• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
if sfat thought fox beats marth on fd, why did he pick marth lol

Because he got bodied the first time.

I'm pretty sure he mentioned it on his stream the other day I popped in to. It basically boiled down to "Marth and Fox both destroy each other with combos but Fox can escape the chaingrabs if you execute perfectly." Leffen is actually a good example, he gets out of Marth chaingrabs a lot and has solidly beaten M2K on FD.

From that perspective I think it's probably an even matchup, with the advantage swinging heavily to whoever is better versed and experienced in it.

Anth0ny

mango's playing puff on his stream right now

"I've had the urge to play her recently"

it's happening, friends. mango is finally going back to his main after 6 years of fucking around with everyone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Slippy skin really got me. But yeah, like most of his "what if" videos, that's crazy broken.

Funny thing is that it's mostly just Falco but with Fox's superior movement.

Codeblue

Not sure what the point of Mango playing Puff would be. What match up does Puff do better in that Marth and Fox don't have covered?

I guess if you're really struggling against Peach. Can't say I understand what he's going for but I'm super excited to see what an aggro Puff would look like today.

Anth0ny

Not sure what the point of Mango playing Puff would be. What match up does Puff do better in that Marth and Fox don't have covered?

I guess if you're really struggling against Peach. Can't say I understand what he's going for but I'm super excited to see what an aggro Puff would look like today.

I don't think it's a matchup thing. a puff just won evo. in the right hands, that character is deadly.

i love to see mango give puff a serious try again, but I don't think it's happening :(

GamerJM

Banned

Peach and also the ditto. Both are important matchups though, Armada plays Peach and HBox plays Puff so those are probably his two most important matchups to deal with atm. It would give him another advantage in the counterpick war vs. Armada. If Mango Puff beats HBox in the ditto then that could potentially give him some trouble. Fox obviously has a much better matchup vs. Puff but HBox has significantly less experience with the ditto. Idk shit about Puff dittos though so I dunno if a Puff in the style of Mango's would fare well against Hbox.

I don't think going Puff is necessarily the best for Mango though. I think he really needs to just focus on Fox/Falco/Marth, if he keeps switching characters he'll spread himself thin and all three of his characters look amazing right now, he just needs to tighten them up.

Bakkus

Regarding counterpicks, does it have any rules? Like if Armada sees Mango change to Marth, can't he change to Fox simultaneously?

Quenk

Regarding counterpicks, does it have any rules? Like if Armada sees Mango change to Marth, can't he change to Fox simultaneously?

After the first game in a set the order goes: loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.

I don't think there's a hard rule on counterpicking at the very start of the set but players can ask for a double blind pick where they each tell a third party which character they will play in the first game.

Bakkus

After the first game in a set the order goes: loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.

I don't think there's a hard rule on counterpicking at the very start of the set but players can ask for a double blind pick where they each tell a third party which character they will play in the first game.

Ah, thanks, so if for example, someone tells M2K they're going to somewhere other than Dream Land and he switches to Marth. They can't suddenly choose Dream Land on the stage list?

Anth0ny

giphy.gif

Quenk

Don't forget Dave's Stupid Rule:

You can't counterpick to a stage you won on in the set.

Some tourneys save that for Bo5 sets though, where there are no stage bans.

Yeah. I was focused more on character picking stuff. I didn't mention stage striking or bans either.

Does modified DSR still get used?

emb

Wait, Mango's going to jail?!
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dave's_Stupid_Rule

It's not a stupid rule, it's just got an odd name origin lol.
I still don't get why it's called that.
Mango/s2j in grand finals of ssc doubles. Mango finally motivated for doubles again?
I didn't get to catch a lot of it, but the last few games of doubles, at least, were pretty crazy. It's also crazy that PewFat wasn't in grands.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realize SSC was this weekend.

And Revival of Brawl is a thing. I don't see why anyone would want to "revive" Brawl though, Smash 4 is basically Better Brawl.

Tomohawk

Maybe i wasn't paying attention but the editing of the pound 3 and tbh4 stuff confused me, but other than that pretty excited. Hope the graphics are better for the final product too.

emb

Smashcon bracket is crazy. Bottom half of loser's bracket in particular. Should be a good show tomorrow.

A guy named Dave came up with it.

"The rule is named after the smasher Scamp. "
That much I got, plus I always figured the inventor was named Dave. I just don't get why it's stupid.

I also always hear it and wonder, is stupid there supposed to be like "Dave's rule that is stupid" or "Dave's rule that's about stupid". For the former I guess people started out being tired of worrying about it, for the latter I would think it's a reference to how dumb it can be when you have to play vs Marth FD or Peach DL more than once a set.
The first clip from the Smash documentary sequel by Samox. I think it was shown on stream at SSC. It's pure, unadulterated #mangonation hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVuYrFXY7k
Maybe i wasn't paying attention but the editing of the pound 3 and tbh4 stuff confused me, but other than that pretty excited. Hope the graphics are better for the final product too.
Fantastic trailer. I agree though, mixing those two bracket runs together was confusing. I'm hoping that's just for the sake of showing off the clip, not a cut from the doc. It does say excerpt though.

GamerJM

Banned
I didn't realize SSC was this weekend.

And Revival of Brawl is a thing. I don't see why anyone would want to "revive" Brawl though, Smash 4 is basically Better Brawl.

Some people who were originally in the Brawl scene prefer Brawl. It has different advanced techniques, some people like the slower/more defensive pace of the game, and some people like the viable Brawl characters more than the viable Smash 4 ones. These people seem to be a minority though. I'm really interested to see how successful this tournament will be, my guess is that it won't get a lot of entrants and Brawl will always remain sort of a niche side event thing. I think it's cool that its fans are trying to revive the scene but I think the truth is that competitive Brawl will never have widespread appeal.

Codeblue

Wizzy taking foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer to get the match started, immediately SDs. Not sure I've ever been more satisfied at an SD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know what happened but this delay might kill SFAT's momentum.

Wait, replaying game 4? With sudden death rules? Whaaat?

Or not. Replaying game 4.

Codeblue

Not that it would have changed anything because Mang0 would've run it back anyway, but they really should have just given that game to SFAT.

Edit: M2K, man.

Quenk

Don't know what happened but this delay might kill SFAT's momentum.

Wait, replaying game 4? With sudden death rules? Whaaat?

Or not. Replaying game 4.

TV went out as mango got thrown :/

Really unfortunate for SFAT but I can't fault the decision to remake.

Tomohawk

This tournaments been so nutty. I was hoping to see how Amsa learned to deal with pewpewu's fox but he got demolished, glad Axe is doing well in top 8 though.

Codeblue

Gets double eliminated by SFAT last week, looks unstoppable this week. Hope he finds some sort of consistency and it looks more like what we just saw.

Pappasman

Mango played super clean. Really good stuff to see. By the last game Hbox was just mentally broken.

As for M2K, I'm still holding out hope...
swe9EgE.png

Codeblue

Mango played super clean. Really good stuff to see. By the last game Hbox was just mentally broken.

As for M2K, I'm still holding out hope...
swe9EgE.png

The last time this happened, M2K picked both Marth and Sheik against HBox with the mindset of "I'll pick these characters to show everyone I can't do it with anyone except Fox".

I think he's right. He would be doing better if he'd just drop Fox, and given he generally outclasses Sheiks that give HBox trouble, there's no reason not to. I think he's too stubborn to do it though.

Top Bottom