Evo last year was being promoted as the last SFIV tourney. Just goes to show Melee is not dying anytime soon and still has room for growth. I think if anything, 2016 might be the start of a new era past the Five Gods.

Codeblue

I wonder if SFV will nose dive next year. That number is absurd.

Also, I'm not sure that we're gonna get past the era of the five gods + Leffen any time soon. They've never looked more dominant than they do now, PPMD aside.

Bakkus

I wonder if SFV will nose dive next year. That number is absurd.

Also, I'm not sure that we're gonna get past the era of the five gods + Leffen any time soon. They've never looked more dominant than they do now, PPMD aside.
Yeah. Armada for example still looks as untouchable for the non gods to beat as he did 1-2 years ago.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think if anything, 2016 might be the start of a new era past the Five Gods.

I think we are still some ways away from that. Getting closer, but the big milestones still don't look like they are going to be hit anytime soon. Ones that immediately come to mind are Armada losing to someone outside the top 6, and a "non-god" winning a major.

Leffen stepping up is basically the closest we've come, but that's one player.

Okay I'll admit that I'm just really hoping for some upsets at Evo. Can you blame me? Shit at this point M2K reaching grands would be great in itself. I wouldn't mind seeing Wobbles ruin everything in an epic losers run grabfest :p

Okay I'll admit that I'm just really hoping for some upsets at Evo. Can you blame me? Shit at this point M2K reaching grands would be great in itself. I wouldn't mind seeing Wobbles ruin everything in an epic losers run grabfest :p

Well Wobbles did say today that he intends to mercilessly wobble on anybody even remotely threatening so he might. I guess the "local maxima" training theory has to move on to this step eventually. might as well go all in at evo.

I'd lose my mind if m2k makes it to grands though. And I'll be brokenhearted if axe doesn't make a deep run.

GamerJM

Banned
It's probably just recency bias but I honestly feel that Wizzy really has what it takes to rise up and be at least another player in the same tier as around M2K at least, if not a contender for best in the world eventually. At WTFox 2, not only did he definitively 3-0 HBox but he also put up a really good fight against Mango and M2K, who were both playing pretty well (compared to HBox who looked off), and there were moments where he looked like he was straight-up outplaying both of them. He's also young and probably has the drive to continue to improve.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably just recency bias but I honestly feel that Wizzy really has what it takes to rise up and be at least another player in the same tier as around M2K at least, if not a contender for best in the world eventually. At WTFox 2, not only did he definitively 3-0 HBox but he also put up a really good fight against Mango and M2K, who were both playing pretty well (compared to HBox who looked off), and there were moments where he looked like he was straight-up outplaying both of them.

He also looked great at Dreamhack (4th) and LTC4 (4th) too. Top 8 at CEO too but wasn't as sharp there. Apparently top 8 at Smash n Splash too, but I don't remember seeing that one. IIRC it was Dreamhack where Mango was running Fox but got trashed by Wizzrobe and had to switch to Falco.

But he has definitely made a move upwards recently. He was solidly in 20s but I think this year he has definitely made a case for a ranking in the 10-20 range and possibly as the best Falcon.

Looking at the rankings, we really need a mid-2016 ranking. Bet one will get made after Evo. Between top 7 and 25 is a glut of amazing players that's hard to rank above or below each other.

GamerJM

Banned
He also looked great at Dreamhack (4th) and LTC4 (4th) too. Top 8 at CEO too but wasn't as sharp there. Apparently top 8 at Smash n Splash too, but I don't remember seeing that one. IIRC it was Dreamhack where Mango was running Fox but got trashed by Wizzrobe and had to switch to Falco.

But he has definitely made a move upwards recently. He was solidly in 20s but I think this year he has definitely made a case for a ranking in the 10-20 range and possibly as the best Falcon.

Looking at the rankings, we really need a mid-2016 ranking. Bet one will get made after Evo. Between top 7 and 25 is a glut of amazing players that's hard to rank above or below each other.

Yeah I totally forgot to mention his consistency in my post as well. He hasn't really had a bad performance lately.

Anth0ny

I think Wizzy has made a super strong case for top 10.

