• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

I like that Plup got his shot at Armada. I almost want to see him take a set there than win a tournament; though, all the better if he can do both at the same time.

Quenk

ioR98mw.png

Codeblue

It was pretty evident during the awards ceremony that no one was more upset than Mango. He looked more depressed at the end than when he actually got knocked out.

emb

I just realized Mango got eliminated in the exact same way he was last year.
True, pretty crazy.

Last year: lost 1-2 to Plup in semis, won two matches in losers, lost 1-2 to Hbox in loser's quarters for 5th.

This year: lost 1-2 to Plup in quarters, won three matches in losers, lost 1-2 to Hbox in loser's semis for 4th.

Quenk

True, pretty crazy.

Last year: lost 1-2 to Plup in semis, won two matches in losers, lost 1-2 to Hbox in loser's quarters for 5th.

This year: lost 1-2 to Plup in quarters, won three matches in losers, lost 1-2 to Hbox in loser's semis for 4th.

The miom script writers got lazy

Lucumo

True, pretty crazy.

He lost in semis both years. I also already pointed out that he played Ice both times before that, each time winning 2-0 with 2 stocks left.

emb

He lost in semis both years. I also already pointed out that he played Ice both times before that, each time winning 2-0 with 2 stocks left.
Couldn't be semis this year could it? Plup beat Hbox in semis then went to WF. Good catch on Ice though, I didn't even think about that.

emb

Meant quarters, both times. Sorry :p

Plup then lost to PPMD last year.
Ahhh, I see.

That much closer to being the same then.

Also something I just remember: Leffen last year lost to Hbox then Plup, Mango lost to Plup then Hbox. Florida boys like to tear through Evo.

Fugu

Amazing grand finals. I will never understand people who trash HBox, as if it's bad for the game when people who don't main Fox win. His presence is drastically increasing the character diversity in podium positions and indirectly encouraging people to use other characters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing grand finals. I will never understand people who trash HBox, as if it's bad for the game when people who don't main Fox win. His presence is drastically increasing the character diversity in podium positions and indirectly encouraging people to use other characters.

I respect Hbox's play probably more than any other player, but I don't find a lot of his sets all that fun to watch. While this Hbox/Armada set turned out great, their sets are usually among the most boring to watch and make for an uninteresting grand finals. They usually go for really safe pokes, don't have any problems camping each other, and usually reset back to a campy position of bair walls on one side and lasers on the other.

Plus I want to see other players win. Plup winning would have been incredible, but he doesn't have an answer for Armada. Imagine if Leffen was here and was able to take out Armada, Plup/Leffen winners finals...

Daouzin

I was pretty concerned for the finals because of Armada and HungryBox, but like everyone else, they played out of their minds on Sunday.

Personally I think Top 8 was some of the best Melee I've ever seen in person and I've been to A LOT of events.

emb

I don't think character diversity is necessarily a good thing. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

But like, as an example, I'd rather watch a Fox ditto than a Jigglypuff vs Young Link match, even though the latter has two different characters. There's a qualitative aspect to it.

Mad respect for Hbox and what he does though, for sure. The dude is amazing, and honestly Jiggly is a really difficult character so it's that much more impressive.

Anth0ny

that was probably the greatest armada/hbox set of all time, at least. didn't see that coming.

my "this top 8 was boring" reverse-jinx worked! ^_^

even lupe said hbox winning was the best moment of evo!!!

Pappasman

I take back what I said. I haven't watched the set yet, but it sounds like hbox really earned that one and it's good to have this under his belt. No longer will he be the second-place king.

Fugu

I respect Hbox's play probably more than any other player, but I don't find a lot of his sets all that fun to watch. While this Hbox/Armada set turned out great, their sets are usually among the most boring to watch and make for an uninteresting grand finals. They usually go for really safe pokes, don't have any problems camping each other, and usually reset back to a campy position of bair walls on one side and lasers on the other.

