• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Jigolo

YOOOOOO

EDIT: I was on Ken's stream the other day and he said Sm4sh has had more views in tournies this year. Not even top 8 and Melee is 142k whereas 4 GF was 70k. I was chatting him up and telling him CEO was the exception but he wouldn't pay attention

Anteo

YOOOOOO

EDIT: I was on Ken's stream the other day and he said Sm4sh has had more views in tournies this year. Not even top 8 and Melee is 142k whereas 4 GF was 70k. I was chatting him up and telling him CEO was the exception but he wouldn't pay attention

Probably saturady vs sunday, next time we get both games on sunday (like G3) we will see

Anth0ny

another year, another boring evo top 8 :(

i don't know what it is about evo that makes it boring compared to so many other melee tournaments. is everyone playing nervous? 2/3? hbox going ham every year and making things boring?

it's so strange, but it's been like 4 years in a row now lol

Neol

Its cause armada and hbox just floating it up with long patient based matches and beating all the foxes.

Its not fun to watch for most people but what you gonna do when no one can beat those 2.

you guys are so mad about hbox lol

This shit has been mad hype for me, but then I wonder how many viewers look at the game beyond pretty dash dancing laser shooting spacies and falcon hype.

Neol

Say all you want, cry all you want, curse all you want and hate all you want.

Hbox deserved that shit and is now number one.

Lucumo

Called it:

Would have easily made it, despite starting 30 minutes late. But since HBox and not Mango won...now probably not. Just imagine Armada vs HBox, 10 games.

At least HBox didn't camp that much. I also still remember those Y.Link vs Puff games... :/

And 220k viewers on the main stream is fine.

FZZ

Banned
Called it:

At least HBox didn't camp that much. I also still remember those Y.Link vs Puff games... :/

Hbox only camped last year

After the dtilt discovery he stopped, it's really just armada lasering/dash dancing waiting for an opening and Hbox walling looking for an opening

Anth0ny

hey guys

i wonder if any top players that weren't in attendance at evo take issue with the fact that a jigglypuff won evo

i wonder if any top players that weren't in attendance at evo feel they can take hbox out

THE STORYLINES

Lucumo

Hbox only camped last year

After the dtilt discovery he stopped, it's really just armada lasering/dash dancing waiting for an opening and Hbox walling looking for an opening

Well, that's what the reference is here. The finals were good this time. Most other matches...not so, bo3 doesn't help.

Gotta say Melee top 8 was incredibly disappointing. I only enjoy two matches Grand Finals and Hbox vs Mango. I also didn't like the commentary for top 8 for both Smash games. Smash 4, they sounded tired and Melee just dull to listen to (do they not like Hbox, sounded like they wanted Armada to win).

However, that Grand Finlas made up for top 8 in my opinion.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say Melee top 8 was incredibly disappointing. I only enjoy two matches Grand Finals and Hbox vs Mango. I also didn't like the commentary for top 8 for both Smash games. Smash 4, they sounded tired and Melee just dull to listen to (do they not like Hbox, sounded like they wanted Armada to win).

I thought it was pretty solid. PPU/Mango was good, S2J/Wes was good, Mango/M2K was pretty good. Plup upsetting Hbox was good. Grand finals was great.

Lucumo

S2J vs Westballz was pretty good too.

And yep, commentators were meh. It's like he said:

Brehs Toph and Scar are washed up

Get D1 and Webs on here

KingBroly

Banned
Top 8 was not great. I think Smash 4's Top 8 was better, although its' GF wasn't nearly as good.

Grand Finals was hype. It wouldn't have been Hype if the Bracket didn't reset, though. This had stories, momentum, clutch moments, etc.

Takyon

grand finals was legendary. Hungrybox is so clutch!!

the only bad thing with grand finals is that fox-puff on final destination is awfull. It's not cool at all to watch, and it is so unfair for puff.

Agreed.

On the topic of stages, I feel that Dreamland can no longer be considered a counterpick for hungrybox against Armada. Either it's even, or slightly in his favor.

FZZ

Banned
CnnFHTUVMAAUPZ-.jpg

CnnFHTUVUAEOlrw.jpg

CnnFHTSUkAASuer.jpg

Quenk

Slow Hbox sets can be boring sometimes but then you get sets like against Shroomed yesterday. That was one of the most entertaining ones I saw all weekend.

Edit: I wish we got an Armada-Mango set somewhere in there.

emb

If I had missed this and looked at the bracket later, I think I'd have seen it and thought "meh". Happy for Hbox taking it, impressed with Plup's upset, good stuff S2J. Other than that, pretty run of the mill.

Actually watching it though, it was so good. Everyone kept it respectable, and grand finals had such clutch moments.

Codeblue

Maybe it's because I was in the arena and everyone was electric, but I thought that was an amazing top 8. People straight up booed HBox during his first top 8 against Plup and were hype for every rest during grand finals. People were losing it for every button pressed at the end of both sets.

It was nice to see him win the crowd over and finally see all his hard work materialize into the trophy he's been hunting for years.

Also, I would have never heard the end of it if I wore his green shirt and he lost.

#1 for the first half of 2016 without a doubt, but the gods looked really shaky this tournament. Might be a best of 3 issue, but if Armada had lost to M2K, there's a real chance we'd be talking about Plup being the first person since Leffen to steal a tournament from the gods.

Top Bottom