It's him, Axe, Westballz and Plup imo. Shroomed has been barely pushed out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to make rankings anywhere, top 6 or beyond.

Axe, Westballz, and Plup are probably still the next 3 in whatever order. I like SFAT, Shroomed, and Wizzy after those three, in no particular order. Then PPU, Lucky, Silent Wolf, and probably Duck as the next four. And since I'm at 16 I'll round out the top 20 with Hax, MacD, DruggedFox, and S2J. Thought about going with Ice but he has a choking habit.

Codeblue

Too bad Hax didn't make his complete return after Pound. If he had any more results behind him, I think he'd be solidly top 10.

Also Wizzy is without a doubt the best Falcon, and definitely top 10 for the first half of this year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad Hax didn't make his complete return after Pound. If he had any more results behind him, I think he'd be solidly top 10.

Also Wizzy is without a doubt the best Falcon, and definitely top 10 for the first half of this year.

If we discount Leffen and PP due to their issues causing limited tournament appearances, I'd agree. Otherwise it's a really tough call - you only have 4 spots left in the top 10 to split between 6 or more very deserving players.

We really need some statistical rankings and not just the panel ones. A panel is always going to be biased toward both past results (outside the sample range, in this case 2016) and personalities. There used to be some but they were dumped in favor of the panel.

If we discount Leffen and PP due to their issues causing limited tournament appearances, I'd agree. Otherwise it's a really tough call - you only have 4 spots left in the top 10 to split between 6 or more very deserving players.

We really need some statistical rankings and not just the panel ones. A panel is always going to be biased toward both past results (outside the sample range, in this case 2016) and personalities. There used to be some but they were dumped in favor of the panel.

Leffen has enough results to consider him #4 (GOML alone is more impressive than M2K's entire year), PPMD doesn't have enough results and what he does have isn't good enough for top 10 at all.

so you have 5 spots

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly I have a weird feeling that Leffen will win EVO and that he'd actually be the best in the world right now if he attended more events (though personally I would rank him at 4 due to lack of activity). His performance at GOML just looked so damn strong, while HBox, Armada, and Mango have all proven to be less-than-perfect recently, especially coming off of WTFox for the first two.

have you seen the attempt at statistical rankings that MIOM's been posting the past couple months?

http://www.meleeitonme.com/ssbm-glicko-stats-july-2016-edition/

Codeblue

Leffen has enough results to consider him #4 (GOML alone is more impressive than M2K's entire year), PPMD doesn't have enough results and what he does have isn't good enough for top 10 at all.

so you have 5 spots

Man, I disagree. PP straight gave up at 5 Gods and still ranked above SFat.

Daouzin

you guys all saw this right

not too sure how to feel about this, but I bet there'll be some questions over the whole "press button to wavedash/shield drop" stuff.

I saw that and was thinking, maybe now the FGC, will respect us. LOL.

Seriously though, I just think it's cool that Melee people are everywhere. Like why would they make that if there wasn't a Melee fan in that office. haha.

Lucumo

Haven't seen this (I'm only here and in another forum for Melee stuff) but yeah, other people will have to check the stick first, whether it gives any advantages/makes something too easy (which I would dislike).

Codeblue

Just looking at that stick makes my hands feel weird. There's no way they're going to get people with 15 years of muscle memory to use it. Smash 4 players wouldn't even switch to Bidou despite simplifying otherwise impossible, yet useful, movement options. Maybe the new generation will dig it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Those fire fox angles looked really awkward. Pretty neat though. I'd try it but it's probably going to be way too expensive to buy just to mess around with.

That's pretty cool. Hopefully the column sticks around.

the dude was posting these rankings on reddit for a few months before he started getting MIOM to post it. I really hope it sticks too, and even if MIOM drops him/ he grows bored, the idea lives on in someone else.

granted, I don't know enough about sports stats to argue for or against his implementation, but i still find it entertaining to look at.

Codeblue

Anyone see the Project Wavedash character art?

Can't say I'm super enthusiastic. Was hoping for something a little more stylized. Hopefully they adjust based on the feedback they're getting. Also I think it was a mistake to reveal the game without showing someone multishining.