Plus I want to see other players win. Plup winning would have been incredible, but he doesn't have an answer for Armada. Imagine if Leffen was here and was able to take out Armada, Plup/Leffen winners finals...
I find it interesting to watch two strong players camp each other and to see openings unfold slowly. It's not the high-octane clusterfuck of Fox dittos but it has value for being subtle. In most instances I'd rather watch a timeout than two minutes of combo vidoes.

I don't know. I find my enjoyment of Melee isn't affected too much by which characters are playing but I definitely get exhausted watching the same matchups over and over again. I'm happy about 20GX, I'm happy that at least one IC usually makes top 8 (...*crickets*), and I'm especially happy that someone other than Leffen appears to be making a run at the upper half of top 8.

emb

I find it interesting to watch two strong players camp each other and to see openings unfold slowly. It's not the high-octane clusterfuck of Fox dittos but it has value for being subtle. In most instances I'd rather watch a timeout than two minutes of combo vidoes.

I don't know. I find my enjoyment of Melee isn't affected too much by which characters are playing but I definitely get exhausted watching the same matchups over and over again. I'm happy about 20GX, I'm happy that at least one IC usually makes top 8 (...*crickets*), and I'm especially happy that someone other than Leffen appears to be making a run at the upper half of top 8.
I agree with most of that. Especially the bolded though, is important I think. The character matchups add spice, but the important thing is the people, how they do relative to each other, how close the matches are, and the passion on display.

You're also not alone in being happy to see ICs make it. Downright exciting, imo. Mostly because I always think it's possible for Wobbles or Chu Dat to beat almost anyone.

Codeblue

Fox-Puff is one of my favorite match ups at high level for the same reason I love watching Marvel. It's a lot of zoning and posturing, but you flub the tiniest little thing and you're dead. The punish game for both characters is so brutal on each other that is just makes for a perpetually tense situation.

Fox-Puff is one of my favorite match ups at high level for the same reason I love watching Marvel. It's a lot of zoning and posturing, but you flub the tiniest little thing and you're dead. The punish game for both characters is so brutal on each other that is just makes for a perpetually tense situation.

Yeah I like Peach / Falcon for similar reasons.

Anyways, coming down from that EVO hype, Friday is our local Biweekly's Two-Year anniversary. I'm amazed we've held together for so long, and I can't wait to celebrate.

Our local Pizza Place let me rent out room for 60 people and we've got 45 or so going. The rest of the room will go to Setups. Shame it'll be a private area so people won't just be able to come across us and watch, but still it'll be fun.

Being a TO is super tough, even for a Biweekly as simple as ours, but it's a hobby I wouldn't trade for anything.

Anth0ny

I don't mind Puff/Fox at all.

It's Puff/Peach at the highest level that has always been a hype killer. Luckily we probably won't be seeing that much anymore, certainly not in any top 8s.

I don't mind Puff/Fox at all.

It's Puff/Peach at the highest level that has always been a hype killer. Luckily we probably won't be seeing that much anymore, certainly not in any top 8s.

God I had to play that matchup twice in Houston when I was there for work.

I won one set, lost the other. But it's really about who gives up caring first.

GamerJM

Banned
I honestly don't mind Fox/Puff a whole lot, I just feel like I've seen the matchup too much. Honestly it doesn't feel like there's enough variation compared to other matchups since the Puff is always HBox and a lot of the Foxes do similar things against Puff. I also think the other potential matchups we could get, like Fox/Falco and Fox/Marth are way more fun to watch.

Anth0ny

we really need another top level puff to mix things up, I agree. it's incredible that hbox has literally single handedly kept that character relevant.

come back to 420puffpuff mang0 ; _ ;

Quenk

we really need another top level puff to mix things up, I agree. it's incredible that hbox has literally single handedly kept that character relevant.

