• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Codeblue

The rough part about a non-god winning, is that if multiple are in attendance, one of them is more than likely playing on fire.

Quenk

That up-air was sick. That didn't look like it should hit at all

Edit: The melee gods were on his side
Lce19Kl.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mango was playing really good today too. Says a lot about how SFAT is playing.

Hopefully he can keep it close against M2K in GFs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe he does well on it vs PPU. I know PPU really likes pokemon stadium which is probably the "traditional" pick.

Apart from maybe Dreamland which favors Fox a bit, I think the rest of the stages just give advantage to whichever player is better in the matchup.

Pappasman

Return of the King. The marth play was so nice, so clean. Every aspect of that set was in his control. Good job M2K. So happy to see Marth win.

Codeblue

M2K looking more and more consistent, all other gods looking unpredictable. I think SFAT makes a strong case for 7th or 8th. I'd put him right behind Plup at this point.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Plup on Fox. Lmao, that was hilarious.

Good to hear Mango thinks he amazing, I think he's underrating how well SFAT was playing though.

Bakkus

I remember just over a year ago Jason was the most depressive person I've ever seen. Talking about how he might just have a year left of competitive Smash due to hand problems and being close to suicidal. Makes me really happy to see how well he's turned around his life.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I remember just over a year ago Jason was the most depressive person I've ever seen. Talking about how he might just have a year left of competitive Smash due to hand problems and being close to suicidal. Makes me really happy to see how well he's turned around his life.

I'm wondering if Echo Fox is providing some support for him that we aren't hearing about. Because it seemed like things started really turning around for him around the time they picked him up.

Anth0ny

feeling pretty confident about sfat at #8 overall right now

plup is still #7 for now

then it's west/axe/shroomed/lucky/wizzy in some order

Anth0ny

haha that's fucked. 15 year old game, everyone.

nintendo needs to get in on a piece of this pie. there is no chance in hell they aren't seeing those numbers and salivating at the possibilities. they can EASILY monetize on the popularity of melee, and esports in general.

Melee HD with cosmetic DLC OUT THE ASS needs to be a thing. EZ MONEY.

xezuru

Do any of you guys care about the VIP room talk going on currently?

I think it's fuckin fine, Leffen and people should be thinking long term, if this community actually and truely wants to be respected then yes we should be doing stuff like other "real" sports. I can't just walk into the dug out and start telling Ichiro to sign my shit, that's unreasonable and most of the time it's their buisiness time so you're getting in the way and making them uncomfortable. It's a danger both to the player who sometimes just wants to get their shit done, and to the venue with constant clogging of areas making the M2K line fire hazard worthy and destructive of the con experience as well.

Having meet up periods and floats are fine, anyone disagreeing I don't know what the fuck you want, Melees top like 50 have spend over 5 years going to literally hundreds of tournaments to be where they're at, them being in their spot is earned and meeting times give order and dedication to hang out and do something special sometimes and plan for the big shit. That said, always remember VIP lounges are optional, this idea has already been tried out in multiple tournaments and people like Mango still hang out and barely use them.

Do any of you guys care about the VIP room talk going on currently?

It can go a lot of ways, really.

From a FB Smash group, here's what I put down:

If the tournament pays for a player to attend, they should mingle with non pro players as part of the event "sponsoring" them. Makes for a great experience and encourages players to come out and maybe have a chance to see the greats.

If a team sends them out then maybe practice rooms are a good idea, but friendlies and pools are good practice too. A hotel / space nearby to relax is of course a great way to make sure top talent is encouraged to come out.

The problem is when it swings too far one way or another. Stories of random players messing with pros, trying to hurt their hands, swarming them so they can't make it to their matches, etc. That can be stressful for players, and then you have pools on top of that. Pro players are used to tournaments but still that's why I understand why they would like some privacy.

LCS does this rather well, you can't meet / see players before the games, but after each set of games, there's about an hour of photo / talk time with the players. The area is staffed heavily so nothing bad happens to the players, and people get to see the pros they idolize. A friend of mine just about died happy getting to take a selfie with Bjergsen.

Also I feel no player should be floated, regardless of skill. Seeded higher in bracket yeah, but not floated out of pools or anything like that. If a player is truly pro they should have no problems consistently making it out of pools. I know a lot of pros dislike the tournament wait times that come from progressing in winner's bracket, but so do the rest of us.

That's where invitational like Smash Summit come in - they're invite only, exclusive to pro players, and are more relaxed as a result. If Nintendo did a Capcom Cup style circuit that would be great. EVO had a back room where players could prep, and that's great but not every major has the space / budget to do that. Hell most biweekly tournaments are run for 1-200$ and get by on the skin of their teeth. Smash has always been grassroots up until a few years ago, which is crazy to think about.

Hell you could even advertise a VIP lounge where top players get in for free and other tournament attendees / spectators could pay out the butto be in the same area. ESL One Frankfurt does this and it seems like a success and a good revenue source as well as a place for pros to "get away" from most of the public but still meet and greet with the more dedicated fans.

There's a lot of growing pains to the whole E-sports level of attention Smash is getting. There are a lot of ways it can go, and it'll be interesting to see how the VIP room talk is handled. It can be good for both TOs and Pros, but it can easily swing to benefit one side more than the other and leave the other unsatisfied.

Also y'all need to tell me when you play netplay usually. I wanna see how good GAF is.

Daouzin

It can go a lot of ways, really.

From a FB Smash group, here's what I put down:

Also y'all need to tell me when you play netplay usually. I wanna see how good GAF is.

I'll see if I can get my Netplay fixed, computer got messed up and so I got it repaired, but Netplay has given me issues ever since.

What days/times are you usually free?

I'll see if I can get my Netplay fixed, computer got messed up and so I got it repaired, but Netplay has given me issues ever since.

What days/times are you usually free?

Monday / Wednesday nights (6-10 PM PDT) I game for the most part, then it's whatever I'm in the mood for or people want to play.

Top Bottom