Sami+

The hitbox controller looks really sick, I hope it sticks and becomes common at top level play. Considering how many players on all levels of skill are complaining about joint pain, this could be really good for the scene in the long term. I really hope people don't stubbornly reject it and make it tournament illegal right out the gate.

Daouzin

Anyone see the Project Wavedash character art?

Can't say I'm super enthusiastic. Was hoping for something a little more stylized. Hopefully they adjust based on the feedback they're getting. Also I think it was a mistake to reveal the game without showing someone multishining.

Yeah, I saw that. I think she looks way to generic, but I also think that she might just seem that way because we have no context, we haven't seen the flow of the game or anything else. So it might be making a character that looks a little generic seem hyper generic.

They showed her off WAAAAAAAY to early.

xezuru

Look GAF is a gaming site, we aren't new to early ass alpha shit and known that this type of stuff is always suuuuuper subject to change, that said, this design is super disappointing coming from a team who re-realized all these Nintendo concepts into fucking beautiful iterations of functionality and reference to their core games. It's just super disappointing they don't have anything resembling the Disney silhouette rule, cause in similar games, in Overwatch if I literally see any one-color silhouette of any character I could literally name any one, this character looks like any human, sorry.

Daouzin

Look GAF is a gaming site, we aren't new to early ass alpha shit and known that this type of stuff is always suuuuuper subject to change, that said, this design is super disappointing coming from a team who re-realized all these Nintendo concepts into fucking beautiful iterations of functionality and reference to their core games. It's just super disappointing they don't have anything resembling the Disney silhouette rule, cause in similar games, in Overwatch if I literally see any one-color silhouette of any character I could literally name any one, this character looks like any human, sorry.

Totally agree with you, but I do think it's a problem made worse by the circumstance, but yeah, super disappointing design.

The character simplicity probably stems from the fact that it's

A) A platform fighter

and

B) They have a small budget / are on a hobbyist schedule.

But, props on them for going with a dark skinned woman as their first character design release. Probably going to get them some flak though, sadly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

What are the credentials of this team? I thought they were just a group of fans that got together to work on the game. Remember this is not actually from PMDT, only like 2-3 of them have any involvement at all.

Daouzin

But, props on them for going with a dark skinned woman as their first character design release. Probably going to get them some flak though, sadly.

Totally, super happy that they went with a dark skinned woman, just think it did them a huge disservice to show off what they have. People don't really understand game development or how hard everything is, especially for people working on a limited budget and on limited time since it's not their day job.

Anth0ny

never thought I'd say this

but mango's marth is fucking LEGIT

him and lucky are playing seriouslies on lucky's stream right now

and he's doing some OPTIMAL shit that would make M2K proud. totally different style from M2K, PPMD and PPU, too.

Lucumo

One week until EVO. I'm super excited for Melee because one thing is for sure: Greatness awaits. All I'm hoping for is a diverse top 8 and HBox not playing too many matches.

Btw: When did Yahoo start having an esports section and since when do they cover Melee? Just saw a piece about EVO written by Tafo.

Daouzin

Have you guys seen how messed up the EVO brackets are? Melee it on me did a good job explaining it. I feel like someone that doesn't play Melee should explain the issue and make a thread about it.

The FGC is too concerned with "getting good," then being fair lol. It also effects SFV and Smash 4 so they should really address it

Players are going to get Double eliminated by the same player super early on and their are byes super far up the bracket. It's pretty silly.

The FGC is just telling Melee people not to be entitled rather than address it lol, shows how much they really care for Smash haha. They would rather shit on their homies than address a real issue.

Edit: Apparently they wil "fix it," next time.

GamerJM

Banned
never thought I'd say this

but mango's marth is fucking LEGIT

him and lucky are playing seriouslies on lucky's stream right now

and he's doing some OPTIMAL shit that would make M2K proud. totally different style from M2K, PPMD and PPU, too.

Any VODs?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like pools are a mess all-around. Unless they were changed, there are apparently a bunch of top players and regional ranked players in pools together while there are also a bunch of pools of total randoms.

Unless stuff gets fixed it seems like we might see a lot of players go out earlier than expected.

Top Bottom