I'd rather see mang0 figure out something crazy with his marth and use that against hbox

GamerJM

Banned

I used to think Mango going back to Puff would be perfect since Puff is really good against Peach so it would help him in the counterpick war against Armada, but ever since he picked up Marth I think he has enough characters. He also said that Puff just doesn't really fit his playstyle, and that he only mained her because of King's old school combo video, which makes sense.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like VGBC's youtube channel is screwed unless support can fix it. Apparently some dope he brought in to help renamed every single video on the channel. Now finding any content from VGBC is going to be a pain in the ass.

I also didn't realize VGBC never fully recovered from dropping PM, they lost a TON of subs from the PM community and apparently haven't gotten them back through other games.

Looks like VGBC's youtube channel is screwed unless support can fix it. Apparently some dope he brought in to help renamed every single video on the channel. Now finding any content from VGBC is going to be a pain in the ass.

I also didn't realize VGBC never fully recovered from dropping PM, they lost a TON of subs from the PM community and apparently haven't gotten them back through other games.

Hey chaosblade, which Serge vs Darkfall match is your favorite? :p

I gave GimR so much crap at Paragon LA 2015 when I saw him in the Lobby, him with his VGBC shirt and me with my PM shirt.

It was all good natured but I know some of the more hardcore PM only players really were upset with VGBC. Them never outright releasing the old PM vids to be hosted somewhere else was also a thorn in the PM scene's side.

But I understand why.

However, I'm having a bit of a laugh at letting someone randomly test a script out on your massive YouTube channel. I'm sure YouTube can just revert changes back but that's a hard lesson to learn. Keep a side account for testing stuff like that.

Speaking of vids, I never posted our local group's two year anniversary Melee crew battle!

https://youtu.be/0Zz2WZZw9t0

I took 7 stocks myself, felt pretty good fam.

Anth0ny

pewpewu is doing home run contest trick shots on his stream

just got 420 with ness

legend

he's trying to get 333 with link and just got 332 and 334 lol

Codeblue

pewpewu is doing home run contest trick shots on his stream

just got 420 with ness

legend

he's trying to get 333 with link and just got 332 and 334 lol

I watched the VoDs for this, and my controller would have been through my screen at multiple points. His patience is more impressive than anything. Guess that's why he's a top player though.

I watched the VoDs for this, and my controller would have been through my screen at multiple points. His patience is more impressive than anything. Guess that's why he's a top player though.

No lie, at a tournament in Fresno after losing to SFAT in top 8 I saw him spike his water bottle off the stage and it landed in someone's box lunch.

She was pretty upset but then he apologized about it. Was a million to one shot.

xezuru

No lie, at a tournament in Fresno after losing to SFAT in top 8 I saw him spike his water bottle off the stage and it landed in someone's box lunch.

She was pretty upset but then he apologized about it. Was a million to one shot.

Well if Nintendo would actually influence the Smash community maybe we'd be at the point where the bottle could've meteor cancelled. Looks like for now she had to hold that L.

Not entirely related to Melee but a similar Smash related story - when Nairo got eliminated at Pound this year he was so upset that he spiked his glasses and one of the lenses popped out which flew at high speed and missed my face by about an inch .

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
M2K warming up against Doc. Crowd was yelling 4 stock, so M2K SD'd and flipped off the crowd.

So then they yelled JV before he finished the game and cheered when he won and M2K was looking all pissed off.

Guys.

Guys.

Our local streamers never show up to tourneys so I bought 3 LGPs to record matches to SD cards.

I kinda hate being the TO that's putting 90% of the effort into keeping things going, but we break even every time I run a tournament and I get to add extra venue fees to the pot bonus so I'm not all that upset about it. Just wish it wasn't just me handling it all.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I thought SFAT had that when M2K dropped the edgeguard. Such a close set.

If him or Wes take the tournament that would be pretty crazy. Seems doable for both.

SFAT had that win, dropped the edgeguard.

Double eliminated. Impressive.

Top Bottom