• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

FZZ

Banned
Eh... complaining onstage or in a streamed interview would be kinda shitty. Their schedule shouldn't have been that rough but there's a better time and place for complaining about it.

It was a shitty ass tournament

Second amount of biggest entrants in Evo history

Even Leffen thinks Smash 4 got fucked over

Quenk

It was a shitty ass tournament

Second amount of biggest entrants in Evo history

Even Leffen thinks Smash 4 got fucked over

Yeah but complaining onstage would be a pretty easy way of not being included next year. Idk it just seems like it'd come off as ungrateful. I think they should get as many top players together as possible and complain directly to the staff.

emb

I really don't get how S4 wasn't at least the last game today. Certainly it's the main event of the day, with the other high entrant events tomorrow. Then again I also think S4 earned a spot in the finals tomorrow anyway. :(

I really don't get how S4 wasn't at least the last game today. Certainly it's the main event of the day, with the other high entrant events tomorrow. Then again I also think S4 earned a spot in the finals tomorrow anyway. :(

Pokken/Killer Instinct moneyhats

also really just put Melee first up on Sunday and Smash 4 before SFV done

Quenk

Moving the finals would have been nice but I think the main concerns were running pools until midnight last night and then starting again at 8am this morning. Plus the issues with setups not having smashville and such.

Edit: Melee back on srkevo2 right now. Should be on 3 as well soon.

emb

Moving the finals would have been nice but I think the main concerns were running pools until midnight last night and then starting again at 8am this morning. Plus the issues with setups not having smashville and such.

Edit: Melee back on srkevo2 right now. Should be on 3 as well soon.
Yep, Melee time.

Losers on 2, winner's on 3 so far.

I wonder if Melee semis can match Smash 4 finals viewership again...then again Smash 4 kind of got screwed with the stream shenanigans this year.

Lucumo

Repeat from last year: Mango beating Ice in top 32 winners' side, having two stocks left each time and facing Plup afterwards.

emb

Lucky ;~;

He'da probably still lost, that's what happens when people take Armada to last game. But keeping it so close only to have 2.5 SDs is depressing.
switching between streams sucks
Yeah, a little bit. Wish each stream had some small indication of what's on the other 5ish streams. There's always multitwitch though.

Anteo

was watching a bit of pokken, look at the melee stream again, see shroomed at 3 stocks vs Hbox at 1 stocks. wtf did i miss

Quenk

Shroomed was so close. I'm really curious what he banned if not dreamland. The real question of that set is what the hell that dude in the Seinfeld shirt was doing

Huh this thread kind of died.

so, tomorrow's top 8:

Winners
Armada vs Mew2King
Hungrybox vs Plup

Losers
Westballz vs S2J
Mango vs PewPewU

edit: lol that timing

Quenk

Winners:

[A] | Armada x FOX MVG | Mew2King

Liquid | Hungrybox x PG | Plup

Losers:

G2 | Westballz x TEMPO | S2J

C9 | Mang0 x CLG | PewPewU

Edit: got beaten. Top 8 is gonna be good. Hungrybox looked beatable when he played Shroomed so I think Plup has a good shot at it.

Pappasman

zgUuUuy.jpg

emb

Final prediction (aka complete guess lol):
1) Hungrybox
2) Mew2King
3) Armada
4) Plup
5) Westballz
5) Mango
7) S2J
7) PewPewU

West/S2J feels like a toss up, but from what I could find Westballz usually wins. I love PPU, but I have a hard time seeing him win over Mango. Mango has to play Armada or M2K (I think) for 5th, so my guess is he drops there. Armada looks kinda shaky this weekend (not that it means much going into a new day tomorrow), so I could see M2K winning; I just kinda arbitrarily went with M2K losing in winner's and winning in loser's. That would need him to beat Mango Plup Armada in a row though, which is admittedly difficult to picture. Oh well, I'll run with it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What I expect:

QDj0UcW.png

Not what I hope to see though. It's hard to make hopes with the bracket laid out the way it is, but here's one of several hope options. You could replace S2J with Wes in that too.

I didn't realize how good Wes's losers run was. He beat SFAT, Axe, Nintendude, and Swedish Delight and only dropped a game to Axe. Really hope he keeps that fire in him tomorrow, he will probably beat S2J and if he's on point he can beat Mango if he gets to losers semis. I put the losers quarters backwards, it would be against Plup or Hbox, beating either of them would probably be the biggest roadblock between Wes and losers finals.

TheDanimal

I really hope it isn't Armada Hungrybox GFs. I need some variance in my Evos please.
Hoping for a ridiculous run from Westballz today, considering his run yesterday.
The big question is which M2K shows up today. Will we see him destroy Armada and/or buster out in losers? So many story lines :D

Quenk

I was wondering why Shroomed didn't ban dreamland against Hbox yesterday and some people on reddit mentioned that fd is the usual ban in that matchup. It makes sense that the platforms would help his movement and recovery options.

emb

Not going to be able to watch evo today but my only request to the smash gods is that Hbox is eliminated before grands.
I think we're all hoping for it.

I will say though, if Hbox makes it to grands I hope he wins. The dude puts in work, I'd like for him to take an Evo chamionship. Him vs Armada is so drawn out though, and him vs Mango has happened so much recently, I'd rather watch most of the other possibilities.

xezuru

Rick Fox told M2K that if he focuses on Melee and wins Rick'll get him all the doctors he needs.
Kappa.............

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
M2K winning would be so good. As far as players who have some realistic, non-0 chance of winning he's definitely the one I'd like to see take it.

Looks like Game and Watch is PM's Metaknight. People calling for bans and postmortem nerfs.

Takyon

I hope Hbox wins, just to show that hard work pays off.
Plus, he's the only player to make top 3 at every "modern" evo. About time he gets the crown.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hbox is probably the safest pick to win it all. Armada hasn't looked that strong this weekend and Mango needs a crazy losers run. M2K and Plup are the most likely of anyone else to beat Hbox, but those would still be considered big upsets.

I believe in the Mang0 run. As long as Mang0 plays aggressive, angry, and smart he can make it to grands. He still has a couple more Genisis 3, BH4, Press Start, and Pound 3 runs left in him. Then again in a huge fan boy. :p

Top Bottom